C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is it premature to start a C7 Z06 Z07 thread?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

The days of the LS7 and other 7+ liter engines is over.

The next Z06 will be a forced-induction 4-5 liter engine. Every rumor and comments from Tadge seem to confirm this. Supercharged or Turbocharged, apparently that is still undecided. GM, as a whole, has been rumored to ditch Supercharging for Turbocharging so draw your own conclusions. From my personal experience, turbo is always better.

To get an idea of what the next Z06 will bring to the table, just look at its competition. To compete with cars like the GT-R and the GT3, the Z06 will HAVE to have:

-Dual clutch transmission option
-550+ hp
-wider tires up front and in back
-dry sump, track-ready engine that can take tons of abuse
-significantly improved suspension over the Z51

I have absolutely no doubt GM can bring the last 4 to the table. They are world-class in regards to suspension and engine. My concern is the transmission, this is something GM can't quite figure out apparently. Kinda like the crap seats in the C6.

In 2014, if you want to play with the BIG BOYS at the track, you better come prepared with a dual-clutch transmission that can rapid-fire gear changes.

And going forward with the ZR1? I hate to say it but any more power than what the Z06 will bring is going to be worthless until GM looks at putting an AWD system in their cars.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,290 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

The next Z06 will be a forced-induction 4-5 liter engine. Every rumor and comments from Tadge seem to confirm this. Supercharged or Turbocharged, apparently that is still undecided. GM, as a whole, has been rumored to ditch Supercharging for Turbocharging so draw your own conclusions. From my personal experience, turbo is always better.

To get an idea of what the next Z06 will bring to the table, just look at its competition. To compete with cars like the GT-R and the GT3, the Z06 will HAVE to have:

-550+ hp

I have absolutely no doubt GM can bring the last 4 to the table. They are world-class in regards to suspension and engine. My concern is the transmission, this is something GM can't quite figure out apparently. Kinda like the crap seats in the C6.

In 2014, if you want to play with the BIG BOYS at the track, you better come prepared with a dual-clutch transmission that can rapid-fire gear changes.

And going forward with the ZR1? I hate to say it but any more power than what the Z06 will bring is going to be worthless until GM looks at putting an AWD system in their cars.

The car is nearly finalized, it's way too late for them to be deciding what method of forced induction they will use. If you mean it's undecided which rumor is true then I agree.

And like many, I really have my fingers crossed that they will release an LT1 version of the LS7 (sans cylinder deactivation). But logic (and the leaked CAD by Keeks) tells me it'll be a supercharged 6.2 liter powerplant. I don't by the smaller displacement FI engine rumor for this particular car.

Last edited by JockItch; 11-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM
CorvetteHustler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ksowul
Yes, and please don't bring it up again.
Who cares?

If you don't want to see another thread, do not open and read it.

It's a FORUM. Threads are missed, and some do not know how to search properly.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
ALLANB
Pro

To me this looks about perfect for the new zr1 and or z06.
Very similar to the treatment given on the zr1 c6. Offer carbon fiber rear spoiler, carbon fiber sideskirts and splitter
and the rest of difference are mostly in the engine compartment. I still think go 6.2 or 7.0 super or twin turbo on the zr1 aim for 650 to 700 preferably 700 to be over the mustang GT500 and new viper . Course viper and ford can also increase their hp but whatever that's the range the ZR1 should be in.
The z06 would be ok with 550 to 600 and I really don't think we are going to see some little 5.5 twin turbo in the z06 right now. NA 7.0 litre would make more sense ,be simpler with direct injection and VVT or even punch it out a bit to 7.4 litres..!

Now just make one in Atomic Orange!

And here is another render in blue .

Last edited by ALLANB; 11-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

-550+ hp

Th mclaren P1 just killed the ring record with 900+hp rwd... We are not at the limits of the rwd platform...
Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
CorvetteHustler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yenko boy
Th mclaren P1 just killed the ring record with 900+hp rwd... We are not at the limits of the rwd platform...
I agree 110%.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Me too. I also don't think it will need significant improvement over the z51 suspension. It obviously handles awesome and brakes amazing. They don't even need any extra bracing for the very so the chassis is plenty stiff. I think the hipo version will be cheaper because of this. Won't need to invest any extra money into chassis development. I think blown 6.2 roughly 600hp for z07. Zr1 Will see twins down the road around 700
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
Me too. I also don't think it will need significant improvement over the z51 suspension. It obviously handles awesome and brakes amazing. They don't even need any extra bracing for the very so the chassis is plenty stiff. I think the hipo version will be cheaper because of this. Won't need to invest any extra money into chassis development. I think blown 6.2 roughly 600hp for z07. Zr1 Will see twins down the road around 700

I do think they'll use carbon rotors, and all the body panels (that are still smc on the Stingray) will be carbon fiber.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Originally Posted by yenko boy
That's a mid-engine car. Yes, it's RWD but not really the same thing is it?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Originally Posted by JockItch
If you mean it's undecided which rumor is true then I agree.

And like many, I really have my fingers crossed that they will release an LT1 version of the LS7 (sans cylinder deactivation). But logic (and the leaked CAD by Keeks) tells me it'll be a supercharged 6.2 liter powerplant. I don't by the smaller displacement FI engine rumor for this particular car.
Sorry, that is what I meant (which rumor is true, not that GM is still deciding on which engine to use).

I really hope it's not the 6.2 supercharged. A turbo 5.5 V8 is much more interesting to me but I agree that it is probably unlikely we will see that engine anytime soon.

A LT1-ized LS7 would be the best option but I think GM has gone on record saying the 7.0 liter engine is now basically a lame-duck engine and won't be developed further.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 PM
bluedevilc7
Advanced

Originally Posted by CorvetteHustler
Who cares?

If you don't want to see another thread, do not open and read it.

It's a FORUM. Threads are missed, and some do not know how to search properly.
I agree! Nobody is forcing him to open up this thread. I personally enjoy reading something different than just base c7 everyday.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB
I have a few things on my wish list for the zo6 and zr1.
For the z06 hoping for NA 7.0 litre or 7.4 litre direct injection, vvt. Also if it don't got auto option, PDK or normal auto then not getting one . Power like to see 550 to 600hp.

Weight might be bit lighter than normal base car. Of course it should have wider tires ,fenders ,and like to see a lower intake type scoop on the back quarter panels behind the door like seen on some z06 renders.

They could put some carbon fiber factory options for the rear spoiler and maybe some side skirts and front lower lip like they had on the zr1 or they could leave those again for the new zr1. They could maybe have the car slightly lower factory or possibly use an adjustable system for ride height like have on my SL55.

That car lowers automatically at higher speeds or you can lower it or raise it manually ,a handy feature depending on situation like higher driveways.

I don't think they have to do much exotic on the z06 or zr1 in terms of frame, floors, but they still might be able to shave a 100 or so pounds off these models.

I would like to see the top zr1 being at least a 6.2 or bigger engine supercharged or twin turbo pushing out at least 650 to 700 hp.

Hoping to see return of Atomic Orange color on the z06 or zr1 as well and some different wheels optional on these cars too. And maybe factory could offer metal inserts like Racemesh makes for the vents ,bumper grill, etc.

Because there was no z06 or zr1 yet and because would wind up trading up the base car and likely lose a bunch of money from deprecation and taxes I recently bought a 2007 911 turbo.

Its unlikely I would buy a z06 or zr1 new as hate getting hit with huge depreciation prefer to buy one a few years old like did with my 2008 z06,my SL55 or my 911 turbo but of course its nice to order brand new and get the car exactly as you want to. Anyway hoping the cars come out soon so they can start depreciating. And if they don't offer auto or PDK on the z06 or zr1 then will guess pick up a base car. Got to have a new vette in the stable within year or two.
I agree with the first part that I put in bold- a big cube version of the LT1 would be very potent and wouldn't be subject to the heat related issues that seem to come with FI. For a car designed to see track action, this just makes sense.

However, I hope the second part I put in bold doesn't happen for selfish reasons. I'm not sure engineers would want the extra weight of adjustable ride height, but I won't pretend I know how big that penalty would be. More important to me is the extra cost of this and other potential technological upgrades. I'm really concerned that they could price the car out of my reach, and the reach of others who have traditionally been Z06 buyers in the past. Keeping things relatively simple and effective with price point awareness could make a big difference on the pool size of potential buyers. Let the ZR1 be the high dollar car at the top of the line and keep the Z06 reasonably available.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 AM
neveo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

been waiting since i sold my 08 s/c zo6, had a smile every time i drove it and looked at in the garage, but at the end of the day the interior just seemed cheap. getting the its been a good year and the best xmas present is the one i get for myself so i need a new toy kinda feeling. just can't see myself with the lo po version
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

nope

Quick Reply: Is it premature to start a C7 Z06 Z07 thread?