C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Speculation: What are the Z06 upgrades?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Runge_Kutta
I have no idea what they're talking about in this patent but there is a 0.1% chance it relates to driveshafts.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20130278016.pdf

Pushrods??
If driveline can be made of CF, can half shafts, for example? Can differential case be made of anything lighter than current material? That's what I am talking about.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
If driveline can be made of CF, can half shafts, for example? Can differential case be made of anything lighter than current material? That's what I am talking about.
I have no doubt that driveshafts and half-shafts can be made from much lighter materials. To me, the question is whether it can be done cheaply, on a large scale and offer significant weight reduction or performance enhancement.

My best tact on figuring out what GM is likely to do is watch their patent stream. I have seen nothing in these patents recently which talks about lightweight shafts like driveshafts or half-shafts. Also, nothing on differential cases or rearend housings. It could be that there is little that is patentable here.

But, there is a big push to get rid of big, heavy iron/steel items and replace them with aluminum or magnesium. I think we'll start seeing aluminum brake rotors with iron/steel rotor friction surfaces. Magnesium is sometimes used for transmission cases. There is even very serious talk about magnesium cylinder blocks.

So, the driveshaft, half-shafts, differential case and rearend housing would seem to be "low-hanging" fruit for those trying to reduce vehicle weight. Maybe the problem here is that the focus these days is on the front end of the vehicle.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...mccarty_12.pdf

http://www4.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...luo_2013_o.pdf

In principle, logic says that when aggressive weight loss is needed, the parts that you are focusing on are very good candidates to go on a diet.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Matt's C7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vansteel corp. makes half shafts and drive shafts out of carbon fiber, and even have off-the-shelf parts for vettes. They also do custom work.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I have no doubt that driveshafts and half-shafts can be made from much lighter materials. To me, the question is whether it can be done cheaply, on a large scale and offer significant weight reduction or performance enhancement.

My best tact on figuring out what GM is likely to do is watch their patent stream. I have seen nothing in these patents recently which talks about lightweight shafts like driveshafts or half-shafts. Also, nothing on differential cases or rearend housings. It could be that there is little that is patentable here.

But, there is a big push to get rid of big, heavy iron/steel items and replace them with aluminum or magnesium. I think we'll start seeing aluminum brake rotors with iron/steel rotor friction surfaces. Magnesium is sometimes used for transmission cases. There is even very serious talk about magnesium cylinder blocks.

So, the driveshaft, half-shafts, differential case and rearend housing would seem to be "low-hanging" fruit for those trying to reduce vehicle weight. Maybe the problem here is that the focus these days is on the front end of the vehicle.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...mccarty_12.pdf

http://www4.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...luo_2013_o.pdf

In principle, logic says that when aggressive weight loss is needed, the parts that you are focusing on are very good candidates to go on a diet.
Aluminum is not going to be on any part of a brake rotor. It's not a good material for what a brake rotor goes through. They'd crack and break even if the friction surface was still the standard material. Otherwise we'd already have seen it, guaranteed.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

I think the idea of a cooler operating centri blower located in the intake along with DI to keep the compression high and beneficial throughout the entire RPM range is jaw dropping inovation

Will it appear in the new Z06? I hope so!

What about the new types of "composite" wheels for huge drops in weight where it matters most........ these are the things along with other weight saving methods that will shatter the ring times normally associated with everyday production cars

However the new Z appears things are looking up for true corvette enthusiasts everywhere
Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

The problems associated with CF drivetrain parts and in particular axle components is with the shock transmitted through the combination of sticky tires and high rpm launches.

As long as the car is not used drag racing they are great. I have seen warning notes included with CF axle parts not to use them for drag racing or serious life threatening failure WILL be the result
Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Hopefully we can get the new Z without the damn F55 mag shocks....hopefully it is not standard.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

The upgrades will be:

1. Z06 emblem embroidered into the seat headrests
2. Cheap pin stripes down the sides
3. $30K+ price increase

Then GM will call it a day. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
will the lighter internals give it a few more hundred RPM of rev range?

I say redline is increased to 7000 rpm.
It's certainly possible. I'm hoping for a carbon fiber driveshaft. It would certainly save mass and allow it to spin quicker.

GM is producing exotic materials relativity inexpensively lately so I'm sure we'll see a few new weights savings techniques.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by LFZ
Hopefully we can get the new Z without the damn F55 mag shocks....hopefully it is not standard.
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the spool valve dampers like the ones on the Z/28. It's the only current production car to use that kind of F1 technology. It would make for an insane track animal but you wouldn't have the electronic adjustability of the mag shocks. Maybe they can make it optional.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

-I would like to see weight reduction but the cost of that can be very high. I would like to see light race seats that actually hold your azz in place!!
- A factory no lift shift would be great!
- With it already being supercharged the power will be find so next a DCT or a really tough transmission.
- I'll take an extra 30 lbs for a really nice stereo, i might be biased to this but i need a good stereo in my car.

Other than that GM has done a great job so far from the looks of it.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 AM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Aluminum is not going to be on any part of a brake rotor. It's not a good material for what a brake rotor goes through. They'd crack and break even if the friction surface was still the standard material. Otherwise we'd already have seen it, guaranteed.
That's actually not true, and aluminum is a common material used for rotor hats on 2 piece rotor applications (actually I can't think of ever seeing anything else but that's just from the applications that I've looked at):

Here is an example:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...and-sport.aspx

I believe the hats on the current vette carbon ceramic brakes are also aluminum...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Bonnetts02Vette
Pro

I'm hoping they keep the Z06 as a Manual only transmission option and keep it a proper sports car.

Automatics ruin a car IMHO.

Jeremy Clarkson is never wrong lol.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnetts02Vette
I'm hoping they keep the Z06 as a Manual only transmission option and keep it a proper sports car.

Automatics ruin a car IMHO.

Jeremy Clarkson is never wrong lol.
Enjoy your stick and clutch, there days are numbered.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

On mine? hmm...tune and headers should have me in good shape, pulley if i get stupid.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoX2008
That's actually not true, and aluminum is a common material used for rotor hats on 2 piece rotor applications (actually I can't think of ever seeing anything else but that's just from the applications that I've looked at):

Here is an example:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...and-sport.aspx

I believe the hats on the current vette carbon ceramic brakes are also aluminum...
Good point. I didn't consider 2-piece designs.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZb-y6Nrx

GM patents and Patent Applications
==================================
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120312647.pdf
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8408369.pdf
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8210232.pdf

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...technical.html

Get notified of new replies

To Speculation: What are the Z06 upgrades?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shurshot
The problems associated with CF drivetrain parts and in particular axle components is with the shock transmitted through the combination of sticky tires and high rpm launches.

As long as the car is not used drag racing they are great. I have seen warning notes included with CF axle parts not to use them for drag racing or serious life threatening failure WILL be the result
It's fine to criticize my posts but I would appreciate it if you would show me where I have specifically stated the idea of carbon-fiber drive/half shafts. Wagging your finger at me for something I haven't said is not very helpful for anyone.

On a more technical level, I stand by my comment that lighter alternatives are quite possible. Without seeing any GM patents, I don't know what they plan on doing with the Z06 driveshaft but I think aluminum MMCs is where a betting man might want to put his money.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see the base Z06 equipped with 2-piece steel rotors as we saw in a couple of the spy shots. This would allow a more attractive base price. The carbon composite rotors and a few other items could be part of an optional Z07 performance package. Weight and performance figures would be quoted "* with optional performance package".

As Dave Hill did with 2006 Z06, seats and options should be very basic the first year to achieve optimum weight and performance goals. The next year after the C7Z's performance reputation is established they can add optional full power articulated seats and all the comfort options that Corvette buyers demand. As happened after 2006, typical Z06 prices will likely rise considerably in subsequent years.

Last edited by ZL-1; 12-18-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

OK, so what goodies did they add to make a regular C7 into a Z06?

Here's my guess:

Supercharger (obviously)
Compression ratio 10.0:1 or more
Cam-in-cam camshaft
gamma-TiAl connecting rods
gamma-TiAl valves
Titanium exhaust
Brembo carbon composite brakes
Magnesium inner door panels
Lighter/stronger driveshaft
Magnesium engine cradle
Lighter/smaller magnetorheological shock absorbers
Aluminum/Magnesium wheels
Carbon fiber body panels

I am hoping that they get some weight out of the car. Next, I'm hoping that they can keep the price differential between the C7 Z51 and the C7 Z06 small. With C6, this differential got too large. Lastly, I hope they broaden their audience (paying customers) by included options like the automatic transmission and the convertible.

We may see some hints on how GM is going to deal with the upcoming 2016 mileage standards by looking at the Z06. To me, this means getting the eight-speed AT out and ramping up the magnesium sheet metal stamping.

What I don't think we'll see is polycarbonate side or rear windows.

I'd be surprised if they could get more than 100 pounds out of the car.
-50lbs with carbon fiber wheels. Won't happen for a while, but watch this technology hit the market. Right now our 2777lb ULZ715 has the only set in the World on a the Corvette platform. They shaved off -50lbs of unsprung, rotating, curb weight vs. our OZ Ultraleggera Wheels/tire combo.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 01-04-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speculation: What are the Z06 upgrades?