C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 or a Z51 for the Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM
kiteboardr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Z06 or a Z51 for the Track?

Assuming the Z06 LT4 is going to be S/C was wondering what you guys would rather have for the track (road course). Would you rather have a Z51 (possibly modded) and keep N/A or go with Z06 and keep it stock?
I realize price may or course be a factor but lets assume for argument sake there is a similar price spread as C6 C6Z.
My experience with a modded Twin Turbo BMW at that track has been a PITA due to heat soak.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

FI here in Phoenix would blow on the track after a couple of laps I would imagine.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 AM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really hoping for NA, lighter, less complex and less heat.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 AM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiteboardr
Assuming the Z06 LT4 is going to be S/C was wondering what you guys would rather have for the track (road course). Would you rather have a Z51 (possibly modded) and keep N/A or go with Z06 and keep it stock?
I realize price may or course be a factor but lets assume for argument sake there is a similar price spread as C6 C6Z.
My experience with a modded Twin Turbo BMW at that track has been a PITA due to heat soak.
Was the BMW a factory twin turbo? Or did you put a bolt on system?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

No question the C6 ZR1 suffered from heat soak. Lets hope for the C7 Z06, if supercharged, GM has worked hard to prevent that. Its my opinion that is the main reason the C6 Z07 package turned lap times so close, or in somecases better, than the ZR1.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Its my opinion that is the main reason the C6 Z07 package turned lap times so close, or in somecases better, than the ZR1.
Heat soak had nothing to do with it; your opinion is invalid in this case. On tight tracks where the ZR1 wouldn't get its legs under it, the Z06 would barely beat it. On a track with any decent straights to it, the ZR1 would beat it down.

Folks have to get over this, "waaaaah ... heat soooooak!!!!" crying because it's actually not as significant a problem as people say it is. Can you cause a ZR1's engine to retard timing due to temps? Sure. If you track drive it heavily with the AC running on a 100º day. As it turns out: NA engines can and do suffer from heat soak as well.

Any close examination of the C7's aero and more specifically its engine cooling will make very clear that GM was planning on forced induction with this car, from the get-go. Unlike the C6, where it was shoe-horned in, the C7 has the right allowances for it as far as space and air flow are concerned.

I predict that any perceived "heat problems" with an FI engine will be put to rest.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

No question the C6 ZR1 suffered from heat soak. Lets hope for the C7 Z06, if supercharged, GM has worked hard to prevent that. Its my opinion that is the main reason the C6 Z07 package turned lap times so close, or in somecases better, than the ZR1.
The only tracks that the Z07 was faster than the ZR1 were the small very tight courses like the (1.5m) Spring Mountain Radical course and that had nothing to do with heat soak. That was due to the lighter weight and slightly better balance of the Z07 and the track being so tight and technical that the ZR1 could not make use of its extra power. The tighter more technical the track the closer the lap times between the ZR1 and Z07. Many of the ZR1 owners track ther cars and don't encounter heat issues until the ambient temps start getting to the 100 deg mark with stock boost. QUIKAG is running his near stock ZR1 in NASA TT1 with very good results. For those that run in high temps and have had heat issues, an upgraded radiator and maybe intercooler heat exchanger have solved any issues. We have never had a single published track review of the ZR1 where they complained about reduced lap times due to heat soak when it is mentioned for other cars like the GT500.

I think GM will contiue to improve on the heat management with the C7 FI varient.

Last edited by racerns; 12-06-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Well JVP beat me to it. That is what happens when you start a post and then let work get in the way of completing it. ;)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Heat soak had nothing to do with it; your opinion is invalid in this case. On tight tracks where the ZR1 wouldn't get its legs under it, the Z06 would barely beat it. On a track with any decent straights to it, the ZR1 would beat it down.

Folks have to get over this, "waaaaah ... heat soooooak!!!!" crying because it's actually not as significant a problem as people say it is. Can you cause a ZR1's engine to retard timing due to temps? Sure. If you track drive it heavily with the AC running on a 100º day. As it turns out: NA engines can and do suffer from heat soak as well.

Any close examination of the C7's aero and more specifically its engine cooling will make very clear that GM was planning on forced induction with this car, from the get-go. Unlike the C6, where it was shoe-horned in, the C7 has the right allowances for it as far as space and air flow are concerned.

I predict that any perceived "heat problems" with an FI engine will be put to rest.
Do you live in Arizona? Ever had a FI car in AZ? Cause I have!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by racerns
Last edited by racerns; Today at 10:16 AM. Reason: Well JVP beat me to it. That is what happens when you start a post and then let work get in the way of completing it.
Face it Neil, I'm just... faster.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Sorry to ruffle the ZR1 feathers... bottom line is look at the best ring times on both cars. The Z07 is only 3.28 seconds behind the ZR1 on a very long high speed track. The ZR1 with 130+ hp and tq advantage, not to mention tighter gearing to boot, on that long of a track should have had a much larger advantage. What could have held the ZR1 back? Heat soak maybe?
I have drag raced both my previous C6Z06 and my buddies ZR1. The two cars where about 0.3-0.4 and 5 mph apart. Hot lap them and the mph on the ZR1 would drop much more dramaticly then the Z06. For the sack of the original posters question I would say that heat soak can be an issue.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I will speculate that the C6Z06 given the early ZR1 gearbox and 3.90 diff gearing would have matched or beaten the ZR1 Ring lap time.

The LS7, early ZR1 gearing (1 - 6 in the TR6070) and 3.90 diff would make the C7 Z06 the perfect storm for the road course.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
kiteboardr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
Was the BMW a factory twin turbo? Or did you put a bolt on system?
It was from the factory, however I ran higher boost, eventually I add two oil coolers in series to get the temps under control.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Sorry to ruffle the ZR1 feathers... bottom line is look at the best ring times on both cars. The Z07 is only 3.28 seconds behind the ZR1 on a very long high speed track. The ZR1 with 130+ hp and tq advantage, not to mention tighter gearing to boot, on that long of a track should have had a much larger advantage. What could have held the ZR1 back? Heat soak maybe?
I have drag raced both my previous C6Z06 and my buddies ZR1. The two cars where about 0.3-0.4 and 5 mph apart. Hot lap them and the mph on the ZR1 would drop much more dramaticly then the Z06. For the sack of the original posters question I would say that heat soak can be an issue.
Heat soak will always be an issue on anything that has FI, all you can do is minimize it as much as you can, I'm surprised more people who have C6ZR1's don't use meth, it helps big time.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Sorry to ruffle the ZR1 feathers...
You're not actually ruffling feathers, more posting without any first-hand knowledge of the tech at play.

What could have held the ZR1 back? Heat soak maybe?
Certainly not in a sub-8 minute lap it didn't. Heat soak had nothing to do with it. Mero's already said that he felt more "nimble" in the lighter Z06 and therefore more comfortable in it. And he also ran the Z06's test after the ZR1's, which gave him a "warm up" of sorts for the new aero and grip that both cars had available to them (ie: tires, carbon fiber trim, etc).

For the sack of the original posters question I would say that heat soak can be an issue.
Drag racing aside (which has almost 0% to do with road course work), heat soak can be an issue. It can be an issue with non-FI'd cars too. Abuse either one of them without decent cooling, and you'll see both types of engines dial back timing.

A romp around a road course isn't going to cause that. You can argue with me all you want, but I have more than 3 years of DIRECT experience with the car on a road course. And summers in WV aren't necessarily... pleasant.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Certainly not in a sub-8 minute lap it didn't. Heat soak had nothing to do with it. Mero's already said that he felt more "nimble" in the lighter Z06 and therefore more comfortable in it. And he also ran the Z06's test after the ZR1's, which gave him a "warm up" of sorts for the new aero and grip that both cars had available to them (ie: tires, carbon fiber trim, etc).
Yes, the last time they were at the Ring (ZR1/Z06) they only took a very limited amount of timed laps. I think it was only 3 total, with the Z06 being the final run.

Last edited by racerns; 12-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Jvp, I am not arguing with you. You seem convinced that your knowledge is unsurpassed in this area. That might be. I am merely presenting a different perspective based not just on heresy, but real word knowledge. Dragracing is not roadracing. But heat soak is heat soak.
We are both 14 year members of this forum. I am sure we both have a lot more Corvette knowledge then the avg member. I know I have spent a lot of time on here over the years.

Last edited by C5 Frank; 12-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 or a Z51 for the Track?

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 or a Z51 for the Track?