C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 Weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The C7 seats are about 80 pounds apiece. The previous generation's were approx. 45 apiece. So they have gained a lot of weight to get the additional stiffness and style. Maybe comfort, too.

A cheap racing seat can be had that comes in under 20 pounds. If they went to an aftermarket vendor, I'm sure they could find some savings in that department.

As far as other savings, they could easily find a lot as long as they put the luxury and convenience advocates out of staff meetings.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Eric G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
You do realize the non-carbon C6 fenders were a mere 3lbs heavier, TOTAL(both), compared to the carbon Z06/ZR1 ones right? 15lbs is a serious dream based off that knowledge.
The data on the fenders you gave is inaccurate. According to the article posted on the carbon fiber development of the c6z06 fenders, the weight savings is 12 kg/26.5 lbs per car.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:28 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt they'll delete any creature comfort items in the name of weight savings, just my theory based on GMs past. I just wish they would atleast have optional seats with manual sliders and the ability to delete things not wanted. Everybody seems to advertise how much is standard on vehicles, but for me it's a bigger selling point to have a basic car that the customer can option as he sees fit! For me, all I want is good HP, tight handling, big brakes and three pedals! Those who want nav, heated seats, etc can check the box! Then those who want a light weight, no frills car can get it. I've always blamed the loaded option thing for the low fbody sales years ago. I never saw a basic Z28 on a lot when I was in college looking for a car. They all had leather, monsoon and power everything and were near $30k, too much for a young man wanting a fast ride, haha!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
You do realize the non-carbon C6 fenders were a mere 3lbs heavier, TOTAL(both), compared to the carbon Z06/ZR1 ones right? 15lbs is a serious dream based off that knowledge.
In addition, the body panels on the C7 are made of a lower density SMC then the SMC used on the C6 so there is even less weight that can be removed by going to carbon fiber then with the carbon fiber fenders used on the Z06 vs the base C6. The base C7 already uses carbon fiber for the hood and the roof panel, so no weight savings to be had there.

No way are they going to use polycarbonate on any of the windows.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

People have been wanting the 2900lb vette since the C5, it's not going to happen, the weight on these cars are offset buy all the new gadgets that make the cars faster in every way.
Either way the C7Z will probably be heavier that the c5 and c6 z, but one thing for sure is that it will dominate the C6z in every way.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eric G
The data on the fenders you gave is inaccurate. According to the article posted on the carbon fiber development of the c6z06 fenders, the weight savings is 12 kg/26.5 lbs per car.
The base C6 SMC front fenders weigh 6.1 pounds each and the carbon fiber Z06 fenders weigh 3.8 pounds each, for a weight savings of 2.3 pounds(4.6 pounds total). The weight of the C6 Z06 SMC rear fenders at 7.6 pounds so even eliminating the rear fenders completely, you would only save 15.21 pounds.

That 26.5 pounds is incorrect as it's impossible for them to lose 26.5 pounds going with carbon Fiber. Generally, going with carbon fiber only saves around 40%, so the front fenders would have had to weigh around 66 pounds for the pair of them when made of SMC.

The weight of the SMC hood on the C6 Z06 was 28.7 pounds and the carbon fiber version used on the Z06/Z07 weighed 16.2 pounds. a savings of 10.6 pounds. If the hood on the base C6 had been made with the same SMC used on the C7's fenders, then the carbon fiber hood would have been less than 8-9 pounds savings.

Then, when you factor in that the low density SMC used on the C7 weighs less than the C6's SMC, there is even less weight to be saved going with carbon fiber on the body panels.

Not saying there won't be any additional carbon fiber on the C7 Z06, but every pound saved over using the low density SMC will be very costly.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-07-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think that there is a little defeatism going on here bcause the base C7 came in heavier than people hoped. But what made it so heavy had a lot to do with perceived value as seen by the majority of their customers. That is, a smooth, quiet ride with lots of gadgets to preocupy yourslf with, a good sound system with as many speakers as can possibly be fit into the cabin, and any thing else with a high Gee Whiz factor.

For a smaller, but maybe more commited customer base, performance is the primary concern and for them, less is more. The fact that GM is releasing a car that outperforms the previous top dog ZL-1 and it doesn't have a radio says volumes to me.

As far as polycarbonate windows go, my understanding is that work is ongoing to create a coating with abrasion resistance and the product is seen eventually replacing all glass in all cars with the concern being the new ridiculously high EPA CAFE standards that are coming.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Still lots of places to look.

Carbon brakes (a given) -8lb/wheel
Non ZP tires (std MPSC) -7lb/wheel
Carbon wheels -10lb/wheel
Delete power seats + carbon race buckets -75lb
Lexan hatch -10lb
Carbon front wheel fenders -15lb in the front where it counts

The weight loss in the wheels would have a huge effect on handling.
On the ZR1 there was a net savings of 17.2 pounds(all four wheels) going with the lighter brakes vs the Z06.

The wider ZR1 wheels(most likely the same size to be used on the C7 Z06) weigh a total of 110 lbs. that's 15 pounds heavier than the C6 Z06. Then the ZR'1 tires weigh 132 pounds vs the Z06's 126 pounds.

That makes the larger wheels and tires heavier than the C6 Z06 by 21 pounds. I doubt the C7 Z06 will do away with run flats.

The combination of the larger(and lighter) brakes and the larger (and heavier) wheels/tires makes the C7 Z06 potentially 4 pounds heavier than the current C6 Z06.

So, we have approximately 4 pounds gain on the brakes/wheels/tires and then 3 pounds savings with carbon fiber front fenders for a 1 pound gain, not the 75 pounds loss you claim.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it is a given the C7 Z06 will weigh more than the C6 version. What worries me is if the C7 Z weighs more than the base C7 Stingray. It really is disturbing how the Base C7 came in almost 100lbs heavier than the outgoing base C6.

If the new Z06 comes in at 3400lbs or more it is a big step backwards in the entire ethos of the Z06.

Fingers crossed we don't get a porker in Jan.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 AM
OHV4LIFE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should ditch AFM. That alone should shed 50-75 lbs
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OHV4LIFE
They should ditch AFM. That alone should shed 50-75 lbs
Ditching AFM and going back to an aluminum torque tube, etc would shed 25 pounds, not 50-75 pounds. Now, if they then went even further and used a carbon fiber torque tube and prop shaft, they might save another 30 pounds, for total of 55 pounds.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

It might be heavier....but

....it's going to outperform the C6 Z06....and prob the C6 ZR1 in every meaningful way...

.....There's good weight and bad weight....supercharger weight is good weight
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM
raj
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I think it is a given the C7 Z06 will weigh more than the C6 version. What worries me is if the C7 Z weighs more than the base C7 Stingray. It really is disturbing how the Base C7 came in almost 100lbs heavier than the outgoing base C6.

If the new Z06 comes in at 3400lbs or more it is a big step backwards in the entire ethos of the Z06.

Fingers crossed we don't get a porker in Jan.
LOL on the porker comment! I hear ya - the Z06 used to be the Corvette's answer to Porsche's GT3 - street versions of their racing counterparts with significant focus on mass reduction over all else. I was amazed when the 991 GT3 came in under 3200 lbs despite having PDK and making nearly 500 hp (probably over 500hp in reality, judging by the 126mph traps), thus staying true to its moniker. If the Z06 goes the FI route, your worst fears may be confirmed. To paraphrase, power corrupts indeed, but doesn't fix everything.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

The C6 Z06 was a landmark effort for the Corvette engineers and will remain, in many ways, a technological tour de force. It was a ground up approach and the results were stunning. The ZR1 in my opinion was more for the waxer/poser/numbers crowd. Not that the ZR1 isn't an awesome car in it's own right, it was intended for a different buyer.

I have an uncomfortable feeling the C7 Z06 is just going to be the new ZR1 and will not be the simplified, focused car that many of us want.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
The C6 Z06 was a landmark effort for the Corvette engineers and will remain, in many ways, a technological tour de force. It was a ground up approach and the results were stunning. The ZR1 in my opinion was more for the waxer/poser/numbers crowd. Not that the ZR1 isn't an awesome car in it's own right, it was intended for a different buyer.

I have an uncomfortable feeling the C7 Z06 is just going to be the new ZR1 and will not be the simplified, focused car that many of us want.
I don't call a large displacement pushrod motor that all have valve train issues a landmark they have been around since the 60's, I sold my Z06 within 6 months of ownership, knowing it was a ticking time bomb .
GM may just go with 2 models, they don't need so many different models , the C7 z should smoke the ZR1 anyway, so there won't be a need for a ZR1, by doing that GM will go back to its roots as 100k is to much to pay for a corvette.
I bought my ZR1 at a dealer auction and certainly didn't pay anything near 100k, I sold 2 months later at a profit.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 12-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I don't call a large displacement pushrod motor that all have valve train issues a landmark they have been around since the 60's, I sold my Z06 within 6 months of ownership, knowing it was a ticking time bomb .
GM may just go with 2 models, they don't need so many different models , the C7 z should smoke the ZR1 anyway, so there won't be a need for a ZR1, by doing that GM will go back to its roots as 100k is to much to pay for a corvette.
I bought my ZR1 at a dealer auction and certainly didn't pay anything near 100k, I sold 2 months later at a profit.
Since the thread is about weight of the upcoming C7 Z06, I will argue the LS7 is more desirable than a supercharged 6.2. The ZR1 gained considerable weight even though it made greater use of carbon fiber and exotic brakes. The power adder and cooling gear are heavy. There is no arguing this point.

The LS7 still has much untapped potential, and is fundamentally a strong reliable power plant. There is no swaying the sky-is-falling detractors, but saying the LS7 is not a landmark power plant isn't even defensible.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls7/
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

It might be faster on most or all track than a c6Z06 stock (not that any who track are anymore)... But if it weighs more than a base C7, that's not the same as saying it is a great car to buy and track - assuming you have a budget of some kind. Weight means stuff wears out quicker, something I've learned from the C6Z06 (compared to say a miata).

I am of a soon to be extinct minority who prefers manual stuff and mechanical stuff and NA over autos, PDK's, electronic rear diffs, and FI. Primary reason is I like simple speed maybe even I can work on, and that can be reliable for days of track time on end as the C6Z06 is. The only issues I've had during track days to date are ALL electronic (knock on wood).

And a PS opinion.. As GM went to the ring in Sept and still there is no ring time posted for the C7, I assume it does not go around as fast as the "so much slower" C6Z06 and ZR1.

FI in a C7Z06 means I am not currently interested. But I do hope it is faster than the new GTR!

Last edited by 80atez; 12-08-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Weight

Old 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't see how it can weight less than the current C7, when it has another 50 or 60 lbs on the nose with the supercharger. If we're lucky it will weigh + or - 25 lbs of the current C7 Z51 car.

C6 Z-06 weight more than the C5 Z-06... adding a 100hp... does miracles. So they could be figuring the same recipe for the C7 Z-06, add another 100hp to make up for the increased weight.

Can't wait to find out!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Do you think the C7 Z06 will weigh more or less than the C6 Z06?
Yep. Probably so.

But the more important question is will it outperform the C6Z06 (and C6ZR1) in every performance category, while having a MUCH improved exterior, interior, luxury and technology.

Absolutely!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

If GM really wanted to, they could get this bad boy below 3,000 lbs but there would be some big sacrifices. Personally, if I could have a 600hp+ plus Vette at around 2,800 lbs with manual seats, no plushy interior leathers or carpet, lexan windows, no AC, and a Hollinger-like sequential trans, I'd be happy. Who needs AC when you can slide the windows down anyway for airflow?

Unfortunately, the majority of future C7 Z buyers are going to want mega watt stereos, heated/cooled everything, aromatic leathers, and the precious bluetooth-level tech hardware. People say they want a race car but they don't want race cars, they just want to be able to regurgitate the "Race car for the street" garbage. I think it would make yet another bold, great, and unexpected statement for the brand if they released a Vette like that. Just take the old L88 approach to weed out the typical big bravado buyers from those that REALLY want a hard edged track Vette.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Weight