C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 hurt C6 ZR1 values?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I bought a ZR 1, first week of production at sticker (not everyone was gauged). I think these cars will depreciate further when the C7Z06 comes out. Here are some thoughts:

- increase in supply, if you want something more powerful than a C7 you can buy a C6 Z06 or ZR1. Once the C7Z06 comes out, there will be an additional option AND some current C6 owners will trade up creating more supply
- as the ZR 1 is a limited and special car, it will not plummet. I would guess the floor for a well maintained one would be north of the price of a Base C7 with similar options. Someone will always prefer a used prior gen supervette to the current base. The limited supply of used ZR1's relative to the number of base C7 buyers should make this a reality (for well maintained cars)
- Personally, I waited excitedly for the C7. Thought I would be a buyer. Loved the Japolnik photos. Saw it in person at Detroit and something about it does not work for me. Parked next to one in the same color as my ZR1 and lucky for me, like the ZR1 more. May feel different when I see the new Z06 in the flesh and have a chance to drive.

It will be interesting and exciting but my prediction/opinion is a price drop but not less than a similarly equipped C7 and probably a premium to that.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
540Z28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold an '08 Z06 last November and purchased a new '13 ZR1. About Nov 2016, I oughta be ready to do something again. Regardless, what I do, I think this ZR1 is a keeper tho.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:23 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerski
Don't bother with Rock'n Blue 08, he has some sort of radar for any thread talking about a ZR1 and it's values (even if it's in a different section like this) and has this weird obsession with vehemently defending the car's honor. I posted a thread about hoping to pick one up in a few years with 40-50k miles in the 50s and he seemed to think it was impossible.

He's just in denial that the ZR1 is going to continue to depreciate just like the rest of GM cars...
Give it up! Zerski! Your making thing's UP now! You never said a few years with 40-50k in the 50's ! Not close to what you did say or claim! Can't keep it straight!

The C7 Z makes no effect on my car since I only gave 69,500 with 2245 miles! If anything it helps!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-14-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by howl
So, I bought a ZR 1, first week of production at sticker (not everyone was gauged). I think these cars will depreciate further when the C7Z06 comes out. Here are some thoughts:

- increase in supply, if you want something more powerful than a C7 you can buy a C6 Z06 or ZR1. Once the C7Z06 comes out, there will be an additional option AND some current C6 owners will trade up creating more supply
- as the ZR 1 is a limited and special car, it will not plummet. I would guess the floor for a well maintained one would be north of the price of a Base C7 with similar options. Someone will always prefer a used prior gen supervette to the current base. The limited supply of used ZR1's relative to the number of base C7 buyers should make this a reality (for well maintained cars)
- Personally, I waited excitedly for the C7. Thought I would be a buyer. Loved the Japolnik photos. Saw it in person at Detroit and something about it does not work for me. Parked next to one in the same color as my ZR1 and lucky for me, like the ZR1 more. May feel different when I see the new Z06 in the flesh and have a chance to drive.

It will be interesting and exciting but my prediction/opinion is a price drop but not less than a similarly equipped C7 and probably a premium to that.
Depreciation is to the purchaser! If you bought it brandused like Andy @ A&A says. You likely suffer much less!
First owner pays 12X,XXX. Drive's it 2k then it sits and sells for 50k less
the second owner can drive for much less cost!
It's the deal in the supercar world! The C6ZR1!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 AM
howl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Depreciation is to the purchaser! If you bought it brandused like Andy @ A&A says. You likely suffer much less!
First owner pays 12X,XXX. Drive's it 2k then it sits and sells for 50k less
the second owner can drive for much less cost!
It's the deal in the supercar world! The C6ZR1!
Right you are. Before the internet was popular, I had a friend who said the perfect system was to place you car magazines in the basement as they arrived,for 5 years. Them read them on a 5'year lag and go looking for 5 year old garage queens as if you were getting the most recent car. I should add he was extremely well to do and did not need this strategy, he just thought it was smart and the lowest cost way to pursue his passion and try lots of cars. In my case, I am not as disciplined and could not resist the temptation to get a first week of production car at sticker. It is one of six I have and has accumulated north of 20k (although looks brand new). As I mention in my first note, expect it will depreciate further but hold value above a new C7 and probably sit at 50% of sticker for a long time the way c4 ZR-1 has. With that said, no palms to sell so I have enjoyed it for 4 years and resale is academic - it was never an investment. With all that said, if you really want to drive and own pristine cars economically, buying low mileage 4 or 5 year old clean, we'll serviced cars is probably financially the lowest cost. So, I agree with you
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C7 Z06 hurt C6 ZR1 values?

Undoubtedly...it already has. Just like the C7 has hurt C6 base, GS and Z06 values.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Undoubtedly...it already has. Just like the C7 has hurt C6 base, GS and Z06 values.
I do NOT own a C6 ZR1, but can tell you if it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to swap my highly modified C6 Z06 for one I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think the C6 ZR1 at used prices is absolutely the supercar steal of the century...then just add another 10k and you'll have 750rwhp.

While I have no doubt the C6 ZR1 will be surpassed by the C7 Z?? it will be done with technology/electronics and sophistication but it will also weigh far more and ultimately have a much poorer power to weight ratio. Thing is, I believe for most driving on the street, power to weight is what makes the experience truly memorable and for that a modified C6 ZR1 will be hard to beat. On a track at an all out pace the new C7 Z?? will kick C6 ZR1 ***, but that's not the sort of performance that you're ever likely to be able to use on the street.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The base model C7 is close enough to the Zr1 in 1/4 times, C7Z06 is going to be at least 3 10's quicker , it doesn't even need 633hp.
All the old models will depreciate just as they have in the past.
The people who buy used ZR1's are going to be very happy people, I feel more sorry for current Z06 owners who want to sell, IMO it's the Z06's that are going to take the biggest hit, not the ZR1's.
whatever you are smoking please give it to the rest of us. It's not even close or in the same ballpark let alone same area code..

The C-7 is not close in 1/4 mile times! Here we go taking a one off time like 11.49. You need to compare a 10.66 time for a ZR!
Not real close trap either 136 to 119.XX
This..
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Give it up! Zerski! Your making thing's UP now! You never said a few years with 40-50k in the 50's ! Not close to what you did say or claim! Can't keep it straight!
!
Oh really?

Literally the first post in the thread I started in the ZR1 section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585429099-post1.html

Looks like you should hop in that ZR1 and head straight to the eye doctor.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Did the C2 cause C1 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C3 cause C2 prices to drop? Yes. Even the very rare high HP versions dropped since you could get the same or better HP options in the C3. Of course late C3 cars actually helped raise prices on C2s and early C3s since the late C3s were boulevard cruisers at best.
Did the C4 cause C3 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C5 cause C4 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C6 cause C5 prices to drop? Yes
Is the C7 causing C6 prices to drop? Yes, as supply is increasing the car performs on an equal basis with a C6Z up to an rpm range that most C6Z owners never venture into so it basically performs the same as a C6Z. Will the C7Z increase the movement away from the C6 no matter what flavor? Yes. Does the rarity of a C6Z or C6ZR1 factor into the equation? Not for the next 20 or 30 years.

New car fever and value for the dollar is what counts. With a current C7 you can get the street performance of a C6Z with a full warranty and all of the nice modern trinkets the C6 generation doesn't have. The C6ZR1 has little to no real street performance capability (no place to use the extra power, you really can't go wide open long enough to make a difference) over the C7. This is borne out on performance comparisons of the C6 GS, Z06 and ZR1 on short road courses like Carolina Motorsports Park where with an expert driver the GS does as well as a Z06 or ZR1 since the two more powerful cars don't have any place where they can use that power. On long tracks like the Glen where they can use the power they will leave a GS.

Now we have a car that throughout most of its engine rpm range has the power of a Z06, weighs about what a GS does, can corner better than the C6 generation and is even easier to drive close to the limit. It is easy to see, The king is dead long live the king.

Bill
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
The ZR-1 is probably the greatest US sports car ever made.

But the C7 Z06 will surpass it.
what about C7 ZR-1?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, big time
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
That is the natural order of all new cars. If you want an auto investment, you need a classic and better know what you're doing as you choose one. Autos as an investment are a "shot in the dark" and I bought my Z06 and subsequent ZR1 to drive when I want, enjoy, and not worry about it.

The biggest hit in resale is trading vs. selling outright for any car, any make, any model...
IMO... Keep them in as good condition as you can and move to the next one when you're ready.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut
That is the natural order of all new cars. If you want an auto investment, you need a classic and better know what you're doing as you choose one. Autos as an investment are a "shot in the dark" and I bought my Z06 and subsequent ZR1 to drive when I want, enjoy, and not worry about it.

The biggest hit in resale is trading vs. selling outright for any car, any make, any model...
IMO... Keep them in as good condition as you can and move to the next one when you're ready.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
As a non ZR1 owner who is in the market for one, I will be a little selfish and say... I hope the prices plummet!
They will
Old 12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope they do, because in a few years once my student loans are paid off I will add one to the stable with my c5 and gxp!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 hurt C6 ZR1 values?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zerski
Oh really?

Literally the first post in the thread I started in the ZR1 section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585429099-post1.html

Looks like you should hop in that ZR1 and head straight to the eye doctor.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r1-prices.html
I don't need a eye doctor but you need your brain checked!
I was answering your comment in your post number 7! Where you said ZR1 low miles are in the mid 60's which is and was a lie!
I bought mine 2250 miles 69,500 which was the best deal !
I shopped for 10 months! A 2009 with 45,000 miles in not low mile neither is 33,000 the 2 cars under 70k!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Works for me. I'm in the market for a ZR1.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Did the C2 cause C1 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C3 cause C2 prices to drop? Yes. Even the very rare high HP versions dropped since you could get the same or better HP options in the C3. Of course late C3 cars actually helped raise prices on C2s and early C3s since the late C3s were boulevard cruisers at best.
Did the C4 cause C3 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C5 cause C4 prices to drop? Yes.
Did the C6 cause C5 prices to drop? Yes
Is the C7 causing C6 prices to drop? Yes, as supply is increasing the car performs on an equal basis with a C6Z up to an rpm range that most C6Z owners never venture into so it basically performs the same as a C6Z. Will the C7Z increase the movement away from the C6 no matter what flavor? Yes. Does the rarity of a C6Z or C6ZR1 factor into the equation? Not for the next 20 or 30 years.

New car fever and value for the dollar is what counts. With a current C7 you can get the street performance of a C6Z with a full warranty and all of the nice modern trinkets the C6 generation doesn't have. The C6ZR1 has little to no real street performance capability (no place to use the extra power, you really can't go wide open long enough to make a difference) over the C7. This is borne out on performance comparisons of the C6 GS, Z06 and ZR1 on short road courses like Carolina Motorsports Park where with an expert driver the GS does as well as a Z06 or ZR1 since the two more powerful cars don't have any place where they can use that power. On long tracks like the Glen where they can use the power they will leave a GS.

Now we have a car that throughout most of its engine rpm range has the power of a Z06, weighs about what a GS does, can corner better than the C6 generation and is even easier to drive close to the limit. It is easy to see, The king is dead long live the king.

Bill
Side by side highway roll the ZR1 will pull hard on a 3lt Z51 C-7 which was more money. The Z06 will pull it too!
(Your kidding yourself on roll races too the faster trap says the Z06 is faster on the roll too!) (C-7 does well on the 60 foot after THAT NOT SO MUCH!)Than I paid for the ZR1! Which is the better car and buy! The C-7 will drop hard soon!
Already any C-7 can be had 5,000 plus under MSRP!
fastest C-7 11.49 Faster Z06 runs 10's !

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-18-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 hurt C6 ZR1 values?