C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

There may only be a Z06 and no ZR1......?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Well, they just sold two at $130k. Make mine a twin turbo

You can call it a ZR2..... I don't care
Brand new 3lz's 13's are going for 99k from a forum sponsor on this site, 89k for the 1lz, I paid 63k at dealer auction for a black 2010 2lz with 3k on the odo 24 months ago
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Brand new 3lz's 13's are going for 99k from a forum sponsor on this site, 89k for the 1lz, I paid 63k at dealer auction for a black 2010 2lz with 3k on the odo 24 months ago
Congratulations.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:54 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

In my opinion If its got a supercharger, its a ZR1, if it i naturally aspirated its a Z06.

GM, however, can name it whatever suits their fancy, But all Z06s of the past have been NA like their race counterparts.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

There will be a ZR1. I know a person at a supplier making parts for it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
In my opinion If its got a supercharger, its a ZR1, if it i naturally aspirated its a Z06.

GM, however, can name it whatever suits their fancy, But all Z06s of the past have been NA like their race counterparts.
I think it's really not a Z06 without a 36.5 gallon gas tank ..
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Been saying this for a while now. There are two things that will disappear from this 7th generation of the Corvette:

1) 7.0L engine

2) A "ZR1" model that starts over $100K

This is the new GM. The post-bankruptcy, post-Government Motors, post-bailout GM. They've learned from their mistakes and from offering too many models of same old formula. The execs running this company also understand the two above items, simply aren't worth the return on investment. Not when a supercharged LT4 can make much more 'reliable' power than a Gen5 version of a N/A 7.0L. We all know that while the LS7 was a incredible engine, it was not a reliable one. And thats a major concern when you are putting a 5yr/100K powertrain warranty on every car you sell. Do I even need mention the trend with every vehicle manufacturer is smaller, more efficient engines?

As far as the ZR1 model. It simply didn't sell well enough to warrant a return this generation. There's a very, very small market of people who are interested in purchasing a Corvette that starts over the $100K mark. Even then, those who did purchase a ZR1, mainly did so only with help of huge factory discounts. As if discounting the vehicle heavily wasnt enough, many ZR1's have already depreciated down to almost half their original MSRP sticker price. Meaning those people who were willing to purchase a ZR1 last generation, may not be as willing to purchase another $100K Corvette this generation.

The new GM is smarter. They've seen how poorly a $100K ZR1, GTR and Viper is currently selling. They know that a Z06, starting at $80K, can provide all the performance necessary to compete with cars costing $300K or more. And for those customers who want even more performance. GM can simply offer a menu of expensive upgrades & options on C7Z06. One of the best reasons to go supercharged, is that its very easy add more HP thru simple upgrades.
Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree. Even tho the Z dates back to the C2 and the ZR back to the C3, the C6 gen was the only time they both appeared in the same generation.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 PM
wgcatlga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
When? Any idea?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
I've also heard that part are already sourced for a new Vette as well that's due in a few years.

That's all I know guys but there will be a new Vette. It has to be the ZR1.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wishful thinking/dreaming on my part: There will be both a Z06 and a ZR1.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be a ZR1
It will be twin turbo
It will be AWD.

Why? Because I say so. haha.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM
HZ3
Racer

Half the reason I'm so resistant to purchasing a Z06 is because a Zr1 may kill it in every category in a couple of years
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Half the reason I'm so resistant to purchasing a Z06 is because a Zr1 may kill it in every category in a couple of years
So?

The Z will be a world class performer. If they come out with a ZR down the road that can incrementally outperform the Z, so what? It'll be one of the few cars on the planet that will be able to do so, and better yet, it's a Corvette brethren to boot. My ZR outperforms my Callaway in nearly every metric. Doesn't change the fact my Callaway is a blast to drive and darned few machines exist that can do what it does.

You can always wait for the next great thing. It may or may not come.

Another option - get the new Z and if in 2 - 3 years they release a ZR and it's a hot pile of sex you can't live without, then trade the Z for one.

All we know at this point is there will be a Z, and there might be a ZR.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had to place a wager on it, I would say no ZR1, but another HP, limited production model. I'm thinking more likely the rumored "Blue Devil" or L88 version with a different name than ZR1.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
HZ3
Racer

So? The Z will be a world class performer. If they come out with a ZR down the road that can incrementally outperform the Z, so what? It'll be one of the few cars on the planet that will be able to do so, and better yet, it's a Corvette brethren to boot. My ZR outperforms my Callaway in nearly every metric. Doesn't change the fact my Callaway is a blast to drive and darned few machines exist that can do what it does. You can always wait for the next great thing. It may or may not come. Another option - get the new Z and if in 2 - 3 years they release a ZR and it's a hot pile of sex you can't live without, then trade the Z for one. All we know at this point is there will be a Z, and there might be a ZR.
i feel you it's just I'm inn a situation where I want a car I can modify From day One and throw 30+ grand stripping and adding power to. If the ZR1 is a better vehicle I can sit and wait. I agree with you but I don't want to buy a 100 thousand dollar car to have it overshadowed in 3 years by the same exact make of car. If the Z06 performs better around a track I'll be fine. But deep down I want the best and if I have to wait for a first year Zr1 it will be tempting. I'll see the Z06 at the Detroit Auto Show and I'm sure it will help me decide.

I turned twenty seven yesterday and my daily driver is an SS Camaro with 40 thousand miles. In 2009 I was working on a garbage truck for 8 dollars an hour. I can wait I'm still driving a car nicer than I expected to at this age and that Camaro still brings a smile to my face when I'm having a bad day.

I just want the best I hope it makes some sense. and I am not entirely sure the r36 is going to be a smart buy going hybrid I see tuners struggling initially. I feel a lot more comfortable going All American with a 120 thousand dollar budget

Last edited by HZ3; 12-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

HZ - If you're comfortable modding and plan to do so anyway, then you could use either platform. There are some beastly modded vettes out there, and will be going foward with the 7 variants as well. In fact if you're planning to mod, many would suggest keeping the $ delta b/n the Z and ZR and use those $ for the mods. The "heirarchy" b/n the two machines resonates most in bone stock stock form (and then by incremental perf metrics). Once you go mod, the sky (and checkbook) is the limit with either one.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by HZ3
It also appears that the ZR1 is going to be a one-off model, completely separate from the C7 platform. If that's the case, it's going to cost a lot more than the Z06. I imagine it being a unique model like the Ford GT. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ZR1 priced close to 200k.

Get notified of new replies

To There may only be a Z06 and no ZR1......?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
HZ3
Racer

HZ - If you're comfortable modding and plan to do so anyway, then you could use either platform. There are some beastly modded vettes out there, and will be going foward with the 7 variants as well. In fact if you're planning to mod, many would suggest keeping the $ delta b/n the Z and ZR and use those $ for the mods. The "heirarchy" b/n the two machines resonates most in bone stock stock form (and then by incremental perf metrics). Once you go mod, the sky (and checkbook) is the limit with either one.
i could never go for a Base model for anything other than a DD as for modding a Z variant and passing on a ZR1 your logic is as sound as can be and I agree with you . Just part of me wants to join the ZR1 club before I hit 30 as an owner of one I am sure you can understand why that car turns heads including mine.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, they just sold two at $130k. Make mine a twin turbo
You can call it a ZR2..... I don't care
Maybe they will. There have been a ZR2 production (C3) and prototype (C4) model before.

Another option - get the new Z and if in 2 - 3 years they release a ZR and it's a hot pile of sex you can't live without, then trade the Z for one.
I wouldn't put it past GM to hope that some will do exactly that; you can bet quit a few current C7 owners will be upsold into the Z06. It's a pretty shrewd business model, and one which other companies use too.

I think when GM states "The Corvette Z06 will complete Chevrolet’s performance car lineup, which will also see the addition of the Corvette Stingray Convertible, Camaro Z/28 and SS sedan," they could be right in saying that, while also leaving open the option of a ZR1-type car later on down the line, especially if the economy picks up. They could mean that, as the Z06 has been in the works for some time, when it is released, it will literally complete the performance car lineup, as they currently have it planned. For the short term, that could be absolutely correct. But the performance car lineup is constantly evolving, in response to what the market will bear, and due to the simple fact that old models get old; there's likely to be a new-generation Camaro, with models that have even higher performance than the Z/28. To me, it doesn't sound like they're saying a ZR1-type car is off the table.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Congratulations.
You were the one who said they are still going for 130, you are one of those guys who thinks that their car will never go down in value, when fact is corvettes(yes even ZR1's) fall off a cliff I'm looking to buy an 08 viper with very little mileage on it, alond side it is a 2011 3lz zr1, they are asking just as much for the viper, corvette are made in to high volume to retain value, only the C1 ,c2, and some chrome number c3's( like the 68 or 69 big blocks are worth money as well as the 1970 Lt1, those days are long gone, hell I wasn't even born until 76.

Quick Reply: There may only be a Z06 and no ZR1......?