C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Will the new Z have a removable roof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The want of a removable hard top (NO longer a FRC) and the want for an automatic (a torque converter unit no less) is taking away the core value of what the Z06 is. Which is a track performer; apex eater, super car killer, bundle of fun.

It's just dumbing down the car to the point that the Z06 will just be sticker on the body panel. It's turning it from a poster car to something that appeals to the incredibly old (125 years old + at the minimum from the sounds of it).

Just because the chassis is stiffer than the C6 doesn't mean an frc isn't needed. This isn't a "that'll do" game (Midlands, 1970's). Keep the chassis as stiff as possible and dump the cash/R&D into something else... like not a slushbox automatic for those who want to use the car on a race track with left and rights, or maybe a coil-over suspension, or carbon brakes, or something that adds to the uniqueness of the package. A targa Z06 isn't unique. At that point it's nothing more than a base C7 with a badge on the fender.

I can't see the Z06 becoming a convertible. The C6427 was more of a limited edition run of the model... not a Z06 with a clothing strapped to the top of it. The buyers represented slightly different target markets.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Not going to happen. This is a track enhanced car with the stiffest chassis possible.
Apparently people are listening to what GM has said themselves. The C7 was designed as a convertible first, meaning it already met the rigidity requirements in that form.

There is no difference in rigidity in either form. The convertible isn't less stiff or almost as stiff as the coupe; they have the exact same stiffness.

There were some comments from the Corvette team just the other day where they discussed the stiffness testing they did against a McLaren 12c. And yes, their tests showed the C7 having a slight edge over the 300K 12c's monocoque chassis.

It's guaranteed to have a removable top.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...183136599.html
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Black0ut
The want of a removable hard top (NO longer a FRC) and the want for an automatic (a torque converter unit no less) is taking away the core value of what the Z06 is. Which is a track performer; apex eater, super car killer, bundle of fun.

It's just dumbing down the car to the point that the Z06 will just be sticker on the body panel. It's turning it from a poster car to something that appeals to the incredibly old (125 years old + at the minimum from the sounds of it).

Just because the chassis is stiffer than the C6 doesn't mean an frc isn't needed. This isn't a "that'll do" game (Midlands, 1970's). Keep the chassis as stiff as possible and dump the cash/R&D into something else... like not a slushbox automatic for those who want to use the car on a race track with left and rights, or maybe a coil-over suspension, or carbon brakes, or something that adds to the uniqueness of the package. A targa Z06 isn't unique. At that point it's nothing more than a base C7 with a badge on the fender.

I can't see the Z06 becoming a convertible. The C6427 was more of a limited edition run of the model... not a Z06 with a clothing strapped to the top of it. The buyers represented slightly different target markets.
Finally...someone who gets it.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see pro's and cons, but I also love my targa.. it's one thing that has kept me from upgrading to a C6z .. that and well money. lol
Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the removable roof. Its why I bought a GS over a ZO6 and ZR1. Then supercharged my GS!

I love the C7 and I'm going to get the biggest baddest one I can. If the roof is removable to enjoy that california sunshine, then that's just more icing on the proverbial cake.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Lots of Z06 purists will feel this way.....it would be a shame for GM to ruin such a moniker as the Z06. Part of what makes a Z06 is excluding it from luxuries such as a removable top and slushbox trans.
Lots of Z06 purists are still hoping for a NA 600 hp Z06 too, but I don't believe it's going to happen. If you want to remove luxuries, then start with bose stereo, air conditioning, leather interior, sound proofing, NPP exhaust........bet that's not going to happen either.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by jovette
Lots of Z06 purists are still hoping for a NA 600 hp Z06 too, but I don't believe it's going to happen. If you want to remove luxuries, then start with bose stereo, air conditioning, leather interior, sound proofing, NPP exhaust........bet that's not going to happen either.
I think you just described the 2014 Z28.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Well, if they offer both the A8 and a removeable roof they will sell a ton more of them. I can hear the Z06 "purists" whinning about their perceived loss of exclusivity/tradition.

PS- The iconic L88s came with automatics and removeable tops.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To each their own. Let us put this in a picture. Here is exactly how much you should care what the other guy is driving:

Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's exactly how much business it is of yours what someone else chooses to drive:

Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Good question. I'm guessing a Z06 convertible will be offered along with a coupe since the C6 427 vert was so popular. If for example a removable roof is available and an auto along with a supercharged LT4, then why is Callaway gearing up with their signature package for the C7 ( you gotta believe they know what's coming next month in Detroit). Maybe GM will start out with a solid fixed roof only with no auto and dole out those options in later years. We all remember how hysterical the Z06 fanboys became, when GM had the audacity to bring out the "Poser" Grand Sport", making a mockery of their beloved Z06( I replaced my 08Z with an LPE supercharged 10 GS 6 spd manual coupe/ see thru roof, cause I got tired of the closed in feeling of the solid fixed roof coupe in the Z06). So the General could start with the traditional solid fixed roof 7 spd manual coupe for the Z06, keeping the whining Z06 " traditionalists" happy, then phase in removable roof, auto/DCT type tranny downstream and just turn down the volume when the fanboys once again become hysterical.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black0ut

It's just dumbing down the car to the point that the Z06 will just be sticker on the body panel...A targa Z06 isn't unique. At that point it's nothing more than a base C7 with a badge on the fender.

If a Z06 coupe with manual remains in the lineup, then the targa & automatic aren't taking anything away. (Though it's possible GM may label them differently for marketing reasons.)
We don't know what engine, suspension, aero, and brake mods are being developed for the Z06 version. It's a safe bet they will be revised as in previous years. In other words, it's not likely going to be a "base C7 with a badge on the fender."
The 427 was a limited edition run that was produced in volume of 5.4:1 against the Z06 last year. Not saying the ratio will be like that in every year, but there's clearly interest in such a car and a lot of money that GM could be pocketing that they otherwise would not.

GM stands to gain by catering to both the purists and to the wider, newer audience, that isn't so ingrained in history. It's good to have choices, and as Dodge and BMW have found (with their ACR and CSL/GTS models), if you cater too heavily around the purist market, you're looking at too few sales to make the venture work. Only about 10% of those cars were sold with the lightweight AC/stereo delete packages, which would make them the most track capable cars. 90% either didn't care or specifically wanted those creature comforts. Even within the so-called "purist" set, the vast majority aren't as hardcore as we might think, especially when dropping 75+ grand on a car. Probably because the real hardcore set knows that a C5 can be built to their purposes for far less.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

One of (many) things I enjoyed about my Z and enjoy about my ZR is the tight, rattle-free, squeak-free cabin provided by the bolted in roof. I'm not much of a top off guy, and the benefit to perceived quality of a quiet, tight cabin is nice.

It would be great if the C7Z were available in both targa and fixed roof so folks could get what they want in that regard. I'd much rather have the latter given the difference it makes in the car over the former, and I'm sure others would prefer the opposite.

Wouldn't seem that hard to offer both. Give me my bolted in roof with 10+ attachment points like the C6Z/ZR and let the targa guys have their removable roof (with I would hope a superior - read quieter/tighter - system than the C6 had).

All it would take would be the brackets and bolting system.

Then we could have all sorts of optionality: Fixed roof. Targa roof. Convertible.

Win. Win. Win.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Whenever I come on the forum, and the discussion of the Targa top comes up, you would think everyone has their top out 24/7. I think I went at least 10 years before seeing a Corvette with its top out "on the road" (not parked at some car show) several months ago. Saw two Corvettes yesterday. Tops in. I haven't seen one with its top out since, and I live in SoCal with year round top out weather.

I get it that there are enthusiasts for just about everything, but if GM discontinued the Targa top, 99.9% of the people would never even know it.

Michael
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Leave the Z06 for the performance minded enthusiast who will appreciate it for what it is. As for the old guys wanting a removeable roof and automatic... GM will still get your money and it's evident with the C6 as so many of you still purchased a corvette but opted to buy a base/GS, which is indeed better suited for those buyers.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Leave the Z06 for the performance minded enthusiast who will appreciate it for what it is. As for the old guys wanting a removeable roof and automatic... GM will still get your money and it's evident with the C6 as so many of you still purchased a corvette but opted to buy a base/GS, which is indeed better suited for those buyers.
Are you gonna jump off a cliff if the C7 Z06 has an auto and targa?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

1. The Z06/ZR1 had the targa panel bolted in place so you couldn't remove it... not because it's stiffer than having the targa panel latched in place.

2. Since the C5 the Corvette has been designed to be a vert first. All this means is that the vert doesn't need any additional bracing like you'd find on a Mustang convertible i.e. extra x-brace.

3. Those saying "put the money into something else". It'd cost more to design a special bolted in roof and have a special production step added vs. leaving it targa.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the new Z have a removable roof?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by travisnd
1. The Z06/ZR1 had the targa panel bolted in place so you couldn't remove it... not because it's stiffer than having the targa panel latched in place.

2. Since the C5 the Corvette has been designed to be a vert first. All this means is that the vert doesn't need any additional bracing like you'd find on a Mustang convertible i.e. extra x-brace.

3. Those saying "put the money into something else". It'd cost more to design a special bolted in roof and have a special production step added vs. leaving it targa.
oh no. You just brought logic to the conversation. Look out!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
One of (many) things I enjoyed about my Z and enjoy about my ZR is the tight, rattle-free, squeak-free cabin provided by the bolted in roof. I'm not much of a top off guy, and the benefit to perceived quality of a quiet, tight cabin is nice.

It would be great if the C7Z were available in both targa and fixed roof so folks could get what they want in that regard. I'd much rather have the latter given the difference it makes in the car over the former, and I'm sure others would prefer the opposite.

Wouldn't seem that hard to offer both. Give me my bolted in roof with 10+ attachment points like the C6Z/ZR and let the targa guys have their removable roof (with I would hope a superior - read quieter/tighter - system than the C6 had).

All it would take would be the brackets and bolting system.

Then we could have all sorts of optionality: Fixed roof. Targa roof. Convertible.

Win. Win. Win.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
They are testing a convertible so I wouldn't be so sure.
while the convertible may be available with the ZO6 engine, I do not think they will call it the ZO6...just a feeling I have. ZO6 is synonymous with race coupe. I don't think they want to diminish that pedigree by calling the convertible a ZO6 as well.

Quick Reply: Will the new Z have a removable roof?