C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Will the new Z have a removable roof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Are you gonna jump off a cliff if the C7 Z06 has an auto and targa?
Would that be awesome if he did?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...if so, IMO a FRC should be on the "base" C7 Z06. The removable roof, or 'vert, can be options for those that want it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Why would GM sped extra money to fix the roof in place when it provides no benefit and isn't needed? The standard car will be a targa with a Z06 Convertible available.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I hope the roof stays fixed.

This way people will still be able to bitch on this forum about wanting a removable roof…

We wouldn't want GM to cause more "unemployment"
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Perplexed as why some feel having a targa roof is a problem on a high performance street car first and foremost. I also don't understand how this one having a removable roof ruins the z06 namesake. It was used a second time in conjunction with salvaging the billy bob c5 model which stumbled in sales and used the third time with an aluminum framed version that needed the fixed roof to tie the car together. The new car has improved so much in strength they can go for the targa.

I mean, you can argue 'silly' luxuries such as an auto or removable roof. So no targa because it doesn't scream hard edged track machine but power every thing with blue tooth,navi, and booming stereo do? Corvette guys can be an interesting group.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

GM has always felt that the Z06 is their halo track ready Corvette. They will not sacrifice any chassis rigidity by having a removable roof. People that want the open air experience can drive the Z51. I like open air motoring but not at the expense of the superior handling a fixed roof provides. If I want open air I can drive one of my older cars.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

If they don't do a targa, perhaps they can include an audio loop of a targa top popping, creaking and squeaking so folks that prefer that can at least have some of the aural pleasure of the targa.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by OnPoint
If they don't do a targa, perhaps they can include an audio loop of a targa top popping, creaking and squeaking so folks that prefer that can at least have some of the aural pleasure of the targa.
Or just buy a Mclaren MP4- 12c....top off experience in that thing is great. LOL
Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
cmark84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet more people want a Z06 with a targa top they can cruise on the highway and then track on the weekends than those who just want a fixed roof and do the same.

GM is going for sales. This is why lots of cars are being dumbed down.

Most high end cars are becoming automatics. I seriously feel in 10 years, manual transmissions will be a thing of the past.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
I hope the roof stays fixed.

This way people will still be able to bitch on this forum about wanting a removable roof…

We wouldn't want GM to cause more "unemployment"
The same can be said for the opposite.

I don't really care one way or the other.
But these track babies that whine about how it will ruin the value of the car is ridiculous.
There is such a small % of people that want a "stripped down track ready car" that it make NO sense for GM to offer one......but then again, maybe they should.
They could pull off all the "luxury" items and then charge for cost of the parts, a restocking fee, and an extra $10k to SHUT UP!! ....oh yeah, and charge for the labor time that their union guys won't get paid for not putting the parts on....can't forget those folks...wouldn't want to take food out of the mouths there would we?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

What blows my mind about all of this is:

1) the last fixed roof was bolted on with 4 bolts, like the C4, except that GM didn't make it user accessible. So it was already a removable roof to a degree.

2) the lack of removable roof reduces resale

3) the lack of a removable roof, even if you will never really want to take it off, means you can't change the roof... i.e., transparent/carbon fiber/painted

4) who in flaming hell cares about body flex when cruising around town??? If I want to take my Wife to dinner on a nice Spring day I'm taking a car with the top off / down. Many of these cars are 2nd, 3rd, 4th vehicles and beyond and they see this type of duty... refer again to number 2.

5) since it is the Z, it doesn't have to be a 30 second removal, but if it were bolted on that would be fine with me. If there are guys that want to go topless it's likely garaged anyway so not like you have to deal with the top constantly.

6) whoever thinks the car is 'track inspired' and shouldn't have such things... outta your mind. All Corvettes are track / race inspired since the C2 but are also designed to be street friendly. If you want to see a REAL track inspired, no compromises, street car check out an F40
Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
What blows my mind about all of this is:

1) the last fixed roof was bolted on with 4 bolts, like the C4, except that GM didn't make it user accessible. So it was already a removable roof to a degree.

2) the lack of removable roof reduces resale

3) the lack of a removable roof, even if you will never really want to take it off, means you can't change the roof... i.e., transparent/carbon fiber/painted

4) who in flaming hell cares about body flex when cruising around town??? If I want to take my Wife to dinner on a nice Spring day I'm taking a car with the top off / down. Many of these cars are 2nd, 3rd, 4th vehicles and beyond and they see this type of duty... refer again to number 2.

5) since it is the Z, it doesn't have to be a 30 second removal, but if it were bolted on that would be fine with me. If there are guys that want to go topless it's likely garaged anyway so not like you have to deal with the top constantly.

6) whoever thinks the car is 'track inspired' and shouldn't have such things... outta your mind. All Corvettes are track / race inspired since the C2 but are also designed to be street friendly. If you want to see a REAL track inspired, no compromises, street car check out an F40

Actually the last fixed roof (C6) was put in place with 10 bolts, plus extra bracketing the targa doesn't have.

JoesC5 posted a nice pic of the set-up in the Spy Pic thread.

To those that state this doesn't provide any benefit, I disagree. My fixed roof C6s were tight, quiet and free of top noise. Not something that can be said for many C6 targas (and I own one of those as well, so pretty easy for me to compare). Just the perceived quality quotient of the tighter cabin is a win for me. And then you can add on a bit of additional strength/rigidity.

I have no idea why folks think 4 pins floating in their holes (and often banging around) is just as rigid as a top bolted in place with 10 bolts plus additional brackets. The C7 frame is stiffer than the C6Z/ZR, which is why the targa is likely doable on the 7. It would be stiffer yet with a fixed roof.

I also have no idea why on the C7Z you couldn't get both - a fixed roof or a targa. If you look at the pics of the attachment bracketing for the fixed roof on the ZR and Z it doesn't appear to be a big deal to make/offer. Why not offer both?

I do know one thing. Nothing said by any of us in this thread will make any difference on what the C7Z actually shows with as far as its top. I'm just glad they're making it. And if it comes as a targa with no fixed roof option, I hope they do a better job of engineering that targa than they did on the C6.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Perplexed as why some feel having a targa roof is a problem on a high performance street car first and foremost. I also don't understand how this one having a removable roof ruins the z06 namesake. It was used a second time in conjunction with salvaging the billy bob c5 model which stumbled in sales and used the third time with an aluminum framed version that needed the fixed roof to tie the car together. The new car has improved so much in strength they can go for the targa.

I mean, you can argue 'silly' luxuries such as an auto or removable roof. So no targa because it doesn't scream hard edged track machine but power every thing with blue tooth,navi, and booming stereo do? Corvette guys can be an interesting group.
Rattles for one....you know there will be some... of course if it has the Bloze Stereo...I mean Bose, it may be a good thing.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Actually the last fixed roof (C6) was put in place with 10 bolts, plus extra bracketing the targa doesn't have.

To those that state this doesn't provide any benefit, I disagree. My fixed roof C6s were tight, quiet and free of top noise. Not something that can be said for many C6 targas (and I own one of those as well, so pretty easy for me to compare). Just the perceived quality quotient of the tighter cabin is a win for me. And then you can add on a bit of additional strength/rigidity.

I have no idea why folks think 4 pins floating in their holes (and often banging around) is just as rigid as a top bolted in place with 10 bolts plus additional brackets. The C7 frame is stiffer than the C6Z/ZR, which is why the targa is likely doable on the 7. It would be stiffer yet with a fixed roof.

I also have no idea why on the C7Z you couldn't get both - a fixed roof or a targa. If you look at the pics of the attachment bracketing for the fixed roof on the ZR and Z it doesn't appear to be a big deal to make/offer. Why not offer both?

I do know one thing. Nothing said by any of us in this thread will make any difference on what the C7Z actually shows with as far as its top. I'm just glad they're making it. And if it comes as a targa with no fixed roof option, I hope they do a better job of engineering that targa than they did on the C6.
Give us options, 3 transmissions, 4 roof options including the Smokey and the Bandit T-Top luggage edition and a Bose and Alpine stereo option!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
1. The Z06/ZR1 had the targa panel bolted in place so you couldn't remove it... not because it's stiffer than having the targa panel latched in place.
And you have torsion and bending data to support this statement?

Latches and gaskets are always as stiff as bolting and gluing.

Michael
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Alpine stereo. What a hoot. I had one of those once - a long, long time ago. Was a pretty good stereo way back. I don't know what they make any more.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Alpine stereo. What a hoot. I had one of those once - a long, long time ago. Was a pretty good stereo way back. I don't know what they make any more.
They were the cats *** when they came out huh? Hell...I would put up an old Alpine to the Bose anyday.

Last edited by sam90lx; 12-18-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the new Z have a removable roof?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

I'm even fine with 10 bolts. The 4 on the C4 were hidden well enough. If they did it a similar way or even had auxiliary bolts. Basically, keep the latch system then have additional bolts for track day or for those that don't intend on removing it anyway.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
They were the cats *** when they came out huh? Hell...I would put up an old Alpine to the Bose anyday.
Yeah - you weren't nuthin' if you didn't have the Alpine (oh, and the metallic tapes insteads of just the regular cassettes). Mine sounded pretty good. And now that you mention it, I bet it would give the Blose a heck of a run.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I'm even fine with 10 bolts. The 4 on the C4 were hidden well enough. If they did it a similar way or even had auxiliary bolts. Basically, keep the latch system then have additional bolts for track day or for those that don't intend on removing it anyway.
I'd go for that.

Quick Reply: Will the new Z have a removable roof?