C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Well...not freely, but yeah, I guess so???

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

Now where is my new 800hp-AWD C8??? (I'm pretty sure that was in Mel Gibsons script, but got left on the editing floor)
YEEHAW!!!
I'm still betting on this being the new C7.... wait, what....

Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
20 min? It'll heat soak in 2 min. Just like the ZR1.
The ZR1 does not run into any heat issues until you start running in 95 plus degree weather on the road course.

As for the original question, if it is available with an A8 then it'll be quicker in the 1/4 than the ZR1 if not then it won't be. On the road course it will be marginally faster but still pretty close unless they offer a true track only stripper type option.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
The ZR1 does not run into any heat issues until you start running in 95 plus degree weather on the road course.

As for the original question, if it is available with an A8 then it'll be quicker in the 1/4 than the ZR1 if not then it won't be. On the road course it will be marginally faster but still pretty close unless they offer a true track only stripper type option.
Do you happen to have any inside source in order to make such a bold claim?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
YEEHAW!!!
I'm still betting on this being the new C7.... wait, what....

That is a photoshopped C6, has no resemblance to a C7, at all so I hope you aren't betting on that design to much....., oh god please make time go by fast so the unveil will put some of these posts to rest! but then again! it will create more! people will find something to complain about the z06 is going to be awesome but it's not like GM is going to reinvent the wheel , it will have the same improvement the prior models had except it will be the current best performing vette that has been made to date, passing all the previous C6 performance variant corvettes.... That is until the C8 performance variant is introduced, and the cycle will start all over again.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 01-07-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racerns

Not true, I had heat soak problems after 3-4 runs in 80 degree heat, heat soak is just a problem with all FI cars more so with PD superchargers, I have another FI car that has two air to water intercoolers run in series along with meth and although it takes much longer to heat soak at some point it does about 8 runs, point is the all have heat soak.
The only FI machine I have that I haven't heat soaked is my RCC ultra plenum intercooler on my turbo busa, but that isn't fair because it get so much open air. GM skimped on the intercooler for the previous FI vette , have you taken your intercooler apart to see crumbled pieces of metal where the heat hits the fins?, if I was planning on buying another C6ZR to keep the 1st thing I would do was upgrade the bars, I believe this is why the C7 Z is switching to a centri, there is more to work with when it comes to cooling, which will allow them to run more timing and boost.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Not true, I had heat soak problems after 3-4 runs in 80 degree heat, heat soak is just a problem with all FI cars more so with PD superchargers, I have another FI car that has two air to water intercoolers run in series along with meth and although it takes much longer to heat soak at some point it does about 8 runs, point is the all have heat soak.
The only FI machine I have that I haven't heat soaked is my RCC ultra plenum intercooler on my turbo busa, but that isn't fair because it get so much open air. GM skimped on the intercooler for the previous FI vette , have you taken your intercooler apart to see crumbled pieces of metal where the heat hits the fins?, if I was planning on buying another C6ZR to keep the 1st thing I would do was upgrade the bars, I believe this is why the C7 Z is switching to a centri, there is more to work with when it comes to cooling, which will allow them to run more timing and boost.

Thanks for adding some sanity to this thread. Your observations match mine. Basically, if you're using an air to air intercooler, and it is of sufficient size to be properly matched to the power demands of the application, you may avoid heat soak issues. If you're running any sort of water-air intercooler, it's going to heat soak - simply a matter of time. Furthermore, if you do end up heat soaking an air-air intercooler, it tends to recover much more quickly as compared to air-water.

As to the individual talking about lap times on the ring : yes, the ZR1 is very fast around the ring - it is amazing! But that doesn't mean it doesn't suffer from power losses due to heat soak! It's just really fast DESPITE these losses. Why is it that the feeble minds on this forum insist that someone is "hating" when a fact is put forward that runs contrary to their opinion? Go drive a ZR1 and it will be obvious.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Go drive a ZR1 and it will be obvious.
I do. Quite consistently on the race course. Have done so for over 3 years.

ALL engines suffer from heat soak. It doesn't matter how they're aspirated. What does matter is when it hits and how brutally. The ZR1 in its current form will suffer from timing retardation to protect itself when run hard in hot (95º+) temps for prolonged periods. A simple 20-minute session isn't going to be enough to do it.

Anyone that says they've seen "heat soak" at 80º is full of crap. Even after a few sessions. That is unless they were driving on the track with the A/C on; I've done that as a test and sure enough it does get the engine hot.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Do you happen to have any inside source in order to make such a bold claim?
No inside info, just a guess based on assumptions which is what anyone is really doing at this point. It was based on the OP assumption that the engine is going to be rated at 625/635 and my guess that it is not going to be lighter than the current ZR1. One of the reasons I think the M7 version would be not be faster than the ZR1 (from a standing start) is that the torque management on the M7 C7 seems to be very intrusive and seems to prohibit a good launch. Maybe this is something that will be changed on the C7Z. As for the road course times, the handling improvements of the C7Z are going to be incremental, not huge leaps forward over the ZR1 unless they do some drastic weight reduction or some significant aero options.

Like I said these are just educated guesses and I could be totally wrong.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
I do. Quite consistently on the race course. Have done so for over 3 years.

ALL engines suffer from heat soak. It doesn't matter how they're aspirated. What does matter is when it hits and how brutally. The ZR1 in its current form will suffer from timing retardation to protect itself when run hard in hot (95º+) temps for prolonged periods. A simple 20-minute session isn't going to be enough to do it.

Anyone that says they've seen "heat soak" at 80º is full of crap. Even after a few sessions. That is unless they were driving on the track with the A/C on; I've done that as a test and sure enough it does get the engine hot.
Well I can tell you I'm not full of crap and have seen heat soak on a 80 degree day, did you ever hear the word humidity?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That is a photoshopped C6, has no resemblance to a C7 ...
Thanks Captain Obvious. Lighten up and quit taking everything here so seriously, it really is not good for your health.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no corvette expert by any means, but I've rr both a turbo setup, SC setup and NA and certainly found heat issues with all 3. The NA seemed to be the least affected and easiest to address, but running in AZ at 90 degree temps ALL of them had issues.

However, just for track days I'd take a stripped down NA 7.0 version of the Z with 100lb weight reduction and a 100hp jump in power along with some R comps and there wouldn't be many cars you'd be seeing tailights of.

And being new to this thing called corvette passion, it's amazing how quickly some guys get their motors revved. Yowsa.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No doubt it will be the fastest Corvette ever! 620HP and 650# torque. That is insane!
Op was close. Well, sort of.
This is a screen shot from Google that I just took this morning. Apparently, google captured the metadata from the Chevrolet page. I don't know how long it will be before GM pulls that down but if you google "2015 Chevrolet Z06 Supercar", it's right there for all to see.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by slief
No doubt it will be the fastest Corvette ever! 620HP and 650# torque. That is insane!
This is a screen shot from Google that I just took this morning. Apparently, google captured the metadata from the Chevrolet page. I don't know how long it will be before GM pulls that down but if you google "2015 Chevrolet Z06 Supercar", it's right there for all to see.
Assuming that is, in fact, an unintended leak of real info, do those figures tell us anything about how the power is achieved? In other words, would hp being 30 less than torque tend to indicate anything?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

This is a screen shot from Google that I just took this morning.
And as I wrote in another post: it's incorrect information. Those aren't the numbers we're going to hear from GM next week. And the numbers we do hear will be of the, "At least..." variety.

Rest assured: no final testing, tuning, validation, verification, etc has been done with the car yet. They've still got quite a bit of work ahead of them. What we'll see at NAIAS next week is just like what we saw last January: "Here's what the car will look like and here are some of the things on it..." No precise numbers will be disclosed because GM doesn't have them yet.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
And as I wrote in another post: it's incorrect information. Those aren't the numbers we're going to hear from GM next week. And the numbers we do hear will be of the, "At least..." variety.

Rest assured: no final testing, tuning, validation, verification, etc has been done with the car yet. They've still got quite a bit of work ahead of them. What we'll see at NAIAS next week is just like what we saw last January: "Here's what the car will look like and here are some of the things on it..." No precise numbers will be disclosed because GM doesn't have them yet.
I bet these are close give or take 10-15 either way.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Going into the reveal, I was thinking the same thing as it would have made sense that the original C7 reveal would have set the precedence for what to expect at the C7 Z06 reveal. That said, I find it very odd and intriguing that these numbers are coming straight from the Chevrolet website. One would have to wonder why they are there if those numbers are not in fact real. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would be questioning these numbers given the C7 reveal and lack of numbers provided. I guess we will know in 6 days although I would not be terribly surprised if the numbers are a bit more vague come reveal time.

Either way, it's pretty safe to say that those number will be very close to actual numbers if in fact they are not spot on.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Imagine what Mero could have done at the ring without the heat soak you describe
beat me to it!

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers

Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
PokerMunkee
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Blown V8 with 620HP/650lb-ft, giggity! This is going to be sweet.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Gone already^^
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

This stuff is simply amazing. State of the art sports cars right off the showroom floor with this kind of power! Really cool stuff. Hope it sells. Damn, I can remember back in the late 80s when I thought my '87, 4+3 was a screamer. We would have never dreamed any of this would be possible.

Quick Reply: 2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers