C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
This stuff is simply amazing. State of the art sports cars right off the showroom floor with this kind of power! Really cool stuff. Hope it sells. Damn, I can remember back in the late 80s when I thought my '87, 4+3 was a screamer. We would have never dreamed any of this would be possible.
My buddy back in Texas had a Silver 87 Vert with the 4+3.....coolest thing ever back then!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Assuming that is, in fact, an unintended leak of real info, do those figures tell us anything about how the power is achieved? In other words, would hp being 30 less than torque tend to indicate anything?
Yes... It does.

When you see numbers like this on a forced induction motor it means that the torque will drop off in the high range; how much depends on the rpm limit.

If we assume 7k rpm redline, and peak torque of 650, and peak HP at 620 we can calculate that if peak torque was made at red line, peak hp would be 866; so if your reverse the math you can determine that peak torque is made no later than 5000rpm, and that at 7k rpm the engine is making no more than 465 ft/lbs of torque

So what does this tell us? Most likely that the blower is a pretty small unit, and that it is going to have the classic "too small" torque curve. It will come on strong in the low rpm band, peak in the mid range, then taper off at an increasing rate as RPM increases.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
And as I wrote in another post: it's incorrect information. Those aren't the numbers we're going to hear from GM next week. And the numbers we do hear will be of the, "At least..." variety.

Rest assured: no final testing, tuning, validation, verification, etc has been done with the car yet. They've still got quite a bit of work ahead of them. What we'll see at NAIAS next week is just like what we saw last January: "Here's what the car will look like and here are some of the things on it..." No precise numbers will be disclosed because GM doesn't have them yet.
Do you have a source for this or is it just your opinion?

I find that highly unlikely. Someone told the web-developers what to put on the Meta-data, and that information was well scripted.

Also the LT4 has been in development for a long time, and has been done for a pretty good amount of time; I have no idea why you would think that they don't know how much power it is going to make.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Jofu
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Also the LT4 has been in development for a long time, and has been done for a pretty good amount of time; I have no idea why you would think that they don't know how much power it is going to make.
Well, not sure if that's what he meant, but from what I remember, the original HP number mentioned for the LS7 at the reveal was 500, but once they finally got it SAE certified, it was bumped up to 505.

It's possible whatever numbers are mentioned at the reveal for the LT4 will not be SAE certified yet.

Oh, and I just read the same happened for the ZL1, where final HP was ultimately bumped up to 580

Geoff
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Do you have a source for this or is it just your opinion?
It's the same source I've been in contact with for a while now. Revealing who it is ain't gonna happen. Like: ever. I pointed him at the Google screw-up, and he responded with a paraphrased version of what I already put in the forum (twice). He then had it removed, as is evident already.

You can choose to believe me or not; it really makes no difference to me. But when things are revealed on Monday, will you come back and apologize? Or are you going to just ignore the whole thing?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all! Since Corvette folks seem to look for performance associated with anything Corvette, here are a couple of links to some interesting websites that make a pretty strong case. Just an opinion and we all have those!

http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-c...d-f-1496255058

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/01/07/w...and-c7-r-here/

Click or copy/paste and enjoy!

Last edited by jmk; 01-07-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added plural to "websites"
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
This stuff is simply amazing. State of the art sports cars right off the showroom floor with this kind of power! Really cool stuff. Hope it sells. Damn, I can remember back in the late 80s when I thought my '87, 4+3 was a screamer. We would have never dreamed any of this would be possible.
And it gets better gas mileage, has much better safety features and is way more comfortable to drive.

I love technology!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
And it gets better gas mileage, has much better safety features and is way more comfortable to drive.

I love technology!
That for sure, all true.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
No inside info, just a guess based on assumptions which is what anyone is really doing at this point. It was based on the OP assumption that the engine is going to be rated at 625/635 and my guess that it is not going to be lighter than the current ZR1. One of the reasons I think the M7 version would be not be faster than the ZR1 (from a standing start) is that the torque management on the M7 C7 seems to be very intrusive and seems to prohibit a good launch. Maybe this is something that will be changed on the C7Z. As for the road course times, the handling improvements of the C7Z are going to be incremental, not huge leaps forward over the ZR1 unless they do some drastic weight reduction or some significant aero options.

Like I said these are just educated guesses and I could be totally wrong.
So I guess everything is about Aero weight and HP? Stuff like advanced suspension...advanced tires...eLSD...advanced chassis doesn't matter? Even the C7 has stiffer chassis than the C6Z and ZR1...

I'm baffled.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we are all ASSuming it has mucho improvements in suspension, tires and braking (like the base C7) and we know the interior is much better (like the C7) I'm guessing many of us are fixated on the hp figures due to the measly jump of 30 ponies on the base C7, though a better tq curve.

HP is the sexy that sells and helps post track times that we can all brag about, even if we can't get our own cars to run the number.

If we see a NA Z with ONLY 540ish HP and/or a SC version in the 580ish range, I don't believe that's going to cut it for folks who expect at least a 75hp jump if it's NA and a 125hp jump if it's got a blower on it.

I'm thinking there are still lots of folks, with all the ballyhooing over the DI and such of the LT1 that were expecting closer to 500hp on the base C7 (me being one of them) that taking the track flagship and not doing something really exceptional with it in regards to hp/tq are going to be fairly dissapointed. If GM can improve the areas mentioned, as well as another 100hp+ THEN put it to the track and spank the current offerings from Mopar and Ford...that's when Jon Q. public will flock to the new Z, even those who hadn't planned on buying one previously...IMO.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Lavender
So I guess everything is about Aero weight and HP? Stuff like advanced suspension...advanced tires...eLSD...advanced chassis doesn't matter? Even the C7 has stiffer chassis than the C6Z and ZR1...

I'm baffled.
I wouldn't even pay any attention to it.
Look how many people were "totally wrong" about the C7 not being a better performer than the C6. Now they're looking for excuses for being so wrong. The same thing will happen here.
Next year at this time, those of us who bought C7 Z06's will be laughing at all the same nonsense that we heard about the base C7.
S.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Next year at this time, those of us who bought C7 Z06's will be laughing at all the same nonsense that we heard about the base C7.
S.
Exactly! You showed how's it's done.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's got that 8-speed auto in it, with 625 hp, and assuming it isn't 3500#, it'll be very quick and very efficient with a PD blower paired with an automatic.
S.
You got it exactly right.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender

I'm baffled.
Don't know if the tires are going to be really any different since they look to be the same Pilot Sport Cups in the teaser pic. As for the other improvements you mentioned, they will make it faster for sure. I just think they will be small incremental improvements in lap times for each difference. Larger gains would come with reduced weight and a full aero package.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerns
Don't know if the tires are going to be really any different since they look to be the same Pilot Sport Cups in the teaser pic. As for the other improvements you mentioned, they will make it faster for sure. I just think they will be small incremental improvements in lap times for each difference. Larger gains would come with reduced weight and a full aero package.
The tires are the next generation Sport Cups. Currently found @ Porsche 918. AMG SLS Black Series, 911 GT3 and 458 Speciale I think. Add the Gen III MSRC. Stiffer chassis..eLSD.

And by aero package...you mean big-*** wing @ back? PLEASE NO!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Jofu
Well, not sure if that's what he meant, but from what I remember, the original HP number mentioned for the LS7 at the reveal was 500, but once they finally got it SAE certified, it was bumped up to 505.

It's possible whatever numbers are mentioned at the reveal for the LT4 will not be SAE certified yet.

Oh, and I just read the same happened for the ZL1, where final HP was ultimately bumped up to 580

Geoff
That number only jumped to 505 because the Viper was coming in at 500 and Chevy wanted a higher number, dodge then jumped their number to 510, it was just a bragging rights thing... Nothing else, this is fact BTW
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't even pay any attention to it.
Look how many people were "totally wrong" about the C7 not being a better performer than the C6. Now they're looking for excuses for being so wrong. The same thing will happen here.
S.
Yeah I still remember the comments of how the C6 GS will eat the C7 alive @ track because its heavier and has less tire. We all know how that turned out Bummer!

History repeats itself. You are right. We will indeed be laughing at that same nonsense. Of course..it'll be even better if I get my damn Stingray before you guys get yours Z06s....

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers

Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

A6 C7's have gone 11.4-11.5 at ~120 mph. Assuming the 625 hp is a real number and the car doesn't gain much (if any weight) and the 8-speed auto is offered, I think it should easily trap 130+ and see mid-10's. And it won't need 1.5's to do it, IMO.
And NHRA can run to 9.99 and 135 mph with no bar (5-point) required in a post-'08 "unaltered" and "OEM" vehicles.
S.
Why not just say 11.49 at 118.96 for the fastest C7 ? The ZO6 with an 8 spd and 625
Will be dam quick!
Dealer mark-up will be high!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I do. Quite consistently on the race course. Have done so for over 3 years.

ALL engines suffer from heat soak. It doesn't matter how they're aspirated. What does matter is when it hits and how brutally. The ZR1 in its current form will suffer from timing retardation to protect itself when run hard in hot (95º+) temps for prolonged periods. A simple 20-minute session isn't going to be enough to do it.

Anyone that says they've seen "heat soak" at 80º is full of crap. Even after a few sessions. That is unless they were driving on the track with the A/C on; I've done that as a test and sure enough it does get the engine hot.
The guy that stated that fact is what you described!
Plus I don't think the intercooler crumbles on stock boost!
Only when you pulley down!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
The guy that stated that fact is what you described!
Plus I don't think the intercooler crumbles on stock boost!
Only when you pulley down!
The guy who said that is me, and unlike you, I own multiple FI cars/ bikes, and drive them, all your information is goggled or from the forum, and yes The Intercooler bars aren't very big and sit right on top of the engine which makes them work harder, of course they are going to go bad faster with boost its not designed for, either way, sooner or later the fins are going to wear, if you use the cars power.... For guys like you?..... Your probably safe... Driving to cars and coffee isn't going to overload your stock intercooler
Fact on FI is that you can never have to much intercooling, one of my cars has 2 intercoolers run in series with meth on top of that.
People who actually race cars know meth is great on its own, add a good intercooler even better.

Quick Reply: 2015 Corvette Z06 Performance Numbers