C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Price points

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
it will be 1k more than what the outgoing base Z06 was... DUH!
Actually I tend to think this might not be too far off. I also think that like the base car the price will extend into new territory on the top end making for a price of a loaded car run up into the low teens.

This would work well from a positioning standpoint. They can put this one out there and see how it does. If the sales are strong enough on the upper end they can consider putting out a halo model above it, if not they can try for some easier (and cheaper to produce) pickings by putting out one or more uber options, a track oriented variant, more foo foo options, etc. This covers the bases from the bottom end of C7 and takes it up to the low hundreds with the Z06 where sales get quite thin. It prevents cannibalization of the Z06 from above and below as happened with the last generation.

Fearless prediction summed up... Starts at 79k and runs up to low teens on top.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
79K BASE. I almost guarantee it. Otherwise GM will be stuck with them.
LOL Yeah only 4 grand more than the new Z28. No way
Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
With regular brakes and less trick and expensive shocks, why not? Maybe not $79K but I don't believe the base Z06 won't be that far off from this figure. I predict a number under $85K
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 878 Likes on 394 Posts

Okay, I'll try an analytical approach for my shot in the dark. The base price of my 2011 Z was $74305, and the price of a base coupe was $48,950, for a difference of $25355. I added only the Z07 package ($9495) and the carbon ($3995) plus a couple of minor items (grey wheels, etc) which brought my 1LZ car to 30 bucks short of $90K. That got me to a ZR1 (body, tires, brakes), but short the supercharged LS9. It would take another $19830 to reach the ZR1s base price of $109800, which I will assume was for the motor. So, if you add the $25355 to the base C7 price to get all of the suspension, tire, body upgrades, and another $19830 to get the supercharged motor with all of its cooling mods, you get a base price in the mid $90Ks. Add carbon brakes, 3LZ, etc, and you are in the $100-teens. Do you add four years of inflation in a depressed economy?? Anyway, my guess is not better than anyone else's, but it is what it is. We'll all know soon.

Cheers

Pappy
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I also believe a base of $79k or lower is doable. After all, what are you getting? A rumored 160 HP gain, a wide-body, little bigger tires and wheels over the base C7 at $52k. Carbon brakes will be an option, frame is already aluminum, and for $6-7k ECS or A&A can give you more HP on a base LT1 motor. Figure $10-12k in wide-body parts and wheels/tires and that's the base Z06. Any higher and owners will be buying the parts themselves as happened with the C6 Z06 that brought on the GS model to gain the look. If they really want to improve sales get an 8-speed automatic into the car.

--Dan
Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See that people are still missing the point of Z06.

Strike one is adding a blower to a Z06, auto (converter based) would be strike 2 and vert would strike 3. There may be more.

But its unlikely that GM can resist blowing another unique nameplate for the sake of the almighty dollar.

If they dilute it, surely they will sit on many no matter what the price point. Although, I guess, there will always be those new to Corvette buyers that will buy off simply marketing hype.

Of course, I'm speculating like everyone else and hope I'm wrong. We shall see on Monday.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Will track faster than a zR1 so I guess it's the real deal
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

It took about 5 months from the 2013 C7 reveal to get pricing!
Maybe we won't get pricing this Monday?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Their statement about, "If you could afford a C6..." turned out accurate (re: MSRP), so if they say something similar about C7Z vs. C6Z then we could reasonably expect that to be relatively accurate.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
dchich
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BFST
See that people are still missing the point of Z06.

Strike one is adding a blower to a Z06, auto (converter based) would be strike 2 and vert would strike 3. There may be more.

But its unlikely that GM can resist blowing another unique nameplate for the sake of the almighty dollar.

If they dilute it, surely they will sit on many no matter what the price point. Although, I guess, there will always be those new to Corvette buyers that will buy off simply marketing hype.

Of course, I'm speculating like everyone else and hope I'm wrong. We shall see on Monday.

I would also rather see NA, but if it's going to have FI, better a blower than a turbo...

I don't want to see an auto, and a vert would be silly IMO, but judging by the comments on the forum, I think the only thing that will keep them sitting on dealer lots is price. People seem to want a vert, but the thought of calling a convertible with a torque converter auto a track car makes me queasy.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

the z28 is a joke. who would buy that car over c7 z51 for 56k.

sticking with base 79k 1LT. final answer
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Six figure pricing on this car would be a disaster after the gotta have guys have shot their wads. The wealth that supports these high ticket luxury items is being redistributed at an ever increasing rate in this country. $3,000 discounts on C7s 2 months after their introduction is testimonial to this fact.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

This has nothing to do with Z06 pricing; The Z28 Camaro is a very limited run trim; and priced accordingly.

The reason the base C7 was not much more than the C6 was because the time that has passed between development cycles; The C6 was an old platform, sporting technology that was carried over from the C5 and already out of date when it released. The C7 was the update to the C6 platform to include the technology you expect to find on a sports car in 2014. It was such a significant bump because the C6 had simply fallen that far behind; and candidly... GM did a stellar job and hit it out of the park.

The same is true for the Z06; The C6Z represented a old platform build on already old technology; and the C7Z is going to be a one stop catch up on 15 years of development.

I seriously doubt there will be a significant bump in base price between the outgoing c6 z06 and the c7 z06; As they are simply releasing an update to what should be included in an 80k sports car in 2014.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
$3,000 discounts on C7s 2 months after their introduction is testimonial to this fact.

I think this is important to note. Now that the most of the "must buy now at any price" guys have taken delivery of their cars, The traditional discounts that we have always seen offered on Corvettes are starting to come right back into play. It will be interesting to see how sales are sustained in the second and third model year.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

What I want to know is where all the idiots who claimed there wouldn't be one cent in discounts for years are now, sure not hearing much from them on the subject anymore. I still think you are both right though, C7Z probably starts out not too dear but has options which will run it up into the higher prices points. If you look at the potential spread on C7 from entry to maximum dollar buy it wouldn't be much of a further stretch to see this car having a lower entry point as described but with pricey (and lucrative) options like ccb's added running a max buy in up to the teens. It makes sense from a lot of angles. Close enough that some base car buyers might take the extra step. Pricey and lucrative options to help margins for those that can afford the tariff. Trigger the maximum number of buyers with the least investment.

This is a guess of course but a reasoned one. The question is does it hold up? Anybody see any major holes in that?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by harley2
No chance. They might drop some hints, but no way are actual prices going to be released. It'll be months after.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crabman
What I want to know is where all the idiots who claimed there wouldn't be one cent in discounts for years are now, sure not hearing much from them on the subject anymore. I still think you are both right though, C7Z probably starts out not too dear but has options which will run it up into the higher prices points. If you look at the potential spread on C7 from entry to maximum dollar buy it wouldn't be much of a further stretch to see this car having a lower entry point as described but with pricey (and lucrative) options like ccb's added running a max buy in up to the teens. It makes sense from a lot of angles. Close enough that some base car buyers might take the extra step. Pricey and lucrative options to help margins for those that can afford the tariff. Trigger the maximum number of buyers with the least investment.

This is a guess of course but a reasoned one. The question is does it hold up? Anybody see any major holes in that?
You are spot on IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i just hope they have all their facts together come the reveal none of this wait 3-4 months then we will reveal pricing etc...

Quick Reply: Z06 Price points