C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'15 Z06 Facts, Per "Hot Rod" Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:59 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
What high performance sports cars that are meant for heavy duty track use have removable tops? Answer: ZERO

It doesn't matter how rigid the chassis is, introducing a weak point like a sunroof or (gasp) REMOVABLE section of the roof makes the car less rigid than it otherwise would be.

The rumors of automatic transmissions and targa tops makes me wonder what direction GM is really taking with this car....
Again you show your ignorance. Most cars are unibodies... which are very different from the C5/6/7s full frame setup. It's difficult to compare the two deigns, but on the Corvette the body panels are non-stressed members. The increase in torsional stiffness comes from linking the window frame to the b-pillar roll-hoop. Bolting the top in place is no-stiffer than having it latched in place. The only reason it was bolted in on the C6 Z06/ZR1 was to prevent owners from easily removing it. On that car the chassis became too flexible with the top out... to the point the aluminum could work harden from load cycling and crack the frame.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

His point is that it is stiffer with the roof latched in place versus having it removed, no matter how stiff it is in that state.

Targa and auto have me scratching my head too.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

i would absolutely love a targa top if it adds a few lbs in weight i don't care. They'll be a model thats a fixed top im sure for race only enthusiasts.
The auto is for the other 50% of the market that don't want to drive a stick, it might even be more than 50% who knows... Smart move regardless
Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

For those complaining about the targa, just don't remove it for crying out loud, or have a shop weld it shut so that you won't ever get tempted to remove it.

I welcome the 8 speed auto. While I did enjoy the 7 speed SMG in my BMW M5, it was not ideal around town and you had to shift near redline to get really hard shifts when you were playing around, and then they were almost too brutal. I think the 8 speed auto will combine the best of both worlds except for the most **** purists.

Last edited by Stunt; 01-12-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Bolting the top in place is no-stiffer than having it latched in place.
A couple latches are as stiff as multiple bolts? I don't recall GM releasing any test data on this. Please point us to your source.

Michael
Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What high performance sports cars that are meant for heavy duty track use have removable tops? Answer: ZERO

It doesn't matter how rigid the chassis is, introducing a weak point like a sunroof or (gasp) REMOVABLE section of the roof makes the car less rigid than it otherwise would be.
Or maybe, just maybe, every performance test revealed the same result, top bolted in, or removed? Who says there is anything to gain from it being bolted in VS latched in anymore? Before, it was done to protect the fram as well remember.

Also, to address your other point about DCT, it isn't as easy as just sourcing one out of the blue. I do believe there are NO DCT cars out there making 600+ lb ft other then the Veyron(Benz has one with 570lb-ft I think).

Now could they get a modified one made? Maybe, but what cost to GM, and the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, DCT>torque converter for performance. Period. But the torque from the LTx presents a problem.

It's made for a broader market this time. Face facts, that's how you make money. However, the Z07 track pack might be fixed roof you know...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:45 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hot Rod is usually spot on. I remember last year or so when they went into the LT1 (I scanned it to the C7 section) things are looking good!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice find! Thank you
Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

So 625/635 vs 620/650? Which is it?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive seen the renderings, read all the leaked info... what I am really wanting to hear is what it will weigh! With the C6Z06 they were bragging about all the weight saves right off the bat even before the car was released. Not this time so far, the hp numbers seem to be the big story.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,289 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
So 625/635 vs 620/650? Which is it?
Neither. Regardless of what the figures are announced at the show, they are just conservative estimates until SAE testing is complete months from now.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 AM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Why? Seriously why?

The ONLY reason the C6 Z06/ZR1 had a fixed roof was because the aluminum chassis was too flexible to risk customers taking the roof panel out!

The C7 vert with the top down is 20% stiffer than the C6 Z06/ZR1 with the roof bolted in! This article shows it's the same with the targa panel.... 20% stiffer top out and 60% with it latched in.

If you don't like the targa panel out don't take it out... don't be a retard beating the "it has to be a fixed roof" drum for no reason. The only reason to fix the roof is to prevent the owner from removing it if it makes the chassis to flexible... that's not an issue here.
cause we don't want no stinkin leakin sqeakin rattlin piece of junk
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 AM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This information has been around for a few days. I wonder if it will have the Magnetic Ride? We haven't heard anything on the suspension set up yet.

Last edited by BLKTA; 01-12-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stop whinning for F*** sake, if you don't like the auto get a manual, everything I found on the ZF says that it could shift in 100ms in some of the available platforms today what makes you think this 8l90 isn't even better?

Yes I would love a DCT but I don't think there is an 8speed DCT, the auto would probably have close ratios and still have a proper overdrive for the highway.

Most of the high-end sports cars do NOT rely on the roof anymore for structural rigidity, granted they have carbon tubs, but I think that 60% more rigidity with the roof on vs a C6 Z06 or C7 ZR1 is impressive.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
00hotvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rumors of automatic transmissions and targa tops makes me wonder what direction GM is really taking with this car....
Not true Dodge ACR Viper convertible.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKTA
This information has been around for a few days. I wonder if it will have the Magnetic Ride? We haven't heard anything on the suspension set up yet.
I am really hoping that the Multimatic DSSV shocks are available. Purely my speculation, but if the Hot Road sidebar is accurate in saying that there are three levels of Z06, it may be that the mag shocks are available on one of the levels, DSSV shocks on another, and the carbon/ceramic brakes are also on one of the higher level packages.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Real cool! I like what they did to the C7! Even even more news coming soon!
I see the 3 levels a great idea same engine but likely minus track features
which I don't need.

This car will be worth the price tag! Where as the C6ZR1 really wasn't worth the premium over the C6Z06. Not that that it is not a great car
but not worth upping the 40k from the 2008 Z06 79,000 MSRP vs 2009 120,000
MSRP. This has me to wanting change plans for game changing car.
This is the one, with the 8 spd auto will incredibly quick! With good MPG too
Finally I'm going this over the stick I'm just putting a deposit on this now vs buying a C7 now that would lose ground on trading back in less than a year.
Then I would have both of GM"s monster's. One stick one auto.

Wow that was a 180 degree turn, 1st you hate the C7, making posts of how ugly it is, how great Your ZR1 is, how much you were hoping the C7 would be 150k, bla , bla
Did you take the "I hate C7 posts down yet?, you are not a car enthusiast , it quite funny watching you put your foot in your mouth, so many of your anti C7 posts were deleted, you think people don't remember .

Get notified of new replies

To '15 Z06 Facts, Per "Hot Rod" Magazine

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM
deathangel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this car comes with a torque-converter automatic transmission I will pass on it.

I will accept nothing less than crisp, immediate shifts from paddle inputs. I don't care how good this 8L90E is, if Ferrari, Porsche, Nissan, and others are using DCT, that's where the best technology lies. Using a traditional automatic tells me 3 things:

a) GM's DCT, which they have filed many patents for, is not yet ready.
b) When the DCT is available it is going to make the non-DCT Z06 less valuable, much like the LS2 C6 Corvettes.
c) GM can source a DCT from a handful of suppliers who make DCT transmissions capable of pairing with the LT4 (ZF, Getrag, BorgWarner) but chose not to out of cost considerations.

I don't want a car where important pieces of technology are either omitted due to cost or are implemented half-assed. What a huge, HUGE disappointment if this Hot Rod scoops turns out to be true.
Just because all these other brands offer a DCT in their top models does not necessary mean that it's "superior".... You're not bitching about the "outdated" use of push-rods while everyone else went DOHC are you?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
targa-terrible
You make me laugh, GM should of done this years ago. About 2% of all corvette drivers ever expirience taking these things to the track, or autocross. This is a great idea for all the garage queens and weekend warriors, which consist of 90% of corvette owners.
If you've got ***** enough to track your car simply put the top on, period, end of story.....
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
C6nexttime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just proof there wont be a zr1 or grand sport. Seems like they are trying to please everyone with one car and save money. removable roof version, a fixed roof version, optional automatic etc

Quick Reply: '15 Z06 Facts, Per "Hot Rod" Magazine