C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'15 Z06 Facts, Per "Hot Rod" Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by daekwan06
post of the year!
kapow!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OHV4LIFE
Great. Can we assume that you won't continue to visit here and post complaints about the lack of a DCT? In stead of posting here, can we assume that you will be out driving the vehicle that meets your requirements?
You may assume as such.

Ultimately there will be a Corvette model with a DCT. GM is developing such a transmission.

And when the DCT-enabled Corvette is available, lord knows what that will do to the market for the slushbox Corvettes.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
You know you may be on to something. I guess my 20 years of DEs in the Advanced group have just been a complete waste of time. Hopefully in the near future I can just sit in the passenger seat and read?
Bish
Yes! You could blog your experiences in real-time here on CF! And let the ECU do the hard stuff!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I am already planning on selling my c7 and I only have 500 miles on it...come on z car. It will be my first auto vette since 1984 when you could not get a manual at the beginning of the model run. The 7 speed shifts so nice in the c7 I will be only getting the auto because of the increased performance it avails.
Increased performance? Really? We don't know yet if there will be increased performance, but even if there was, it would be small. Are you competing?

Michael
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
I've read for literally over a decade here "if only GM would offer an auto in the Z06" for reasons due to not being able to drive a stick due to being older or a disability or whatever. Lots of car show/waxer/"typical Corvette guys" dont want a hardcore car
jd,

The problem is that the DCT is a best-of-both-worlds approach. Leave it in "Auto" mode and it will satisfy the waxers. Shove it to manual mode and it will make the track junkies very happy.

The fixed/removable roof thing can be handled simply: make it an option. BMW gives the option of Carbon Fiber Roof vs. Sunroof; this makes everybody happy.

I think the people who are defending a torque-converter traditional automatic in the Z06 1) have absolutely no clue what a DCT actually is and 2) have very little understanding of what the competition is doing lately.

Let's be honest, the reason this transmission is going into the car is for no other reason than cost. It is inferior to a DCT in every other possible way.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

Let's be honest, the reason this transmission is going into the car is for no other reason than cost. It is inferior to a DCT in every other possible way.
I certainly don't disagree a DCT is superior to a torque converter auto, however...

You keep saying cost, which, is fairly easy to gather you mean higher profit for GM at XXX dollars. Did you stop to consider that it might instead mean the Z06 might cost GM, and thus the consumer less? Higher percent profits are nice, but more people opting for a $2000 option vs less opting for a $3500 option in the first place is usually a better business practice(other then the "money is no object" tier).

Secondly, can you name one car with a DCT and 600+lb-ft besides the Veyron, 918, LaFerrari, or P1, all million dollar cars? I sure can't. I think Benz's practice of keeping the 5 speed for its power house motors vs the 7 speed DCT for everything else says something.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 AM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jd,

The problem is that the DCT is a best-of-both-worlds approach. Leave it in "Auto" mode and it will satisfy the waxers. Shove it to manual mode and it will make the track junkies very happy.

The fixed/removable roof thing can be handled simply: make it an option. BMW gives the option of Carbon Fiber Roof vs. Sunroof; this makes everybody happy.

I think the people who are defending a torque-converter traditional automatic in the Z06 1) have absolutely no clue what a DCT actually is and 2) have very little understanding of what the competition is doing lately.

Maybe you should read this post from someone who provides something more than just an opinion:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585894798-post22.html
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a lot of people in this thread are confused about why a Carrera GT and a Formula 1 car are different from a Corvette with a targa top.

If you are trying to make the argument that the C7 chassis does not derive any of its rigidity from a fixed roof you are going to lose that argument. Additionally, no matter how you slice it, adding a removable roof adds unnecessary mass in the absolute worst place to put it in a car. (which is why cars like F1/CGT/Koengsegg dont have roofs...at all).
I don't see the great disparity in reasons for why the CGT/Koenigseggs have removable roofs, but somehow a C7 shouldn't. Even if there were a reason, your question of which cars designed for track use was answered. (We could add the CLK-GTR and Maserati MC12 to that list, the former having been derived from an actual FIA GT racecar.)
The argument is not whether the C7 chassis can derive rigidity from a fixed roof. It's about whether such a difference is going to be so significant as to be
1) felt by potential customers, and
2) a deterrent to them buying it.

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
That's a great point though, which proves that the overwhelming majority of owners don't track their car, even with one of the most die hard enthusiast cars out there. The numbers certainly shrink from there with other makes.
In the end, these are road cars with track capabilities, not the other way around. As such, these cars will be built for road purposes.

The link to the Viper article also doesn't say to what degree those people track their cars. Once a week? Once a year? And whether they could feel (or measure by lap times) the difference between a C7 targa with the roof in or a C7 with a fixed roof.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

for me... lack of removable roof will also mean less in cabin noises.... rigidity helps a lot in this. If the rood has better rigidity so will the hatch and it will make less noises... one of the things I REALLY liked about the C5Z. No hatch lots of noise less than a C6Z. Specially when going over a curb.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

jd,

I've skimmed several of your posts, but haven't wasted too much time on them. For a track-focused Vette, a DCT would be nice, but for 95% of the real Corvette owners and drivers (do you even own a Corvette by the way?), a regular automatic is great.

I don't know if you read, but at WOT the new 8L90E automatic that's going on the Z06 and will proliferate across the line-up and into the trucks, etc. in one form or another will upshift FASTER than Porsche's PDK. You have the best of both worlds!

What do I mean? I've actually driven Porsche PDK and in stop and go traffic, you can feel the computer engaging and disengaging the clutch at low speeds. Going through the parking lot and in stop and go, the PDK is actually a little lurchy. I was shocked when I drove a buddy's wife Panamera Turbo ($130k car) with PDK and it was lurching a little bit at lower speeds. I didn't like that.

So, a normal torque converter automatic completely updated as in the new 8L90, you get the best of both worlds, butter smooth stop and go, cruising through parking lot, but then in attack/full combat mode, the thing can bang off upshifts faster than a PDK.

Factor in the unit cost of the 8L90 versus another manufacturers DCT and it's a no brainer for GM to go with a bulletproof 8L90 that can do it all.

And even if it doesn't double downshift quite as fast the newest PDK from P-car or F-car land, it won't matter because the LT4 engine will pull like a freight train in gear and won't need the extra milliseconds the DCT would offer over the 8L90.

So, sit back down and either go back to "advanced technology wunderbar land" or buy a Corvette and enjoy the water.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I've skimmed several of your posts, but haven't wasted too much time on them. For a track-focused Vette, a DCT would be nice, but for 95% of the real Corvette owners and drivers (do you even own a Corvette by the way?), a regular automatic is great.

I don't know if you read, but at WOT the new 8L90E automatic that's going on the Z06 and will proliferate across the line-up and into the trucks, etc. in one form or another will upshift FASTER than Porsche's PDK. You have the best of both worlds!

What do I mean? I've actually driven Porsche PDK and in stop and go traffic, you can feel the computer engaging and disengaging the clutch at low speeds. Going through the parking lot and in stop and go, the PDK is actually a little lurchy. I was shocked when I drove a buddy's wife Panamera Turbo ($130k car) with PDK and it was lurching a little bit at lower speeds. I didn't like that.

So, a normal torque converter automatic completely updated as in the new 8L90, you get the best of both worlds, butter smooth stop and go, cruising through parking lot, but then in attack/full combat mode, the thing can bang off upshifts faster than a PDK.

Factor in the unit cost of the 8L90 versus another manufacturers DCT and it's a no brainer for GM to go with a bulletproof 8L90 that can do it all.

And even if it doesn't double downshift quite as fast the newest PDK from P-car or F-car land, it won't matter because the LT4 engine will pull like a freight train in gear and won't need the extra milliseconds the DCT would offer over the 8L90.

So, sit back down and either go back to "advanced technology wunderbar land" or buy a Corvette and enjoy the water.
and amen...

It amazes me how much people whine over perceived transgressions in the rules of what defines a corvette or in this case a Z06. The reasons that the C5 and C6 Z were FRC had nothing to do with tradition and more had to do with circumstances (C5) or material science (C6). I've had targa top vettes and FRCs and miss the targa top - the option of the targa top is a selling point of the new Z06. For the purists, I guess you can pay someone a grand to weld the top frame in place... Knock yourself out. The real differences between your car and one with the targa latched in place is going to be within the intra-driver lap-to-lap variability.

As for the auto, again I think its great. Not for me, but it increases the appeal of the Z car, increases the chances more will be ordered, and thus increases the chances GM will keep making the Z06 and by extension the corvette. How is that not good for all buyers? GM is going to make business decisions for the majority, not the few who track their cars and not for the other minority who think they can dictate who can purchase this car based upon some crazy race car driver fantasy.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

jd,

Your name isn't Dan, is it?

Quick Reply: '15 Z06 Facts, Per "Hot Rod" Magazine