C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ho hum......not really blown away by the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
rkelon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Me neither

Originally Posted by drivestwin
Is it just me?
Too boy racer for me and anyone can create power with a turbo or supercharger. I like the old Z06 because it is normally aspirated and creates horsepower. I would have preferred less gain but with the previous generation motor.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it just me?
Yep. Its just you.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Is it just me?
We go through this with every new reveal. Some will not like it for whatever reasons they have. That is fine. Those that like it, like it. Those that like it and can afford it will buy it.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the weight? I'm mostly unimpressed. It will be difficult to make big power with this thing.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

I'm definitely blown away by the power and what will surely be jaw dropping performance numbers. Regarding the looks, however, I feel like they could have gone a little further. The visual difference between the C6 and Z06/ZR1 was immediately noticeable, but when you look at the new Z06 from the rear or directly from the side it's virtually impossible to distinguish it from a Stingray...which isn't a bad thing by any means.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
Ya the thing looks horny with pronounced scoops and dams but we expected that.
Look, I liked it a lot too but.......
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I hope only the Z07 option has all that aero they showed. I don't want (or need) all that on my car. I'll rarely track it, and I think the front splitter and side skirts look horrible. Love everything else, though.
From what I've read, I think we are stuck with the front splitter design regardless of what trim level it is. The rear spoiler will be different though, with the base trim offering the Z51 spoiler.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it just me?
what would blow you away?

faster than outgoing ZR1.
optional auto, and available stick.
targa allows you to get your hair mussy
likely other-worldly handling/grip, and likely will spank everything for 2-3 times the money on any track in the world.

what would you need? jet engine? flying capabilities? submarine function?

please don't say DCT or AWD. please.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any talk of pricing yet out the door loaded up. It may be early.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty4
Any talk of pricing yet out the door loaded up. It may be early.
C&D Confirmed under 100k fully optioned.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
What is the weight? I'm mostly unimpressed. It will be difficult to make big power with this thing.
Big power? It comes stock with over 600HP for crying out loud. I guess some people can never be satisfied. It could have come out with 1000hp and people would still complain that it won't make big horsepower. I've driven 800WHP cars on the street and they are about as enjoyable to drive as I imagine driving a NASCAR would be on the street. Puck style racing clutches with high effort clutch pedals, obscene wheel spin with any kind of throttle application that isn't perfectly smooth and measured, insane fuel consumption, etc etc.

The fact that the Z06 will come with the power and torque figures it does while still maintaining some civility for daily driving is just nuts.

But for those wondering, I am quite positive that you will still be able to hit 1000+ HP with this engine, but of course it will cost you, dearly.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bigwoolyg
what would blow you away?

faster than outgoing ZR1.
optional auto, and available stick.
targa allows you to get your hair mussy
likely other-worldly handling/grip, and likely will spank everything for 2-3 times the money on any track in the world.

what would you need? jet engine? flying capabilities? submarine function?

please don't say DCT or AWD. please.
Mid engine, you forgot mid engine!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Beaz
Thank you! Very nice looking car and power to boot for the price!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
isellpower
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks good, numbers are excellent. However, without a DCT you can't really call it a "world class" sports car. Most every other world class sports car isn't even offered with an automatic or manual for that matter. Sadly, the ZO6 will continue to be second in the most semi-affordable high-end sports car category. Perhaps we can finally shut the GTR crowd up with the ZR1.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Mid engine, you forgot mid engine!
lol looking for mid engine hybrid 918ish car for 90K.

heh.

want to be blown away by a z06? try to keep up with it with a $100K porsche.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by isellpower
Looks good, numbers are excellent. However, without a DCT you can't really call it a "world class" sports car. Most every other world class sports car isn't even offered with an automatic or manual for that matter. Sadly, the ZO6 will continue to be second in the most semi-affordable high-end sports car category. Perhaps we can finally shut the GTR crowd up with the ZR1.
If it doesn't come with an option for manual it isn't a true sports car.
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how long its going to take to convince you that the next gen of torque converter autos are BETTER in every way than even the most advanced DCTs. I'd say once the first ring times are published for a production Z06 with the Z07 package and 8spd this talk will stop.

Get notified of new replies

To Ho hum......not really blown away by the Z06

tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaz
Maybe its not a dream!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Huh?

The numbers of the Z06 will likely put the GT-R within striking distance in the 1/4 with the auto. That is the only claim to fame the GT-R rests on right now. Really fast 0-60 and low 11's in the 1/4. The Z06 will spank it on pretty much any road course as has been the case since the GT-R's inception. I've never really considered the GT-R to be in the same league as the Corvette Z06, it's a fast car and is a stoplight drag race god, but in the grand scheme of things it's nowhere near as good as an all around super car. I'm sure people will bring up the upcoming Nismo package GT-R ring times but considering that the car that set that time is pretty much not what the buyer will be getting and a one off tune specifically to run that track, the time is basically asterisked.

Just because the DCT is in so many exotics doesn't make them the best technology for transmissions, it just means that it's the system those manufacturers determined would suit their needs the best, kinda like what GM is doing with the 8L90. If i could have my wish, the Z06 would have a true manual sequential transmission with full throttle lift-less upshifts, but I can wish in one hand and take a dump in the other and see which fills up faster.

This Z06 will be my first ever Corvette, and likely the first time I've ever bought an auto if the reviews are good. If they aren't great then the M7 will suffice
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Is it just me?
Yes!

Quick Reply: Ho hum......not really blown away by the Z06