C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at it this way too, maybe it is actually a sincere statement that there will be no C7 ZR1 in the works. After all, it did take them 14 years to bring the ZR1 nameplate back after the C4 ZR-1 in the first place. IMO Maybe it would just be a stupid expensive car to develop that they would only sell a handful of so they are going to wait until they can really wow people.

Seriously, $55k base with 460hp, almost 100K for a Z06 with 630ish hp, unless they can be up at 800hp with the warranty would the $150k even be worth it?

It's kind of like how there was no Grand Sport C5 or any Z06 at all in the C3, and C4 generation. They have to keep it people wanting or they will never sell any of whatever is coming next.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rpm94
Thanks Jim!

On a side note, how many of your GT2 Dred hoods have you now sold? I am wondering if I still have something special.

Best visual mod that I have done to my car by far.
35 and two for me.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1. What a cop-out. This is almost as bad as hearing all future holidays are canceled. Here’s what Autoblog is reporting: “Introducing a ZR1 halo car above the upcoming Z06, which is due at the end […]

More on the blog.

If you are one of the few (by percentage) that track your Vette, or if you just have a real need horse power, then this Vette's (Z06) for you.

But I believe there is a lager number of potential and current Vette owners that would be just fine with a 2016 Grand Sport.
The GS gives the larger base Corvette buying population an opportunity for an update and somewhat of an upgrade pluse the good looks of a wide body.

I said all of that to say this: It would be my guess that GM/Chevrolet would see more $$$ at the end of the day by selling a GS than a ZR1.

With the prices being what they are, GM/C would have to sell 2 GS for ever 1 ZR1. I think it would be more like 5 to 1, or maybe even 6 to 1.

So ask your self if it was your investment dollars that you were trying to get a decent return on (ROI) what would you do?

But on the other hand, all of the cool tech that goes into the ZR1s end up in the lesser cars?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM
mike69440
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
There's still one thing left to supercharge: the LS7.

Not saying they will, but that would be one way to achieve 700 HP before going to turbos.
Like 9/1 CR and 13-14 Lbs of boost won''t net +700 hp on an LT4?
A 2.2-2.3 L axail screw would be feasible and meet all the laws and requirements.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/
Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I somehow feel this should have been the ZR1 and brought back the Z06 with 550HP LT7 DI Engine. NO DoD.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There may be hope for this though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/15/c...-track-report/
Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar
AKA: We are not thinking about it right now... or better yet RIGHT NOW we are not thinking about it..

GM statements at hand, I tend to agree with the line of thought indicating Chevrolet is keeping it's powder dry an adapting to market conditions as they materially evolve in the market. In other words: flexibility.

C6 ZR1 was no exception. From a business standpoint (at the end that is what this is all about) and with GM statements at hand, the ZR1 was a relative cheap experiment resulting in an impressive end product and an effective defensive play.

For all the insecurity induced derision cast out at the "measly" ZR1 4000 plus units sold to date (I have not verified the numbers) that is no joke for a Porsche, Ferrari and what have you.. that celebrate US market penetration (in this class - we are talking above 911S league..) in the tens or hundreds..

So business: 4000 plus units taken away from "you know what" by adding a supercharger on an LS3 and upping the brakes on a platform already paid for..

C7 06 is already the above and more so no need to think about ZR1 right now but if the competition moves than Chevrolet may move as well..

My2C
Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think people understand the ZR1 as a GM product. Its job was to function as a tuck-in product to attract the high end of the market while further leveraging the platform technology at virtually zero additional R&D cost. And in this regard - adding to the profitability of the Corvette VL, it was wildly successful. The reality is that the ZR1 had a lower manufacturing cost than a Z07 Z06 due to the substitution of the very costly LS7 engine for a blown powerplant that can be mass-produced. And with the ability to pass along most of the more expensive content price to customers (mostly the carbon brakes) because the customer perceives this as high value, GM's profit margin on these was huge.

I doubt GM will miss out on this for the C7. It will be offered when the marketing guys believe the time is right.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Yeah, and Mark Reuss was telling journalists 4 months ago that there was "no discussion of a Z06". These guys will say anything to sell you the current toy they just rolled out - and the Corvette faithful will thank them, salivate, and run out and buy the C7 ZR1 when they surprise us with one this time next year (well, you won't be able to buy one before 2017). We have seen the patents for the centri SC - the ZR1 is coming and it will be mid-700s. Shoot, it may even have retro tail-lamps - who knows. Of course, we all know I have been proven wrong before.
I remember the whole no Z06 discussion... they must have developed this car really fast then.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Halltech that a C7 supercar will eventually come to market. The Z07 should be good competition for the GTR and 911 Turbo crowd. Imagine what kind of car GM could build with a base price of $150k+? V8 TT, DCT transmission, and space materials cutting 200lbs. GM could easily do it if they want too.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Originally Posted by uxojerry
I agree with Halltech that a C7 supercar will eventually come to market. The Z07 should be good competition for the GTR and 911 Turbo crowd. Imagine what kind of car GM could build with a base price of $150k+? V8 TT, DCT transmission, and space materials cutting 200lbs. GM could easily do it if they want too.
Its just that nissan did it and for a lot less money....
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The limited edition GTR that did 7:08 at the Ring is priced around $200k, from what I hear.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

I believe the 2013 GTR lapped the ring faster than a ZR1.... and it's cheaper too, considerably.... Even still if we put the average driver on a GTR, I bet it would lap it faster than the average driver on a ZR1...

And before anyone babbles about technology and nanny aids.... average driver on a ZR1 will beat an average driver on a Yugo, which means... Weight/Materials/Design/Power, can be counted as technology or aids as it aids the car and driver to achieve faster speeds.

That is pretty much the point. The Corvette is moving up it's price range, yet it is not delivering on the actual goods like it used to.

Now, the purpose of my post is that people really need to demand more from the Corvette Brand for the price they are paying... ZR1 and now the Z06 is really a premium price... It is not like the 2002 which was just 6k or so more than a C5. Even in the 2006 C6 it was what? 15k? But it netted a lot more improvement? The 2012 Z06 went up considerably and there was pretty much the same spec'd car.

Last edited by The Highlander; 01-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by uxojerry
As if the Z06 isn't already a supercar...

There is no such thing as enough horsepower for some people, and horsepower does not equate to supercar. Overall handling and performance equate to supercar. How does a TT V8 magically make a better performing engine? You change the entire character of the engine with turbochargers, sure you'll likely get a few more horsepower at a given boost level but then what? The front engine rear drive platform can only handle a certain amount of horsepower before that horsepower negatively affects other aspects of the car's performance. The Ferrari F12 is a perfect example of what too much power does to a car. The base C7 was barely slower around a track than a 720hp Ferrari...not exactly flattering for the Ferrari. So where do you draw the line on power? I know some people on these forums just want MOAR POWAH! for their drag strip heroics, but the average consumer that can afford a Z06 or ZR1 want a car that does more than goes fast in a straight line. We want that power to be accessible, and useful on fun twisty roads and tracks. I have a feeling the Z06 pushes the limit of the C7 chassis as far as useable power. Wider tires will only get you so far as the Viper can attest to with it's 375's that it can easily break traction with.

So a DCT option will make a supercar? I am so tired of this nonsense cheerleading for a technology that for all intents and purposes suffers from similar issues to a normal auto. The only thing is no one is pushing tc auto tech as most manufacturers default to the available DCT's instead of trying to find a better approach. The ZF8 speed that the 8L90 is based on is a fantastic transmission that already had fast shifting, GM decided to take that ZF8 speed and engineer it to shift faster and handle even more power and torque. So what happens when the TC auto becomes better than the DCT at doing what a DCT does? Will everyone still clamor for the DCT while "poo-pooing" the auto because of their firmly held belief that theres no way it could be better and that it's just not exotic enoug to be considered "supercar" worthy? I have long held the belief that DCT's would eventually be trumped by tc autos and I wouldn't be surprised that we might just get the first ever auto that truly offers DCT track performance with smooth as silk daily driver performance, something DCT owners often lament.

I know people just want a bigger number to brag about while hanging out at the starbucks with your fellow waxers (no offense to waxers I like to show my toys from time to time too) but, what could they possibly add to the Z06 to make it worth more money and warrant a whole different trim level?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Roidz
Pro

Yeah not on the radar YET. Doesn't mean it won't be. I would be perfectly happy and content with a Z06, however.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

My guess is the ZR1 is coming back as a C8 TT. The Corvette team is great at giving some information and then leaving you guessing with future products. As previously stated, there's a lot of marketing strategy in their timed press releases and spy shots/reveals to get the anticipation level high.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

What would the ZR1 be anyway? A car that is even more track oriented? In order for them to consider making a ZR1 I think the top end Z07 package has to sell fairly well.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Keep calm everyone. The C7 base car came out with a starting price very close to the C6 base. I would bet the C7 Z06 will also have a starting price close to the C6 Z06. The LT4 has maps for normally aspirated, supercharged and a turbo charged engine management operation. The base C7 is normally aspirated and the Z06 is supercharged. I feel sure there will be a turbo charged C7 that is priced with a starting point similar to the ZR1. Who knows what it will be called. It is probably under way in some corner of the skunk works and management has no idea it is underway.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Think outside the box. No, there won't be a ZR1 on the C7 chassis. There's nothing left to do after the Z06 on that chassis.

Parts are already being sourced for the C8, believe it or not. A "new model" is expected in about three years. I don't know if that's the ZR1, but logic would indicate that it is.

In order to push the Corvette forward, a new platform is in order, not just for differentiation but for packaging and mechanical flexibility. Think mid-engine.

The ZR1 would have to be a one-off model; something special like the Ford GT.

Don't cry foul now. 8 speed paddle shifted automatics are here, supercars with targa tops are here, and blown Z06's are around the corner. Forget what you've known about the Corvette and think forward.

It should be noted that Cadillac is opening doors for the Corvette that weren't considered before. A big reason why the Z06 has the 8L90E is because the 3G CTS-V, which will receive the LT4 as well, will have the 8L90E.

Premium technology that is expected the luxury world, therefore Cadillac, must be developed. Thus, scalability and cost efficiency across appropriate models are available.

Don't under estimate GM's plans for the Corvette. It requires critical thinking beyond Chevy.

Quick Reply: GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?