C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What is the difference between ZR1 LS9 and LT4 C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 844 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
Agreed. Good post.

Ehh, I don't think we've seen compressor maps for both blowers yet to really make that claim. Yes, the 2.3L is spinning slower, but that's not the only variable here. The 1.74L is a newer generation with shorter lobes and other efficiency improvements designed to spin faster and be more efficient at that range. Everyone talks about the "small blower being over-spun" but it's not like GM just slapped a different pulley on the blower to spin it faster and called it a day. They worked with Eaton on the TVS 1.74L to get the efficiency range where they would be using it.

That said, I agree the total power potential of the 2.3L is higher, but to say the 2.3L is more efficient, just because it's larger displacement/rev is ignoring a lot of key variables in blower performance. I'm not claiming the 1.74L is definitely more efficient, just that we don't have the data necessary to make a claim either way without the compressor maps. The data we do have (IAT1 vs. IAT2) actually suggests the 1.74L works great in the stock application.

The other thing is that the intercooler on the LT4 is claimed by GM to be an 11% improvement over the LS9's. From what I've seen/heard, unless there's something wrong (like air bubble in the intercooler system) the Z06 overheating issues are oil and coolant temperature, not IAT1 vs. IAT2 (Heat soak), so at stock/near stock power levels, the talk of the 1.74L being inefficient and overspun is really overblown and hasn't been backed up with actual data, just people making guesses based on the displacement/rev variable. Based on results of people swapping the radiator out being minimal improvements, it seems to be more of an airflow issue than a radiator heat rejecting capacity issue, as well. So any engine making this much power would likely have issues with the same airflow/heat exchanger setup.

Take a gander at this thread too though,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-setups.html

You have to be looking for pretty high power numbers to make the 2.3 worth it, it seems.
Amen.... Preach brother. If folks actually studied the advances and improvements Eaton incorporated in the 1.74 they would know much of the negative talk about it is overblown nonsense. I remember when this talk of the 1.74 being to small and undersized started on this forum. It was long before Dec 2014 and none of us even had a car.
Someone started that talk and many swore to it. No facts, no compressor maps, no IAT's, no manifold temps, No logged data at the time because no one had a friggin car.

And the rumor still persist.
Yes a 1.74 will run out of air long before a 2.3 but that point is beyond what most of us will mod our cars to need. There are those who will need a 2.3 or a whipple because they want power levels beyond a 1.74s capability. That capability is probably around the upper 700hp at the crank. But even if you put a bigger blower on it, to make the power gain worthwhile and take advantage of the extra air you are forced to do a whole lot more to the motor than just adding a bigger blower.

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-17-2016 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CPhelps (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:01 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
C6Z never ran out of power. I can tell you that. What it lacked vs the C7Z or even the Stingray is being unable to put it down as efficient as the 7th gen Vette can. You are talking about increasing power but have you thought about putting it down? You can bet your *** the MPSC2 won't do that for you. They might help but they are not capable of miracles.. Then you have 150lbs of lift at 124mph.. No power increase of cup tires will help with that.
My comment was Lt's, CAI and a tune, maybe 50 HP at the wheels....I didn't say a supercharger to add 150+ HP. The C7Z generates far more TQ down low where mechanical grip is most needed, if anything the C7Z is at a disadvantage down low for grip. The C6Z is ~400 lbs lighter than C7Z so MPSC2's will yield higher gains on a lighter car than a heavier car...fundamental physics from Newton's Laws. There are over 170 turns on the Ring so weight transfer has a huge influence on why the 505 HP C6Z was able to turn a lap only 3 seconds slower than a 638 HP ZR1 that weighs ~200 lbs more. I'm not talking miracles...just physics.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I love how people talk about how "efficient" the TVS-2300 is over the TVS-1740 without looking at a compressor map, or knowing the boost ratio, or really having any idea whatsoever.

Just because a blower is bigger doesn't make it more efficient. The high efficiency area on a compressor map is an island, and you can be outside of it in multiple dimensions, both too big, too small, too much boost, too little boost, and so on. Spinning it slower does not necessarily increase efficiency.

But the unending ZR1-worship just assumes that since the blower was bigger it must be better.

The reality is probably that it's what was available in an off-the-shelf part from Eaton at the time, whereas the C7 got a custom piece.

Last edited by davepl; 06-17-2016 at 07:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
3 Z06ZR1 (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ?

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
My comment was Lt's, CAI and a tune, maybe 50 HP at the wheels....I didn't say a supercharger to add 150+ HP. The C7Z generates far more TQ down low where mechanical grip is most needed, if anything the C7Z is at a disadvantage down low for grip. The C6Z is ~400 lbs lighter than C7Z so MPSC2's will yield higher gains on a lighter car than a heavier car...fundamental physics from Newton's Laws. There are over 170 turns on the Ring so weight transfer has a huge influence on why the 505 HP C6Z was able to turn a lap only 3 seconds slower than a 638 HP ZR1 that weighs ~200 lbs more. I'm not talking miracles...just physics.
Sprung weight is down force. The problem comes from that weight moving around from lateral G's.
As a matter of basic Physics, that I have done a simple Lab. on, more weight everything else being equal gets you more traction, and friction, but, it slows it. You want the car to stay flat and not be upset by bumps or hills.
MR does a good job of allowing for all the different variables needed in an all around GT street car. IE Stiffness doesn't transfer weight optimumly from a dig!

J.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-17-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I love how people talk about how "efficient" the TVS-2300 is over the TVS-1740 without looking at a compressor map, or knowing the boost ratio, or really having any idea whatsoever.

Just because a blower is bigger doesn't make it more efficient. The high efficiency area on a compressor map is an island, and you can be outside of it in multiple dimensions, both too big, too small, too much boost, too little boost, and so on. Spinning it slower does not necessarily increase efficiency.

But the unending ZR1-worship just assumes that since the blower was bigger it must be better.

The reality is probably that it's what was available in an off-the-shelf part from Eaton at the time, whereas the C7 got a custom piece.
Did GM use the tiny 1.74L blower on the COPO Camaros or the larger 2.9L and for the Top Dog, a 4.0L?

When they selected the 2.9L and the 4.0L blowers, did they do so deliberately so they would be slower than the Fords.

And before you reply, I'm aware they used a Whipple.

If the 1.74L blower is so wonderful, why did Callaway go with the 2.3L? Couldn't they too have used the Eaton 1.74L rotors in their from-the-ground-up new supercharger where they picked up 107 horses above GM's little 1.74L unit(and still is 50 state emissions legal).

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Mikeyfitz
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

Stock to stock the lt4 lays a whipping on the LS9.
Interesting...

But no I'm not clueless, I understand the reasoning behind why it's faster. But stock for stock, no way id choose an LT4.. Not to mention they're breaking completely stock.

Dunno if I have even seen a LS9 explode yet lol. Although I'm sure some have somewhere.

Last edited by Mikeyfitz; 06-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

2 separate issues both linked together.

1. GM used a smaller blower for hood clearance to meet pedestrian laws in Europe.

2. GM needed to maintain or increase engine output for next Gen C7Z. The TVS 1740S is more efficient due to subtle improvements in blower housing intake, heat exchanger and other areas.

Without question the GM TVS 1740S is an improved design over the outgoing GM TVS 2300. Designing the 1740 to be smaller and ~20 lbs lighter is space and weight efficiency. Output in the design window of power range is improved and more efficient. Comparing GM products whether entire cars or components from one generation to the next we should see design improvements.

Both units use Eaton rotors of the 160* helix design. The size of rotors and housing is where the changes exist. A 2300 by volume alone will pump more air but due to blower housing improvements the 1740 will have a better input to output ratio however still falling short of the larger 2300. The LT4 engine is an evolution of the LS9 but it is not without compromises in some areas. That is The Good, The Bad and The Facts.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyfitz
Interesting...

https://youtu.be/gRF0Lb2oOds

https://youtu.be/KQWk3x-3WIE

But no I'm not clueless, I understand the reasoning behind why it's faster. But stock for stock, no way id choose an LT4.. Not to mention they're breaking completely stock.

Dunno if I have even seen a LS9 explode yet lol. Although I'm sure some have somewhere.
Senseless for you to even post!

Engine to engine NOT ZR1 to C7Z

SHEZZZ can you understand that the LIGHTER weight helps the ZR1.
SWAP engines between the two and the ZR1 wins BY A MILE

650 > 638 650>604
then a load more under the curve.

HOPE THAT HELPED LT4 > LS9

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Academic arguments

The power and speed of both cars is very high. Highly technical differences between the two would seem to have little impact of the brutal reality of their power. The Camaro and Vette have always sold into very different markets. Describing the characteristics of the average Camaro owner vs average Vette owner would sound like I was being very disparaging toward the former.

IMO the Camaro is just plain ugly. It resembles an animated cartoon car from a video game or action movie aimed at teenage boys. That is, IMO, precisely why it sells well. The Vette has class and attracts buyers, no matter their age who appreciate it. As such, I don't care what is under the hood of the Camaro. I write it off as a result of just looking at it.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If the 1.74L blower is so wonderful, why did Callaway go with the 2.3L?
Different horsepower target. If GM was shooting for 750 or 800, they would have had to. But you (nor I) know the effects if any at low speed, emissions, fuel consumption, and so on.

As we've seen there's even still room to pulley up the 1740 by at least 18%
Old 06-18-2016, 01:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Then like GM is going to cut a hole in the hood?

Why did Callaway cut a hole in the hood? Because the blower didn't fit!
Then if you put the ls9 in one car and the exact same car only with the lt4.

The car with the lt4 out preforms the ls9 with the smaller blower.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

When team Corvette releases the C7 ZR1 or Zora or whatever they're going to call the C7 top dog, the very DNA of some in this sub may unravel.

Internet Brands may have to open numerous grief counseling portals.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

The car with the lt4 out preforms the ls9 with the smaller blower.
That's the thing - the LT4 outpowers the LS9 and the parts that the LS9 has that are "stronger" don't fail on the LT4, so where's the win?

What makes it better, other than being amenable to future upgrades? Sounds like nothing, so far as I can tell.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:01 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Hell no!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
When team Corvette releases the C7 ZR1 or Zora or whatever they're going to call the C7 top dog, the very DNA of some in this sub may unravel.

Internet Brands may have to open numerous grief counseling portals.
They will just throw a Le Man's or two to let them (you) down easy.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Mikeyfitz
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Senseless for you to even post!

Engine to engine NOT ZR1 to C7Z

SHEZZZ can you understand that the LIGHTER weight helps the ZR1.

650 > 638 650>604
then a load more under the curve.

HOPE THAT HELPED LT4 > LS9
I still doubt it. Less than 200lbs isn't going to make that huge of a difference. And the ZR1 can do it back to back to back many more times without overheating.. Can't say same for the LT4. Sorry man.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I still doubt it. Less than 200lbs isn't going to make that huge of a difference. And the ZR1 can do it back to back to back many more times without overheating.. Can't say same for the LT4. Sorry man.
My LT4 runs all day at the track without overheating even on hot days. Or did you mean the LS9 overheats?

Which way? Put the more powerful LT4 in the old body you mean? Yes, that'd make the ZR1 faster, though ordering a crate motor for a ZR1 would be silly, just buy the C7Z. Not the other way around though because the LS9 makes less power.

Last edited by davepl; 06-18-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

My LT4 runs all day at the track without overheating even on hot days. Or did you mean the LS9 overheats?

Which way? Put the more powerful LT4 in the old body you mean? Yes, that'd make the ZR1 faster, though ordering a crate motor for a ZR1 would be silly, just buy the C7Z. Not the other way around though because the LS9 makes less power.
Sounds like hubris to me in view of the whoopin your C7 Z06 took in the above videos.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the difference between ZR1 LS9 and LT4 C7 Z06?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Sounds like hubris to me in view of the whoopin your C7 Z06 took in the above videos.
Considering the C7Z currently has the quickest and fastest 1/4 and 1/2 of any stock Corvette to date and tied the ZR1 for a 1 mile trap... it kinda makes me wonder if you are a troll or a really bad troll. Pick the one that suits you...makes no difference to me.

Last edited by Lavender; 06-18-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting...

https://youtu.be/gRF0Lb2oOds

https://youtu.be/KQWk3x-3WIE

Comparing a non stock ZR1 to a stock Z? Great.. certainly a sign of insecurity here. Currently a C7Z auto (yes like the one in the video) has posted faster trap @ 1/4 and 1/2 mile than a stock ZR1. The ZR1 in the video imo got something more than a intake and exhaust for it to pull like that.

I won't even comment the speedometer videos because frankly this is just.. don't know how to call that. Comical at best might fit but Id say its not enough still.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:45 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Not surprising you would put any credence in a video of speedometers.
Suggest you browse the respective Fast Lists instead of getting your (worthless) data from videos.
S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Snorman:
JHEBERT (06-19-2016), Lavender (06-19-2016), tail_lights (06-20-2016)

Quick Reply: What is the difference between ZR1 LS9 and LT4 C7 Z06?