C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why not more carbon fiber for weight loss.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Answer: We are not in the carbon fiber business for profit. I mean that. Except for the GT2 hood, our other carbon fiber products have been too exclusive and expensive for most Corvette owners, and most of our carbon fiber products have extremely high investment molds costs that are never recovered. We realized this fact many years ago, but still love the idea of an all carbon fiber Corvette, don't you?

If GM would do the entire car in carbon fiber, it would be fine with us, we could concentrate on other cars, and stick with intake systems. Halltech is a very small niche company that concentrates on cars that I personally like and modify. If the market follows me, then we are successful. If not, we croak. After 15 years, we are still going strong, with over 20,000 sales since our beginning.

For instance, our C7 StingerCKN was destined from the beginning to be overpriced for the market it would serve. We were pretty excited when the airbox was finished and total retail pricing came in under $1000. Then we found out that we could not control IATs without a fully enclosed airbox. We redid the molds, but all the prior molds were scraped, at a great loss financially to us, but I was determined to make it right, not just pretty. The lid alone requires a four piece mold, not counting the intake bridge/velocity stack. What we have now is the ultimate intake, but ultimately too expensive. That will not change.

We had a open PO from Katech for their ultimate 427 C7 build and dyno testing, that will be sporting our intake, costs were put aside. We have had 20 dealers inquire about our intake, and have over 125 that purchase our intakes as our natural market. But with no profit margin for them, they quietly hang up the phone, and move on to Superchargers, headers, etc. Which is totally understandable. The first 4 CKN intakes were sold well under our cost in the end, due to our mistakes.

Recovering the mold cost for any carbon fiber part requires too many sales that never come. It would be nice if we had the Plasan patented pressure press technology which yields a part in sub 20 minutes.

We could do our intake in 10 minutes!

By the way, you can see that I started this thread for a very good reason. Notice the Plasan jpg. and as I said before, they already have the fender molds.
But the C7 already has a carbon fiber roof and a carbon fiber hood so you can't deduct that weight twice.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
One thing that helps shift the weight bias rearward is that the heavy torque convertor on the auto is attached in front of the transmission where as the heavy flywheel and clutch on the manual is attached to the rear of the engine. That's about a 6 foot shift in weight.
THAT'S an interesting observation!

Maybe the A8 gig isn't as bad an idea that some of the purists declare?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JoesC5
But the C7 already has a carbon fiber roof and a carbon fiber hood so you can't deduct that weight twice.
Who's deducting anything? I posted a picture from a website. If you go backwards, you'll see the reason for this addendum, is that GM has already addressed my question. This jpg from Plasan, mysteriously showed up today. I say cool!!!

Joe, do you have the removable carbon fiber roof? Wonder if you could weight yours. It is too dang cold here in WI to fiddle with anything right now.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 01-25-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Answer: We are not in the carbon fiber business for profit. I mean that. Except for the GT2 hood, our other carbon fiber products have been too exclusive and expensive for most Corvette owners, and most of our carbon fiber products have extremely high investment molds costs that are never recovered. We realized this fact many years ago, but still love the idea of an all carbon fiber Corvette, don't you?

If GM would do the entire car in carbon fiber, it would be fine with us, we could concentrate on other cars, and stick with intake systems. Halltech is a very small niche company that concentrates on cars that I personally like and modify. If the market follows me, then we are successful. If not, we croak. After 15 years, we are still going strong, with over 20,000 sales since our beginning.

For instance, our C7 StingerCKN was destined from the beginning to be overpriced for the market it would serve. We were pretty excited when the airbox was finished and total retail pricing came in under $1000. Then we found out that we could not control IATs without a fully enclosed airbox. We redid the molds, but all the prior molds were scraped, at a great loss financially to us, but I was determined to make it right, not just pretty. The lid alone requires a four piece mold, not counting the intake bridge/velocity stack. What we have now is the ultimate intake, but ultimately too expensive. That will not change.

We had a open PO from Katech for their ultimate 427 C7 build and dyno testing, that will be sporting our intake, costs were put aside. We have had 20 dealers inquire about our intake, and have over 125 that purchase our intakes as our natural market. But with no profit margin for them, they quietly hang up the phone, and move on to Superchargers, headers, etc. Which is totally understandable. The first 4 CKN intakes were sold well under our cost in the end, due to our mistakes.

Recovering the mold cost for any carbon fiber part requires too many sales that never come. It would be nice if we had the Plasan patented pressure press technology which yields a part in sub 20 minutes.

We could do our intake in 10 minutes!

By the way, you can see that I started this thread for a very good reason. Notice the Plasan jpg. and as I said before, they already have the fender molds.
It is not easy owning a business. Most people think we are millionaires, just because we have a business and or a performance vehicle business.... Far from the truth... Glad you still do this. I love Carbon Fiber.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Revised Picture

I revised the Plasan picture showing our contribution. Katech's Carbon Fiber engine covers shave off approximately -5 more lbs.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, I thought you guys said the fenders were not carbon fiber on the C7? Why is the Plasan picture telling the opposite? im confused, what parts on the C7 ARENT made of carbon fiber?

Last edited by zeshawn; 01-26-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by zeshawn
Jim, I thought you guys said the fenders were not carbon fiber on the C7? Why is the Plasan picture telling the opposite? im confused, what parts on the C7 ARENT made of carbon fiber?
Plasan is GM's source for carbon fiber parts. The front fenders have not been announced in the press releases. Shortly after I posted that fact, like two days later, Plasan showed this picture on their website.

The differences are between SMC and carbon fiber. It takes them sub 20 minutes to make one hood, so they have the process dialed in.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 01-27-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Notice that this is a picture of the Stingray, not the Z06. Maybe for the few extra bucks GM decided to pop the surprise early, or I helped them make the decision.

Katech's deck is molded ready and they are taking pre-orders. That would leave the rear quarter panels, which are small pieces, the doors and front and rear fascia, which have crash testing done and passed. For that reason, they may remain the material they were made it.

I just know that for an option like Carbon X, some folks would finance $10,000-$12,000 more to have what very few Super Cars have. All carbon fiber bodywork.

Even without carbon fiber, this car is going to bring down many records.

I say easy 9 second quarter mile passes are in its future factory stock, with maybe minor bolt ons. Intake, headers, pulley.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Notice that this is a picture of the Stingray, not the Z06. Maybe for the few extra bucks GM decided to pop the surprise early, or I helped them make the decision.

Katech's deck is molded ready and they are taking pre-orders. That would leave the rear quarter panels, which are small pieces, the doors and front and rear fascia, which have crash testing done and passed. For that reason, they may remain the material they were made it.

I just know that for an option like Carbon X, some folks would finance $10,000-$12,000 more to have what very few Super Cars have. All carbon fiber bodywork.

Even without carbon fiber, this car is going to bring down many records.

I say easy 9 second quarter mile passes are in its future factory stock, with maybe minor bolt ons. Intake, headers, pulley.
what happened to the guy that asked you to use your brain and that carbon fiber wasn't an option due to cost?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that the Z06 should be lighter, but cf body panels high cost doesn't come from the manufacturing process, it comes from the cost of certifying a different body for crash standards.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Cost

Quick Reply: Why not more carbon fiber for weight loss.