C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Motor Trend/ZR1 speculation

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Motor Trend/ZR1 speculation

April issue of MT: MTConfidential/Mike Connor:

"According to a source deep in GM, the ZR1 should be packing 700-800 HP."

He then continues with old news, "...if the Z06 makes over 600 HP, then ZR1 will have 750 HP..." etc. etc.

Now, why would MT be regurgitating this 'stuff' in the latest issue like its 'breaking news'??? Especially with the consensus so far there may not BE a ZR1?... (O.K. So they could call it an L88 or whatever.)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Just like C&D, rehashing stuff to sell mags I believe.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

"Deep in GM" = Magazine jargon for wild *** guess. Speculation like this doesn't hurt a magazine's reputation because they basically put it on GM to prove them wrong and if Gm doesn't release a ZR1 with the claimed figures Motor trend can just say that their source "inside GM" was wrong or that it will be possible in the C8, etc.

Car magazines are only good for getting "real" information about real cars, not speculated cars or rumors. Tidbits like this hidden in an issue of Motor trend generate buzz, that buzz makes people curious so they might go out and buy the latest issue so they have it in front of their own eyes. After that we get to listen to all the suckers that buy into the hype that those magazines spew.

you have to think how leaking any information about a ZR1 at this point can help GM. The Z06 is on the horizon with performance numbers that put the C6 ZR1 on alert (the C7 Z06 will likely destroy any previously held track records of the ZR1) and GM will focus it's effort on selling as many of these cars as possible. A rumor about a ZR1 started at GM is pretty much the last thing in the world the GM marketing machine would want at this point. You also have to remember that companies like GM keep the media at arms length and only let the media talk to their head engineers (that are well versed in their talking points). Even if one of those article writers is best friends with an engineer working on the next big thing at GM, that engineer would be committing career suicide leaking any info about a car like the ZR1 especially before the launch of the Z06.

So if you managed to read this far, there is no reliable source of information to any of these car magazines. They all speculate about future cars based on information they glean from press releases and interviews to make "wild *** guesses" about the future and print them in hopes that they are right...in essence car magazines are the equivalent of Miss Cleo for the auto industry.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

L88 ,sounds right
Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegaan
April issue of MT: MTConfidential/Mike Connor:

"According to a source deep in GM, the ZR1 should be packing 700-800 HP."

He then continues with old news, "...if the Z06 makes over 600 HP, then ZR1 will have 750 HP..." etc. etc.

Now, why would MT be regurgitating this 'stuff' in the latest issue like its 'breaking news'??? Especially with the consensus so far there may not BE a ZR1?... (O.K. So they could call it an L88 or whatever.)
Same author wrote in March MT about twin-turbo LT motor in upcoming Caddy also slated for coming ZR1. Discussed in previous thread. Agree with previous poster, could be entirely baloney. But possible element of truth somewhere. That's why we read this forum.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Good points. WAGs, rumors and hype do stir up magazine sales, unfortunately! Tough to separate the wheat from the chaff...like on this forum

Originally Posted by Supermassive
"Deep in GM" = Magazine jargon for wild *** guess. Speculation like this doesn't hurt a magazine's reputation because they basically put it on GM to prove them wrong and if Gm doesn't release a ZR1 with the claimed figures Motor trend can just say that their source "inside GM" was wrong or that it will be possible in the C8, etc.

Car magazines are only good for getting "real" information about real cars, not speculated cars or rumors. Tidbits like this hidden in an issue of Motor trend generate buzz, that buzz makes people curious so they might go out and buy the latest issue so they have it in front of their own eyes. After that we get to listen to all the suckers that buy into the hype that those magazines spew.

you have to think how leaking any information about a ZR1 at this point can help GM. The Z06 is on the horizon with performance numbers that put the C6 ZR1 on alert (the C7 Z06 will likely destroy any previously held track records of the ZR1) and GM will focus it's effort on selling as many of these cars as possible. A rumor about a ZR1 started at GM is pretty much the last thing in the world the GM marketing machine would want at this point. You also have to remember that companies like GM keep the media at arms length and only let the media talk to their head engineers (that are well versed in their talking points). Even if one of those article writers is best friends with an engineer working on the next big thing at GM, that engineer would be committing career suicide leaking any info about a car like the ZR1 especially before the launch of the Z06.

So if you managed to read this far, there is no reliable source of information to any of these car magazines. They all speculate about future cars based on information they glean from press releases and interviews to make "wild *** guesses" about the future and print them in hopes that they are right...in essence car magazines are the equivalent of Miss Cleo for the auto industry.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have heard rumors of a twin turbo - if so it will destroy everything out there. GM needs an all out race car with 800hp with the ability to turn up the boost and make 1000
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

I am usually on the C6 forum but I am obsessed with the new Z06 and hope to order one later this year. What confuses me with this thread is that GM announced a 625 HP - Ft/Lb + machine with a single super charger. Am I missing something?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
I am usually on the C6 forum but I am obsessed with the new Z06 and hope to order one later this year. What confuses me with this thread is that GM announced a 625 HP - Ft/Lb + machine with a single super charger. Am I missing something?
No, except the tendency of all car mags to throw out pseudo-informed blind guesses now and then just to get attention and clicks. A 700-800hp ZR1 is a nice thought, and factory people from Tadge on down have been asked about it often, but all they'll say is stuff like "Z06 is the only one we're working on right now" http://blog.caranddriver.com/corvett...r-development/ leading to pronouncements last month from most media outlets that a ZR1 wouldn't happen. This month, they're stirring the pot the other way, knowing that the pot will always respond, such as Corrode & Crack http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futur...t-corvette-zr1 rendering what they think-hope it will look like.

Next year we will know. If there's no ZR1 in this generation, I suppose I can learn to live with only 638hp.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red08Roadster
Same author wrote in March MT about twin-turbo LT motor in upcoming Caddy also slated for coming ZR1. Discussed in previous thread. Agree with previous poster, could be entirely baloney. But possible element of truth somewhere. That's why we read this forum.
The TT Caddy motor has been seen in the flesh by some

Personally I believe there will be a ZR1 that will use the wide CF front seen on the C7R that will make it easily and visibly recognized by persons who are not necessarily "car people" as a better and more expensive car than the ZO6

........ and as usual the ZO6 owners will raise a fuss about how it's not really a better car and why didn't they get the wide front end

Last edited by Shurshot; 02-22-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wait for the 2015 NAIAS Then get in line..GM wouldn't ship C7Z till 5/15 anyhow
Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Didn't Keeks (sp?) say something many months ago about the real "hot rod" Corvette coming in 2016? The guy's been right every step of the way. I'm sure there will be a ZR1 or L88 eventually but I'm not too concerned. Just like with the C6 generation the Z06 will be exactly what I'm looking for. Those who will always need to be in the fastest car going 0mph in the parking lot will never be happy. Just buy and enjoy...something faster will eventually come out.

Best,
Gene
Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Just b/c they're are 750hp plus cars running around everywhere. That is way too much hp for the general public, it won't happen.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Just b/c they're are 750hp plus cars running around everywhere. That is way too much hp for the general public, it won't happen.
You do realize that many people said the same thing about 600hp on this forum not even that long ago.....aaaaand here we are today.

Best,
Gene
Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
You do realize that many people said the same thing about 600hp on this forum not even that long ago.....aaaaand here we are today.

Best,
Gene
Well with just 4000 examples and a $110,000+ sticker, that isnt my definition of general public, however the C7Z might change all that. However can you imagine a sub 50,000 Vette with over 600hp? Deaths. deaths everywhere.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Hey Gene it looks like we're neighbors. You are correct but to go from 620-640 to 750-800 won't happen IMO. That much hp for the street is almost useless anyway and most of us would be in over our heads like many were in Vipers over the years, the difference being Vipers until now had no electronic "save my ***" from myself devices. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend/ZR1 speculation

Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Wait for the 2015 NAIAS Then get in line..GM wouldn't ship C7Z till 5/15 anyhow
Z06 isn't shipping for 15 months??
Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
I have heard rumors of a twin turbo - if so it will destroy everything out there. GM needs an all out race car with 800hp with the ability to turn up the boost and make 1000

Funny......got that right.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Typical mag hype.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend/ZR1 speculation