C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GT-R Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default GT-R Nismo

http://www.boldride.com/ride/2015/ni...ismo#gallery/4

Above is a link to photos on the 2015 Nismo GT-R--$150,000.00, 600 HP.

First, it is really ugly, at least to me. Second, do you think it is a formidable competitor to the new Z06? I am sure it will throw up great numbers, but....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 05-16-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Will be faster in every aspect than the current GTR. Supposedly only 100 will be imported. We don't have performance numbers on the Z06 yet.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't even think it's 100 they are bringing to the US. As I recall it's 52.
They're going to be like unicorns so IMO how well they run is sort of irrelevant, as you'll probably never see one on the street or at the track.

Also IMO, VERY overpriced for what amounts to slightly different turbos, calibration and some aero. Almost crazily overpriced. Considering the R35 has been getting a bit long-in-the-tooth over the last few years, I'm guessing Nissan is trying to drum up some excitement for the R35 platform. Don't expect the R36 to appear before CY '17 as a MY '18.
S.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
They're going to be like unicorns so IMO how well they run is sort of irrelevant, as you'll probably never see one on the street or at the track.

Also IMO, VERY overpriced for what amounts to slightly different turbos, calibration and some aero. Almost crazily overpriced. Considering the R35 has been getting a bit long-in-the-tooth over the last few years, I'm guessing Nissan is trying to drum up some excitement for the R35 platform. Don't expect the R36 to appear before CY '17 as a MY '18.
S.
The trend to "skip" model years seems to grow...Viper...gtr...maserati gt/mc and others. I surmise it is due to cost and anticipation...rrm
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think Nissan will skip a model year, I just think they'll continue the GT-R largely unchanged for another 2-3 years.
There is still nothing concrete out there about the R36.
S.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

S.
I saw the pics in the link provided by the OP and I noticed a difference between the GTR pictured there and the GTR that ran @ Nurburgring. First thing I noticed is the wing sitting much lower and the lack of fence @ hood.

I thought the Nismo GTR had all the aero parts and stuff?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM
GZire
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S.

Yeah all the NISMO stuff is highly overpriced.

Competitive or better than the Z06...........who knows, but one thing for certain is the GT-R is no longer the best performance for the $$$$ that it used to be in 2009.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Honestly, I've never been a Porsche guy because I generally disliked the shape of most of their vehicles. I do like that people have as much passion for them as Corvette owners do. The GTR though, to me, makes any Porsche look absolutely beautiful in comparison.

Regardless of performance, I will always look at the GTR and wonder what the hell happened with the "styling" of the car.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Originally Posted by jma242
Honestly, I've never been a Porsche guy because I generally disliked the shape of most of their vehicles. I do like that people have as much passion for them as Corvette owners do. The GTR though, to me, makes any Porsche look absolutely beautiful in comparison.

Regardless of performance, I will always look at the GTR and wonder what the hell happened with the "styling" of the car.
I agree. I am sure there is a reason for why they chose that body style instead of the 370z. To me the 370z is a very good looking car.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GZire
Competitive or better than the Z06...........who knows, but one thing for certain is the GT-R is no longer the best performance for the $$$$ that it used to be in 2009.
There are some things the GT-R does better than the C7 and some things the C7 does better than the GT-R. IMO, the C7's interior, infotainment, seats (Premium...the Black Edition Recaros are pretty damn good) and comfort level (to include ride) is better than the GT-R. The C7 drives nicer and feels smaller and much more nimble. But it's hard to beat AWD, especially when it's executed as well as the GT-R's is, on the street and in many cases at the track. The Z06 is going to surpass the GT-R in all out performance by what I think will be a pretty good margin.

Nissan is going to have to step up big time for the R36. The last major revision to the R35 was in '12 in the form of a 45hp bump, revised front and rear fascias and lots of little calibration changes to the DBA cars. They're going to need to have a more evolutionary change than that to get back ahead IMO.

But the GT-R is really a great car. It's not as refined as some $100k+ competitors, but it's a true 4-seater with a big trunk and performance that is undeniable.
S.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

There are some things the GT-R does better than the C7 and some things the C7 does better than the GT-R. IMO, the C7's interior, infotainment, seats (Premium...the Black Edition Recaros are pretty damn good) and comfort level (to include ride) is better than the GT-R. The C7 drives nicer and feels smaller and much more nimble. But it's hard to beat AWD, especially when it's executed as well as the GT-R's is, on the street and in many cases at the track. The Z06 is going to surpass the GT-R in all out performance by what I think will be a pretty good margin.

Nissan is going to have to step up big time for the R36. The last major revision to the R35 was in '12 in the form of a 45hp bump, revised front and rear fascias and lots of little calibration changes to the DBA cars. They're going to need to have a more evolutionary change than that to get back ahead IMO.

But the GT-R is really a great car. It's not as refined as some $100k+ competitors, but it's a true 4-seater with a big trunk and performance that is undeniable.
S.
I agree. The C7 is what the magazines and shows have been comparing to the base GT-R. The Z06 will defiantly be a step above. I'm guessing the nismo version is what they will compare to the ZO6. I still believe other than low traction conditions the ZO6 will outperform it.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No one cares (buys) for the GT-R because it looks terrible compared to the competition even if it's faster.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Guess I saw a Unicorn.

This was sitting in the paddock at VIR a few weeks ago getting ready for testing in the C&D Lightning Lap
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

GT-R Nismo will be quick at VIR for the lighting lap. It would be even quicker if they had one fitted with the optional N-attack package, which is basically in the same vein as the Z07 package for the Z06: stickier tires, more aero and a few other tweaks. N attack package is what was fitted to the Nismo for its record setting 7:08 lap at the Ring, which is going to be really hard to beat for any car in the same price range.

While I can understand some are not keen on the styling of the GT-R, no one can deny its performance. I happen to own both a GT-R and a new C7 Z51. I bought the C7 because I have found the GT-R to be a bit too hard core for a daily driver. The C7 is much more comfortable on the run back and forth to the office, and feels like a sports car with its nice 2-seater cabin, quality interior and sleek looks. But nail the throttle on an offramp or sharp curve, and the tail comes out, forcing you to back off. Nail the throttle on a damp road, and it gets pretty squirrely. The GT-R on the other hand just honkers down in the same conditions and simply eats the tarmac. It is a totally different, and much faster driving experience. On a rough road, the car is brilliant with seemingly endless traction. You have to drive a high power car with AWD to appreciate what massive improvement it provides in the traction department. I am off to the track next week, and my GT-R is the weapon of choice for dicing it out with GT3 RS's and the like. My C7 would definitely be slower. But I will be running it on track as well, and learning how to make it go fast. However in the GT-R I can carry 4 R-compounds in the car with jack and safety gear, with my wife in the passenger seat. Not going to be doing that in my C7 on the way to the track. Might have to drive the Stingray to a track day on its R-comps (not too far though). So the cars are very different, and both great. I love them both, for different reasons. Will have to wait and see how the new Z06 is, which I assume will be very good. Likely a more appropriate competitor for the Nismo GT-R. Until a car runs better than a 7:08 at the Ring, Nismo GT-R with its N-attack package is the reference to beat.

Last edited by descartesfool; 05-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Fastdart69
Instructor

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
http://www.boldride.com/ride/2015/ni...ismo#gallery/4

Above is a link to photos on the 2015 Nismo GT-R--$150,000.00, 600 HP.

First, it is really ugly, at least to me. Second, do you think it is a formidable competitor to the new Z06? I am sure it will throw up great numbers, but....

Boy, is that thing butt ugly. It looks like three different cars grafted together! It may be fast but it ain't pretty.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastdart69
Boy, is that thing butt ugly. It looks like three different cars grafted together! It may be fast but it ain't pretty.
that car looks
Old 05-17-2014, 10:51 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The GTR still looks like a fat kid chasing the icecream truck.
A remarkably fast fat kid but all the same.

Get notified of new replies

To GT-R Nismo

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racerns
Guess I saw a Unicorn.

This was sitting in the paddock at VIR a few weeks ago getting ready for testing in the C&D Lightning Lap
That's probably the only one you'll ever see at the track.
I'm actually surprised Nissan gave MT one of those to test considering the fact that only 52 will be sent to the US market.

That being said, I see LOTS of GT-R's at the track.
S.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:46 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

That's probably the only one you'll ever see at the track.
I'm actually surprised Nissan gave MT one of those to test considering the fact that only 52 will be sent to the US market.

That being said, I see LOTS of GT-R's at the track.
S.
And I've been driving mine hard at the track for 5 years now, going on 6, and not a single failure or reliability issue of any kind. Car needed aftermarket coolers, but nothing, and I mean nothing has ever broken on the car. I've also never seen a GT3 RS of any flavor or year I couldn't outrun on the track. That says a lot for me on the car's pedigree. Hoping my C7 is as bulletproof on track after 5 years. We'll have to see what it needs in terms of additional cooling for brakes, tranny, diff, engine, etc to run cool all day long on the track.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:21 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

There is a ton of hate for the GT-r on this forum for whatever reason (usually the stated reason is because it's ugly) - but it's certainly a car I have almost nothing but respect for. Its appearance isn't sleek like the C7's, but it's a car that (like the C7), at its core, is all about getting the job done. With AWD implemented as well as it has been in the GT-r, and with its dual clutch, it's a very well engineered machine; agree with the poster above -- it's the reference to beat.

Quick Reply: GT-R Nismo