C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

650?!? try 3,000 HP

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Nothing says fun like a car you have to baby the throttle until 5th gear. Probably why you see so many 1000 hp Vettes for sale on this forum....it loses its charm pretty quick.
That's nothing. Right now there are 8-9 "big" build GT-R's for sale in the "Members GT-R's For Sale" section on GTRLife.

People build these big hp cars, then come to the less-than-pleasant realization that a 1000+ whp car isn't going to be reliable and grenading ~$25k Shep-built GR6's every few months isn't exactly fun.

Just like in my Viper days...fond of a particular twin-turbo build? Just hold tight for a few months, it'll be up for sale after the owner realizes how useless 1200+ rwhp is on the street. Usually, they're sold with a "pump gas tune" making ~800 rwhp or less. And even then, they sit.
S.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Heck, I've only got 525hp or so at the wheels and for the most part I cannot use it on the street. I haven't found a track long enough yet to really use it in a race...but I'm looking forward to that next fall...then I'll need a brake upgrade to get serious...then more safety equipment with roll bar, harnesses, ect...

Now I'm supposed to double that...oh wait, triple that???? Sure. Where can I buy some 15" wide tires...and make them fit...
Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Haha yes. Chevrolet is not going to build a several hundred thousand dollar vette. Stupid business ethics. Sell several for $50-70k and let the customer decide if they want to leave it alone or send to a shop to build it up. That mach 1 had 9.4L turbocharged engine Lol how much money to build a transmission and rear end to handle that and still slap a 100k mile drive train warranty on it. Emission requirements are getting tighter, not more lenient. 650hp+ with a great warranty on and off the track with an automatic is unreal. Go corvette!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

How about spending the money it would take to get 3,000 (snicker) reliable (snicker) horsepower on training instead? After instruction by instructors who know what they're doing and practicing on tracks instead of public roads, chances are with only 650hp you'll be faster than the guys who seek hardware solutions to software problems. You'll also crash and die less often.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, OK,... I get it. No one likes the idea.
hahaha.
I am honored to be awarded "worst thread ever" though! *yes!*

But just to clarify, I wasn't saying GM should make a 3,000 HP corvette.. I was trying point out that 3,000HP has been done , and even done years ago, which means 1,000 isn't totally and completely unreasonable and unobtainable. ( and lets not forget the C7 post on this forum about a new twin turbo v8 patent application GM recently filed. )

I backed that up with supporting evidence of a 1000HP concept car that GM built way back in 2003, and a forum member chimed in who already has a 1300HP car.

I guess I just don't get why everyone is dripping in their drawers over the '650HP' number because that was only 'amazing' maybe way back in 1980. Also, as someone else already posted out on this forum, Ford has already discontinued a vehicle that has MORE horsepower which was around the same or less money.

To summarize, I stand by my opinion that the Z06 will be awesome but GM can (and probably will) do something much more ground breaking very soon. 650 is nothing to sneeze at, but its not so unbelievable.
Why is everyone clamoring on like its a new era in automobiles or something??? I want to see GM really flex its muscles.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

1980? Really? Cars were like 200-300hp n the 80's Lol what's one production car that made that much power in 1980? Ford just did the 662 to have the most. The lt4 was built for a purpose, like racing. Tons of torque. And the only way they could do it was to have low numbers for emission purpose. Could gm build a pretty reliable 1,000hp corvette? Yes no doubt. Will they? No. It'd cost way too much and they'd lose money on it. Have to remember warranty. Gm will warranty the corvette on and off the track. Will ford? Bugatti? Etc.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9
To summarize, I stand by my opinion that the Z06 will be awesome but GM can (and probably will) do something much more ground breaking very soon. 650 is nothing to sneeze at, but its not so unbelievable. Why is everyone clamoring on like its a new era in automobiles or something??? I want to see GM really flex its muscles.
You still dont get it.

The reason why its a big deal, is that I can count on one hand.. the number of production cars with 650hp under the half million mark. This is a new, factory built car backed by a 5yr/100k warranty.

If you want more power than that. You can either pay alot more for it.. and/or lose alot of warranty coverage along with it. So when something goes wrong.. get prepared to spend even more.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
You still dont get it.

The reason why its a big deal, is that I can count on one hand.. the number of production cars with 650hp under the half million mark. This is a new, factory built car backed by a 5yr/100k warranty.

If you want more power than that. You can either pay alot more for it.. and/or lose alot of warranty coverage along with it. So when something goes wrong.. get prepared to spend even more.
I don't think he will get it for several more years..
His "dripping in their drawers" statement should be a dead giveaway. He most certainly was not old enough to be driving in the 80's and possibly even the 90's. He obviously has no real understanding of what it takes to produce a production car of this nature with this kind of power that passes current emissions standards while still providing a very good power train warranty and then to do so at the price point of the Corvette.

Instead this is clearly fantasy kind of thinking that is no way takes into consideration the facts you clearly pointed out. Any reasonable adult who has been around these types of cars and even today's "supercars" would clearly understand that 650HP/650Tq is serious OEM power and nothing to sneeze at. It is most certainly raising the bar for sports cars at this price point by leaps and bounds and is going to push the limits of usability for a car like the Corvette.

1000HP from GM isn't coming anytime soon. Contrary with the OP's flawed line of thinking, I highly doubt it would even be possible with the current small block design if keeping it 50 state emissions compliant and backed with any kind of a warranty were part of the criteria. Even if it were possible, it isn't going to happen because it's simply too much power for the car as it's currently designed and would not improve it's performance on a track enough to warrant the sacrifices in reliability and gas mileage. By the way, I'm not talking about drag strip because that is not what the Corvette was designed for despite the fact that it does reasonably well there.

OP,
It's great to be a dreamer but might I suggest that if you are going to dream out loud, at least do so with reasonable expectations instead of delusional fantasies.

Last edited by slief; 06-16-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

OK, those responses were truly hilarious!
hahahaha....

Now, did I say something funny?
1,000 HP cars on pump gas are all over the place... or hasn't anyone noticed?

And as for 3000 HP.. uh.. this was built way back in 2011....

3000HP

just sayin'...
you don't seem to have much experience with manufacturing or reliability design?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 AM
mte.smiles
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Since we are making ridiculous statements.. why stop at 3,000hp?

When are we going to get 50,000hp? If we can make a nuclear powered ship.. we can make a nuclear powered car.
Now that's funny.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:44 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

OR....

Maybe all you old school gear heads need to spend a few more hours at the after midnight car meetups and see what people are really running these days. 650HP is no biggie folks.

And if GM won't do it... they are going to be left in the dust because everyone else is. Oh, look.. the 2016 GTR will be 800HP

"2016 Nissan GT-R Hybrid is headed to this month's New York auto show with 800 hybrid horses under the hood."
2016 GTR
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

OR....

Maybe all you old school gear heads need to spend a few more hours at the after midnight car meetups and see what people are really running these days. 650HP is no biggie folks.

And if GM won't do it... they are going to be left in the dust because everyone else is. Oh, look.. the 2016 GTR will be 800HP

"2016 Nissan GT-R Hybrid is headed to this month's New York auto show with 800 hybrid horses under the hood."
2016 GTR
^Either this dude is 8 years old or he is sitting behind his computer screen laughing his *** off in amusement.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yenko boy
^Either this dude is 8 years old or he is sitting behind his computer screen laughing his *** off in amusement.
A little of both maybe?

Seriously, its true I do have a mild propensity for being mischievous, and I rarely act my age... but I have also custom tuned turbo engines, raced corvettes to the limit in downpouring rain and often doodle alternative engine designs on my napkin at dinner.

I know a little more than you think.. I've done quite a bit more than you assume... and I'm sorry that I'm not very impressed with a miniscule gain of +12 HP from the outgoing C6 flagship. GM could have done more.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I think the Z06 will be mean as hell... no doubt.

But I'm not sure why the Z06 is being looked at as "amazing power numbers" when race shops around the country now make +/- 3,000 HP engines on a regular basis.

soo...
I think there will be a next level vette (ZR1 or whatever) and it will be 1,001 HP. It will be fixed roof and have no cargo area. That area will instead be used by components they had to relocate to make more room in the engine bay. (and no one will care)
Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

2016 GTR
It's clear that you're a magazine racer, but did you actually read that article you linked?
Here's a hint: look at the date.

Holy crap...
S.

Get notified of new replies

To 650?!? try 3,000 HP

Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

kudos Snorman... you caught that...
glad someone was paying attention!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Lmao. Old gear heads? I feel old but I don't think 26 is real old Lol. How many production cars are 1,000+HP? And how much do they cost? What's their warranty? And cost of upkeep and maintenance?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

And how reliable are those late night parking lot cars?

Quick Reply: 650?!? try 3,000 HP