C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Chrome vs. black wheels on a white Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Chrome has gone away with the dinosaurs.
I agree. IMO Chrome looks terrible on wheels.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM
shiv.nandak
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I agree. IMO Chrome looks terrible on wheels.
LOL sorry to revive this incredibly old thread. I didn't see the time stamp until it was too late.

Last edited by shiv.nandak; 04-26-2017 at 09:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svtkeith (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Hahabye
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to be a chrome fan but have changed my mind over the years. I prefer black now but to each their own!
The Yav (04-28-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska SS
Well, I guess I'm screwed if black is here to stay. I just built it on the Chevy web site with both black and chrome wheels. I'm going chrome. Just damn sexy in my opinion. I know I'll catch hell for it here from some but I guess that's why they have four wheels to choose from...everyone has an opinion. LOL

This will be my daily driver and my current Z will be the fast car. Plus, in the desert with all the dust I'm afraid the black will scratch every time I wipe them off.

Now I just need my dealer to get his allocation call so we can submit the order. He was in town last night and we talked extensively about what is in store with this car from GM. Pretty impressive.
Chrome, for the win!

Yep.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 10WhiteGS
I'll be getting chrome rims on a white Z06. My c6 grand sport with chrome was a real head turner. I got a lot of complements just on the wheels alone. For me "Winter rims" just don't have much appeal.

Love it... "winter rims." Agreed! Blk wheels are a fad (for the look, follow me, I'm like everybody else), and chrome is timeless. I don't buy chrome wheels for any stupid bling effect!! I like chrome because it provides better contrast, unlike black or grey wheels. My 2018 white Z06 will have chrome wheels as well. If you don't like chrome wheels then don't get them... and, spare those of us that do all the negative BS comments.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
Black wheels are hot now, I think black chrome will be the next hot wheels.
I ordered my Z06 with black wheels and will eventually find a set of Black Chrome wheels
Agreed. I think black chrome will be the next trend.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Chrome has gone away with the dinosaurs.
...says the guy with a C6 avatar.

Reports of the death of chrome are greatly exaggerated. Somehow a wide percentage of buyers, young AND old, still buy it. There's a noisy group of people with painted wheels that feel the need to voice their opinion on chrome every time it comes up, kind of like some M7 guys.

Either works fine, pick what you like, you'll be angering 50% of the people either way!

Levis, Rolex, V-Neck Shirts, Chrome wheels. Other things come and go, but these never leave. Black rims and a pie-plate watch will be cool for a while though.

Black wheels seem to me to be tied to the whole Von Dutch, too-many-skeletons-on-your-shirt look. But I might be conflating those unfairly.

A lot of us have spare wheels for drag racing - if you pick up fronts too, then you could have both chrome and black for the win!

Last edited by davepl; 04-27-2017 at 01:17 PM.
The Yav (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:31 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Runnn
Love it... "winter rims." Agreed! Blk wheels are a fad (for the look, follow me, I'm like everybody else), and chrome is timeless. I don't buy chrome wheels for any stupid bling effect!! I like chrome because it provides better contrast, unlike black or grey wheels. My 2018 white Z06 will have chrome wheels as well. If you don't like chrome wheels then don't get them... and, spare those of us that do all the negative BS comments.

Interesting hypocrisy here.

Never understood all the ridiculous comments concerning rims; no different than the color choices.

Embrace diversity instead of sounding like a bunch of grumpy old men.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Interesting hypocrisy here.
Pardon him, he couldn't help himself when making his point.

Never understood all the ridiculous comments concerning rims; no different than the color choices.

Embrace diversity instead of sounding like a bunch of grumpy old men.
Since I've had chrome rims, black rims, gunmetal and silver, obviously I'm not biased.

For me, it depends on the color of the car.

But certainly, like gurney said, this is such a personal choice, it's like arguing over the choice of color or the choice of transmission....it's all personal preference. We should all simply be happy that we have choices.
gurneyeagle (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:04 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've been a chrome wheel guy most of my 68+ years. Before I ordered my Z06, I looked at cars with chrome and black wheels side-by-side and decided on black. When my wife saw the black wheels she said they looked "bad ***." Works for me.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Maybe someone wants to see what 18" chrome rears look like.

Those are 18"X12" rims & drag radials on the back. The O.D. of the rear MT tires are the same as the 20" OEMs.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-27-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:55 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I think variety being the spice of life holds true here.

I've seen so many corvettes at Carlisle in so many configurations that she I'm glad we have choice from the factory what a boring car if we didn't have these options.

Ps I think that the pearl silver, gunmetal, hyper silver, black chrome, etc colors, took place of chrome as a variant for those moving on from tradition but not fans of the black wheel look.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Ps I think that the pearl silver, gunmetal, hyper silver, black chrome, etc colors, took place of chrome as a variant for those moving on from tradition but not fans of the black wheel look.
And yet on paper, based on production stats, they didn't actually take their place.... Chrome is still popular. So far as I can tell you really have:

Chrome (Predominantly American)
Painted Silver (European)
Flavor of the Week

Into this third category I put painted, pearl, gunmetal, black chrome, and all of the other stuff that won't be around in 20 years.

Chrome might not either, due to the environmental aspects, but it's never gone out of style entirely, though it's popularity waxes and wanes depending on other current trends at the time.

Last edited by davepl; 04-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM
WHTC7Z
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska SS
Has anyone seen the chrome wheels on a white Z06 yet. Just curious how they look. The white ZR1 with chrome wheels was/is one of my favorite combos but I haven't seen any pictures of the chrome wheels on any car yet. The black wheels look killer on the white but I'd really like to see the chrome before I make the final decision. Thanks.

Mine just came in, looks great
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by WHTC7Z:
gurneyeagle (04-27-2017), The Yav (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 AM
Bbacon
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
You will never ever see a chrome wheel on a Ferrari, Lambo, etc etc. Chevrolet is trying hard to get rid of this bling mindset by charging 2K for the chrome option over the standard silver. Silver is the way to go if you want some form of bling. Chrome definitely not !!!!
Thank god. Someone else with good taste. Chrome wheels, vanity plates like " my z06", and chain link license plate frames are the reason I stayed with euro cars for so long.
ptran00 (02-01-2018)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

To me it's a matter of personal preference. I've always preferred chrome wheels in the past, but went with black on my Laguna Blue convertible.

My experience bringing it home was similar to DevilDog II's. The first thing my wife said when she saw the car was "I love the wheels". It was the only time in over thirty years she has said anything about the wheels on my car. I guess I made a good choice.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

GM should just eliminate chrome as an available finish on Corvette wheels. Chrome wheels on a new Corvette just telegraphs the geezer with gold chains image that needs to go away immediately. The satin jacket crowd can just deal with changes as the rest of us do on a daily basis.
ptran00 (02-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome vs. black wheels on a white Z06

Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I like wheels in chrome or black depending on the color of the car. For me, if the car is all white, I would select chrome wheels. If the car had various black accents, I would probably go with black wheels. I like black wheels on mine because the car is blue/black and chrome would look out-of-place to me on my specific color combo. If the car was all blue with no black contrasts, I think chrome would look better. Oh well, they are all good. I have all three as the car has black, the SUV has silver, and the truck has chrome...
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Chrome has always been classy.
Attached Images  
svtkeith (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:35 PM
flyz06@
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrome is only for classics. If it comes with chrome then go with chrome.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs. black wheels on a white Z06