C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette at Nurburgring NOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:56 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

At about 1:00 into the video it definitely looked like they were testing that trans downshift ,brakes or both because that tire chirp entering the corner was really unnecessary and weird..Anyone ever seen something like that before?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
If there was a weak suspension part I doubt they would have continued running the blue car around the Ring and they would be delaying production of all Z06s.
Don;t know about delaying production, as it is GM, but you're right on continuing to run the blue car. Who knows. We're also still waiting for a Z51 ring time, which I definitely find odd.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dio55
At about 1:00 into the video it definitely looked like they were testing that trans downshift ,brakes or both because that tire chirp entering the corner was really unnecessary and weird..Anyone ever seen something like that before?
I just looked at the video - IMO there is definitely a problem with how the car is running. At :06, the suspension gets upset and the car wanders too far over to the right - definitely the wrong line for that corner given the downhill offcamber turn coming next. And generally, the car does not seem to be in the right gear, or anywhere near as fast as it should be. Then there is the wierd chirp you mention around 1:04, followed by - again - the wrong gear. Looking at this, I see a car that is very unsettled despite the stiff suspension, and a transmission that is not doing what it should be in auto track mode.

I suspect that the power of the car, the weight of the car, and the track surface challenges at the 'Ring make for one hell of a tough time getting suspension settings dialed in - especially on a street suspension that has minimal spring adjustability.

And the auto race logic in the gearbox is no less of a challenge - and will be quite a feat when they nail it.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I just looked at the video - IMO there is definitely a problem with how the car is running. At :06, the suspension gets upset and the car wanders too far over to the right - definitely the wrong line for that corner given the downhill offcamber turn coming next. And generally, the car does not seem to be in the right gear, or anywhere near as fast as it should be. Then there is the wierd chirp you mention around 1:04, followed by - again - the wrong gear. Looking at this, I see a car that is very unsettled despite the stiff suspension, and a transmission that is not doing what it should be in auto track mode.
I noticed this too.

I suspect that the power of the car, the weight of the car, and the track surface challenges at the 'Ring make for one hell of a tough time getting suspension settings dialed in - especially on a street suspension that has minimal spring adjustability.
The Ring is a massive test for a sports car (which is why so many manufacturers go there).
The track surface is old and patched nearly everywhere, with bumps and dips all around the thing.
If you can survive there, you can survive anywhere....
Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Nürburgring Video: Could this be the 8-Speed Z06?

It looks like another 2015 Corvette Z06 has been spotted testing on the Nürburgring, but there's a little something different from the sound of it.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

It looks like another 2015 Corvette Z06 has been spotted testing on the Nürburgring, but there's a little something different from the sound of it.

Sounds like the A8 to me and at 1:10 in the video it sounds like he is in the wrong gear if manually shifting the auto....loses a lot of RPM's.
Or maybe he was just getting out of it?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the new 8 speed auto is better than all other autos and will be used for people to drag race. Maybe it's asking a lot but I hope it can handle a thousand horsepower from the factory
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 391 Posts

Since the door is open for discussion, and based solely on my own humble opinion. observations, and experience, and, of course, without benefit of the tons of data GM has, I will offer an opinion on what I think is a solvable handling issue. Looking at the videos of both the yellow and blue Z06s on track, two things that would bother me are the high roll angle (probably close to 2 degrees) and the heavy splitter contact. The roll angle appears to be much higher than I would like in a "high travel" suspension and could contribute to unloading the outside front tire, especially in a chicane (consecutive turns reversing direction). If you look at the stills of the yellow car and then look at a full course video (like the Z28 run), you will see that the "crash" occurred in a 70 mph (or so) right turn coming off a decelerating left turn. IF (and I emphasis the word if since I am entering my theory realm), the roll stiffness was too low and the right front became "unloaded" to any degree, then the car would push (tight) and you would probably hit the outside wall (in a slide) with the front of the car -- exactly what happened. If the issue was too much throttle (torque), the rear would probably come around to the left (throttle loose) and you would probably back into the wall. If I were trying to fix my own car, the first thing I would do would be to increase roll stiffness -- i.e., bigger sway bars. I might also want to look at overall spring rate, especially if the aero is really effective and is driving the car to the ground and causing heavy splitter impact (on a race car, I might fix that with bump stops, but not practical on a street car). Anyway, please take my guess for what it is -- a humble opinion and not a declaration of fact.

Pappy
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for the book pappy
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

At any rate there is moisture around judging by the windshield wiping! The end of June has been the standard!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLS2
thank you for the book pappy

Pappy sent you a book. . . ?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by mfain
Since the door is open for discussion, and based solely on my own humble opinion. observations, and experience, and, of course, without benefit of the tons of data GM has, I will offer an opinion on what I think is a solvable handling issue. Looking at the videos of both the yellow and blue Z06s on track, two things that would bother me are the high roll angle (probably close to 2 degrees) and the heavy splitter contact. The roll angle appears to be much higher than I would like in a "high travel" suspension and could contribute to unloading the outside front tire, especially in a chicane (consecutive turns reversing direction). If you look at the stills of the yellow car and then look at a full course video (like the Z28 run), you will see that the "crash" occurred in a 70 mph (or so) right turn coming off a decelerating left turn. IF (and I emphasis the word if since I am entering my theory realm), the roll stiffness was too low and the right front became "unloaded" to any degree, then the car would push (tight) and you would probably hit the outside wall (in a slide) with the front of the car -- exactly what happened. If the issue was too much throttle (torque), the rear would probably come around to the left (throttle loose) and you would probably back into the wall. If I were trying to fix my own car, the first thing I would do would be to increase roll stiffness -- i.e., bigger sway bars. I might also want to look at overall spring rate, especially if the aero is really effective and is driving the car to the ground and causing heavy splitter impact (on a race car, I might fix that with bump stops, but not practical on a street car). Anyway, please take my guess for what it is -- a humble opinion and not a declaration of fact.

Pappy
Thanks for your analysis but it was starting to rain at that corner when he crashed. Probably had absolutely nothing to do with their suspension settings. I'm sure they had it set up to a optimum configuration. They know what the settings should be for that place. I posted a link of Dale Lomas's Facebook page on page 6 of this thread, post #108 where Lomas said it was starting to rain at the Hatzenbach location when he came through.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:14 PM
mfain
Drifting

Originally Posted by skank
Thanks for your analysis but it was starting to rain at that corner when he crashed. Probably had absolutely nothing to do with their suspension settings. I'm sure they had it set up to a optimum configuration. They know what the settings should be for that place. I posted a link of Dale Lomas's Facebook page on page 6 of this thread, post #108 where Lomas said it was starting to rain at the Hatzenbach location when he came through.
Hey Skank. Rain would definitely affect things with Pilot Sports (I run them on my C6Z/Z07 and they don't like wet). Watch the last half of the Z28 run on Corsas in the rain -- plenty scary at 150+ mph, but he held onto it. BTW, sway bar rates are not a "setting" - the bars have to be replaced to change the rate and I would assume the cars at the Ring would have the current production bars. My point was that I think the cars are exhibiting too high a roll angle for the apparent high travel suspension and the cars are bottoming too hard on the outside corner of the splitter, partially because of the excessive roll. Whether or not that had anything to do with the crash would be speculation without the real data. I'll bet the Ring car has travel sensors and a fairly robust data logger. In any case, GM will sort it out.

Cheers

Pappy
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM
mfj427
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Man that car sounds mean / awesome!

I'll tell yeah, it does my heart good to hear that American car roaring in that foreign land!

Good job America!!!!

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

You're half right. If you've never driven the Nurburgring, you can't come to conclusions on a complete suspension setup based on 1 turn from some video. The turn in the video is the little Karussell.

The line exiting through little Karusell will determine the the composure of the car as it exits. A foot or 2 makes a huge difference. The simple answer here is in the blue car Mero exited too soon thus upsetting the car.

Look at this video at :38 and compare it to :06 of the video above.

The yellow car exits fine, and the blue car steps to the right. So you're correct about the line.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

From the Bridge to Gantry website on the 28th of Oct:
Nürburgring Bridge To Gantry
October 28
I just got passed by a Michigan-plated 2015 Corvette Z07 prototype on my way to the office. I wonder what they're still doing here? Lap record attempt before winter? Or just enjoying the Eifel roads?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

From the Bridge to Gantry website on the 28th of Oct:
Nürburgring Bridge To Gantry
October 28
I just got passed by a Michigan-plated 2015 Corvette Z07 prototype on my way to the office. I wonder what they're still doing here? Lap record attempt before winter? Or just enjoying the Eifel roads?
This sounds to me what I had been thinking all along, The yellow Z07 is not the only one there.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette at Nurburgring NOW

Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by vette friend
The line exiting through little Karusell will determine the the composure of the car as it exits. A foot or 2 makes a huge difference. The simple answer here is in the blue car Mero exited too soon thus upsetting the car.
Thank you for the analysis and pics.
That is one vicious bit of pavement and would unsettle ANY car if it isn't done right.

Lap record attempt before winter? Or just enjoying the Eifel roads?
I'm just guessing here....but I would say the former.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM
mfain
Drifting

[

[/QUOTE]

The left rear is unloaded too much. I still think the front sway bar is too small (not enough roll resistance) and the rear bar may or may not be too large. Again, only my opinion, which the photos reinforce. Some of you will know what I am talking about.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got news for you guys.. the carousel at the 'ring is all about entry. If you do not enter correctly, the exit is fouled.

LOL on the armchair race car chassis analysis. The driver of the blue car did not exit properly. Suspension data analysis or not, there are better turns there to achieve those conclusions.

Quick Reply: Corvette at Nurburgring NOW