C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?
Yes: Speed is King!
45.09%
No: I'll Row My Own!
54.91%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
John C.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?

Just posted this on the Blog.

With the new 8-speed Hydra-Matic 8L90, the Z06 will shoot from zero to 60 in a blistering 2.95 seconds. And while it's not the kind of fancy dual-clutch system you'll find in Porsche's 911, GM has stated—and Motor Authority independently confirmed—it can shift faster than the Stuttgart's pride and joy. Three-pedal versions still manage the sprint in a very respectable 3.2 seconds.

Now, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the stick is slightly slower—but here's my question: Does that quarter second matter enough for you to opt for the automatic? Personally, it wouldn't change my mind. I don't think you adopt a kitten if you want to play fetch, and I don't think you buy a Z06 to go to the drag strip. But I'm curious to know if these numbers have swayed anyone...
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

How much hp will the auto take n can they be built to suit 1000whp?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I enjoy driving the 7-spd manual on my C7 Stingray... so 7-spd manual again on the Z06. I like it that way.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I don't put bread on my table doing 0-60.

I do enjoy the full experience of driving well, a stout stick-shift machine.

That said, I think the Z will benefit from the performance numbers of the A8, which should be better than M7 - if for no other reason than marketing. Which is a good thing. Plus the A8 will draw many more customers into the car who desire the auto, and who will enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Matters not at all to me. Other factors determine the choice. I'm now driving the M7 Stingray interim to the Z06 and, while the manual is (usually) a satisfying way to drive, I will opt for automatic on the Z06 for convenience rather than performance.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:35 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

CaryBob I'm struggling with the choice. I had a knee injury that will cause me to have a total knee replacement in the future and originally had decided on the a8 for that reason alone. I've never owned a vette with an auto but I autocrossed several when I was still autocrossing a lot. I didn't like the auto as well then but it's been 25 years since I've autocrossed and I know the a8 is not the same slush box that i drove back then. What is your main reason for the a8? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:44 PM
John C.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
CaryBob I'm struggling with the choice. I had a knee injury that will cause me to have a total knee replacement in the future and originally had decided on the a8 for that reason alone.
This is why it's good that GM decided to offer the auto on the Z06!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Yeah but I've always had a manual and i'm not sure i'll like the auto, especially if I decide to autocross. I'm buying it to have fun with it and even though the a8 will be quicker I have doubts that it will be the most fun to drive. My doc said that the clutch would be good for my knee, probably, and if not I need to get it fixed. Don't want to do that either. lol
Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by John C.
This is why it's good that GM decided to offer the auto on the Z06!
100%....let's not forget about the members that do not have a choice in this matter. I don't believe the choice would affect the members. Most of them already have their minds made up.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

paddle shift 8 speed auto with rev matching is faster and the way all super cars are going.My zr1 is obviously manual but if i ever trade for a c7 z 06 it will be an 8 speed auto.No brainer in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't put bread on my table doing 0-60.

I do enjoy the full experience of driving well, a stout stick-shift machine.

That said, I think the Z will benefit from the performance numbers of the A8, which should be better than M7 - if for no other reason than marketing. Which is a good thing. Plus the A8 will draw many more customers into the car who desire the auto, and who will enjoy the heck out of it.
Exactly what he said.

Manual for life, unless crippled.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My wife can but doesn't like to drive the standard trans. She does enjoy an occasional drag race. This gives me two bullets to reason with for "THE" discussion.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Matters not at all to me. Other factors determine the choice. I'm now driving the M7 Stingray interim to the Z06 and, while the manual is (usually) a satisfying way to drive, I will opt for automatic on the Z06 for convenience rather than performance.
I'm the same way. My wife refuses to drive my 2013 6 speed. I'll buy an auto as well. Sometimes it's necessary for her to drive! Besides, I totally suck at the 6 speed.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

i'm really on the fence. My dealer has one allocation at his store and one at another so if I get the call before the a8 is available i'll get the m7 and never look back. if not i'm going to try and find a stingray with the a8 and give it a test drive to see what i think.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
paddle shift 8 speed auto with rev matching is faster and the way all super cars are going.My zr1 is obviously manual but if i ever trade for a c7 z 06 it will be an 8 speed auto.No brainer in my opinion.
No, it's not. I know of no other super cars that use a torque converter auto. They are all DCT's or some form thereof.

IMO the only reason someone should get a Z06 in automatic is they have bad leg's/knees, are 80 years old or for some reason plan to drive their cars a lot in stop and go traffic.

Otherwise it's just laziness.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 AM
thelongwait
Advanced

On the fence still myself , I keep an eye on the c7 forum for feedback on the auto. I worry i might get bored with the auto....depends on how "smart" it is. It sounds encouraging though...tough choice! Glad we have that choice .
Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
No, it's not. I know of no other super cars that use a torque converter auto. They are all DCT's or some form thereof.
Of all the current ones, true.
But I believe the original Mercedes McLaren SLR was a torque convertered automatic, wasn't it?
And the old Vector W2s were as well (but that was long before any of the current technology even existed).
The Ferrari 400A, 412A and 456GTA (Ferrari V12s of course, but not really super cars though).

Get notified of new replies

To Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
CaryBob I'm struggling with the choice. I had a knee injury that will cause me to have a total knee replacement in the future and originally had decided on the a8 for that reason alone. I've never owned a vette with an auto but I autocrossed several when I was still autocrossing a lot. I didn't like the auto as well then but it's been 25 years since I've autocrossed and I know the a8 is not the same slush box that i drove back then. What is your main reason for the a8? Thanks for your help.
The main reason is I'm in my 70s and worried about how long I will comfortably be able to use my left knee. Stuff happens as you age. So I'm anticipating that the A8 will give me more years to enjoy the car. The secondary reason is the convenience of an auto. The M7 can be loads of fun but as a daily driver in heavy traffic the fun disappears. The A6 in my Grand Sport was a nice compromise in that I could paddle shift and get something that approximated a manual when I wanted or needed to choose gears myself. And the shifts in the 2012/13 cars were as Fast or faster than I could make myself with a clutch. I expect the A8 to be at least that competent.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thanks CaryBob, i'm in my mid 50's but worried about my left knee as well. My wife told me last night that she wasn't going to drive it either way. lol. I guess the auto makes more sense for me as well unless my dealer gets his allocation first. I'm going to try to drive something with a paddle shift in the next week so hopefully i'll have a better idea.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't care how much faster the auto is I'll have the manual.

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual: Will the Z06 Performance Figures Affect Your Choice?