C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 Downforce #'s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Z07 Downforce #'s?

Anyone have an educated guess on what the Z07 package will provide as far as downforce numbers? For example last gen viper acr produced 1000 pounds of downforce at 150 mph. While I don't expect the Z07 package to produce numbers that high im curious as to how aggressive Gm went.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

All we know is that some time ago Tadge Juechtner said the Z07 aero produced "the most downforce of any production car GM has ever tested." We presume that to mean that GM has tested a variety of non-GM cars with lower numbers. But specific numbers, no word yet.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by CaryBob
All we know is that some time ago Tadge Juechtner said the Z07 aero produced "the most downforce of any production car GM has ever tested." We presume that to mean that GM has tested a variety of non-GM cars with lower numbers. But specific numbers, no word yet.
That could mean it has more downforce than that Chrysler K-Car they tested.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by yenko boy
Anyone have an educated guess on what the Z07 package will provide as far as downforce numbers? For example last gen viper acr produced 1000 pounds of downforce at 150 mph. While I don't expect the Z07 package to produce numbers that high im curious as to how aggressive Gm went.
I recently viewed a video on another thread where the reporter asked Tadge Juechter about how much downforce. Tadge stated that no one can directly measure downforce. He said it is an exercise of trading off the coefficient of drag (I believe 0.35-0.37 for Z06 w/ Z07 package) with speed and other performance measures.

I searched for the video and couldn't find it again. I believe it's buried in one of the threads where members are debating the merits and performance of the C6Z06/C6ZR1/C7Z06/C7Z06 w/Z07 package.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by arturox2
I recently viewed a video on another thread where the reporter asked Tadge Juechter about how much downforce. Tadge stated that no one can directly measure downforce. He said it is an exercise of trading off the coefficient of drag (I believe 0.35-0.37 for Z06 w/ Z07 package) with speed and other performance measures.

I searched for the video and couldn't find it again. I believe it's buried in one of the threads where members are debating the merits and performance of the C6Z06/C6ZR1/C7Z06/C7Z06 w/Z07 package.
I believe this is the video you're talking about. Tadge has quite a sense of humor (listen to his comments about Jim Mero).
Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, thank you for finding it. Downforce discussions at 0:40 and 13:07.

Last edited by arturox2; 10-16-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, thank you for finding it. Downforce discussions at 0:40 and 13:07.
You're welcome!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=arturox2;1588059396]... Tadge stated that no one can directly measure downforce.... QUOTE]

Someone educate me.

Why can't the car be stuffed in a wind tunnel and the down force measured directly? Add or remove an aero bit and the change in down force is attributed to that bit on that given configuration. What am I missing here?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I believe this is the video you're talking about. Tadge has quite a sense of humor (listen to his comments about Jim Mero).
Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter Answers Our Questions about 2015 Corvette Z06 - YouTube
Tadge is such a good dude. I dunno, I just get that impression. I guess that's why I trust what he says.

It's interesting to note the A8 was benchmarked at a myriad of "shift events" against the DCT's, taking into account paddle pull time as well. Who knows, maybe in performance modes it will prove to be a real winner.

"Vastly superior" downforce compared to ZR-1 is extremely impressive at similar Cd's. Sure hope they get to lap the Ring in anger, because I feel like GM deserves some bragging rights for this amazing vehicle.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
"Vastly superior" downforce compared to ZR-1 is extremely impressive at similar Cd's.
Not really. The ZR1 produces lift front and rear, not downforce. I am guessing the C6 Z06 does as well.
S.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

[QUOTE=LT1xL82;1588060197]
... Tadge stated that no one can directly measure downforce.... QUOTE]

Someone educate me.

Why can't the car be stuffed in a wind tunnel and the down force measured directly? Add or remove an aero bit and the change in down force is attributed to that bit on that given configuration. What am I missing here?
Sure, Downforce can be measured. I don't know why this was stated.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=arcticblast;1588061428]
Originally Posted by LT1xL82

Sure, Downforce can be measured. I don't know why this was stated.
GM made public the downforce in the Camaro Z28, Z06 should be higher than that.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM
helip1lot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Not really. The ZR1 produces lift front and rear, not downforce. I am guessing the C6 Z06 does as well.
S.
Semantics.... any lift produced that acts with gravity is known in the car world as 'downforce'. But I get your point.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
... Tadge stated that no one can directly measure downforce....
Someone educate me.

In the context of the video where he says they can't directly measure it, they are talking about Jim Mero being out on the track. I think his comment, in this context, means that during track testing, they cannot actively measure downforce, but they can infer it based on data on what the suspension and car is doing.

In the wind tunnel it can definitely be tested, his comment was in context of track testing hot laps, since they were talking about adjusting the down force accessories to get it to Jim's satisfaction. In a wind tunnel all forces being applied to the body are known and controlled, allowing forces due to aerodynamic effects to be singled out and quantified; On the track there are a ton of additional variables preventing a flat out measurement of force being applied only by aerodynamic effects.

Last edited by CPhelps; 10-17-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
I agree. And lift is lift, gravity notwithstanding (for the other chap, not you sman).

You can feel it. Run a C6 Z or ZR over 170 mph, which I've done dozens of times in standing mile events, you'll feel them get lighter. Z more so than the ZR as the front splitter on ZR helps it (it feels more stable in the 180s mph than the Z feels in the 170s).

If the effect of the aero on the new Z can be felt below 150 - which I'm hoping it can, and can be felt well below that, it will be a nice benefit to the car on road courses (and outside of top speed or standing mile runs where it may slow it a bit up top).
Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by helip1lot
Semantics.... any lift produced that acts with gravity is known in the car world as 'downforce'. But I get your point.
To-may-toes, to-mah-toes.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=827884

The ZR1 generates "lift", not a downward force or thrust augmenting mechanical grip to enhance cornering
S.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
In the context of the video where he says they can't directly measure it, they are talking about Jim Mero being out on the track. I think his comment, in this context, means that during track testing, they cannot actively measure downforce, but they can infer it based on data on what the suspension and car is doing.

In the wind tunnel it can definitely be tested, his comment was in context of track testing hot laps, since they were talking about adjusting the down force accessories to get it to Jim's satisfaction. In a wind tunnel all forces being applied to the body are known and controlled, allowing forces due to aerodynamic effects to be singled out and quantified; On the track there are a ton of additional variables preventing a flat out measurement of force being applied only by aerodynamic effects.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 Downforce #'s?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree. And lift is lift, gravity notwithstanding (for the other chap, not you sman).

You can feel it. Run a C6 Z or ZR over 170 mph, which I've done dozens of times in standing mile events, you'll feel them get lighter. Z more so than the ZR as the front splitter on ZR helps it (it feels more stable in the 180s mph than the Z feels in the 170s).

If the effect of the aero on the new Z can be felt below 150 - which I'm hoping it can, and can be felt well below that, it will be a nice benefit to the car on road courses (and outside of top speed or standing mile runs where it may slow it a bit up top).
I've gotten my base model C6 up to 160mph (indicated) and it was nothing that I would call confident lol. Now I'm saying the car was trying to take off.. but stability was definitely a concern. Needless to say I backed off sooner than later. And this is coming from guy who races literbikes on tracks and has pushed my R1 to the rev limiter in 6th gear (186mph indicated) several times.

In Crabby's "ZR1 is still faster thread".. I pointed out that at just 124mph.. the C6ZR1 is creating 120lbs of lift combined front & rear. You can imagine how much lift a C6ZR1 is creating at 180mph. At those speeds one can only hope you have the car pointed in a straight direction and that road infront of you is completely clear of all danger.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I've gotten my base model C6 up to 160mph (indicated) and it was nothing that I would call confident lol. Now I'm saying the car was trying to take off.. but stability was definitely a concern. Needless to say I backed off sooner than later. And this is coming from guy who races literbikes on tracks and has pushed my R1 to the rev limiter in 6th gear (186mph indicated) several times.

In Crabby's "ZR1 is still faster thread".. I pointed out that at just 124mph.. the C6ZR1 is creating 120lbs of lift combined front & rear. You can imagine how much lift a C6ZR1 is creating at 180mph. At those speeds one can only hope you have the car pointed in a straight direction and that road infront of you is completely clear of all danger.
No, it just feel that way.. i will see if i can find the video where i play with an R bike on Autobahn. We have north of 190 in a left hander and i could not see where he went, he was gone from my mirrors so i thought he went off..... then he suddenly appears in my driver side mirror 3 feet behind my bumper, he was slip streaming me at 190 in a left turn
As soon as he left my slip stream he fell behind over the next few miles... gotta love Autobahn and the discipline drivers have... Wouldn't dream on doing this in the US

Cant wait and see what real downforce will do.... but based on orders coming in on the Z06, it might be a 2016 car for me
Old 10-18-2014, 12:31 AM
gillette vette guy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default downforce

Originally Posted by OnPoint

I drove my 2006 vert on a 2 lane highway at 163 documented with my GoPro and I didn't feel any lift. There was no wind and I was filmed driving with one hand and turning off the AC so I could go faster. Not saying I wasn't lifting somewhat, but I thought the car drove good.
I expect that the Z will drive much better than that. I also saw Justin Bell test driving a ZR1 on the Autobahn at 200 mph and they talked about how great the car drove. If the new Z is better, it is going to be fabulous. I enjoy the forum and reading everyone's comments.

Bill

Quick Reply: Z07 Downforce #'s?