C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video proof of A8 shift delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video proof of A8 shift delay

Same delay I experienced on my test drive, skip to 8:45 into the video to see the delay

I'll be ordering the M7 Z06

Last edited by GrinderZ06; 10-22-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:04 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wow

Originally Posted by Steve@HPE
Same delay I experienced on my test drive, skip to 8:45 into the video to see the delay Review: 2015 Corvette Stingray w/ 8-Speed Automatic - YouTube

I'll be ordering the M7 Z06
What a lame reviewer!
Sounds as if this is his first car...

As far as shift delay, are we sure the Stingray A8 has the same calibration and feel as the Z06 A8?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PushNut
What a lame reviewer!
Sounds as if this is his first car...

As far as shift delay, are we sure the Stingray A8 has the same calibration and feel as the Z06 A8?
Also, we do not know what mode he was driving in. I recently drove a Z51 A8 in touring, sport and track mode. As I have said in the past on this forum, in Track mode the A8 paddle shifts were equal to or better than my GTR in terms of time from contact with paddle until shift completion. I suspect the Z06 A8 will be at least that good, if not better.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
Also, we do not know what mode he was driving in. I recently drove a Z51 A8 in touring, sport and track mode. As I have said in the past on this forum, in Track mode the A8 paddle shifts were equal to or better than my GTR in terms of time from contact with paddle until shift completion. I suspect the Z06 A8 will be at least that good, if not better.
Any lag I see from paddle pull to actual shift looks like it could be quickened with tuning anyway. Actual trans is shifting really quickly though. Nice.

Betting Z06 has sharper paddle response since it is a more focused car than the base.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:18 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This makes no sense. What mode you are in should have no effect on the speed of the transmission in manual mode. When you are in manual mode, you as the driver decide when the gears should change. I am not saying you are wrong, but if you are right, this is a ridiculous implementation on GM's part. If I want soft and comfortable shifts, I'll put it in full auto in the first place, but if I'm in manual, I want those shifts to happen as quickly as I dictate, regardless of the mode.

Also, you can hear from the video that the flaps are open and he has NPP option in the car. That to me indicates that he was at least in sport mode and those shifts were slow, terribly and unacceptably slow for a sport mode. If Z06 is like this, I don't see how anyone with track focus will get this transmission.

If you are a waxer (I never heard this term until I joined this forum btw, but its a great term!), thats perfectly fine. But track is something else.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

As expected. I am still glad I am getting an M7.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

He mentioned that he was in Sport mode. You can also tell by the exhaust sound.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That lag won't bother me. I buy an automatic because I most times I don't want to shift gears myself, so the paddle shift lag is not a big deal. I love that the automatic has the paddle shift option, I use it when I'm autocrossing - but that means shifting from 1st to 2nd and keeping it in 2nd for the entire course, so this will be more than adequate for my needs. I live in a very populated area where traffic is a constant issue, I can do without the clutch. I didn't use the paddle shift on my C6 outside the autocross course, and I probably won't use it on the Z06 any differently. Thanks for posting the video, it puts my mind at ease.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

As I have said in the past on this forum, in Track mode the A8 paddle shifts were equal to or better than my GTR in terms of time from contact with paddle until shift completion. I suspect the Z06 A8 will be at least that good, if not better.
A torque-converter automatic just can't shift as quick as a DCT. I also own a GTR (2015), and remember they come with a rather relaxed setting or 0,0,0,0 on both touch-points and clutch-capacity. And at higher rpm, even at those settings, it shifts very quickly. Yeah, that car and tranny is not sophisticated anymore, since the German DCT Getrags have modes to change the CC and TPs, not having to go to a freaking dealer for that. But a torque-converter just doesn't belong on a Z06 IMO. At least GM should have done what MB did, and put wet clutches on their planetary-gear tranny, rather than a torque-converter. But we'll have to wait for an actual test and comparo to really know the difference.

And yes, with the Z06, Nissan will lose a lot of sales of the aging GTR for sure. I don't like cars on its first year, but I paid more for the GTR than a fully-optioned Z06 (including CCM brakes), and that makes the Z06 the bargain of the century . Hope I don't lose too much when I trade it in for an M7 in a year or two, once sorted.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
As expected. I am still glad I am getting an M7.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is this a joke!

This was an awful reviewer! I don't think he has the ability to shift and chew gum let alone shift and talk. Order what you want and I will order my A8.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought paddle shifters were slower than letting the tranny operate in automatic mode?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:16 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, that delay is HORRIBLE!!

I guess if you never use the paddles then it really doesn't matter. it's still faster than a M7.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

ONLY DELAY I'M CONCERNED WITH IS THE PRODUCTION DELAY!!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Was this the first car he has ever driven? worst review ever, Fire that guy.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:52 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, the reviewer comes off like an irritating donkey. The slow time from paddle activation to shift occurence is what many on here have described when cruising around at low power. That said, the same people have said in track mode or when the tranny discerns one is really getting on it, the shifts quicken dramatically in the other modes. Beginning to look like GM may well have an out of the park winner in the A8. Just look at the list of people waiting for the A8 Z06. Mike Furman ( salesman at Criswell, a big forum dealer), says 85 percent of his customers are ordering A8's on the Z06. Those of us getting A8's will be thinking of the old school M7 crowd as they build up the muscles in their left leg as we just click the paddles to get the job done faster and easier. Something for everybody to enjoy.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
This makes no sense. What mode you are in should have no effect on the speed of the transmission in manual mode. When you are in manual mode, you as the driver decide when the gears should change. I am not saying you are wrong, but if you are right, this is a ridiculous implementation on GM's part. If I want soft and comfortable shifts, I'll put it in full auto in the first place, but if I'm in manual, I want those shifts to happen as quickly as I dictate, regardless of the mode.

Also, you can hear from the video that the flaps are open and he has NPP option in the car. That to me indicates that he was at least in sport mode and those shifts were slow, terribly and unacceptably slow for a sport mode. If Z06 is like this, I don't see how anyone with track focus will get this transmission.

If you are a waxer (I never heard this term until I joined this forum btw, but its a great term!), thats perfectly fine. But track is something else.
Sorry, but this incorrect. DCT shift speeds (in sports cars) are DIRECTLY tied to mode control (Tour/Sport/Race/etc). Drive a Ferrari 458 in "Tour" mode verses "Race" (I have), using the paddles. The shifts in "Race" mode are noticeably faster (and more violent) than in "Tour". Just as mode control sets traction control intervention levels, steering weight, etc.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-22-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Video proof of A8 shift delay

Old 10-22-2014, 05:07 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

No surprise. Reason #3789 why automatic transmissions SUCK.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Sorry, but this incorrect. DCT shift speeds (in sports cars) are DIRECTLY tied to mode control (Tour/Sport/Race/etc). Drive a Ferrari 458 in "Tour" mode verses "Race" (I have), using the paddles. The shifts in "Race" mode are noticeably faster (and more violent) than in "Tour". Just as mode control sets traction control intervention levels, steering weight, etc.

Jimmy
This is also the case for the A8 which I drove in tour, sport and track mode. As I said, the car shifts faster in track model. I am not sure what our friend is talking about.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some of you may call that a delay, but compared to the paddle shifts of a stock/untuned 6L80 in an early C6 it is actually lightning fast. A very solid improvement with likely more to come in the future as well.
Ok, so the paddle shifts of this $1800.00 option might not be able to match those of the $4100.00 optional PDK, but they're still not what I'd call molasses slow either.

Quick Reply: Video proof of A8 shift delay