C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z

It's obvious that GM emphasized race track performance with the new Z as opposed to straight line performance. Having said that, I'm shocked that with all the added power (yes a little weight too) the straight line performance is this close. Am I in the minority here?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-z06-specs.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-automatic.pdf
Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, you're not the minority. It's very disappointing and is NOT what GM advertised and insinuated (for well over 1-year).
Old 12-08-2014, 02:52 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

The new z06 is a big, heavy, overheating pig.

I'd grab a 2006 Z06 with a CAI and SMOKE this thing past 125 mph.

The ZR1 is STILL King of the Hill.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Most notable to me are the 2mph difference in 1/4 mile trap and the .3 sec difference in 0-150 mph. Something doesn't seem right?

+ ~150 more hp, + ~180 more ft/lb, + ~400 lbs
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Not trying to poo-poo on the new Z, it's a formidable car and beautiful too. But for someone looking for Z performance, the old one is a better value.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Something is not right in Mudville...
Old 12-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

Hey, why not just buy a base M4 or M3? You get to carry 3 of your friends, have nearly identical performance (0-160 mph.), nicer interior/ cooler and better gadgets, and a nice trunk for all the cash you'll save. Plus, you can even get it with 4-doors.

"Supercar" is the term GM used to describe this Z. Sorry, but if it can be equalled by a 4-door, 450 h.p. sedan, it's NOT a supercar. PERIOD!

Disclaimer: I placed an order for a Z06 w/Z07. My dealer and salesperson is at a loss. I've not cancelled my order, but I am disheartened by GM's deceptive and, flat- out, false advertising.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:11 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Datrojan
The new z06 is a big, heavy, overheating pig.

I'd grab a 2006 Z06 with a CAI and SMOKE this thing past 125 mph.

The ZR1 is STILL King of the Hill.
Great incite; very technical. Typical noob hater. Once the heating issue is repaired (and it will be) you will be back on the band wagon. Growing pains my friend, growing pains.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVETTE00
It's obvious that GM emphasized race track performance with the new Z as opposed to straight line performance. Having said that, I'm shocked that with all the added power (yes a little weight too) the straight line performance is this close. Am I in the minority here?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-z06-specs.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-automatic.pdf

it is a tradeoff right? i mean ridiculous amounts of downforce comes at a cost in drag.. i would rather have the downforce and corner better. Straight line is boring in comparison, to me anyway.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

reminds me of the new gen viper vs the old gen..Wasn't much of a leap overall and was kind of a fail..Could the same thing be happening to the cz7? Lots of hype for marginal performance difference. it should be kicking the **** out of a 06z but it's not it's a **** hair differnce
Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

you guys are hilarious, what a backwards thinking crowd we have here honestly. Instrumented testing is less than half the story. How these two cars behave in the actual real world, street and track is a world of difference according to real enthusiast who've driven all variations of Corvettes in the past decade.

Sad really, even within the tight knit Corvette community the ignorance runs a bliss
Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bench racing, lol
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

0-60 and 0-100 figures aren't close at all, granted the C7Z tested was an automatic.

The new M3/M4s are quick cars, but 0-150 isn't in the same league as the C6 and C7 Z06s. Fastest mag time for 0-150mph is 20.x seconds for the M3/4. 3 seconds at that speed is pretty huge.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
you guys are hilarious, what a backwards thinking crowd we have here honestly. Instrumented testing is less than half the story. How these two cars behave in the actual real world, street and track is a world of difference according to real enthusiast who've driven all variations of Corvettes in the past decade.

Sad really, even within the tight knit Corvette community the ignorance runs a bliss
How is it sad? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you don't agree with that opinion, why should you call others "backward thinking?" That's a pretty ignorant statement, with all due respect.

Complaints do not mean community members are negating their "apparent" social responsibilities to other members.

The fact of the matter is, for a large number of buyers, bragging rights mean something.

How many Z06 owners are actually going to drive their vehicles at 185 mph? 2%, 3%? 1%?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have the fastest, most powerful, TOY on the street.

NO ONE needs a Z06, ZR1, or Viper, period. But, these cars, for many, are our hobbies, our outlet, etc., and when you're spending $90k to $100k, it's a lot of money, no matter how much you have in the bank.

GM promised "real world" performance numbers, that simply aren't living up the hype THEY CREATED! I'm surprised this forum isn't more outraged at GM's deceptive sales tactics.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah--the car sucks. Highest lateral G readings (1.17-19) ever tested on a road car. Best braking ever recorded from 70mph by C&D on a road car. Ecstatic reviews by those that have actually DRIVEN the car. Runs a 1:29 out of the box at RA and then you drive it home listening to a 10 speaker Bose stereo with your seats on cooling while surfing the Internet on 4G wifi. Then getting home and downloading all the PDR data from your day at the track. I mean, WHO would want this POS?!?!
I hope all the people so negative on the car DON'T buy one so those of us that have can enjoy a little more exclusivity during our ownership experience.

Rant over! I'm new to the corvette world so maybe I don't know any better, but I can't believe the amount of BS that gets posted on this forum.

Last edited by Leadfoot01; 12-08-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01
Yeah--the car sucks. Highest lateral G readings (1.17-19) ever tested on a road car. Best braking ever recorded from 70mph by C&D on a road car. Ecstatic reviews by those that have actually DRIVEN the car. Runs a 1:29 out of the box at RA and then you drive it home listening to a 10 speaker Bose stereo with your seats on cooling while surfing the Internet on 4G wifi. Then getting home and downloading all the PDR data from your day at the track. I mean, WHO would want this POS?!?!
I hope all the people so negative on the car DON'T buy one so those of us that have can keep a littlem more exclusivity to our ownership experience.

Rant over! I'm new to the corvette world so maybe I don't know any better, but I can't believe the amount of BS that gets posted on this forum.
Get use to it. They arent going to go away. They dont have a life outside of the c7 section(when they arent even really interested in this generation anyway).

Am i disappointed in the performance from a roll? Sure. Would i take a c6 of any kind over the new c7? Not a chance in hell.

I wouldnt mind a c7z with the blower pulled off and a 454 stroker put in.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

It comes with 4G wifi? Only 4G? That's ridiculous! Are we back to 2011 now? The '16 Viper is coming with 6G! The Viper will be able to upload 2-mb. files in less than 4 seconds! GM takes almost 2 seconds longer, for the same sized file!

This is absurd! That's it. I'm canceling my order. :-D

Get notified of new replies

To C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z

Old 12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Most people on the street will never realize that I'm driving a car that's inferior to a 2006 C6Z. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited by CaryBob; 12-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 PM
ALVETTE00
Drifting

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC

Comparing data from one car to another is backwards? Please explain that one? How else would you compare/contrast two vehicles? Are you suggesting that these tests took place somewhere other than the real world? If you've only driven Vette's produced in the past decade, by your logic I'm more of an enthusiast than you. I've driven one from every generation.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The car has sacrificed straight line performance up top with increased aerodynamic drag to help the car in the corners. This is a track car (e.g. not a drag car). It's ironic saying that because a track car should be N/A but otherwise, this car is setup for track use, not drag racing. It's potent in a straight line but not unbeatable. If you want a fast car in a straight line throw forced induction on the base model / Z51 instead.

I'm fairly confident that a ZR1 and a blown C6 of any variant will have the Z06 seeing tail lights. Most reviews tend to show that the new Z06 heat soaks after a couple pulls. I'm sure staying on it from 0 all the way to 150mph it's losing power up top too from the excessive heat.

Quick Reply: C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z