C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually got nauseous doing my ZR1. That's a lot of 0-60-0 as fast as you can. And a cop drove by me right after I was done. I could see him looking at my glowing brakes like wtf.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
oh good idea. I may have to do the same. I was planning on throwing a tripod up and recording the entire session from a distance but that angle would be pretty cool as well.
if you want to steal my idea go ahead as i am sure you will have yours out on the roads again before i get a chance to with how cold of temp swings we are having. i just figured it would be cool to see how hot they get and if any glowing of the rings during the seasoning of the pads.

some people mentioned sparks etc.. during their runs to do this so i was wanting to see how extreme it really is
Old 12-14-2014, 11:22 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

oh good idea. I may have to do the same. I was planning on throwing a tripod up and recording the entire session from a distance but that angle would be pretty cool as well.
Originally Posted by thebishman
Your wheels should be covered under warranty then as you were only performing a recommended procedure per GM.
Bish
i believe someone on the zr1 forum said they had some bronzing of the silver rims but it went away after a bit?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope mine goes away, and I do agree that if it does not that it should be covered under warranty, if I knew I would have waited and done this with my track wheels. grrrrrrr
Old 12-14-2014, 11:35 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could someone smarter than me please explain why exactly we do this? Not because the manual said so or to prevent issues down the line...but what exactly is happening during this process to make it better in the future?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Old 12-14-2014, 11:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Could someone smarter than me please explain why exactly we do this? Not because the manual said so or to prevent issues down the line...but what exactly is happening during this process to make it better in the future?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
it is to make the brake pad compound bake all the pad material compound into a better performing longer lasting material then if it is not done, also braking performance is said to be better then if not done
Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Gene,

JVP explains things well in his "sticky thread" that he originally referred to...

Gary

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...urnishing.html
Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

who's going to pay for the tickets?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
Guys watch out, I did this today and now my Pearl Nickel Wheels are burnt
may want to bring a gas mask and some dramamine along
Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a follow-up to the article on ZR1 ceramic brakes in the November 2008 issue of TechLink.

NOTICE: These procedures are specific to the ZR1 with ceramic brake rotors.This procedure should not be run on other Corvette models as damage may result.

NOTICE: The new vehicle break-in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the engine and/or powertrain.When performed as instructed, these procedures will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase.After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.
  • White appearance results from light street burnishing.
  • White appearance results from the heavier track burnishing.

Street High Performance Brake Burnishing Procedure

Run this procedure in a safe manner and in compliance with all traffic laws and on dry pavement only:
  • From a stop, accelerate as rapidly as possible without wheel spin to a speed of 60 mph.
  • Use enough pedal force to completely stop the vehicle in 4 to 5 seconds. If the ABS activates, you are braking too hard.
  • Repeat steps 1 and 2, 50 times. This should take about 10 minutes.
  • After completing the 50 stops, cool the brakes by driving for five miles at 60 mph.
As with all high performance brake systems, some amount of brake squeal is normal.

Racing - Track Brake Burnish Procedure

To prepare the ZR1 brake system for track events and racing, complete the Street High Performance Brake Burnish as described above. Then, complete the following additional procedure to make the ZR1 brake system ready for track events and racing.

NOTICE: Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.

This procedure should be run only on a track and only on dry pavement:
  • Drive a normal, not too aggressive 1st lap.
  • Laps 2 and 3 should be gradually driven faster and more aggressively, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
  • Drive Lap 4 as near to full speed as possible, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
  • Laps 5 and 6 should be cool-down laps.
  • Lap 7 should be normal driving or an easy out lap.

Last edited by Pumba; 12-17-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Not sure why manufacturer of the pads couldn't have done this on a machine before the pads are installed on the car? It would sure save a lot of explanations to the police why you're going from 0-6-0 50 times.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
Not sure why manufacturer of the pads couldn't have done this on a machine before the pads are installed on the car?
It would raise the cost of the pads substantially. I'm glad they don't.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Have someone ride in your car to keep count, I had a friend ride in my car and keep count when I did it made it much easier since I lost count trying to focus on hitting the 70 then stopping to 10 (makes it much easier since you can leave it in 2nd) then looking for cops/etc. Felt sick after ~40 from the brake smell and the acceleration/braking. After ~40 my brake pedal went to the floor and completely lost my brakes for about 5+mins then slowly regained them after that from driving back home. Had my dealer bleed the brakes After since it boiled the fluid lol.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:47 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LS9Drew
Have someone ride in your car to keep count, I had a friend ride in my car and keep count when I did it made it much easier since I lost count trying to focus on hitting the 70 then stopping to 10 (makes it much easier since you can leave it in 2nd) then looking for cops/etc. Felt sick after ~40 from the brake smell and the acceleration/braking. After ~40 my brake pedal went to the floor and completely lost my brakes for about 5+mins then slowly regained them after that from driving back home. Had my dealer bleed the brakes After since it boiled the fluid lol.
hence the mask and dramamine comment
Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by LS9Drew
Have someone ride in your car to keep count
Why? So that instead of one person throwing up in the car, you have two?

My solution is a bit more technical. I have a cup-holder iPhone stand that I pop my phone into. Since the phone is BT'd into my car, any sound it makes comes across the stereo. I found a counter app called "Tally Counter". It has a big button that increments a counter; it'll also announce the new number every time I press the button.

That way no one needs to keep count.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sub.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The manual for my 2015 Z06 Z07 has the procedure on page 9-9.
It say 50 stops.

I mention this because some have said there is a mistake in their manual with it saying 5 times not 50.

Last edited by hootowlc7; 01-15-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone just done the track burnish and not the street? Think just the track one will be ok? Thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 08:38 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by VinnieA
Has anyone just done the track burnish and not the street? Think just the track one will be ok? Thanks
It won't, no. The track burnishing will only work after the street burnishing is done. They're doing two different things to the pad material, and the street needs to be done first.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure