Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 PM
VinnieA
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jvp View Post
It won't, no. The track burnishing will only work after the street burnishing is done. They're doing two different things to the pad material, and the street needs to be done first.
I was hoping that was not the case.... Looks like I'll be getting up really early Sunday morning to get this done with out too many people on the road. Some one needs to sell burnished pads for this car. The one's we get for my race car are burnished already....

Last edited by VinnieA; 01-20-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
chrisducati

Default Missed it on my ZR1

Can't really argue with the factory or those that have done the burnishing. However, I wasn't particularly aware of the process when I bought my 2010 ZR1 so never did the burnishing--street or track. I did approximately 7 track days with the car--once at High Plains in Colorado, then 3 separate days each at Daytona and Sebring. No brake problems at all; but perhaps they would have been more effective had I burnished them. Actually, one exception, at Daytona--braking from approx. 178mph on the tri-oval into road course turn one is always a little hairy--I attributed that to a) street abs, b) transition from banking to flat/while turning left at high speed. In this instance it feels like the abs is invoked at very high speed and the car doesn't want to brake hard. I don't absolutely hammer the brakes on track days--always leave a little in reserve. I run 2:03 at Daytona and 2:30 at Sebring, which I think is decent for a stock ZR1.

New Z06 should arrive in February or March and I will do the burnishing this time. Can't wait to see times versus the ZR1 at Daytona and Sebring.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Babaron
CF Senior Member

Where do you do this street burnishing? There is no way I can do this on a public street without causing a scene. No parking lot big (or empty) enough to do it. At a loss here.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 AM
hootowlc7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Babaron View Post
Where do you do this street burnishing? There is no way I can do this on a public street without causing a scene. No parking lot big (or empty) enough to do it. At a loss here.
Don't worry about it. If you don't have a place to do it, you don't need to do it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Werks
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Babaron View Post
I drive about 10 minutes outside of town and do it on a 2 lane country road in the burbs. I live in a fairly big town with over 800k people and I think that we are pushing upwards of 4 mil people in the Bay Area and I can find a place to do it. I'm sure that you should be able to find someplace in Ohio too. If someone gets anywhere near behind you just do what I do which is just pull to the side, let them by and add on an extra 4-5 stops to make up for any cooling of the brakes.

Originally Posted by hootowlc7 View Post
Don't worry about it. If you don't have a place to do it, you don't need to do it.
I disagree, for the brakes to function properly it needs to be done that is why it's in the manual in the first place.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Seadawg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrisducati View Post
I run 2:03 at Daytona and 2:30 at Sebring, which I think is decent for a stock ZR1.

New Z06 should arrive in February or March and I will do the burnishing this time. Can't wait to see times versus the ZR1 at Daytona and Sebring.
There's an HDPE track event at the Daytona Speedway on April 9th and 10th, hopefully you have your new Z06 out there trying it out
Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,615 Times in 436 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by Werks View Post
I drive about 10 minutes outside of town
What also helps is time-of-day. I do mine at 0300 on a Saturday morning.

I disagree, for the brakes to function properly it needs to be done that is why it's in the manual in the first place.

If there's even a remote chance you'll get those brake pads warm enough to boil the bonding agent out, you'll be in for a shocking surprise when it suddenly feels like they're fading.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM
chrisducati

Originally Posted by Seadawg View Post
There's an HDPE track event at the Daytona Speedway on April 9th and 10th, hopefully you have your new Z06 out there trying it out
Yes, already registered for the Thursday session. Just need the car to arrive! Should see it in March.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 PM
soulsea
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

So I hit 500 miles on the Z07 the other day, and since it was in the 70s I found a desolate road to do the brandishing. I did ten or so abrupt stops from between 60-70mph to 0 without setting off the ABS. I know that I should have done more but by the time I was done with the tenth one my brake pedal was going almost all the way to the floorboard. Since I was on a public road it was somewhat unsettling so I decided to call it a day. It took a good ten minutes at cruising speed for the brakes to return back to their normal self and for the brake pedal to trigger the brakes as before.

So I'm not sure what I should do next. Should I go back and do it again a few more times or have I shot my 'brandishing' load and I'd better off leaving them alone. Would repeating the process gain anything or might it even be counterproductive now that I went through the cycle once?

I do have two track days planned in the next two months.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
So I'm not sure what I should do next. Should I go back and do it again a few more times or have I shot my 'brandishing' load and I'd better off leaving them alone. Would repeating the process gain anything or might it even be counterproductive now that I went through the cycle once?
You didn't burnish them completely, so you need to start the process again. Fifty stops. It's a pain in the ***, but worth the effort.

Then when you get to the track, follow the track burnishing as outlined in the manual.

Last edited by jvp; 10-29-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM
thebishman
CF Senior Member

Unusual to have the pedal go to the floor after so few stops. Wonder if you have some air in the line at the caliper? I'd do a flush with Castrol SRF and go out and do the whole procedure prior to the track days.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Pumba
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
So I hit 500 miles on the Z07 the other day, and since it was in the 70s I found a desolate road to do the brandishing. I did ten or so abrupt stops from between 60-70mph to 0 without setting off the ABS. I know that I should have done more but by the time I was done with the tenth one my brake pedal was going almost all the way to the floorboard. Since I was on a public road it was somewhat unsettling so I decided to call it a day. It took a good ten minutes at cruising speed for the brakes to return back to their normal self and for the brake pedal to trigger the brakes as before.

I do have two track days planned in the next two months.

Thanks

This is not hard!

Go back and start over, doing the entire procedure properly. Do not lock the brakes up where they activate the ABS. It sounds like before you do it properly you should have someone install a 600 degree F brake fluid, such as Wilwood's.

When I did mine, I had smoke rolling out of the front brake pads between stops 40 and 51.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM
soulsea
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Okay thanks guys ... I'll do the full cycle next week.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
JackTripper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Question:

I still need to do this to mu car. I have just over 1000 miles.

Do you have to change your brake fluid after this process?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 AM
PhilT3

I would expect the brake fluid that it comes with should be able to withstand this procedure considering GM tells you to do the burnishing.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Theo Harris
CF Senior Member

I had. My Z07 on the track at VIR 2. Weeks ago, I run on light rain the 1st day on a 45-50 degree weather with out burnishing the brakes and within a few minutes and normal track use I start feeling the brake pedal getting softer and softer per cornet, so I backed off took the car to a chevy dealer where they flash the brake fluid and installed a new DOT4. Car drove like a dream after that and I burnish the brakes on the tracks skid pad after 40+ times I stoped to inspect and my brakes were on fire, man that did not feel good at all, however the burnishing procedure worked well as the next full track day the car worked like a champ

Complain, with 1500 braking it in easy miles on the car and 5 minutes at VIR the darn brakes should not have cooked the fluid, and the dealer should not have charge me $250 to fix the darn fluid, who knows what GM put in at the factory?

The problem with corvette is that you pay $100,000+ and you don't get enthusiast at the dealerships, rather the heavy set clueless service manager that are afraid of their shadow, the service manager told me at Danville VA GM service department that he will never do that again???? WTF, HE WILL NEVER CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUIT ON A NEW CORVETTE THAT IS [email protected]&$?-/!?,
Btw they had 3 new stingrays for sale in their showroom...

I did purchased the car (my 3rd corvette) from Autonations Chevrolet in Timonium MD, love the people there from the sales rep Scott Doyle to the sales manager who gave me $3000 off my new Z07 and last but not list Barry Williams the service manager who is a corvette enthusiast and a corvette owner. With out this guys I don't think I could work with the myriad of idiots I came across multiple GM dealerships....GM and dealers step up your game

Last edited by Theo Harris; 03-27-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Werks
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Theo Harris View Post
I had. My Z07 on the track at VIR 2. Weeks ago, I run on light rain the 1st day on a 45-50 degree weather with out burnishing the brakes and within a few minutes and normal track use I start feeling the brake pedal getting softer and softer per cornet, so I backed off took the car to a chevy dealer where they flash the brake fluid and installed a new DOT4. Car drove like a dream after that and I burnish the brakes on the tracks skid pad after 40+ times I stoped to inspect and my brakes were on fire, man that did not feel good at all, however the burnishing procedure worked well as the next full track day the car worked like a champ

Complain, with 1500 braking it in easy miles on the car and 5 minutes at VIR the darn brakes should not have cooked the fluid, and the dealer should not have charge me $250 to fix the darn fluid, who knows what GM put in at the factory?

The problem with corvette is that you pay $100,000+ and you don't get enthusiast at the dealerships, rather the heavy set clueless service manager that are afraid of their shadow, the service manager told me at Danville VA GM service department that he will never do that again???? WTF, HE WILL NEVER CHANGE THE BRAKE FLUIT ON A NEW CORVETTE THAT IS [email protected]&$?-/!?,
Btw they had 3 new stingrays for sale in their showroom...

I did purchased the car (my 3rd corvette) from Autonations Chevrolet in Timonium MD, love the people there from the sales rep Scott Doyle to the sales manager who gave me $3000 off my new Z07 and last but not list Barry Williams the service manager who is a corvette enthusiast and a corvette owner. With out this guys I don't think I could work with the myriad of idiots I came across multiple GM dealerships....GM and dealers step up your game

You should not take your car out on the track without the brake pads being burnished first. What you experienced on the track with the pedal getting soft was not the brake fluid cooking off or failing, it was the pads starting to outgas which is what happens when you burnish the brakes and is the whole purpose of doing that. In essence your driving around on track was getting the pads hot enough to start the burnishing process but instead of doing it on a deserted road, you were doing it on a race track probably filled with other cars which quite frankly is not safe (which is I'm guessing why you also pulled off the track lol). So in your case there was no need to change brake fluid, you just need to to read the instructions and try to follow them. In this case it sounds like you ended up paying $250 for the mistake. Be thankful you could have hurt your self, someone else or damaged your car all because you did not take the time to prepare your car properly for the track all of which would have cost you a lot more than that!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM
One Curve at a time
CF Member

Default Stupid question

My Z07 will be home in 3 weeks and I will do the street burnishing procedure prior to my track days (and the track burnishing at the track).

Q: What is the impact of changing pads? Does it cancel the previous burnishing? Do I have to re-do it at every pad change ?

TY
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by One Curve at a time View Post
Do I have to re-do it at every pad change?
If they're new, unburnished pads, then yes you have to re-do the whole process.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM
One Curve at a time
CF Member

Originally Posted by jvp View Post
If they're new, unburnished pads, then yes you have to re-do the whole process.
Eurk.... That means i will be sick at least 2 times per summer ...

Isn't there an "easier" bedding process once the CCB are burnished?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: