Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 PM
MontanaBob
CF Senior Member

Are cars with CC brakes burnished at the factory? If so, how do they do it? I cannot believe that they burnish them as stated in the manual ; i.e., by driving it for ten miles. Additionally, the restrictions on engine break-in wowould be violated.

My guess is, that if they do it at all, it is performed on a machine before the rotors are mounted. Needless to say, the pads must remain with their respective rotors and maybe even the calipers.

I asked my dealer about it and the reaction that I received was a roll of the eyes.

Montana Bob
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Questar
CF Senior Member

They are NOT burnished by factory. As explained in the owners manual it is up to the owner to perform the procedure and isn’t done until engine has some breakin miles on it (can’t remember if it was 500 miles or 1,500). It then needs to be done again when pads are replaced.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Tunerz Store
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MontanaBob View Post
Are cars with CC brakes burnished at the factory? If so, how do they do it? I cannot believe that they burnish them as stated in the manual ; i.e., by driving it for ten miles. Additionally, the restrictions on engine break-in wowould be violated.

My guess is, that if they do it at all, it is performed on a machine before the rotors are mounted. Needless to say, the pads must remain with their respective rotors and maybe even the calipers.

I asked my dealer about it and the reaction that I received was a roll of the eyes.

Montana Bob
I'm not sure where you are getting information about driving for 10 miles. The procedure in the manual calls for 0-60-0 repeated 50 times. Accelerate hard enough to not engage traction control and brake hard enough to not activate ABS. Then drive for 10 minutes without using the brakes to allow them to cool. I would suggest a stretch of roadway less traveled at night with easy outlet to interstate when done for cooling procedure. Make sure to cinch your seatbelt as well. This should be performed after the break-in period and oil change @ 500 miles.

Last edited by Tunerz Store; 01-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Tim Dufrene

i get off this ship this morning i have the 2017 Z06 with the cc brakes will be doing the street burnishing tomorrow and have been in contac with the dealership at first they did not know about it service manger that is so i talked to the sales manger him and me went to the ron fellows driving school in 2014 he didnt know about it either he did a little calling around to gm at first they didn't know sales manager re read the manual . I had been telling them that the manual said this needed to be done if you drive the car aggressive . i told the sales manager that after i did the burnishing i would bring car in for inspection was told that would be a good idea . im still on the fence about these cc brakes, if you dont drive aggressive their great but look out if you do you cant stop quick enough . cant wait to burn em up GM should done a better job . if GM dont stand by this im switching back too cross cut steel rotors .
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM
trevor90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tim Dufrene View Post
i get off this ship this morning i have the 2017 Z06 with the cc brakes will be doing the street burnishing tomorrow and have been in contac with the dealership at first they did not know about it service manger that is so i talked to the sales manger him and me went to the ron fellows driving school in 2014 he didnt know about it either he did a little calling around to gm at first they didn't know sales manager re read the manual . I had been telling them that the manual said this needed to be done if you drive the car aggressive . i told the sales manager that after i did the burnishing i would bring car in for inspection was told that would be a good idea . im still on the fence about these cc brakes, if you dont drive aggressive their great but look out if you do you cant stop quick enough . cant wait to burn em up GM should done a better job . if GM dont stand by this im switching back too cross cut steel rotors .

calm down, there is zero need to burnish them if all you use it for is street use. instructions are in the manual
Old 01-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Questar
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by trevor90 View Post
calm down, there is zero need to burnish them if all you use it for is street use. instructions are in the manual
I agree... donít get all stressed out over this. Your CC brakes will outperform 99% of the cars out there, on the street, without performing the burnishing procedure. I say that from experience both on and off track (road courses) in BOTH my Z06/07 and my ZR1. Iíve ran both cars hard on street (prior to burnishing) and had no issues whatsoever. I also ran the Z06 once on track without burnishing and had VERY LITTLE issue with fade even under extreme repeated braking.

If you think about it... the burnishing procedure calls for repeatedly accelerating up to 60mph then applying threshold braking back to zero, then immediately accelerating back to 60, and so forth twenty times... all within about 5 minutes. During this process (at around the 15th to 20th repetition you will experience brake fade... sometimes to the point that the brake peddle goes all the way to the floor). This is what youíre looking for and it is the sign youíve accomplished the task of heating the pads enough to ďoff gasĒ the chemicals in the pads which interfere with pad to rotor surface contact, and reduce braking efficiency at higher temps. My point is: Nothing you will do during normal or even aggressive street driving, will come close to simulating these conditions on your brakes... or heating them enough to cause noticeable brake fade.

So, as Trevor90 stated, if youíre not tracking your car, donít worry about the burnishing... and if you do the burnish process then just follow the instructions and trust the info in the owners manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brakes: Burnishing Procedure

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: