C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Some actual hard data.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some actual hard data.

Car and Driver got the new c7 z06 in auto form to go :
"Details such as a 60-mph nuking of three seconds flat, set by a Z06 equipped with the Z07 Performance package and an automatic. This car tore the quarter-mile a new one at 11.1 seconds at 127 mph, scorched the skidpad with 1.19 g’s of grip, and stopped from 70 in an astonishing 128 feet, the latter two figures setting C/D records for a production car. We also tested a slightly less potent manual-trans Z06 [see bottom of page 2]. "

here are the manual numbers January car and driver also this is online .

We tested both the automatic and manual Z06, the latter returning numbers lower than expected. The base seven-speed coupe, 3559 pounds, did a 60-mph strafe of 3.4 seconds, a quarter-mile clobbering in 11.5 seconds at 126 mph, skidpad laps averaging 1.12 g’s, and a stop from 70 in 139 feet. However, our tester grumped that the car should have been quicker, especially since its computer threw a code during testing and may have been cutting power. Even if it was, the car still posted numbers comparable to the old ZR1.
GM got these numbers:

Chevrolet claims the Z06 sprinted through the benchmark 0-to-60-mph measure in just 2.95 seconds and that it annihilated the quarter-mile in an equally impressive 10.95 at 127 mph. Those who opt for the seven-speed manual transmission will have to be content with claimed 3.2- and 11.2-second (also at 127 mph) times.

Now no idea how many miles on these cars. And these runs of course are on street tires and there will still be variations depending on driver, density air which is hugely important to mph and et both
and reflects temperature, humidity ,altitude . We can even add in other variables like weight of driver. A 100 pound heavier driver can make a tenth difference. How much fuel is in the car can make a tenth or so difference.
The cars should get faster with more break in mileage as well even if there is not 500 mile limiter on the tune.

The cars are dynoing in the 560 to 580 range for the M7. Well in line with published numbers of 650 hp.

And of course the c7 z06 is way cheaper than the outgoing zr1 was new. And has been improved in pretty much every area of the cars performance. And has all the latest greatest new tech.

Really the car should be compared not to the way more pricey new zr1 but to the old z06. The car is heavier by like 400 pounds over the old z06. So that will of course affect the power to weight ratios and take away some of the differences between the two cars.

So all this crying and bitching and moaning about the new c7 z06 mostly from people that don't own the car is just exactly that. Bitching and moaning and crying with suspect a large bit of jealousy thrown in.

I don't own one yet. I did own a 2008 z06 and while it was a good car it was nowhere near perfect car. Interior was so so. Mine had 3LZ option and was not too bad I could live with it. The seats were not very good. The ride wasn't great magnetic ride was offered in the last few years on the z06. Not offered on the earlier years even thought it was offered on the c6 base cars .
It had good power and there were some issues with the engine but mine never had any problems or saw any warranty work. Had it a few years. Bought it used and saved a lot from depreciation. Sold it and didn't do too bad as depreciation slows down after first few years.

I sold it as was sick of driving a stick where live now. Sometimes heavy traffic and lots of steep hills and driveways. I am happy now that the new Z06 offers auto option something the zr1 also didn't offer and can be had in vert form and with removable roof also nice options which past zr1 and z06 don't have .

I don't care if the outgoing zr1 has more power potential modded and certainly don't believe the c6 z06 and the new c7 z06 are going to turn equal times in the 1/4 . But could see them being fairly close 5 car lengths or so maybe as there are so many variables how aggressive the torque management is , how aggressive the factory tune to name a few . Not sure also want to compare gearing final and transmission gearing between the c6 z06 and c7 z06 and zr1 . Will look over that shortly. Gears of course can have pretty big effect on the powerband and timeslips.

I think the c7 z06 is looking like it will respond pretty well to mods but to make big power with them will likely require a bigger blower swap.
Lots of guys don't give a damn about factory warranty and will mod their cars the day they get them home.

All three of these cars are "fast" cars . Especially on the street and all of these will likely be more car on the track then most guys can handle as well.

I have no problem at all buying a c7 z06 over a zr1 or z06 especially after having personally owned a c6 z06.

I would be getting one with A8 possibly a vert and will wait a few years for depreciation to work its magic and for some first year bugs and issues to be worked out.
But don't think anyone can really say the new c7 z06 is not the superior car in pretty much every category over the old z06 and zr1 cars.

To say its not is to be in denial. Am sure will see some great numbers out of these cars come spring and summer ,especially great 1/4 mile type numbers once guys put good tires on the auto cars.
And run them at places with great density air.

Its an awesome car and would love to have one in my stable right now but not into paying new price and losing big money driving them off the lot.
But think anyone who did get one is one lucky person. And wouldn't pay much attention to the naysayers.

Is the car perfect no. But its still a damn big jump forward over the last generation. And its way cheaper than the Zr1 was new.

Last edited by ALLANB; 12-21-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:18 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

How dare you bring facts to a whine-fest!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 03:22 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that was a long winded diatribe by a non owner.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Yes am a non owner but can still read actual hard data and am experienced drag racer who understands how many variables there are and that you can't just say a car that runs 11.0 at 127 is going to run that every day ,everywhere with any driver. Run the car at Denver going to see a lot different result than running it at sea level in Florida. A 280 pound driver is going to be tenth or more faster than a 150 pound driver. And manuals well they are not very consistent at all. Most all serious 1/4 mile guys run autos for that very reason.

I still want to check on few other factors one of which is gear ratios of transmissions and final gearing.

Here is the stats on the z06. Will put them for the
zr1 and new c7 up just for comparison .
First Gear Ratio (:1) 2.66
Second Gear Ratio (:1) 1.78
Third Gear Ratio (:1) 1.30
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1) 1.00
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.74
Sixth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.50
Reverse Ratio (:1) 2.90
Clutch Size N/A in
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1) 3.42

here are the zr1 trans and final specs.

•First: 2.29
•Second: 1.61
•Third: 1.21
•Fourth: 1.00
•Fifth: 0.81
•Sixth: 0.67
•Reverse: 3.11
•Final drive ratio: 3.42

Steeper in the first three gears on the c6 z06 over the c6 zr1 but same final drive.

Here is the c7 z06 stats on trans and final gearing:

Just found out the Viper has a 3.55 final drive ratio compared to 3.42 in the c7 z06.
Here are the stats: they changed think sixth gear in the 2015s a bit. This is from 2014

So also slightly different on some of the other gears like 1st , 2nd , etc

1st 2.26
2nd 1.58
3rd 1.19
4th 1.00
5th 0.77
6th 0.63
Axle Ratio 3.55
Overall Top-gear 2.24
Final Drive
Description Frame-mounted hypoid bevel gear with GKN ViscoLok speed-sensing limited-slip differential; 3.55:1

So pretty close on most of the gears between the zr1 and c7 z06 and same final drive. So the gearing in the c6 z06 could give it an advantage at some speeds if the pull was not made in fourth gear where the ratio is one to one and they both have 3.42 final drive ratios.

Now the a8 has very different ratios obviously to the m7 and m6 transmissions with a lot lower final drive ratio.
just wanted to compare the numbers there was curious.
Course we also can look at weights of the three cars as well.

I think the main reason that the c7 z06 is not doing so well on some pull type runs is they have neutered it in the programing but the quarter mile numbers still look pretty good especially in the automatics. And remember there was no automatic in the zr1 and c6 z06 so think that is a big advantage to the new c7 z06 . It will be more consistent in the 1/4 mile and looks to be a fair bit quicker as well.

So maybe some of you m7 guys should have bought the a8 c7 z06 if you want to put a bigger hurting on the c 6 z06 and zr1 at least in 1/4 mile runs. Also for you modders out there usually can pick up a lot like half second in 1/4 mile by putting in a higher stall converter. Another advantage to auto cars.

Last edited by ALLANB; 12-23-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Appreciate the data review BUT. The A8 isn't out yet in production form. Your data is from pre production cars, IE mules. I really hope the production cars can duplicate the data but we really need to have cars run that are production cars, not mules.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Bluedevil15
Racer

Great post! 😁
Old 12-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

AllenB, thanks for a great informative well thought out post. PDCJonny, bite me, get a life, you are an ***.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good long post.
But hard data is the wrong title. Hard data is just raw numbers without any emotions.

The hard data is as follows a 650hp C7Z06 vs 505hp C6Z06 should bring better numbers. But so far the hard data proves otherwise. Trap speeds are equal between the two cars and they shouldn't.

I don't think people are trolling or hating. I don't think people are not agreeing that the C7 has better seats/infotainement/interior/brakes/skidpad. This is all pretty obvious.

I think people are trying to figure out why a car that dyno'ed 585rwhp brand new can't bring better trap speed. It puts down 50rwhp more than a Zr1 on the same dyno, it definitely should trap higher. It's, in my humble opinion, a totally valid question.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f

I think people are trying to figure out why a car that dyno'ed 585rwhp brand new can't bring better trap speed.
Lemme help ya on that one!

Weight = 3533 lbs. (189 more than the ZR1)

Although no numbers have been released yet, according to GM, the Z produces more Downforce than any other car they have ever produced.
No reason to doubt this, considering the mag tests.

Anyone knowing how the above 2 things influence traps speeds shouldn't be surprised at all with the preliminary reports.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Appreciate the data review BUT. The A8 isn't out yet in production form. Your data is from pre production cars, IE mules. I really hope the production cars can duplicate the data but we really need to have cars run that are production cars, not mules.
The car and driver was pretty sure a production car they just did it for the January issue . They tested both auto and manual and got the numbers above.

An 11.1 is hardly slow and the mph looks not to bad either. On street tires of course with as said so many variables that can affect the outcomes.
Tires are also going to be a pretty big factor as well when comparing different cars and if traction control was on or off ,what power mode the car was in makes a difference as well.

You could beat my 800 plus hp 99 trans am with a 300 hp car off the line if I am on street tires. that car will spin them off at 100mph and had no factory traction control. But put some et street radials on it and it kills pretty much everything out there ,off the line and up thru the quartermile because can get traction with the et street radials.
Lots of cars are slower than lower hp cars because of that simple word and the word is traction. And just because you have traction control don't mean much either as then you are not putting all your power to the ground when its engaged.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:24 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Originally Posted by darth g-f
Good long post.
But hard data is the wrong title. Hard data is just raw numbers without any emotions.

The hard data is as follows a 650hp C7Z06 vs 505hp C6Z06 should bring better numbers. But so far the hard data proves otherwise. Trap speeds are equal between the two cars and they shouldn't.

I don't think people are trolling or hating. I don't think people are not agreeing that the C7 has better seats/infotainement/interior/brakes/skidpad. This is all pretty obvious.

I think people are trying to figure out why a car that dyno'ed 585rwhp brand new can't bring better trap speed. It puts down 50rwhp more than a Zr1 on the same dyno, it definitely should trap higher. It's, in my humble opinion, a totally valid question.
What was said two posts above. Difference in weight could account for couple of mph every 100 pounds is roughly 1 mph .
And heavier driver , more fuel in the car can be a few more mph difference. Fuel is heavy like 7 pounds a gallon.

Then you add in other variables that can affect mph. Altitude of track ,temperature and humidity. Traction variables still affect mph. And as said was traction control on or off. What tires are on the car.
What mode was the car in? The zr1 and the c7 z06 are pretty close.
As for the c6 z06 and the c7 z06 being really close have to do a bit more comparing as more runs are made and really the runs would have to be at same track ,same day both cars of course bone stock since often people lie about their mods. And still could be up or down a few mph from fuel level, driver weight and with manuals way more variables. Driver skill can make a big difference in mph. Autos are going to be much more consistent . But there is no auto option for the
old z06 or zr1 is there. Unless you do a conversion on them.

I used to laugh at buddies that told me their car was a 10 second car but for some reason didn't realize it was a 10 second car with a few
exceptions.
It was a 10 second car on drag tires no where near a 10 second car on the street on street tires. It was a 10 second car maybe that day with the temperature at 30F and with perfect density air and at that sea level track not at some 3500 feet above sea level track . And a 10 second car with 1/4 tank of fuel and lightweight drag tires and few more 100 pounds of weight reduction, no front seat , no spare tire, etc. and running on race gas or meth .

Its not all so black and white. I think people are being way to stupid on the new c7 z06 right now and they have very little real data to back any of it up. Some roll on races...hardly scientific. Hard to hit it at exactly the same time also. The three honk thing is not exactly precise.

I don't think anyone expected the z06 to crush a zr1. the zr1 is rated 638 versus 650 and is couple hundred pounds lighter.
Now still would be surprised to see c6 z06 run same mph and quarter mile times on same day same track same driver same raceweight same everything. But also still think the c7 z06 might put out another 10 or 20 hp more as the miles rack up. and talking not 500 miles but 5000 or more. Also be interesting to see an overlay of dyno curves for the c6 z06 and c7 z06 and zr1. I am not good at this maybe someone else could do one for me. The c6 z06 is also super light and not sure how it is for downforce . I think its got a lot less than the c7 z06 and maybe less than the zr1 as well. After all it had no front splitter or side
skirts for most of the models and it has a very small rear spoiler and not sure on the aerodynamics numbers between the three cars maybe someone can post those.

I just am tired of seeing knee jerk reactions to the c7 z06 being such a fail when I am not seeing this in any way shape or form.
A 3500 pound car that can hit 10s in auto form with a near 130mph
don't seem like a fail to me. And costing way less than a zr1 did when new.
And for guys that don't want a manual non convertible used zr1 or z06 this car certainly hits the mark. Kudos to GM! Home run I say!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Agreed. I want to see some real numbers from forum members that purchase the car. I can't put a lot of faith in what a magazine says since they also solicit advertising from the companies who's products they test. Don't forget the Chevy Vega was Motor Trends Car of the Year in 1971.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Trolls and BMW owners will hit this positive thread in 4....3....2......
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but they were production vehicles, ones used to verify quality control BEFORE they actually go into full fledged production. They don't (usually) let the press drive test mules...of ANY kind due to the fit/finish and overall uncertainty of how the unit will run when they do (in fact) test them.

The A8 transmissions are already manufactured...and in the GM parts system. They've run a few down the line already...

To use an old term...these were PRESS cars, complete PRODUCTION cars that are done as Q&A vehicles to be released to the press to do this exact thing. To allow them to report on a new models capabilities just as they are hitting the showroom floors.

Dismissing them as "mules" shows how little you know of the production process for automobiles.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 12-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Love you magazine non owner types.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Further proof these cars are not what they should be. There's no way a 3500lb 650hp/650ftlb car should trap anything under 130 on a bad day.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Although no numbers have been released yet, according to GM, the Z produces more Downforce than any other car they have ever produced.

Anyone knowing how the above 2 things influence traps speeds shouldn't be surprised at all with the preliminary reports.
Exactly!

Why buy this car for drag times or roll times? GM stated one thing only. which has yet to be disproven by anyone on this forum.

Last edited by Toilets; 12-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Some actual hard data.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:54 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
Love you magazine non owner types.
Do YOU have a new Z06/Z07 sitting in YOUR garage yet, Viper-boy?

If not...then you fall into the same category.

I don't EVER buy a first-year model of ANY car. Period. I'll let the rest of you be the guinea pig for GM R&D...

What a douche...
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

You seem to not take into account the fact that the C7Z dynoed 50rwhp higher and has a fatter torque curve.

If we gave the Z06 50rwhp for every 189lbs, the car would make 925rwhp! It still should trap higher than a ZR1. So the C7Z is actually well compensated for this extra weight.

Which leaves the drag to take into account. I can't wait for GM to release the df/drag data. There are no canards or anything really draggy beside the rear spoiler. The front splitter actually reduces drag and so do the side skirts. Things just don't add up, whether people like it or not.

So at this point your guess is as good as mine. Some like me, believe the drag can't possibly be that bad. Others believe drag has everything to do with it. It's all speculation at this point until we get the hard data from GM. In fact if the low trap is because of drag, then drag guys should rip the spoiler off.

*Edit to add, GM did some good work on the C7. The C7 vents its radiator air through the hood. This reduces drag as the air coming in the radiator isn't forced to find a way around the engine and under the car creating drag and lift.

Last edited by darth g-f; 12-21-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Those magazines like Car and Driver you are quoting are doing what GM pays them to do and that is sell cars.

Quick Reply: Some actual hard data.