C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Here's how temperatures affect timing advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Here's how temperatures affect timing advance

I have a 2015 Z06 tune file. Here are two snippings of what happens to timing advance with temperature. There are multiplier tables that add or subtract from these values but this is the two main tables.

I think there is some timing reduction that owners are experiencing. As an example with IAT (Intake air temperature) my 2013 CTS-V will get up to 145* plus on a 45-50* night just idling in the staging lanes. And even higher with boost. Engine coolant temperature when allowed to idle it gets up to 229* with stock fan settings. Moving at freeway speeds I only see about 192-194 on a cool night. I run my fans manually via my HPT controls in the staging lanes and temps become much lower.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Do you know what the thermostat is set for on the C7 Z06? I've seen several people post for a Stingray that they normally run 210-220 degrees.

On my C6 Z06 I can run across Kansas at 90 MPH on a 105 degree day and run 192 degrees coolant.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Do you know what the thermostat is set for on the C7 Z06? I've seen several people post for a Stingray that they normally run 210-220 degrees.

On my C6 Z06 I can run across Kansas at 90 MPH on a 105 degree day and run 192 degrees coolant.
I don't know Joe what temperature the Z06 thermostat maintains. I would assume it has an 86 C just like my CTS-V but don't know for sure. I haven't had this Caddy long enough to give it a test in heat on the highway. It may run the same as your C6 Z06 but don't know yet.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

FINALLY. Someone started a technical thread so that we could discuss this, instead of labeling it an excuse. Thanks for posting the tables.

The IAT timing pull doesn't look bad at all, which echoes what the tuner shops have stated regarding the IAT readings being good on their pulls. Doesn't appear that IAT is driving the issue here.

Coolant temps could benefit a lot from adding a 180F thermostat. Most factory cars run at around 200F, to get better emissions levels. But, at the detriment to performance. But, even at 212F, only losing 3 degrees timing isn't horrible. That might be 15-20 hp, which is backed up by the dyno tests that have been done. Even at that power drop, the LT4 is still making the rated 650 crank hp.

Good info, but really no new news here. Thermostat and turning the fans on earlier will keep these cars running much cooler, until it gets hot outside.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:38 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
FINALLY. Someone started a technical thread so that we could discuss this, instead of labeling it an excuse. Thanks for posting the tables.

The IAT timing pull doesn't look bad at all, which echoes what the tuner shops have stated regarding the IAT readings being good on their pulls. Doesn't appear that IAT is driving the issue here.

Coolant temps could benefit a lot from adding a 180F thermostat. Most factory cars run at around 200F, to get better emissions levels. But, at the detriment to performance. But, even at 212F, only losing 3 degrees timing isn't horrible. That might be 15-20 hp, which is backed up by the dyno tests that have been done. Even at that power drop, the LT4 is still making the rated 650 crank hp.

Good info, but really no new news here. Thermostat and turning the fans on earlier will keep these cars running much cooler, until it gets hot outside.

Finally we have something to look at.

timing pull at 212' seems very reasonable. The question is, with the Supercharger, are AIT's really hitting 250?!?! We need datalogger numbers too.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Color me stupid, but what is "spark airmass"?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The IAT's are actually very good. They take a while to come back down if the car has been sitting but once in motion IAT's will actually -decrease- a few degrees at wide open throttle.

The problem in my opinion is the knock sensors are hyper sensitive (I was logging 8-10deg of knock almost any time you breath on the gas pedal and also at WOT) and after the first few times you go WOT, commanded air fuel goes ultra rich.

At least that's what I found with our car hot lapping it around the shop. It was only around 40deg that day so temperatures may be more of an issue when ambient temps are higher but for now it seems to be just an ultra conservative tune.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems like 5 to 7 degrees pulled out at operating temps. Assuming timing is set mid 20s at WOT, you are looking at mid to low 10s for timing which could explain the drop in performance when things get heated.

It would be interesting to hear from a tuning expert.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
It would be interesting to hear from a tuning expert.
What would you like to know?

When cool you are seeing mid 20's for commanded timing (minus 8-10 deg of knock which seems to be consistent).

A few less when the temps start to climb.

Our car once tuned felt much more consistent on back to back runs as fueling was consistent and knock sensors were less aggressive but I have not done any back to back timed acceleration of stock vs tuned as it's too cold to get traction in the lower gears.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by INTMD8
The IAT's are actually very good. They take a while to come back down if the car has been sitting but once in motion IAT's will actually -decrease- a few degrees at wide open throttle.

The problem in my opinion is the knock sensors are hyper sensitive (I was logging 8-10deg of knock almost any time you breath on the gas pedal and also at WOT) and after the first few times you go WOT, commanded air fuel goes ultra rich.

At least that's what I found with our car hot lapping it around the shop. It was only around 40deg that day so temperatures may be more of an issue when ambient temps are higher but for now it seems to be just an ultra conservative tune.
"once in motion IAT's will actually -decrease- a few degrees at wide open throttle."

IAT2 will increase rapidly at WOT. When air is compressed it goes up in temperature. Once back to steady driving with no boost the temperature will drop. And too this is related to how well the heat exchanger and intercooler function and are matched to the supercharger.

IAT2 is air temperature coming directly from the supercharger and going into the heads. IAT1 is the air temperature the Mass air meter is reading.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

8850, do you have access to the same tables, but with IAT2 data? Would like to see that.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:08 AM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Request to posters

There are a lot of folks who are going to want to follow this discussion, most of whom are not tuners, or versed in the thermodynamics of internal combustion engines. That can't happen if the tuners talk to each other without explaining their comments to the rest of us. So please:

Define terms that tuners understand but the rest of us don't (i.e., "spark airmass");

Be clear about what you are discussing (i.e., "Our car once tuned felt much more consistent on back to back runs ..." -- What kind of car? Tuners now have the C7Z and its timing tables, and the weather is currently cold for most of us, but one poster was describing his CTSV, then another poster replied referencing "our car." So is "our car" a C7Z that's been doing back to back runs somewhere? In the cold?)

Sorry, I will plead ADHD, or just plain density, but like Tony said, this is going to be an important thread.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:16 AM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Thanks for the lesson, I'm well aware of the difference between IAT1 and IAT2.

IAT2 on a C7Z decrease by a few degrees at wide open throttle.

This is the case on the dyno and the few runs I did on the street though I'm sure at some point (in warmer weather) temps would increase.

Here is the 5th back to back wot pull on this log. What do you see IAT2 doing?

Even if for some reason IAT1 and IAT2 pids are reversed (which I haven't tested), there certainly isn't a problem with intake air temp at this point.

Last edited by INTMD8; 12-23-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall

A lower thermostat only reduces coolant temps on cars that have sufficient cooling capacity for the energy being dissipated. If you only run the car for in quarter mile runs or several dyno runs with some idling or off periods between the runs a lower thermostat along with a reduced fan turn on temp may reduce coolant temps.

However, 10 minutes of wide open throttle under max load will vastly increase the heat to be dissipated and the only limiter of coolant temp is radiator capacity. If you are on track with a coolant temp of 230 degrees and oil temps pushing 300 degrees while running at 160 mph it doesn't really matter whether or not you have a 160 degree thermostat or a 186 degree one.

Before I added a Ron Davis Racing radiator to my 03Z06 I saw 230 degree coolant temps with 319 degree oil temps after running for 30 minutes on a hot track day. That was with a stock 86 deg C (186 deg F) thermostat. Just changing the radiator reduced the coolant temps to 200 and oil temps to 220.

Bill
Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,152 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Subscribed. So what's the current hypothesis on why the car is slowing down so substantially? It's normal for all cars to pull timing when they heat up, but I keep coming back to the Road Atlanta peak speeds of only 153. Very slow for 650 horse.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,152 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
A lower thermostat only reduces coolant temps on cars that have sufficient cooling capacity for the energy being dissipated. If you only run the car for in quarter mile runs or several dyno runs with some idling or off periods between the runs a lower thermostat along with a reduced fan turn on temp may reduce coolant temps.

However, 10 minutes of wide open throttle under max load will vastly increase the heat to be dissipated and the only limiter of coolant temp is radiator capacity. If you are on track with a coolant temp of 230 degrees and oil temps pushing 300 degrees while running at 160 mph it doesn't really matter whether or not you have a 160 degree thermostat or a 186 degree one.

Before I added a Ron Davis Racing radiator to my 03Z06 I saw 230 degree coolant temps with 319 degree oil temps after running for 30 minutes on a hot track day. That was with a stock 86 deg C (186 deg F) thermostat. Just changing the radiator reduced the coolant temps to 200 and oil temps to 220.

Bill
Yep... fans do nothing on track and T-stat just starts the cooling cycle earlier. Once up to temp ultimate capacity is contingent on the overall cooling capacity of the system i.e. radiator and water pump and airflow.

I wonder if stuffing a bigger radiator and exchanger for the supercharger would do enough to keep the car out of the "pull power" zone with the stock tune.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 AM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Subscribed. So what's the current hypothesis on why the car is slowing down so substantially?
Mine is excessive timing pulled via hyper sensitive knock sensors and excessively rich air fuel ratio.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's how temperatures affect timing advance

Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the lesson, I'm well aware of the difference between IAT1 and IAT2.

IAT2 on a C7Z decrease by a few degrees at wide open throttle.

This is the case on the dyno and the few runs I did on the street though I'm sure at some point (in warmer weather) temps would increase.

Here is the 5th back to back wot pull on this log. What do you see IAT2 doing?

Even if for some reason IAT1 and IAT2 pids are reversed (which I haven't tested), there certainly isn't a problem with intake air temp at this point.
Sorry, I should have indicated for those that don't know IAT1 and IAT2.

I see what your log shows. Sure different than what my CTS-V log indicates.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:31 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Those logs look good above. IAT2 or IAT1 do not seem to be an issue with this car. I'd take INTMD8's response, about Knock Retard, causing the main timing pull. But, you also have to be very careful when you alter those tables, and trust your fuel source. Also, I'd hope the driver has a good ear at detecting ping/knock when driving at WOT. Those alterations would certainly void your powertrain warranty. The good tuner shops deal with this daily, so pick your tuner wisely. Speed Inc is a good one!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

excessively rich air fuel ratio.
That's not terribly surprising in the least. It'll be interesting (FSVO: interesting) to see how many Z06 owners start eating their cats after a while.

Quick Reply: Here's how temperatures affect timing advance