C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

5-30 dexos1 motor oil for $ 3.58/ quart sure beats AC Delco dexos1 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM
ticat928
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 5-30 dexos1 motor oil for $ 3.58/ quart sure beats AC Delco dexos1 pricing

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.c...os1-5w-30.html

It appears the Coastal value brand is expecting these 55-gal drums of dexos1 approved oil to sell like hotcakes. Case in Point Petroleum Service Company is set up to supply Ali Baba's Customer's a 1000- drums per week ea at substantial quantity discounts.

Forum members should be familiar with the Coastal brand presented as the value (off brand?) leader at every auto parts store.

It begs the question how can the dexos1 spec be such a low bar that practically any oil producer can wip up a batch in a semi synthetic. (Another Topic for discussion?)

The individual GM Dealerships are likely to jump all over this deal, since the extra profit potential over the AC Delco oil is too much to to resist.

The Coastal oil uses a Group 2 base stock for a blended semi synthetic concoction (low cost and low quality) yet it is listed as GM approved:

dexos1 Brands
dexos 1

Search:
Brand Name Supplier Spec Visc Region

COASTAL Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
COASTAL Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-20 North America
COASTAL Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 0W-20 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-20 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
MileGuard Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 0W-20 North America
MileGuard Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North Americ

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

My point is those that get bulk oil sourced oil changes from GM dealers, how do they feel about having this oil in their crankcases of LT4's, LS9, and Z07 engines?

Take look at the Drum label at your Dealership before you decide?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ticat928
http://www.petroleumservicecompany.c...os1-5w-30.html

It appears the Coastal value brand is expecting these 55-gal drums of dexos1 approved oil to sell like hotcakes. Case in Point Petroleum Service Company is set up to supply Ali Baba's Customer's a 1000- drums per week ea at substantial quantity discounts.

Forum members should be familiar with the Coastal brand presented as the value (off brand?) leader at every auto parts store.

It begs the question how can the dexos1 spec be such a low bar that practically any oil producer can wip up a batch in a semi synthetic. (Another Topic for discussion?)

The individual GM Dealerships are likely to jump all over this deal, since the extra profit potential over the AC Delco oil is too much to to resist.

The Coastal oil uses a Group 2 base stock for a blended semi synthetic concoction (low cost and low quality) yet it is listed as GM approved:

dexos1 Brands
dexos 1

Search:
Brand Name Supplier Spec Visc Region

COASTAL Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
COASTAL Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-20 North America
COASTAL Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 0W-20 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-20 North America
LubriGold® Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North America
MileGuard Full Synthetic Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 0W-20 North America
MileGuard Synthetic Blend Warren Oil Company Inc. dexos1 5W-30 North Americ

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

My point is those that get bulk oil sourced oil changes from GM dealers, how do they feel about having this oil in their crankcases of LT4's, LS9, and Z07 engines?

Take look at the Drum label at your Dealership before you decide?
I wouldn't let the dealer touch it, not use Dexos. Do it yourself with M1...
Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM
ticat928
Racer

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
I wouldn't let the dealer touch it, not use Dexos. Do it yourself with M1...
That is the right idea.

In my 730-Hp V-10 I use M1 0-40 European formula year around.

It has a 458-deg F flash point, meets the latest Merc, BMW, GTR, Ferrari and Porsche Specs (the most demanding in the industry) yet has a high enough viscosity at high temperatures (Track Work) to keep bearings protected and still provide easy starting in cold weather.

I have 6-jugs (5qrt ea) that were on sale at Walmart for $ 22.xx ea.
Current pricing $ 26.xx
Old 01-07-2015, 01:18 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am not sure I follow your post... Are you suggesting that dealers will be substituting this oil for the AC Delco branded oils we typically carry? If so, that's not likely due to dealers purchasing their oil through GM. We (dealers) don't just decide that we are going to stop purchasing oil from GM and move to an off brand oil. We have incentive programs in place for oil purchases from GM and volume discounts etc. Loyalty objectives and many other "back end" incentives would go away if a dealer tried to save a few bucks on quarts of oil.

Also, my price for AC Delco Dexos oil is less than the $3.58 that you're posting.

I do agree that any brand of Dexos is not the best and I will not be using it in my 2015 Z06 either, but Mobil 1 is not much better. People ASSume that what it says on the cap is the best option and it's not.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM
ticat928
Racer

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I am not sure I follow your post... Are you suggesting that dealers will be substituting this oil for the AC Delco branded oils we typically carry? If so, that's not likely due to dealers purchasing their oil through GM. We (dealers) don't just decide that we are going to stop purchasing oil from GM and move to an off brand oil. We have incentive programs in place for oil purchases from GM and volume discounts etc. Loyalty objectives and many other "back end" incentives would go away if a dealer tried to save a few bucks on quarts of oil.

Also, my price for AC Delco Dexos oil is less than the $3.58 that you're posting.

I do agree that any brand of Dexos is not the best and I will not be using it in my 2015 Z06 either, but Mobil 1 is not much better. People ASSume that what it says on the cap is the best option and it's not.
Thanks for enlightening me. I had seen the kind of volume they were set to move on these 55-gal drums then made an assumption.

That leaves fleet operators and car rental companies that would enjoy quantity discounts as likely customers.

By rights GM should be the low cost producer of dexos1 since anyone that is licensed has to pay GM $0.36/qrt which could be a third of the production costs.

You are right about M1 in general, since having lost the lawsuit against
Castrol on marketing Group 3 oils as 100% synthetic, Mobil has switched to the cheaper Group 3 base stock as well, the exception being the European Formula 0W-40 which has to use a Group 4 base to meet the higher European performance requirements.

The worst M1 oils are the green cap energy saving oil, I permanently lost 10-lbs of highway cruising oil pressure (oil filter was full of bearing material) after doing some towing in the winter time with the Toyota approved 0W-20 oil which I had used due to many days below zero.

To your point about M1 generally being a poor performer I have attached a study on 5W-30 oils.
One will find M1 the laggard in most of these tests.

I appreciated your feed back, I always look to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
g3115.pdf (422.3 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by ticat928; 01-07-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: wrong attachment
Old 01-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Amsoil 'Signature' 5W-30 ………. nuff said …….
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by ticat928
That is the right idea.

In my 730-Hp V-10 I use M1 0-40 European formula year around.

It has a 458-deg F flash point, meets the latest Merc, BMW, GTR, Ferrari and Porsche Specs (the most demanding in the industry) yet has a high enough viscosity at high temperatures (Track Work) to keep bearings protected and still provide easy starting in cold weather.

I have 6-jugs (5qrt ea) that were on sale at Walmart for $ 22.xx ea.
Current pricing $ 26.xx
wow nice deal for sure. especially if meets the specs for all those
Old 01-08-2015, 12:58 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

..........I do agree that any brand of Dexos is not the best and I will not be using it in my 2015 Z06 either, but Mobil 1 is not much better. People ASSume that what it says on the cap is the best option and it's not.
Why I am a loyal AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 user for my vettes and caddie CTS.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:59 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
bingo!!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:06 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Originally Posted by GOLD72
Why I am a loyal AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 user for my vettes and caddie CTS.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Is Dexos being used in the c7Z06?I think dexos is now the standard issue in Cruze's, impala's, malibu's etc etc.

Get notified of new replies

To 5-30 dexos1 motor oil for $ 3.58/ quart sure beats AC Delco dexos1 pricing

Quick Reply: 5-30 dexos1 motor oil for $ 3.58/ quart sure beats AC Delco dexos1 pricing