C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lawdogg149's Road Atlanta Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Great review. Thank you both!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

great information from both of you...thx for sharing.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Great news. Sorry for spreading bad info about the 280+ oil temps. Nice to see real data! Nice work on the 1:35 on street tires.

Dez - the passenger side is tighter than the driver. You have to incline the seat first so you can lower the seat base all the way first. Once the seat back hits the panel behind the seat it stops working. I'm 6'4" 270 and fit in my student's Stingray at VIR this summer without issue.

Neat to have back to back comparison to the Viper. The eDiff and Mag ride and PTM are great tech to push the envelope.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Let me first apologize for spreading the misinformation about the temps. I thought Lawdogg said 280. Posted to some friends on facebook and it went from there. It was a bit warmer yesterday though, so I don't know if the temps show higher for yesterday.

I started off as one of the people very much on the fence about this car, with the mystery surrounding the straight line speeds at Road Atlanta, timing, temps etc. but after the VIR lap I was pretty certainly convinced of the potential of the car. I loosely joined the bandwagon with one foot on.

However, now that I have ridden in the car.......

SOLD!

Let me preface this by saying that I have my own race car. A Porsche 996 TT that I've built over the years. I do time trials and hold lap records at several tracks. Road Atlanta is also my home track so I have hundreds of laps there. I also instruct with several organizations including NASA and Chin Motorsports.

With Chin, I am one of the designated check ride instructors for every event I attend at Road Atlanta. I get my fare share of rides in everything, and very often offered to drive cars due to drivers comfort with my instructing style. I do not accept however unless they are lost on track, which never happens because they wouldn't be getting a check ride. I only drive my friends cars (and people that beg) .

Anyhow, I've been in new 991 Turbos and GT3's, TA's, ACR's, Z06, ZR1...... on and on and on. I was really impressed with the handling of the C6Z having ridden in plenty and driven some. However absolutely nothing is as good as this car.

Magnificent feedback through the seat of the pants. Car communicates very well and is super confidence inspiring. Slides are progressive, and the car reacts quickly to corrections. The E-diff is great as well. I don't know what level the TC was on but it allowed just enough slide to keep the car on line without hampering the experience.

Consider Lawdogg had my 220 lbs butt in the car (probably 230 with 4 layers of clothes, helmet etc.), he really pushed the car well once I challenged him a bit. Subract 1 second (conservatively) for my 220 lbs, and 2 seconds for PSS to MPSC 2 (also conservative) and that's a 1:32.02 which is only 2.3 second short of Milner's lap. Not many can get in that ballpark of the guys who get paid to do this.

Car makes every bit of 650 +hp/tq. Caught me off guard for sure the first time he punched it. Car pulled consistently the entire session, I couldn't feel much if any difference at the end of the session. The rev match is awesome, car is stable in the corners.

I swore off Porsche when they opted not to provide manual for the GT3, that was tough to do, but this makes it much easier.

My only concern though is that for tall drivers there is a small hard hump behind your head where the roof detaches. When my head snapped back due to torque, it hit that every time at full recline, I had to move the seat forward. If you get rear ended with a helmet on or are tall enough, you may get knocked out or worse. I didn't know if I could lower the seat.

At the end of the day, I'm a big time fan of this car and what GM has done with it. Can certainly see a C7Z in my near future. Lawdogg, thanks for the ride. That car with 7 years 100k warranty is unreal. Don't see how you could ask for more........

And nice work too Lawdogg
Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Thanks for the review Lawdog and Heavychevy!! And great job by General Motors!

And not to start something but where are the haters that were popping up in every thread not too long ago?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:42 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
And not to start something but where are the haters that were popping up in every thread not too long ago?
They're feverishly searching for some other feeble strawman to swing.
S.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 AM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lawdogg very nice! Your video is making me more excited on getting my Z. The motor sounds so sweet.. I can't wait to track mine..
Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Great review! Given the times and the amount of brake wear you managed I'm surprised you didn't get the Z07 package. Wasn't the stiffer suspension alone enough to warrant the Z07 add on?

Looking forward to more input.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice writeup!

That track looks awesome!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:18 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sushisean
Great write up! Question on the pdr. Did you set lap start/stop after completing your first lap? Did you leave the recording on the entire session and then restart at each session? Can't wait to try this at willow springs next weekend!
No just turn on pdr as u pull from pits. Then hit define finish line where u want the timer to begin. You will get a warm up lap the timer begins. You must do this each session.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Great review! Given the times and the amount of brake wear you managed I'm surprised you didn't get the Z07 package. Wasn't the stiffer suspension alone enough to warrant the Z07 add on? Looking forward to more input.
I was on the fence for the zo7 package. But knowing how fast the cup 2 tires wear out I opted out. Also i have had the ceramics before and just never justified any of the advantages. This car only needs tires and little more aggressive pads to become a really really fast car.

I will be putting slicks and aggressive pads on this spring and will return to Rd ATL. I feel like these two mods alone will pickup way more than the zo7 package. Thats my logic.

Thanks glad to see you out there also driving it to its fullest.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Awesome!!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Both great cars and it was cool that you bring both vehicles (corvette and viper ) to the track.

Cheers to living the good life.

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-12-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 AM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you...
Old 01-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Just to clarify, is the "PERF TRACK 3- SPORT" and PERF TRACK 4- SPORT" in the PTM menu the same as Sport 1 and Sport 2??
Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Babaron
Just to clarify, is the "PERF TRACK 3- SPORT" and PERF TRACK 4- SPORT" in the PTM menu the same as Sport 1 and Sport 2??
Not real sure.

You have the following options in ptm mode:

Wet, dry, sport 1, sport 2, and Race

I tried race the day prior but car was way to uncontrollable in the cold temps we had. I used sport 1 during my tire warmup laps usually 4 laps then i would use Sport 2.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 AM
kaamacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking its the same PTM as in the ZR1.... the 5modes would be obviously PTM1 through5, but PTM1/2 are Tour1/2 (PTM1 really for your rain/bad weather mode)....then PTM3/4 are Sport1 and Sport2....PTM5 is RACE.

** Jeremy as you mentioned this weekend... it is NOT just turning the dial between Tour and Sport. That is not PTM1-5 **

Not sure how C7 is, but would be nice if the last mode you stayed in remained...versus entering again each time after the ignition switch is turned off.

Get notified of new replies

To Lawdogg149's Road Atlanta Review

Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Thanks for the review Lawdog and Heavychevy!! And great job by General Motors!

The trolls must be resting. Either that or they avoid posts with actual facts - or at least much more qualified opinions than theirs. Their specialty is keyboard/bench racing - or roll/dyno racing.

Thanks for the great reveiws/feedback guys. It looks like the Z06 is the "track rat" that it was/is supposed to be - just as GM said. Granted she is a little "fuller figured" than she used to be - but fast laps are fast laps!! I guess that's not enough for some around here though . . .

This was particularly impressive given that the car didn't have sport cups, the added aero, etc. of the Z07.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM
boomerangj
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Well guys I cant post a whole lot tonight got early flight out tomorrow am. Let me start out by saying thank yous to all that came by this weekend. Also let me thank member "Heavy Chevy" for the support and help with getting my personal best lap.

My car is a 2015 Corvette Z06 with the competition seats and level two aero kit. This car is completely stock and setup according to GM's manual for track events. Only exception was I did not change my brake fluid to high temp fluid. Tires are factory Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flats.

Best time with passenger. 1 Minute 35.02 sec.

(see video below fastest lap was between minute mark 24:03 and 25:39)

This weekend was very cold. Todays temps maxed out at 42 degrees at the track.

Data below is from the on board PDR system using the cosworth software:

Max Oil temp: 257*
Max Trans temps: 205*
Max Water temps: 210*
Max speed: 155.6 mph
Avg average mph: 96.70

Let me just say wow again. Never have I ever owned a car that I could not find the limits in two days tracking. My fastest lap was at the end of the second day with a passenger. I tried all weekend to find the car's limits but it keep on taking more and more. I would enter a turn at what I thought was the limit for the car and tires to only find that it stuck. Next lap I would try even faster. I would stick again. Most of my weekend was with passengers. That is what I enjoying doing most. Letting others experience the car as much as I was.

Another driver came over after one session and stated I had passed him in the straight and he quickly moved in behind me to hope to draft. He stated he was to the floor already and that the draft of my car alone made his accelerate. He stated that it actually scared him.

I would say after both days of driving both the viper and the Zo6 the corvette wins the award. I ran several split sessions of 15 mins viper 15 mins Zo6. The corvette was alot quicker and more balanced in the turns. I will have to dig through my gopro videos of the viper to get some lap times from it. Before todays event I was able to find the vipers limits both car and tires the last time I was at Road Atlanta in November. Again I was never able to find the corvette's. This car is meant to be driven harder than I was capable of doing. The power and balance was just so encouraging that it made you want to go faster than your brain would want you to through the turns. Those concerned with the topspeed at Road Atlanta dont be. This car will easily do 160 mph. I just wasn't brave enough yet. I lifted way to earlier.

No over heating issues or timing pulls at all.

Only concern:
My front lug nuts would seem loose after a couple of sessions. I like to at least check them every other session. I had 3 lug nuts never click my torque wrench set at 100 ft lbs.

Now the video:

Road Atlanta 2015 Corvette Z06 - YouTube
Lawdog and Heavy Chevy-Thanks! One of the most informative posts this past couple of months. And the credibility of Lawdog and Heavy Chevy comes through-which makes this read a valuable one. I'm back on the fence again regarding Z07 and or not though. Your logic makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of ordering Z07 with black wheels and a set of the pearls or chrome with Pilot sports for day to day. Chevy made a huge mistake! too many options! I just need to make this happen soon-your review is a motivator.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
great information from both of you...thx for sharing.
nice going

Quick Reply: Lawdogg149's Road Atlanta Review