C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 monthly payment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Glad to see the "if you can't pay cash you can't afford it" crowd has chimed in.
What would we ever do without them!

Like some others, my opinion on the subject has changed. Until rates move upward, I personally believe that financing is the better choice...at least for me. As long as financing isn't used as a way to buy something that one can not afford, today's rates are really a great deal.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
What would we ever do without them!

Like some others, my opinion on the subject has changed. Until rates move upward, I personally believe that financing is the better choice...at least for me. As long as financing isn't used as a way to buy something that one can not afford, today's rates are really a great deal.

What means you can't afford it, to me, is if you finance it: you run into a bad patch, and you can't afford to pay the loss to ditch it. If you can't eat the $15k in dropped value, you can't afford it.

"Paying cash" is a great idea and all - but lets say you had to liquidate stock to buy it. You'll be paying the 23% for long term capital gains or even STCG on the money. So, which is better in the long run?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
1) You think 1130 is a mortgage? Where do you live that you can buy a house for that cheap?

2) Ask the Porsche and Mercedes guys what their car payments are. You think 1130 is a lot? LOL

3) People who don't finance cars when interest rates are this low are people who either have bad credit, don't understand how to use their money in the markets, or are so filthy rich that the investment of $80k makes little impact to their portfolio.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) You think 1130 is a mortgage? Where do you live that you can buy a house for that cheap?

2) Ask the Porsche and Mercedes guys what their car payments are. You think 1130 is a lot? LOL

3) People who don't finance cars when interest rates are this low are people who either have bad credit, don't understand how to use their money in the markets, or are so filthy rich that the investment of $80k makes little impact to their portfolio.
Killeen Texas
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paloalto00
This. I used to be all about paying everything in cash until I realized you can make your money work for you
Agree except a couple of things to consider. If you decide to take a big payment, so you can take the cash that you already have and invest it and get a higher return to offset the depreciation and small interest. I totally agree with that strategy. That means 80k in the bank for an 80k loan on the car. If need arises you can always pay the car off with the cash. But if you are taking a 80k loan out and you don't have 80k in the bank to offset the interest and the depreciation, then you are over leveraged and that can cause major financial issues later. for example if you need to dump the car because of the payments. But, if you are under water on the car then you have to sell the car for less than you owe and pay the difference to make up for it, now you get into trouble. also, on the balance sheet you have a big negative depreciating asset and no offset positive cash balance. I believe the best way to do this is to use home equity to buy the car. the interest is deductible from your income (drops you in brackets) and if you have the cash on hand you get the positive return on the cash. plus you own the car outright since it's on the house and if you need to sell the car you can do so with out paying out cash if you are under water on that asset.

Last edited by racezx9; 01-13-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 00247
So is $80,000+. BUT...

Only if you can't afford it. At today's interest rates it makes no sense to pay cash financially if you can afford the car. Sure it gives a sense of security and bragging rights, but consider this. Instead of paying cash, $46,000 is borrowed at 1.59%. The stock that would have been sold to pay cash was ~$37 at purchase time last year. It pays ~4% dividend and today's price is ~$51. About a 36% increase not counting the dividend. So instead it is paid out of a total investment return over time to keep the money earning.

If you have the money, whats the difference if you drop $80,000 plus at once or over a period of time if it is invested at a higher return. The difference is you loose money on top of the depreciation you will encounter. Yes, this is one stock and there was a small chance it could go down. But a balanced investment plan will yield much more than the 1.59% in this example. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do that makes sense to you.

This is not directed at you personally although I quoted your post.

Your hypothesis is "right on the money ( please excuse the pun)."

Another thing to consider: while your stock & bond portfolio is making money, the car will be losing more than ten grand a year in the first couple of years.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
Agree except a couple of things to consider. If you decide to take a big payment, so you can take the cash that you already have and invest it and get a higher return to offset the depreciation and small interest. I totally agree with that strategy. That means 80k in the bank for an 80k loan on the car. If need arises you can always pay the car off with the cash. But if you are taking a 80k loan out and you don't have 80k in the bank to offset the interest and the depreciation, then you are over leveraged and that can cause major financial issues later. for example if you need to dump the car because of the payments. But, if you are under water on the car then you have to sell the car for less than you owe and pay the difference to make up for it, now you get into trouble. also, on the balance sheet you have a big negative depreciating asset and no offset positive cash balance. I believe the best way to do this is to use home equity to buy the car. the interest is deductible from your income (drops you in brackets) and if you have the cash on hand you get the positive return on the cash. plus you own the car outright since it's on the house and if you need to sell the car you can do so with out paying out cash if you are under water on that asset.
I would never use a home equity loan to pay for a car.
First thing it is a higher rate and something happen's there goes your house.
I like to keep some money out and the rest is working some where.
But not to spend on a Z06. I just get the car loan for 1.69 percent.
Just have to pay some down so your never underwater.
Easy to do on great deals used you can find. Harder when you paid MSRP ESP
on loaded cars.
15k down and your good!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-14-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

DCU offers 1.49% on a max of $80K.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
You might be financing it for free, but you're nowhere near driving it for free unless your interest earned rate is paying for depreciation and cost of ownership.
As you can realize this goes hand in hand with any car. Depreciation and cost of ownership should be considered a given .
Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterM
Your hypothesis is "right on the money ( please excuse the pun)."

Another thing to consider: while your stock & bond portfolio is making money, the car will be losing more than ten grand a year in the first couple of years.
That's the sad part. Nobody said buying a new vehicle was an investment, unless it was a Ford GT. Pay to play, at what ever level you can afford.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 PM
383LPE
Drifting

I predict a flood of upside down Z's listed on the forum for sale in the next 180 days... maybe some biz for our friend REPO.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And if you track the car that's another $1000+ per weekend.

Of course posers and waxers will spend less........beer and wax...maybe $50.

Maybe throw in a couple of posters on the wall of Sebring or Laguna Seca.....
Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Where do you live that you can buy a house for that cheap?
Tampa. On a golf course. Paid $192K (cash) Taxes are $2300/yr.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The real question is not how much is your car payment but how long does it take you to earn that much. If you can make $1000 in 4 hours ( and there are plenty of people who can and do) then that's a small car payment for the amount of enjoyment you get in return. If it takes 2 weeks then I'd be buying something else.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Gee, I'm not sure if this thread is about car payments or mortgage payments, BUT my house only cost $7200 more than the OPs C7Z06.
(In 1980)
Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by jma242
Here in my section of PA, 4K a month will buy you a mansion. Most nice homes are around 1K.
Pennsyltucky section of PA
Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Some people forget when they talk mortgages, car payments, etc that income plays a big part in the conversation. People in LA or NYC say they'd kill for a <$1000 mortgage, but they never acknowledge the fact that they probably make 3-4x the money those of us with this kind of mortgage make. In my area, an average size house (1800-2500sqft) can be had for $1000 or less, and be on a full acre of land or more. But most people with normal jobs only clear $30-35k a year. I'm fortunate enough to have one of the higher paying jobs in a pretty wide radius (not counting MDs, surgeons, etc.) but still couldn't swing these $4000/month mortgages posted here. It's also why a $100k car is no big deal to some, but in my area, I was talked about like I just drove up in a Ferrari when I came home with a $45k GS, haha! So it's all about the numbers, and they vary tremendously depending on location!
The following users liked this post:
ZYUL8r (05-14-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 monthly payment?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
And 1k for a morgage? Here that might get you a crack house... try 4.5 ish for a nice place
Nothin like paying big money to live in an overrated sh*thole of a state. You can have that.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Pennsyltucky section of PA
I've been a myriad of places where 200k will buy you a monster house. Who even wants all that sh*t...I'd rather have a warehouse with a loft and room for my cars, personally speaking.

Houses are overrated...just like Jersey...lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:59 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

1st I'll say I'm a younger guy and see there are a ton of smart guys on here that know a lot and I may have to ask for some good advice about mutual funds and things like that to make more money. I've done ok and saved a fair amount but don't know a lot about how to make more money with it! I'm just about to move to a new house once I sell my first house I'll have enough to purchased a Z outright but to me its much easier to put a chunk down, have reasonable payment and have plenty of reserves available, if god forbid something happens. I'm definitely not old enough or making enough to purchase this car cash outright and justify it. But at the same time a wise women told me "your hear for a good time, not a long time." I understand not putting yourself in a financial hardship but the money doesn't get to go with you when you move on!

Quick Reply: Z06 monthly payment?