C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Standard Z06 vs Z07 package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:47 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess I should say the thing that worries me most is the replacement cost of the pads/rotors for the CC brakes. I can't imagine that brake job being cheap in general, let alone cheap compared to what a set of pads/rotors would cost on the non-Z07

Tires (to replace) are going to be basically the same either way, the suspension will be probably close enough for me, and the spoiler/aero stuff I can add later.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Personally.. unless you really need the added downforce for track use i wouldnt mind having a "plain jane" 1lz with maybe the nav and the black wheels.

Dont need all the aero stuff for a streetcar!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You will have to buy some tires with actual tread on them if you are going to drive it on the street much at all. They may be street legal, but just barely.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
I guess I should say the thing that worries me most is the replacement cost of the pads/rotors for the CC brakes.
If you buy the rotors and pads through a Chevrolet dealer and have them change the parts, you will get taken to the cleaners. However, if you buy them through places like Amazon and do the work yourself, you'll save a ton of money. If you don't drive on the track a lot then the rotors will last longer than you'll own the car. I still have the OEM rotors on my 2010 ZR1, which I've owned since March of that year. And I track it quite a bit.

Tires (to replace) are going to be basically the same either way
I'm not sure what you mean by "the same either way". The PSS tires have a longer tread wear rating on them than the Cup 2 tires (220 vs 180) and are about $300-400 less expensive for an entire set than the Cups. So they're less expensive to replace and you'll need to do it less often. Depending on how long you own the car, that could result in a fairly significant savings.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
If you buy the rotors and pads through a Chevrolet dealer and have them change the parts, you will get taken to the cleaners. However, if you buy them through places like Amazon and do the work yourself, you'll save a ton of money. If you don't drive on the track a lot then the rotors will last longer than you'll own the car. I still have the OEM rotors on my 2010 ZR1, which I've owned since March of that year. And I track it quite a bit.
Yeah, I'd be doing the work myself.

To explain a little better... with my Grand Sport on the steel rotors I can buy NAPA/Centric blanks for all 4 corners for about $175 shipped, and then CT pads are $550-625 depending on sales/vendors.

I've never even looked into carbon ceramic. So if you can shed light on the situation about the cost of CC rotors, and the pads, it'd be great.

If the rotors last a long time, that's wonderful, but I'd still like to know the replacement cost. I'm figuring 6-10 track events every year and then some street driving for fun, along with the occasional drive to work

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm not sure what you mean by "the same either way". The PSS tires have a longer tread wear rating on them than the Cup 2 tires (220 vs 180) and are about $300-400 less expensive for an entire set than the Cups. So they're less expensive to replace and you'll need to do it less often. Depending on how long you own the car, that could result in a fairly significant savings.
If I buy a Z06, the PSS will be for the street and I'd buy a set of OEM replica wheels with stickier tires (maybe PSC2s, maybe something else) for track use...
If I'd buy a Z07, I'd buy a set of OEM replica wheels and then put on street tires that last longer for the street.

So basically the way I see it, either way I'm buying a set of wheels and tires for whichever model I buy.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, I'd be doing the work myself.

To explain a little better... with my Grand Sport on the steel rotors I can buy NAPA/Centric blanks for all 4 corners for about $175 shipped, and then CT pads are $550-625 depending on sales/vendors.

I've never even looked into carbon ceramic. So if you can shed light on the situation about the cost of CC rotors, and the pads, it'd be great.

If the rotors last a long time, that's wonderful, but I'd still like to know the replacement cost. I'm figuring 6-10 track events every year and then some street driving for fun, along with the occasional drive to work
Just like JVP I've been tracking with CCM rotors on my C6Z since 2011 and do about 25-30 track days per year. The consumable costs that I have been seeing are front pads every 5-6 track days and rear pads every 7-8 track days running at the instructor level. So based on your estimated track use running at that pace you will be comsuming between 1-2x sets of front pads and around 1x set of rear pads per year, if you run at a slower pace obviously wear will be less.

As far as rotor life is concerned assume about 6-7x pad sets for the fronts and 8-9 pad sets for the rears before they hit min weight. So you should get about 3-4 years of tracking out of the front rotors and roughly 5-6 years out of the rears before needing to replace them which is a lot for a rotor and is realistically not very bad wear. Are the pads more expensive than the Centric pads you mentioned, yes but also get way, way better brakes and honestly if you are not cooking those low cost street oriented centric pads on track then you probably are not taxing your braking system very hard so the wear numbers I quoted above will more than likely be significantly lower.
The following users liked this post:
SterlingDrive (10-23-2016)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Werks
Just like JVP I've been tracking with CCM rotors on my C6Z since 2011 and do about 25-30 track days per year. The consumable costs that I have been seeing are front pads every 5-6 track days and rear pads every 7-8 track days running at the instructor level. So based on your estimated track use running at that pace you will be comsuming between 1-2x sets of front pads and around 1x set of rear pads per year, if you run at a slower pace obviously wear will be less.

As far as rotor life is concerned assume about 6-7x pad sets for the fronts and 8-9 pad sets for the rears before they hit min weight. So you should get about 3-4 years of tracking out of the front rotors and roughly 5-6 years out of the rears before needing to replace them which is a lot for a rotor and is realistically not very bad wear. Are the pads more expensive than the Centric pads you mentioned, yes but also get way, way better brakes and honestly if you are not cooking those low cost street oriented centric pads on track then you probably are not taxing your braking system very hard so the wear numbers I quoted above will more than likely be significantly lower.
Awesome info... Any word on the specific cost of rotors/pads?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Werks
Drifting

I know that the fronts pads are the same as what we use on the C6Z/ZR1 which cost about $380 the only difference being a longer wear sensor wire which I believe bumped the price up $200 for the C7Z specifc part number "kit". With CCM you should never run the pads down to the wear sensor anyways so just change them when down to roughly the last 1/4 of the pad. That way you can also just re-use the wear sensor wires saving you some $. Not sure on rears yet as I do not know of anyone that has worn through their first set of pads yet.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:33 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Copied this from another forum. Not sure how that translates into ride quality but the shocks are stiffer as well. Seems like more than just the tires to me.

The front spring is 62% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.
The rear spring is 22% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6

I am taking maybe a slightly different approach, as i don't believe my Z06/Z07 will see the street much.

But if i were planning on even a few track days a year, THIS ^ is a must.....and i keep hearing the ride quality of the Z07 is fine. Will let you know in April when she comes in......
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM
DLC7
Drifting

I know that the fronts pads are the same as what we use on the C6Z/ZR1 which cost about $380 the only difference being a longer wear sensor wire which I believe bumped the price up $200 for the C7Z specifc part number "kit". With CCM you should never run the pads down to the wear sensor anyways so just change them when down to roughly the last 1/4 of the pad. That way you can also just re-use the wear sensor wires saving you some $. Not sure on rears yet as I do not know of anyone that has worn through their first set of pads yet.

I searched the forums and you tube. I think it might have been SBC_and_ a_Stick who ran at Holmstead, then elsewhere and reported that he was about due/was due for pads. maybe he will check in here.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:38 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

So like $580ish for front pads then?

I'd assume rears will probably be in the 400ish range then
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

So here is (hopefully a public?) wishlist that I made w/pads and rotors for the ZR1. Once AMZN has access to the parts for the new car, I can't imagine the pricing would be much different.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:09 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
So here is (hopefully a public?) wishlist that I made w/pads and rotors for the ZR1. Once AMZN has access to the parts for the new car, I can't imagine the pricing would be much different.

Uh-OH----BILLY couldnt find a link......didnt work....
Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DLC7
Uh-OH----BILLY couldnt find a link......didnt work....
Um... ? The word "here" in my previous post is a link. Click on it.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Um... ? The word "here" in my previous post is a link. Click on it.
When I clicked it, I got this...

"Something's wrong here...

Uh oh, Bitly couldn't find a link for the bitly URL you clicked.
Most Bitlinks are 4-6 characters, and only include letters and numbers (and are case sensitive)"

Either there's permissions issues or the link is wrong
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

When I clicked it, I got this...
Serves me right for trying to shorten the URL. This work?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
That works, spendy rotors

Thanks tho sir!

Get notified of new replies

To Standard Z06 vs Z07 package?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Hey JVP before you order rears double check the rear pad PN for the C7Zwith the dealer part numbers as you guys use a 10mm larger and 2mm thinner rear rotor, so I would think that those pad may also be different.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

you guys use a 10mm larger and 2mm thinner rear rotor, so I would think that those pad may also be different.
Right. My point was that if/when AMZN gets their hands on the Z06-specific rotors and pads, I don't expect them to be too terribly more than what our ZR1 rotors and pads cost. Thus the link as an example. Z06 folks should not purchase from that wish list.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Samas
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Forget the brakes, I want the fancy chair and bookcase!

Quick Reply: Standard Z06 vs Z07 package?