C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

500 mile oil change disaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default 500 mile oil change disaster

after NCM pick up, i had my oil changed at 496 miles in little rock Arkansas. in a short time after leaving, heading west on I40, i noticed the smell of oil. there was no oil smell during the drive from NCM to the chevy dealer.

initially, i thought they might have spilled some oil on a surface that gets hot, like a catalytic converter. the smell continued as i drove the rest of the way to CA. when i checked the oil, it was about 2" above the top of the maximum cross-hatched marks. there was no oil under the car for the 4 nights i left it parked while making my way home. most of the ground where i parked at the motels had fresh white snow. if there were any leaks, it would surely have showed in the snow.

the oil change receipt indicated 10 quarts of dexos synthetic. the oil smell seemed to coming out the exhaust rather than near the engine. it was especially noticeable when slowing since the air speed was too low to blow away the odor.

the dealer that did the oil change told me to take it to another dealer to have it checked. i did this in TX, near Dallas. they found nothing and then i asked them if being overfilled would cause the smell. they said they did not even notice that it was overfilled during the 2 hours they spent trying to find the problem. when i showed them how much it was overfilled, they offered to change the oil and filter again at a cost to me of about $140. i refused, saying it was in warranty, and they said since the oil was just changed, it would not be covered until the next change it due.

when i got it home, i pumped about 2 quarts out through the dipstick, which was something the dealer said they could not do. the smell is mostly gone now after another 100 miles. while i had it on my ramps, i checked the oil tank plug and the pan plug. the oil tank plug had some wrench marks on it, indicating that it had been removed. the pan oil plug had no wrench marks. i noticed when i went through the engine assembly area in BG that they had Teflon covered sockets so there were no wrench marks. i now think it is likely that the dealer only drained the dry sump tank and not the oil pan. they then filled it with 10 quarts since that is what the spec is.

this was a dealer that was selected because they had delivered multiple Z06's and had the tools and training necessary to service them. when i asked the dealer how a trained tech might have made this mistake, he said we don't use our higher paid techs for oil changes, only a non-tech oil change person.

i can only hope that no engine damage was done from this overfilling. the manual specifically states that under or over filling the engine oil will cause engine damage.

what does anyone familiar with a dry sump engine think the possibility is of engine damage due to overfilling.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 AM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

OMG!!! What a bunch of idiots!! I would make sure you document this in the event you have any issues down the road. I would also have someone's a$$ at that dealer. They have no business working on Vettes if they're going to pull some crap like that! A perfect example of why I do 90% of my own work. I trust no one to work on my cars. Way too many idiots out there.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Dude, I'm honestly not trying to come across the wrong way but why not take it to another dealer or aftermarket shop and anally watch them drain and change the oil to the correct specifications?

Last edited by mark1107; 03-17-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear this OP.

If the oil was overfilled by as much as you say, it's likely that some oil came out the top of the sump tank through the burp line into the intake tube. It's possible this could also cause the smell if it got into your air filter/air box.

I'd take a look by removing the intake tube and checking for oil. Clean it out if it does and see if the air filter was contaminated. Replace that too if it was. I'd avoid any hard driving until you check this.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Dealership FAILs on such a simple task as changing the oil never cease to amaze me.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Take the Air box off and check that, early C7 Stingrays were overfilled from the factory and had oil in the air box.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Sounds like the average oil change trip at a Chevy dealer.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:46 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Smh. Idiot dealer!!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
after NCM pick up, i had my oil changed at 496 miles in little rock Arkansas. in a short time after leaving, heading west on I40, i noticed the smell of oil. there was no oil smell during the drive from NCM to the chevy dealer.

initially, i thought they might have spilled some oil on a surface that gets hot, like a catalytic converter. the smell continued as i drove the rest of the way to CA. when i checked the oil, it was about 2" above the top of the maximum cross-hatched marks. there was no oil under the car for the 4 nights i left it parked while making my way home. most of the ground where i parked at the motels had fresh white snow. if there were any leaks, it would surely have showed in the snow.

the oil change receipt indicated 10 quarts of dexos synthetic. the oil smell seemed to coming out the exhaust rather than near the engine. it was especially noticeable when slowing since the air speed was too low to blow away the odor.

the dealer that did the oil change told me to take it to another dealer to have it checked. i did this in TX, near Dallas. they found nothing and then i asked them if being overfilled would cause the smell. they said they did not even notice that it was overfilled during the 2 hours they spent trying to find the problem. when i showed them how much it was overfilled, they offered to change the oil and filter again at a cost to me of about $140. i refused, saying it was in warranty, and they said since the oil was just changed, it would not be covered until the next change it due.

when i got it home, i pumped about 2 quarts out through the dipstick, which was something the dealer said they could not do. the smell is mostly gone now after another 100 miles. while i had it on my ramps, i checked the oil tank plug and the pan plug. the oil tank plug had some wrench marks on it, indicating that it had been removed. the pan oil plug had no wrench marks. i noticed when i went through the engine assembly area in BG that they had Teflon covered sockets so there were no wrench marks. i now think it is likely that the dealer only drained the dry sump tank and not the oil pan. they then filled it with 10 quarts since that is what the spec is.

this was a dealer that was selected because they had delivered multiple Z06's and had the tools and training necessary to service them. when i asked the dealer how a trained tech might have made this mistake, he said we don't use our higher paid techs for oil changes, only a non-tech oil change person.

i can only hope that no engine damage was done from this overfilling. the manual specifically states that under or over filling the engine oil will cause engine damage.

what does anyone familiar with a dry sump engine think the possibility is of engine damage due to overfilling.
I'd go back and kick his *** into the distant future. What an ***. Next they'll have the car wash guy changing oil!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1107
Dude, I'm honestly not trying to come across the wrong way but why not take it to another dealer or aftermarket shop and anally watch them drain and change the oil to the correct specifications? I mean you got a 100k car spend 100 bucks and have it done right versus "pumping two quarts out the the dipstick" ? Wtf? If you saw it was overfilled why not do it immediately instead of continuing to drive it?
A little harsh, but right on the money. I would not have driven that car 1 foot after taking it to the second dealer, paid him the $140 dollars to change the oil, kept the receipt and ask the first dealer for a refund. If they refuse, plaster the name of the first dealer all over the forum.

Why spend $100k on a car, then refuse to spend $140 only to complain later you may have engine damage?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM
flachsbarth
Advanced

Originally Posted by mark1107
Dude, I'm honestly not trying to come across the wrong way but why not take it to another dealer or aftermarket shop and anally watch them drain and change the oil to the correct specifications? I mean you got a 100k car spend 100 bucks and have it done right versus "pumping two quarts out the the dipstick" ? Wtf? If you saw it was overfilled why not do it immediately instead of continuing to drive it?
"Dude", you obviously didn't read the original post, so yes, you did "come across the wrong way". He was on the road, so didn't have the luxury of taking it to another dealer, and an "aftermarket shop" would likely not have performed the free 500 mile service. And "wtf"? Most service departments do not permit you to stand under the lift in their service bays to look over their techs' shoulders while they perform maintenance functions. I agree with others that these dealers need to have better educated service techs with these cars, but when you are traveling, you have little choice when you need service.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by flachsbarth
"Dude", you obviously didn't read the original post, so yes, you did "come across the wrong way". He was on the road, so didn't have the luxury of taking it to another dealer, and an "aftermarket shop" would likely not have performed the free 500 mile service. And "wtf"? Most service departments do not permit you to stand under the lift in their service bays to look over their techs' shoulders while they perform maintenance functions. I agree with others that these dealers need to have better educated service techs with these cars, but when you are traveling, you have little choice when you need service.
He did take it to another dealer on the way home. Dallas.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Common dealership problem when the C6 Z06 came out. Some dealers changing oil would add oil to the rocker cover cap (which isn't meant to be opened) instead of the dry sump tank. Then the wizards couldn't figure out why the dip stick was still dry so they would continue to add oil until the motor hydrolocked. Apparently, almost 10 years later, dry sump systems are still a mystery to them.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lol.

Last edited by mark1107; 03-17-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

As long as you weren't doing extended, high revs, overfill shouldn't hurt anything.

If running at high RPM, on an over fill, you will whip air into the oil, making an oil froth, that doesn't pump or lubricate well as you lose pressure from an air/oil mix.

That is what happens from an over filled wet sump, I would expect the same issues if you have a wet (by over fill), dry sump situation as high RPM.

Doug
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish, if I'm reading this post correctly. You mean to say you realized it was over filled in Dallas and because that dealer would not do it for free as it was under warranty( which I think any dealer worth his salt, should have done no charge) as you explained, you elected to drive from Dallas to Calif, rather than just pay for the $140 oil change and worry about getting it back maybe from GM later on. If that is the case, my hat is off to you for achieving another bench mark in the super thrifty crowd Hall of Fame.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Dealership FAILs on such a simple task as changing the oil never cease to amaze me.
Dealerships fail on all levels. Other threads talk about dealers not knowing they are suppose to change the oil at 500 miles and to ONLY use Mobil1 oil on Corvettes, along with not knowing there that there is a notice from GM to ALL dealers about cracks in the Corvette's tires.

The consumer should not have to do the leg work required to inform to the dealer about anything. The dealer should pickup their phone, call GM and find out what the hell is going on, if the dealer doesn't know what the hell is going on(when the consumer has a question).

Get notified of new replies

To 500 mile oil change disaster

Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I would turn that dealer into GM. They have no business working on cars.

Michael
Old 03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i would take it into a dealer let them know another dealer overfilled the oil and have them do an inspection, i'd bet green money you have oil in your intake, throttle body, and blower. that issue came up several times with the ZR1. this should be done under warranty if not then pay out of pocket and then call GM customer service and request a refund.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

People need to learn how to do it themselves and avoid these monkeys that can't handle a simple task.

Sorry to hear, hope it's ok

Quick Reply: 500 mile oil change disaster