C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First 72 hours in A8. Some observations/bitching

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First 72 hours in A8. Some observations/bitching

At a high level, I love the car. Looks awesome and drives great. Hard to approach the limits on the streets, but I'm sure it will be a blast on track. That said, it's not perfect. I'm just sharing some of my initial impressions of some details.

In random order.

1. Holy Cr*p, the exhaust is loud. When it opens up, it is really jarring. Plus, the bark/bite ratio is a bit off: at mid throttle it sounds super aggressive but isn't really putting down much power. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Thank God for Stealth mode for DD use. I doubt the car can be driven WOT past the sound booth at Laguna.

2. I like the driving modes, but wish I had DIRECT control over the parameters. In the BMW M cars, you can adjust the shocks, throttle response, shift program, steering weight INDIVIDUALLY. I'm still figuring out the mapping between "T" and "S," the various "Tr" settings and the underlying parameters. I wish I could customize what it means to be in "S" mode, for example. I like the soft suspension of "T" (tour") mode, but the super light steering wheel makes me uncomfortable-- I'd like to change that.

3. Infotainment system/screen feels like "last generation." When entering addresses in the Nav, it can't keep up with my typing. Feels like underinvestment in the hardware and software/design. the speedo digital display is SOOOOO much slicker than the Nav/InfoTainment system that they feel weird being together in same car.

4. Backup camera is ugly SD. I'm pretty sure my 2012 Volt had an HD rear camera-- there has to be a better one in the parts bin

5. Passenger Airbag light: should only light up if there is a person in the seat AND the person is light enough to disable the airbag. This light never goes off-- but with a grown up it reports that the airbag is on. Duh.

6. Red and Blue Onstar lights in rearview mirror. WTH? Apparently can't be turned off. Spent the first few hours of night driving twitching because I constantly thought a cop had just turned on his lights. Who approved this design? I'm wondering now if my brain will filter out REAL cops in the future.

7. The twisty thing to select driving modes takes getting used to. You really have to crank that thing. And the hidden Track settings are a bit weird. Plus, I'm still not sure if the Track sub-modes are "sticky"-- there isn't any indication of sub mode on the display and when you switch from "S" to "Tr" the next time does it revert to prior settings? It always seems to start on "Wet" in submenus.

8. Ride height: Looks way too high, but I worry about scraping. Will ask dealer to check.

9. Even when in manual mode, doesn't feel like manual. I did a long spirited drive, mostly in 3rd gear (Manual mode) in "S." I've never had a slush box performance car, so maybe par for course. Dual-clutch cars mostly feel like stick shift in single gear driving. Not the A8. The throttle response seems a bit odd. On throttle lift, the engine braking is not very linear in general and it comes in two stages-- first slowing more quickly and then more slowly (TQ converter unlocking? I don't know how this stuff works). On the flip side, when trying to roll back on the throttle, there's a definitely lag/slowness until a certain throttle input and then the car clunks a little and starts being more responsive. I'm not sure if this is "software" trying to make the car drive smoother but doing the opposite on fast backroads of if inherent in the A8 system. In either case, I don't like it much. Again, maybe just will take some getting used to. I should probably use Track mode, where the throttle response seems more direct-- but I wanted the nannies on while I learn the car.

10. HUD. More like Heads DOWN Display. The HUD positioning is so low that it almost touches the hood in my line of sight. I know it can be adjusted, but the max height is still quite low compared to other HUD cars. On the plus side: you can see the HUD with polarized sunglasses! Yeah! Not the case in the M5, for example.

11. PDR: As I've noted before: video quality is poor, mostly due to bad color calibration and exposure settings. Embarrassing.

12. That "new car smell" is dominated by STRONG smell of curing adhesives instead of rich corinthian leather. Was it put together with liquid nails?

13. Shuddering on approaching complete stop. In "D" mode when approaching a stop and are feathering the brake (like at a stop sign when you are coming to stop as the car in front goes, so instead you release the brake to roll forward then re-apply brake to actually stop), the car seems to get confused. It shudders as it decides whether the driver wants to be in "creep forward" mode or "come to full stop" mode. Reminds me of the SMG (pre-DCT) M3 (E46). Not a biggie, just a bit unrefined.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisN123:
pdiddy972 (12-26-2015), Rodbuster56 (12-23-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 PM
CharlieK1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
At a high level, I love the car. Looks awesome and drives great. Hard to approach the limits on the streets, but I'm sure it will be a blast on track. That said, it's not perfect. I'm just sharing some of my initial impressions of some details.

In random order.

1. Holy Cr*p, the exhaust is loud. When it opens up, it is really jarring. Plus, the bark/bite ratio is a bit off: at mid throttle it sounds super aggressive but isn't really putting down much power. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Thank God for Stealth mode for DD use. I doubt the car can be driven WOT past the sound booth at Laguna.

2. I like the driving modes, but wish I had DIRECT control over the parameters. In the BMW M cars, you can adjust the shocks, throttle response, shift program, steering weight INDIVIDUALLY. I'm still figuring out the mapping between "T" and "S," the various "Tr" settings and the underlying parameters. I wish I could customize what it means to be in "S" mode, for example. I like the soft suspension of "T" (tour") mode, but the super light steering wheel makes me uncomfortable-- I'd like to change that.

3. Infotainment system/screen feels like "last generation." When entering addresses in the Nav, it can't keep up with my typing. Feels like underinvestment in the hardware and software/design. the speedo digital display is SOOOOO much slicker than the Nav/InfoTainment system that they feel weird being together in same car.

4. Backup camera is ugly SD. I'm pretty sure my 2012 Volt had an HD rear camera-- there has to be a better one in the parts bin

5. Passenger Airbag light: should only light up if there is a person in the seat AND the person is light enough to disable the airbag. This light never goes off-- but with a grown up it reports that the airbag is on. Duh.

6. Red and Blue Onstar lights in rearview mirror. WTH? Apparently can't be turned off. Spent the first few hours of night driving twitching because I constantly thought a cop had just turned on his lights. Who approved this design? I'm wondering now if my brain will filter out REAL cops in the future.

7. The twisty thing to select driving modes takes getting used to. You really have to crank that thing. And the hidden Track settings are a bit weird. Plus, I'm still not sure if the Track sub-modes are "sticky"-- there isn't any indication of sub mode on the display and when you switch from "S" to "Tr" the next time does it revert to prior settings? It always seems to start on "Wet" in submenus.

8. Ride height: Looks way too high, but I worry about scraping. Will ask dealer to check.

9. Even when in manual mode, doesn't feel like manual. I did a long spirited drive, mostly in 3rd gear (Manual mode) in "S." I've never had a slush box performance car, so maybe par for course. Dual-clutch cars mostly feel like stick shift in single gear driving. Not the A8. The throttle response seems a bit odd. On throttle lift, the engine braking is not very linear in general and it comes in two stages-- first slowing more quickly and then more slowly (TQ converter unlocking? I don't know how this stuff works). On the flip side, when trying to roll back on the throttle, there's a definitely lag/slowness until a certain throttle input and then the car clunks a little and starts being more responsive. I'm not sure if this is "software" trying to make the car drive smoother but doing the opposite on fast backroads of if inherent in the A8 system. In either case, I don't like it much. Again, maybe just will take some getting used to. I should probably use Track mode, where the throttle response seems more direct-- but I wanted the nannies on while I learn the car.

10. HUD. More like Heads DOWN Display. The HUD positioning is so low that it almost touches the hood in my line of sight. I know it can be adjusted, but the max height is still quite low compared to other HUD cars. On the plus side: you can see the HUD with polarized sunglasses! Yeah! Not the case in the M5, for example.

11. PDR: As I've noted before: video quality is poor, mostly due to bad color calibration and exposure settings. Embarrassing.

12. That "new car smell" is dominated by STRONG smell of curing adhesives instead of rich corinthian leather. Was it put together with liquid nails?

13. Shuddering on approaching complete stop. In "D" mode when approaching a stop and are feathering the brake (like at a stop sign when you are coming to stop as the car in front goes, so instead you release the brake to roll forward then re-apply brake to actually stop), the car seems to get confused. It shudders as it decides whether the driver wants to be in "creep forward" mode or "come to full stop" mode. Reminds me of the SMG (pre-DCT) M3 (E46). Not a biggie, just a bit unrefined.
Jesus ....I had to stop reading!!! Your friggin nuts..... !!! Sell the car!!! You don't deserve it if that's your take......
The following users liked this post:
faster68 (12-26-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Haha. I called the thread "bitching." I did not expect perfection and am not disappointed. In the two most important areas: How does it look? and How does it Drive? the car has exceeded my expectations (especially in looks-- it is just awesome in person-- so much better looking than the Stingray which is already stunning).

That said, a few minor design details seem wrong-headed to me. That's all.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK1
Jesus ....I had to stop reading!!! Your friggin nuts..... !!! Sell the car!!! You don't deserve it if that's your take......

Maybe the car is not for you, or maybe it will just take some getting use to
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why can't someone post their honest opinions about their car without being attacked as "undeserving" or "maybe the car is not for you"???
The following 3 users liked this post by Stage7:
Crossofiron (12-31-2015), rico750sxi (12-28-2015), Rodbuster56 (12-23-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
Why can't someone post their honest opinions about their car without being attacked as "undeserving" or "maybe the car is not for you"???
I wasn't attacking. If I bought a car and had a long list of things i hated about it, I would tell MYSELF that maybe the car wasn't for me! I didn't argue with or try to explain away his concerns, not everyone is going to love the ZO6.
The following users liked this post:
Jus Cruisin (12-24-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM
285ferrari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In random order.

Well read, I agree with numerous things you have posted also. It is a great car, but it seems for the cost alot of those "little" things could of been addressed by Chevrolet..
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

In random order.

Instead of criticizing you I want to say "thanks." I am waiting the production of my A8 and this really helps set my expectations. This will be my first Corvette after years on the Ford side so I very familiar with "Ford-specific" issues and not those of GM.

I am a picky driver and I am sure I will notice most of what you posted. I know it won't outweigh the fun factor but it is nice to know what others are noticing. For some $30k less than a dual clutch M6, I am willing to accept some insufficiencies.

Much appreciated...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 PM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. Thanks!

Btw are the backup camera lines dynamic or are they always straight lines?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Originally Posted by Cbjorgol
Great post. Thanks!

Btw are the backup camera lines dynamic or are they always straight lines?
Dynamic. But low-res. :-)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 PM
myBailey07
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I agree with almost all...

Not being to adjust the performance settings individually is messed up. (Except steering mode and exhaust which you can in the settings). Wish there was something like the BMW M mode where you can set everything at your desired setting.

Rest is pretty much spot on as well...not bad overall, just things that would have been easy to fix to much improve driver experience.

Originally Posted by BradT
Instead of criticizing you I want to say "thanks." I am waiting the production of my A8 and this really helps set my expectations. This will be my first Corvette after years on the Ford side so I very familiar with "Ford-specific" issues and not those of GM.

I am a picky driver and I am sure I will notice most of what you posted. I know it won't outweigh the fun factor but it is nice to know what others are noticing. For some $30k less than a dual clutch M6, I am willing to accept some insufficiencies.

Much appreciated...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

For #2:

On the steering, by default it's 'locked' to the driving mode dial. You can override that to be in your desired mode all the time independent of driving mode.

Center display: Settings (gears) -> Driving Mode -> Steering

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Originally Posted by xp800
For #2:

On the steering, by default it's 'locked' to the driving mode dial. You can override that to be in your desired mode all the time independent of driving mode.

Center display: Settings (gears) -> Driving Mode -> Steering
Thanks! I noticed the exhaust but not steering override.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the C5 and C6 Z06, you could adjust the HUD up or down, and I believe side to side as well. The adjustment **** (for lack of a better term) was on the left hand side of the dash near the headlight switches. I could also adjust the brightness.

Last edited by beden1; 03-18-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
Excellent question.

It's one thing for trolls and haters with no first-hand experience to whine about nonexistent or exaggerated glitches and spawn pages of speculation in a vacuum. It's quite another for a real owner to drive his real Z06, try out all the systems, and suggest how it could be better or wonder why [name something they liked from a previous car] didn't find its way into the Z06. We can use that, and GM can use it to improve the product.

OP, so glad you have a great car all ready for a great summer! Those things you don't like, if you give them a chance, might turn out to be tolerable or even sensible. Especially that exhaust; it could be addictive in the right dosage.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
In the C5 and C6 Z06, you could adjust the HUD up or down, and I believe side to side as well. The adjustment **** (for lack of a better term) was on the left hand side of the dash near the light switches. I could also adjust the brightness.
The C7 HUD is in color, more discernable in daylight, appears more centered than the C6, and both are conveniently located on the left hand side of the dash.

The first button adjusts up and down position, the 2nd button adjusts the modes (which can match your driver modes or can be configured differently), and the third button adjusts the brightness of the display.

Neither display can be adjusted laterally. The C7 HUD is better in all features of the C6 HUD.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kingspoke; 03-18-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: type o
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 PM
PureFit
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I appreciated the response. Its his opinion. If you don't like it, why comment? Better yet, stop reading it. He is giving HIS opinion, and in detail. Why are some of you so quick to attack? Maybe some of his feedback is legit. Maybe these are real concerns.

Thank you for your opinion. I have a C6Z06 and I appreciate the information.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To First 72 hours in A8. Some observations/bitching

Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 PM
CharlieK1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK ... I might have jumped off a bit!!!.. for that I apologize ... most of this was on the 14' C7 and the M7 has been out.... so these all could have been investigated before??? I guess what got me was the comparision to a Chevy Volt.... was a rough day BUT you guy's are right a customer has every right to bitch about what he does not like about something he owns.....Charlie Z06/Z07 SG, gray wheels, hood stinger, dual roofs, kahalari, black mirrors ... built..in transit
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

I guess what got me was the comparision to a Chevy Volt.... was a rough day

You knocking the Volt? Was an amazing car for its time (and, post subsidies, the price)! Now I have a BMW i3 for my "car pool lane" car, which I think is faster off the line (no joke) than the Z06 (from about 0-20MPH).

Anyway, I've learned to love lots of different cars, but haven't yet found perfection.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks Chris, very observant. I too have had my A8 for about 1000 miles and a week now. Drove it back from NCM. I understand your thoughts and I too am figuring it all out still. I've never had an automatic performance car, so this whole Mode-vs-shifting etc is puzzling. I truly think it is US, and not the car that is the problem with much of your comments. I do believe the engineers know more that us and there is a reason why the have so many modes......to help us, BUT, like anything it takes some hands on experimenting and learning. remember your first smart phone? How smart were you the first few hours with it.....but now!!! I'm all in for the full experience and hopefully arriving at top of the arch of the learning curve on day. I'm thinking after a few track days.
I do like how the engine behaves when I'm a little late w the paddle and hit the rev limiter....delayed, but not abrupt.
Hang in ther and please post any thought you might have, right, wrong or indifferent, I'm sort them out.

Doug

Quick Reply: First 72 hours in A8. Some observations/bitching