C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My 700 mile report. The good, the bad and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Default My 700 mile report. The good, the bad and the ugly

Backstory-

I've owned seven (man, never thought I'd be able to say that) Corvettes, from the C4 (2) to the C7 (2 now as well). When the 2014 Corvette debuted I was like many that were crying about the backend, it started to grow on me but once the wide booty Z was revealed I was in love... Then when I found out the horsepower and torque rating I was lusting haha. The price was released and it was right where I needed it to be for me to be able to get one. My base Stingray was my first brand new Corvette, I told myself I bought it so I could try the A8 tranny before I commit to the Z06, but I was really worried that I would not be able to get an auto allocation until well into the '16 model year. I had been in touch with a few and in January a 'local' Texas dealer said I could order one and the rest.... Is history!

The good-

*Exhaust. I think my favorite surprise so far is the exhaust. It is louder and 'angrier' than I thought it would be. I love it!

*Fuel mileage. Of course with 650/650 it has power for days, but I am impressed so far with the fuel mileage. In manual mode keeping it out of four cylinder and constantly varying rpm during break-in I still got 18+ manually calculating. Once I broke 500 I let the car do it's thing and have a best 50 mile average of 26.6 so far.

*Audio. The 1LZ stereo is not a disappointment. Coming from the 2LT in the Stingray I had planned for an audio upgrade but I really don't know if if needs one, I definitely can hold out a bit. In my opinion it is louder and cleaner than the Bose system although obviously missing some very lowend without a subwoofer.

The bad and the ugly-

*Orange peel. Way too much for a 80k+ car. Very disappointed in that. I looked at other Vettes in the showroom (and at a different dealer where I got my oil changed) and they all have it, and all seemed just as bad, the lighter colors hide it better but if you are looking for it there is no doubt it is there.

*Seats. They are comfortable but the fit and finish of materials is lacking. I would maybe suggest getting the micro sueded inserts because the seats in my Stingray were perfect. The Z has wrinkles and looks rather cheap because of that to be honest.

*Strange noise. I have a whining/whirring coming from the rear. It is not loud but it is annoying. Pitch sounds like an electric fuel pump but it changes with the speed of the car. I am thinking its the differential. I reported it at my oil change yesterday but of course there were no known issues and was told to just 'keep an eye on it'.

*Creaking top. Well, it is more like a popping top. Sounds like its flexing a bit when going over certain roads. Not all the time but I do know that my Stingray was dead quiet.

*Rock chips. Alright, so this might just be the nature of the beast, but, my C6Z had wide hips and I don't recall them taking the beating that the C7Z takes. 385 miles home from the dealership and there were dozens of hits on the front of the rear fenders. Two chips in the paint and the carbon flash 'insert' for the rear brake cooling seem to take the bulk of the attack, no actual chips there but impact marks all over them. Maybe the stage 2/3 rocker moldings help but I can't believe GM didn't design something to keep this from happening (and include it with the car).

The rest of the story-

I do love the car, don't get me wrong. Love it love it love it!!! It took all of nine miles on the odometer (six if you count the three my car was delivered with) to get a thumbs up on the way home Even though it is the never popular Night Race Blue I have received nothing but compliments. Car has been mistaken for black, carbon flash, cyber grey and purple already, pics absolutely do not do this color justice.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Congrats.

Mine is NRB as well. Love the color. You might consider the state 2/3 rocker extensions and GM accessory splash guards - those do seem to offer some protection from stone chips.

I got lucky with limited peel and good seats on mine. I think the seat issue is fairly rare; most that I've seen look great. Dealer should re-skin them under warranty for you. On the paint - it's a crap shoot. Some come out fine, others less so.

You'll love the new Z. It is an absolute hoot to drive.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 AM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car!! You are right pics don't do the NRB any justice. My buddy has the same car as you and in the sun it's beautiful!! As far as the issues.... my paint is ok i guess. It's white so the peel doesn't stand out as much. I drove my car 240 miles home from dealer and got lucky with really no chips..Did hit a piece of rubber a car hit in front of me tho. Thought it blew the splitter off!!! I clay bar'd it when I got home and the scuff was gone. Got xpel done right away. My roof creeks a little too. But all in all I love the car!! Best of luck with it!! Enjoy!!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats on the car and thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:45 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Backstory-

I've owned seven (man, never thought I'd be able to say that) Corvettes, from the C4 (2) to the C7 (2 now as well). When the 2014 Corvette debuted I was like many that were crying about the backend, it started to grow on me but once the wide booty Z was revealed I was in love... Then when I found out the horsepower and torque rating I was lusting haha. The price was released and it was right where I needed it to be for me to be able to get one. My base Stingray was my first brand new Corvette, I told myself I bought it so I could try the A8 tranny before I commit to the Z06, but I was really worried that I would not be able to get an auto allocation until well into the '16 model year. I had been in touch with a few and in January a 'local' Texas dealer said I could order one and the rest.... Is history!

The good-

*Exhaust. I think my favorite surprise so far is the exhaust. It is louder and 'angrier' than I thought it would be. I love it!

*Fuel mileage. Of course with 650/650 it has power for days, but I am impressed so far with the fuel mileage. In manual mode keeping it out of four cylinder and constantly varying rpm during break-in I still got 18+ manually calculating. Once I broke 500 I let the car do it's thing and have a best 50 mile average of 26.6 so far.

*Audio. The 1LZ stereo is not a disappointment. Coming from the 2LT in the Stingray I had planned for an audio upgrade but I really don't know if if needs one, I definitely can hold out a bit. In my opinion it is louder and cleaner than the Bose system although obviously missing some very lowend without a subwoofer.

The bad and the ugly-

*Orange peel. Way too much for a 80k+ car. Very disappointed in that. I looked at other Vettes in the showroom (and at a different dealer where I got my oil changed) and they all have it, and all seemed just as bad, the lighter colors hide it better but if you are looking for it there is no doubt it is there.

*Seats. They are comfortable but the fit and finish of materials is lacking. I would maybe suggest getting the micro sueded inserts because the seats in my Stingray were perfect. The Z has wrinkles and looks rather cheap because of that to be honest.

*Strange noise. I have a whining/whirring coming from the rear. It is not loud but it is annoying. Pitch sounds like an electric fuel pump but it changes with the speed of the car. I am thinking its the differential. I reported it at my oil change yesterday but of course there were no known issues and was told to just 'keep an eye on it'.

*Creaking top. Well, it is more like a popping top. Sounds like its flexing a bit when going over certain roads. Not all the time but I do know that my Stingray was dead quiet.

*Rock chips. Alright, so this might just be the nature of the beast, but, my C6Z had wide hips and I don't recall them taking the beating that the C7Z takes. 385 miles home from the dealership and there were dozens of hits on the front of the rear fenders. Two chips in the paint and the carbon flash 'insert' for the rear brake cooling seem to take the bulk of the attack, no actual chips there but impact marks all over them. Maybe the stage 2/3 rocker moldings help but I can't believe GM didn't design something to keep this from happening (and include it with the car).

The rest of the story-

I do love the car, don't get me wrong. Love it love it love it!!! It took all of nine miles on the odometer (six if you count the three my car was delivered with) to get a thumbs up on the way home Even though it is the never popular Night Race Blue I have received nothing but compliments. Car has been mistaken for black, carbon flash, cyber grey and purple already, pics absolutely do not do this color justice.

there is a thread that help to take care of the creaking in the targa top.some rubber washers from Home depot seem to do the trick.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Congratulations man! Post up some NRB pics please....
Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Backstory-

The good-

The bad and the ugly-

The rest of the story-

Kinda funny but AFTER ALL the hubbub Not much progress on some thing's from the C6. Mines here this week. Hoping my paint is top notch Then I got the seats. After seeing the GT seats the comps are miles better.
My stingray had creaks like mad from the interior sides rear below the side windows.
That said This car will be a knock out.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-29-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

the NRB makes it more unique. part of the reason i chose BS is that it wasn't a top color choice.

the rear diff and top noises are not normal. dealers usually say "no problem found" to these requests for repair. they spend almost no time trying to find these problems and bill chevy for a couple of hours.

the C6 had so many complaints above the top "creaking" that they finally issued a fix and a TSB.

if you have the time, keep taking it back for the same problems and after a few failed attempts, ask to have a field rep get involved.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

RE creaking popping top, have you had it off the car yet? I have not removed mine yet since delivery and it is absolutely quiet with no issues whatsoever. Wonder if removing and re-installing could be part of the problem? I am pretty pleased with paint on my Shark Grey car. Minimal orange peel, and so far at 900 miles not a single complaint. Beautiful color on your car!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

My top is quiet as a mouse as well and it hasn't been off. I'm not a top off guy, so assuming it stays quiet I doubt I'll ever pull it off. Got used to the fixed roofs on my C6Z and C6 ZR, and we have a convertible in the stable to scratch that itch.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default My 700 mile report. The good, the bad and the ugly

Lots of threads on the creaking roof. Very simple and quick fix. I believe it's called dielectric grease and solved the issue on all my Vettes (including C7)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't notice any noise until after I removed the top for the first time.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
the NRB makes it more unique. part of the reason i chose BS is that it wasn't a top color choice.

the rear diff and top noises are not normal. dealers usually say "no problem found" to these requests for repair. they spend almost no time trying to find these problems and bill chevy for a couple of hours.

the C6 had so many complaints above the top "creaking" that they finally issued a fix and a TSB.

if you have the time, keep taking it back for the same problems and after a few failed attempts, ask to have a field rep get involved.
Lots of people like Silver Corvette's and only like 5 percent or less silver bodes well everyone will have SG red white or Black even yellow is much more common. So glad I bought Silver too! Plus it is my favorite when I have a choice.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Alaska SS
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write-ups...thanks for sharing.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The good-

Nearly 27mpg?! Wow.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 AM
0TPR
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

My C7Z beats the crap out of me. I have a 2014 GTR as well and I thought that car was rough.
Interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
Lots of threads on the creaking roof. Very simple and quick fix. I believe it's called dielectric grease and solved the issue on all my Vettes (including C7)
I've even used a much thinner silicone spray or even WD40 and had success but the dielectric grease is probably best.
The key is to put some of it everywhere/anywhere that two hard plastic and/or metal surfaces happen to touch once the roof is installed.
Sometimes even just taking the roof off again and putting it back on can solve it but I would use the grease either way.

Get notified of new replies

To My 700 mile report. The good, the bad and the ugly

Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Always pleased..

to see a real review. most folks i know with a c7 NEVER mention any issues-ever.

always a little surprised how accepting owners are after paying what they do for their cars. REALLY surprised when any owner dares to relate a negative and gets bashed.

as i've posted before: there is NO excuse for a poor paint job IN THIS DAY AND AGE with the small number of cars involved.

still a GREAT car for the money, but no excuse for poor quality control.
sadly, just as they correct most of the issues over the next years the
c8 will arrive and the cycle may begin again.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I think I am most concerned about the whining from the rear being potentially a warranty issue. Again it is not very loud so with a little radio or the exhaust open it isn't noticeable, but, I know it is there, and I don't think it should be.....

The top noise is disappointing and I have not had it off yet. My base Stingray was on the showroom floor with the top off and I never heard a squeak or pop once while driving it. I remember thinking man, these C7 ARE stiffer . I will try all the recommendations and as luck would have it I just threw out the dielectric grease I had (for my C5 and C6) thinking I wouldn't need it

Car is a blast to drive and even with the issues I have nothing but smiles!

Anyone else with an A8 (or M7 for that matter) notice how little the V4 comes on? I notice it to be more active in town (and it is still not a lot). On the highway it only seems to be active going downhill. Why even have the darn thing??
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Orange peel is still one of the number one problems for me. Just saw a new shark grey vert at a dealer and the orange peel was very visible on the rear panels. Unless people start refusing delivery on this I can't see the factory doing much about it. Quality control has to be enforced on this product because if they let bad paint jobs leave the factory what other problems are they ignoring ?

Quick Reply: My 700 mile report. The good, the bad and the ugly