C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 Curb Alert install (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 PM
dsharkman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7 Z06 Curb Alert install (with pictures)

I took by Z06 to Audiofonixx (www.audiofonixx.com) in Irvine, CA for the Curb Alert install. They did a FANTASTIC job! Not only did they NOT have to do any modifications to the front end (i.e removal or drilling of the grill), but they placed the Curb Alert unit so it is practically flush (and hidden) from view.

Check out the pix.

For the interior, they mounted the speaker on the left side under the dash so it is totally out of the way, yet still reachable if I choose to turn off the beeping.

I am VERY pleased!
Attached Images      
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Freedom 650
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice! Mind if I ask the cost? (Parts and Labor)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 PM
bryanh99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nice neat install. I want to install one of these as well, but I have a question. That sensor is almost 12" from the ground. Will it actually work well to detect a 4-8 inch curb? It would seem to me that is needs to be a LOT lower. On the video from the manufacture they mount the sensor under the splitter. From there I can see how it could detect the curb, but from 12" high?

Just asking.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
melford
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank god someone finally posted one of these! I've been wondering what the solution was going to be!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 PM
dsharkman
Instructor

Originally Posted by bryanh99
nice neat install. I want to install one of these as well, but I have a question. That sensor is almost 12" from the ground. Will it actually work well to detect a 4-8 inch curb? It would seem to me that is needs to be a LOT lower. On the video from the manufacture they mount the sensor under the splitter. From there I can see how it could detect the curb, but from 12" high?

Just asking.
Hi Bryan. They didn't install it under the splitter for 2 reasons:
1) I have the Stage 2 Aero kit on my Z06, which brings the front of the car much lower to the ground. And, for the splitter install, I want the entire underside of the front end smooth. The video I think you are referring to is for a Stingray with the stock splitter.

2) If you think about it, why would you mount it UNDER the car? If you drive over a speed bump too fast or if you drive over a piece of wood or tire on the road, it reduces your clearance and you can hit the curb alert sensor. I am not sure why they recommend mounting the unit UNDER the front of the car. Makes no sense.

They angled the unit so it picks up a curb approximately 3 inches in height. it works perfectly!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 PM
dsharkman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freedom 650
Very nice! Mind if I ask the cost? (Parts and Labor)
Freedom - the cost for the install and unit was about $400, out the door. I have used Audiofonixx many times for installs on my other Corvette. Whatever it costs, it's well worth the price! Very cheap insurance.

Last edited by dsharkman; 04-07-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Freedom 650
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsharkman
Freedom - the cost for the install and unit was about $400, out the door. I have used Audiofonixx many times for installs on my other Corvette. Whatever it costs, it's well worth the price! Very cheap insurance.
Thanks for the reply, I couldn't agree more! I'm definitely going to get one installed... especially if I ever let the wife drive it.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Best move is still to back in when possible. Curb alert is not 100% and there are times when I got stuff on my mind when it beeps and I've come close to a curb.

Got to train yourself not to depend on it and use it primarily as a backup double check.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 PM
bryanh99
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsharkman
Hi Bryan. They didn't install it under the splitter for 2 reasons:
1) I have the Stage 2 Aero kit on my Z06, which brings the front of the car much lower to the ground. And, for the splitter install, I want the entire underside of the front end smooth. The video I think you are referring to is for a Stingray with the stock splitter.

2) If you think about it, why would you mount it UNDER the car? If you drive over a speed bump too fast or if you drive over a piece of wood or tire on the road, it reduces your clearance and you can hit the curb alert sensor. I am not sure why they recommend mounting the unit UNDER the front of the car. Makes no sense.

They angled the unit so it picks up a curb approximately 3 inches in height. it works perfectly!

Thanks for the reply. I will be ordering my shortly and will mount it in the same place as yours and test it. And yes, I agree, UNDER the car is crazy

You can buy the unit for $150, so basically you paid $250 for the install?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM
bryanh99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Best move is still to back in when possible. Curb alert is not 100% and there are times when I got stuff on my mind when it beeps and I've come close to a curb.

Got to train yourself not to depend on it and use it primarily as a backup double check.
This is the only reason I haven't gotten it already - but it's great for when someone else is driving your car (valet, SO, etc)
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I mounted mine under Stage 2 aero as well. I've not had an issue with scraping it but it does beep when approach a steeper driveway or bump in the road. I might relocate to the grill though, after seeing this.

Works great though, right out of the box, no calibration needed.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

installed mine tonight. mounted the sensor in the grille like the other guy did. yes i know i thought it was too high. First time in my life that i admit i was wrong LOL. it works perfect. you might get a little frustrated when trying to calibrate the unit but when everything else fails read the directions.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Great for parking after a couple martini's!

Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

One word of caution. The curb alert reacts somewhat slowly. If you are pulling into a spot too quickly it is possible to arrive at the obstacle simultaneous with the alert.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM
nfran
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, the Curb Alert does not work at all if you're angle parking in a spot. Trust me I know from my former '13 C6 427
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Amen

Originally Posted by nfran
Also, the Curb Alert does not work at all if you're angle parking in a spot. Trust me I know from my former '13 C6 427
AMEN BROTHER!

Ditto on my 427! Center looked great, RF corner not so good.

Live and learn, Die and forget everything.

charles

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Curb Alert install (with pictures)

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Curb Alert install (with pictures)