C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First time on track with the new C7 Z06 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on 1.3 mile track

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 PM
sporttplus
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default First time on track with the new C7 Z06 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on 1.3 mile track

I'd like to report that ambient temps went up to the mid 70s, and there were NO overheating issues of any kind, NO power loss, just some good fashioned *** kickin'. Enjoy.

Last edited by sporttplus; 04-08-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fix link problem
Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by sporttplus
https://youtu.be/EmBoS2KHKL8

I'd like to report that ambient temps went up to the mid 70s, and there were NO overheating issues of any kind, NO power loss, just some good fashioned *** kickin'. Enjoy.
Good stuff!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Quite a twisty track for the Z.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:32 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Drove a Gallardo on that track. Great job
Old 04-09-2015, 04:28 PM
sporttplus
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
Quite a twisty track for the Z.
First off I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I have admittedly been a porsche guy for the last 5+ years, driving a 2009 911 carrera s cabriolet and a 2012 911 turbo S coupe. In that amount of time I've become a real "car guy" and road course enthusiast. After years of having pedestrian sedans and SUVs, I discovered that sports cars offered such a greater driving experience I've never gone back.

Now I've never been a fan of older corvettes. I know that might rub some the wrong way, but hey I'm being honest. The performance was great, but I hated the interiors of the recent past and the styling really didn't do it for me either.

The c7 styling may be controversial for many, but for me I thought it was stunningly beautiful, aggressive, modern, and exotic all at the same time. Some of its features are also very purposeful, and to me there is great beauty in its attempt to achieve that purpose. And the interior frankly is just as good to me as my turbo s (granted I went with the 3lz, comp seats and carbon dash).

As a track enthusiast, I wanted improve the things the turbo s lacked: 1. Take out the turbo lag 2. Improve the handling 3. Get rid of those stupid carbon brakes 4. Have more fun (ie manual transmission). Oh and the pdr is just icing. Even porsche couldn't come up that gem!!!

As for the new Z, I'd submit that all the R&D did not go into being a street racer or drag car. Yes, it has a monster engine. But when it first came out they said its top speed was only 186. My carrera s went faster than that. Now as a track person that told me one thing: that they sacrificed top speed for downforce. Again one has to understand the philosophical approach they took to design this thing to truly appreciate what they wanted to accomplish. For those who do track on road courses, we never reach the top speed of our cars, and we never really accelerate from 0 mph. I understand the marketing purpose of such metrics and why it needs to be reported.

What the Z does with brutal efficiency is DESTROY corners. The track day featured data analysis between runs and between different cars and drivers. I remember the mid corner speed on turn 1: 61 mph. Same as other cars on slicks that day. I was on street tires. That may not mean much to our street racing or drag racing enthusiasts. But to those who track get this: the suspension, front and rear track dimension, and tire width make the z06 almost UNFAIR to use on track. And I'm just scratching the surface here. What's going to happen when I put on racing slicks and optimize the toe and camber angles for track use?

I'd like to post this as I've read a lot of messages on this forum since the Z came out, and noticed people have been disappointed in a number of things. Most notably drag racing or overheating. To this point, I'd reiterate that the primary focus of this car is not as a drag racer. To me it's like saying Jerry Rice wasn't a great receiver because he's slower than Usain Bolt in a sprint. To those who want it for only that purpose I'll say that you're paying for a lot of extra stuff you don't need. But for those of us interested in its true strengths (ie braking, handling), I can't see many cars do it much better.

So it's a long winded way of saying: It's not too twisty for the Z. In fact, it's right at home here. Maybe more so than in other driving situations.

Ultimately, I love this car. I adore this car. I don't miss my turbo s, but if I ever have to give up this Z, I know I'll miss it.

Great to be part of the forum!

Sporttplus
Old 04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

First off I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I have admittedly been a porsche guy for the last 5+ years, driving a 2009 911 carrera s cabriolet and a 2012 911 turbo S coupe. In that amount of time I've become a real "car guy" and road course enthusiast. After years of having pedestrian sedans and SUVs, I discovered that sports cars offered such a greater driving experience I've never gone back.

Now I've never been a fan of older corvettes. I know that might rub some the wrong way, but hey I'm being honest. The performance was great, but I hated the interiors of the recent past and the styling really didn't do it for me either.

The c7 styling may be controversial for many, but for me I thought it was stunningly beautiful, aggressive, modern, and exotic all at the same time. Some of its features are also very purposeful, and to me there is great beauty in its attempt to achieve that purpose. And the interior frankly is just as good to me as my turbo s (granted I went with the 3lz, comp seats and carbon dash).

As a track enthusiast, I wanted improve the things the turbo s lacked: 1. Take out the turbo lag 2. Improve the handling 3. Get rid of those stupid carbon brakes 4. Have more fun (ie manual transmission). Oh and the pdr is just icing. Even porsche couldn't come up that gem!!!

As for the new Z, I'd submit that all the R&D did not go into being a street racer or drag car. Yes, it has a monster engine. But when it first came out they said its top speed was only 186. My carrera s went faster than that. Now as a track person that told me one thing: that they sacrificed top speed for downforce. Again one has to understand the philosophical approach they took to design this thing to truly appreciate what they wanted to accomplish. For those who do track on road courses, we never reach the top speed of our cars, and we never really accelerate from 0 mph. I understand the marketing purpose of such metrics and why it needs to be reported.

What the Z does with brutal efficiency is DESTROY corners. The track day featured data analysis between runs and between different cars and drivers. I remember the mid corner speed on turn 1: 61 mph. Same as other cars on slicks that day. I was on street tires. That may not mean much to our street racing or drag racing enthusiasts. But to those who track get this: the suspension, front and rear track dimension, and tire width make the z06 almost UNFAIR to use on track. And I'm just scratching the surface here. What's going to happen when I put on racing slicks and optimize the toe and camber angles for track use?

I'd like to post this as I've read a lot of messages on this forum since the Z came out, and noticed people have been disappointed in a number of things. Most notably drag racing or overheating. To this point, I'd reiterate that the primary focus of this car is not as a drag racer. To me it's like saying Jerry Rice wasn't a great receiver because he's slower than Usain Bolt in a sprint. To those who want it for only that purpose I'll say that you're paying for a lot of extra stuff you don't need. But for those of us interested in its true strengths (ie braking, handling), I can't see many cars do it much better.

So it's a long winded way of saying: It's not too twisty for the Z. In fact, it's right at home here. Maybe more so than in other driving situations.

Ultimately, I love this car. I adore this car. I don't miss my turbo s, but if I ever have to give up this Z, I know I'll miss it.

Sporttplus

Sounds great. Glad you love the car....

I think the heating issues will be beaten, sooner or later, and perhaps even this is contained for the most part in the A8 cars, anyway.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 04-09-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:55 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

So it's a long-winded way of saying: It's not too twisty for the Z. In fact, it's right at home here. Maybe more so than in other driving situations.
Sporttplus
Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't saying the Z wasn't capable, just a very technical track with lots of apexes. Some parts looked just like Shenandoah in WV which has 21 turns I think. You don't get to put the hammer down much, but I bet it was a ton of fun.

My first time out in the Z will be good 'ole Pocono North. 5 turns and 1/4 of the Nascar banking. Will post some videos.

Tom
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM
sporttplus
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't saying the Z wasn't capable, just a very technical track with lots of apexes. Some parts looked just like Shenandoah in WV which has 21 turns I think. You don't get to put the hammer down much, but I bet it was a ton of fun.

My first time out in the Z will be good 'ole Pocono North. 5 turns and 1/4 of the Nascar banking. Will post some videos.

Tom
In all honesty even I didn't expect these kinds of times. The 1.3 is probably one of the most if not the most technical course configuration we have here locally. Power helps some, but this is really a handling course and the z performed a lot better than I expected.

I just looked at your pocono north. Yeah, you should own there. I'd like to see what sort of speed you can get through turn 2. Looks like most people take it flat out. Good luck and please post!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 844 Likes on 496 Posts

In all honesty even I didn't expect these kinds of times. The 1.3 is probably one of the most if not the most technical course configuration we have here locally. Power helps some, but this is really a handling course and the z performed a lot better than I expected.

I just looked at your pocono north. Yeah, you should own there. I'd like to see what sort of speed you can get through turn 2. Looks like most people take it flat out. Good luck and please post!
Welcome! And enjoy.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Sporttplus
Well said not many people take the time to post the good.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:49 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I posted this information to the official track times thread in this forum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...imes-here.html

Please review and add any info possible. I will attempt to fill in the info correctly based upon your video.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:08 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

No wonder you didn't overheat, you never went above 6,000rpm except when you mis-shifted into 1st gear instead of 3rd going up the hill. You also spent a lot of time in 3rd gear. Anyway, looks like fun, but the 1.3 gives me a headache personally.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
king awesome!
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

nice post! welcome. I must say i, along with several other corvette converts here, would not own the car if it were not for the Z06. There are several Porsche converts here so you should be right at home. The car is amazing in almost every way! I have had mine since January and still smile every time i start it. What a beast! :
Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice driving. Welcome to the "other side". I too have run just about every other brand car on the track and always come back to corvette. This be far is the best one yet.

Quick question. Did you have the track alignment setup?
Old 04-17-2015, 04:06 PM
sporttplus
Advanced

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Nice driving. Welcome to the "other side". I too have run just about every other brand car on the track and always come back to corvette. This be far is the best one yet.

Quick question. Did you have the track alignment setup?
I don't have the track alignment set up yet. I went by LG motorsports to talk with them about track setups (only 10 minutes from where I live), and they suggest that the fronts are easily adjustable with simple tools, but the rear alignment is a pain to do. They are working on some replacement hardware for the rears to make it easier to dial in at track and dial out on the street. Otherwise you're going through tires every 1000 miles instead of every 10000 miles or so. I think they will have a solution soon.

Get notified of new replies

To First time on track with the new C7 Z06 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on 1.3 mile track

Quick Reply: First time on track with the new C7 Z06 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on 1.3 mile track