C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 Z06 at Daytona-Rolex

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

First session out this morning brought up cold tires pressures from sitting overnight to 29 psi left 32 psi right.
Outlap was an :05 followed by three straight :02's and then the car started pushing in T1, T6 and T8. Pitted in and right side pressures were way up (43-44 psi). Did not have time to get back out.

Second session, right side tire pressure climbed fast and I had a light spin in T4. Just some dirt, but have grass and dirt in the bead. Taking tire to tire shop now to have them remount tire. Not a good session due to traffic, best lap of :03.
S.

Last edited by Snorman; 04-10-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Great write up. Have you ran at this track with any other car in the past? and if so how do these times compare? I have no idea as I am a drag racer, But these tracks have got my attention I really would like to learn this type of racing. Thanks again for posting.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Great write up. Have you ran at this track with any other car in the past? and if so how do these times compare? I have no idea as I am a drag racer, But these tracks have got my attention I really would like to learn this type of racing. Thanks again for posting.
A stock C6ZR1/C6Z06 on street tires would run around 2:10's and that was flying, Running 2:02 on street tires!! WOW.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
A stock C6ZR1/C6Z06 on street tires would run around 2:10's and that was flying, Running 2:02 on street tires!! WOW.
Post made by BEZ06. 10-07-2013

I finally took my ZR1 to the track!!!!

When I got the car I was going to sell my 2006 Z06.

Butt....my crew chief (wife) said "You're not taking that expensive ZR1 on the track to run it hard and bang it up", so I told her "Well, I guess we'll have to keep the Z06 for a track car".

She wasn't quite ready for that, so that's what I did!!

So....this weekend at the PCA event at Daytona I hatched my devious plan!!

It's more expensive to run at Daytona than any other track I've been to, so it would be ashamed to lose the other two sessions on Saturday and the four on Sunday.

I was running the Z06 in the second session Saturday morning when my plan went into action - KABOOM!!!! The Z06 engine blew after coming out of the infield and up onto the banking. I shifted from 3rd to 4th at about 6500 RPM (115 mph) and the car was pulling hard going through about 140 mph when KABANG!!! Smoke was pouring out from the hood, but I was able to slide down off the banking onto the apron.

The track guys were right over with a rollback and hauled it back to the garage in the paddock.

Now I had to convince the crew chief to that to save the weekend we needed to go to our backup car. After some explaining about losing out on expensive track time (well....pleading and begging) she told me "Okay, but if you bang the ZR1 up you're NEVER going to the track again! "

She drove me the 20 minutes home to pickup our backup car, the PCA guys running the event were very gracious to let me swap in another car and teched it and I was ready to go for the afternoon sessions, so I didn't miss any track time!!

I have a set of ZR1 wheels with Pilot Sport Cups on the Z06, but didn't have time to swap them onto the ZR1 for the first afternoon session, so I just ran the PS2's and they worked great. The next morning it had rained and the track was wet, so I just left them on. They are very good on the track for a street tire - I've run them on the Z06 before and like them a lot.

I was timed in the ZR1 at 2:08 in traffic (clean laps in the Z06 are around 2:05 as in the video below), and I'm sure the PSC's would have brought that down considerably.

As expected, the ZR1 was about 4 or 5 mph faster at the end of the two long WOT sections. In the Z06 I do 160+ into the brake zone for the Bus Stop (the chicane on the back straight), and in the ZR1 saw 166 a couple times. The Z06 crosses the S/F line and into the brake zone for turning into the infield at about 175, but I let the ZR1 run up to 180 a couple times, but that's awful damn fast, and most of the time the P-cars were holding me up anyway!!

Of course I don't need to say anything about the brakes - they are FANTASTIC!!!!! I had street burnished them when I got the car, but had never done the track burnishing - but I think I took care of that!!

So....even though I didn't really do my plan on purpose, blowing the Z06 engine worked good to get the ZR1 onto the track -and what a great track to take advantage of the power and braking than Daytona!!

Now I have to start figuring out what to put into the Z06 - stock crate, expensive built engine, ????

Oh well, I guess ya gotta pay to play!!!

Bob

The Z06 highlighted in red is a 2006 Z06.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-10-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Butt....my crew chief (wife) said "You're not taking that expensive ZR1 on the track to run it hard and bang it up", so I told her "Well, I guess we'll have to keep the Z06 for a track car".

It's more expensive to run at Daytona than any other track I've been to, so it would be ashamed to lose the other two sessions on Saturday and the four on Sunday.

I was running the Z06 in the second session Saturday morning when my plan went into action - KABOOM!!!! The Z06 engine blew after coming out of the infield and up onto the banking. I shifted from 3rd to 4th at about 6500 RPM (115 mph) and the car was pulling hard going through about 140 mph when KABANG!!! Smoke was pouring out from the hood, but I was able to slide down off the banking onto the apron.

The track guys were right over with a rollback and hauled it back to the garage in the paddock.

Now I had to convince the crew chief to that to save the weekend we needed to go to our backup car. After some explaining about losing out on expensive track time (well....pleading and begging) she told me "Okay, but if you bang the ZR1 up you're NEVER going to the track again! "

She drove me the 20 minutes home to pickup our backup car, the PCA guys running the event were very gracious to let me swap in another car and teched it and I was ready to go for the afternoon sessions, so I didn't miss any track time!!

I have a set of ZR1 wheels with Pilot Sport Cups on the Z06, but didn't have time to swap them onto the ZR1 for the first afternoon session, so I just ran the PS2's and they worked great. The next morning it had rained and the track was wet, so I just left them on. They are very good on the track for a street tire - I've run them on the Z06 before and like them a lot.

I was timed in the ZR1 at 2:08 in traffic (clean laps in the Z06 are around 2:05 as in the video below), and I'm sure the PSC's would have brought that down considerably.

As expected, the ZR1 was about 4 or 5 mph faster at the end of the two long WOT sections. In the Z06 I do 160+ into the brake zone for the Bus Stop (the chicane on the back straight), and in the ZR1 saw 166 a couple times. The Z06 crosses the S/F line and into the brake zone for turning into the infield at about 175, but I let the ZR1 run up to 180 a couple times, but that's awful damn fast, and most of the time the P-cars were holding me up anyway!!

Of course I don't need to say anything about the brakes - they are FANTASTIC!!!!! I had street burnished them when I got the car, but had never done the track burnishing - but I think I took care of that!!

So....even though I didn't really do my plan on purpose, blowing the Z06 engine worked good to get the ZR1 onto the track -and what a great track to take advantage of the power and braking than Daytona!!

Now I have to start figuring out what to put into the Z06 - stock crate, expensive built engine, ????

Bob

Great post, thanks for sharing. Now to create a track monster with the Z06!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Bob

Don't confuse Bob with the average ZR1 or Z06, I'm fast but cannot outrun him at his home track, Daytona.

I believe Bob has a C7Z06 on order and I'm sure we will see him run under 2 mins in it.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

First session from today:

This matches this data:

Tire temps at Daytona (particularly right side) rise VERY quickly:

Rule of thumb is 3-5# higher in the right rear and a few # in right front, but it'll take a few sessions each day just to get them right so mid-session they aren't 3-5# higher than you want.

Good few days. It went on the trailer the same way as it came off on Weds, just with a lot more dirt on it.

S.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow awesome video !!!! Great driving. Thst must have been an awesome experience. I have to get there. Hope to see you at the track up north soon.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Hey Sean - excellent driving and outstanding PDR video and data!!

It was great to see you at the track. I wish I had some video of my ZR1 going around, but I just never have moved my Traqmate and video cam over from my C6 Z06, and don't plan to due to looking for a C7 Z06. According to the sweep second hand on my watch my fastest laps were about 2:04 to 2:05. My Pilot Sport Cups were done for and were very greasy - I was having a real hard time getting around T3, 5, and 6 (I was actually still doing real well thru the Bus Stop). T3 especially, I'd turn in and the front tires just scrubbed across the track. I think with fresh Sport Cups on the ZR1 I could get down toward your 2:02 time, but I'm sure you've got a few seconds left in your car - I think a stock C7 Z06 might even do a sub 2 minute lap!!

I love all the info you can get with the PDR, and thanks very much for posting it up.

Bob
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Great to see you again, Bob and already looking forward to FlatOut at Daytona next year. Will be nice to see you there with a C7 Z06. You may very well run a sub :00! There is more time in my lap, particularly into T1 and through the bus stop.
S.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Great vid snorman! I see the PDR shows the ABS (trac cont) coming on going into the bus stop and T1. You know you're driving it right when you feel it kick in, just weird to describe.

Hi Bob. I missed this years April event. Maybe this Oct with Henry and PDG. Did Jim run his new C7 DSOM Z06 around today?

Mike
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 AM
marc0779
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default data on pdr

Are you pulling that data up,on the pdr if so how do you access it?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

That track is good for these Zs with all that air flow.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by US Icon
Great vid snorman! I see the PDR shows the ABS (trac cont) coming on going into the bus stop and T1. You know you're driving it right when you feel it kick in, just weird to describe.

Hi Bob. I missed this years April event. Maybe this Oct with Henry and PDG. Did Jim run his new C7 DSOM Z06 around today?

Mike
Hi Mike

No - JD was out in Colorado.

He's still got his Katech C6 Z06 and I think that's going to continue to be his track car. At least for a while the C7 Z06 will be for the street.

Bob
Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
First session from today:

This matches this data:

Tire temps at Daytona (particularly right side) rise VERY quickly:

Rule of thumb is 3-5# higher in the right rear and a few # in right front, but it'll take a few sessions each day just to get them right so mid-session they aren't 3-5# higher than you want.

Good few days. It went on the trailer the same way as it came off on Weds, just with a lot more dirt on it.

S.
Great video nice driving. Is that the Zo7. Didn't notice understeer how was the braking going into turns. Also how did tires hold up. Were these the stock tires? That was really great.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:30 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jklein7
Great video nice driving. Is that the Zo7. Didn't notice understeer how was the braking going into turns. Also how did tires hold up. Were these the stock tires? That was really great.
I'm not snorman, but I can tell you that his car does not have the Z07 option. He has the stage 1 aero, which is probably good for Daytona where there are fewer turns but higher speeds.

He also was running the stock Pilot Super Sports, which are a fantastic tire!! I had a student in a base Stingray with the PSS tires, and I was REALLY impressed!!! I wish I had them on my ZR1 instead of my old greasy worn out Sport Cups.

I'm looking for a Z07, and will probably downgrade from stage 3 to stage 2 when running Daytona by removing, or at least lowering, the clear wickerbill and putting the stage 2 end plates on the splitter.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:22 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

GREAT driving--the car looked really stable & planted, considering you're on the PSS streeties. I'm just hoping to get sub :10s there w/ the PDX next month, traffic & attachments not-withstanding... lol

Last edited by GTB/ZR-1; 04-11-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Z06 at Daytona-Rolex

Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
GREAT driving--the car looked really stable & planted, considering you're on the PSS streeties. I'm just hoping to get sub :10s there w/ the PDX next month, traffic & attachments not-withstanding... lol
What is "PDX"???

If you're talking about an SCCA Performance Driving Event, I don't see anything scheduled at Daytona - except for TODAY!!!!

If you have a competitive racing license and are talking about some SCCA racing, then there may be some racing going on sometime in the next couple months - but there just doesn't appear to be any SCCA events at Daytona coming up except for racers.

Additionally, all the SCCA PDX events I've heard of being run at Daytona are done only on the infield!! That's not what you want to come to Daytona to do!! It's fun twisting and turning and cornering, but if you're at Daytona you wanna run the banking!!

If you're talking about the Rally Lap of Florida that is organized by Hooked-on-Driving, then I believe you'll be running the full Rolex 24 roadcourse. You'll only be at Daytona one afternoon from 1:00PM to 6:00PM. Butt....if that's what you're talking about it should be fun!!

To my knowledge, the HPDE type events at Daytona have only been run here since about 2006 or 2007. Before that the Speedway wouldn't allow any events except for races with drivers that had competitive racing licenses.

SCCA may have been running PDX type events only in the infield, but HPDEs running the entire Rolex 24 roadcourse has only been the last 8 years or so.

I've heard it costs something like $35,000 per day for an event organizer to rent the track - that's why it's more expensive for us to run here than at any other track I'm aware of. There's a lot of infrastructure and liability, but I guess NASCAR decided if there was a market that they try to make some money off us track day guys.

I believe the first HPDE was in Dec of '06 or '07 and run by an Audi club from Ohio. Since then a couple other organizations have been putting on HPDE type events, but until the Flatout Motorsports event in April started about 2 years ago, and the Rally Lap of FL that is recent, all the other events have been in Oct, Nov, Dec.

The next HPDE on the full Rolex course that I know of is forum member Henry Gilbert's Performance Driving Group HPDE Oct 2-4. You can run one, two, or all 3 days:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/events/

A local PCA group has been running an event latter in Oct every year, and PBOC has sometimes run an event in Oct or Nov.

I see that NASA will run HPDE sessions between their racing sessions during an event Oct 31st and Nov 1st:

https://nasaproracing.com/events/1937

The Audi HPDE will be Dec 4-5-6, and this year Hooked-on-Driving will co-sponsor that event:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...3#.VSlZM9FFDIU

So....basically, the next real event at Daytona will be Henry's PDG event early Oct.

Hope to c'ya at the track!!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
Don't confuse Bob with the average ZR1 or Z06, I'm fast but cannot outrun him at his home track, Daytona.

I believe Bob has a C7Z06 on order and I'm sure we will see him run under 2 mins in it.
I wasn't confusing Bob with Mr. Magoo.

I was addressing this comment..

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z0

"A stock C6ZR1/C6Z06 on street tires would run around 2:10's and that was flying."

I took your comment ".....and that was flying" eliminated the average Mr. Magoo driving his C6 Z06 or ZR1 instead of his Coupe deVille, and was speaking about an experienced driver, like BEZ06.

"flying" in a C6 Z06 and ZR1 means doing around a :05, not a :10. And as Bob has pointed out, he thinks his ZR1 on fresh tires, could "fly" a :02 with his ZR1.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I wasn't confusing Bob with Mr. Magoo.

I was addressing this comment..

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z0

"A stock C6ZR1/C6Z06 on street tires would run around 2:10's and that was flying."

I took your comment ".....and that was flying" eliminated the average Mr. Magoo driving his C6 Z06 or ZR1 instead of his Coupe deVille, and was speaking about an experienced driver, like BEZ06.

"flying" in a C6 Z06 and ZR1 means doing around a :05, not a :10. And as Bob has pointed out, he thinks his ZR1 on fresh tires, could "fly" a :02 with his ZR1.
And he's also pointed out that he thinks a C7 ZO6 can run sub 2:00s.
a :10 is still flying around Daytona. That's better than an average driver is going to do. Average driver would be more like a :13.

:02s or less regardless of the car, is seriously flying.

There's a whole load of very good cars out there that won't even run :10s in the hands of most people.

Quick Reply: A8 Z06 at Daytona-Rolex