C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Does an air intake mod void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Does an air intake mod void warranty?

I understand that there are some great after market air intake options that enhance HP. My question is whether anyone knows definitively whether such a mod would void the warranty. Seems like a straightforward thing to do assuming the warranty remains intact. I have my doubts. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I understand that there are some great after market air intake options that enhance HP. My question is whether anyone knows definitively whether such a mod would void the warranty. Seems like a straightforward thing to do assuming the warranty remains intact. I have my doubts. Any thoughts?
I think if you had engine issues and they seen it on there......bad news for you. In my experience, if you want no hassle warranty, don't give the dealer any outs.....keep it stock or be prepared for the worst.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vegas1500
I think if you had engine issues and they seen it on there......bad news for you. In my experience, if you want no hassle warranty, don't give the dealer any outs.....keep it stock or be prepared for the worst.
Makes sense. No sense taking a chance. Its not like we are lacking for HP or torque
Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

This should be a sticky same question has been asked since beginning of warranties. ..No one can tell you for sure except maybe your dealer. if you install a intake and say your rear brakes take a dump well yeah that will be covered under warranty..lets say your engine blows up...They can deny warranty and you can't do crap about it unless you go to battle with them in court and prove that the intake did not cause the blown engine...$$$ So mod it thinking you don't have a powertrain warranty or talk to the dealer/service department and see what they say or what they allow. There are some guys that take their modded cars and the dealer doesn't care. then you have the dealers that if you put a airfreshner in your car they want to deny everything(exaggeration but you get my point)

Point is you are going to get a million replies and opinions. No one will give you a answer that you can take to the bank except for you and the service/warranty department. Plain and simple
Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chicago1
This should be a sticky same question has been asked since beginning of warranties. ..No one can tell you for sure except maybe your dealer. if you install a intake and say your rear brakes take a dump well yeah that will be covered under warranty..lets say your engine blows up...They can deny warranty and you can't do crap about it unless you go to battle with them in court and prove that the intake did not cause the blown engine...$$$ So mod it thinking you don't have a powertrain warranty or talk to the dealer/service department and see what they say or what they allow. There are some guys that take their modded cars and the dealer doesn't care. then you have the dealers that if you put a airfreshner in your car they want to deny everything(exaggeration but you get my point)

Point is you are going to get a million replies and opinions. No one will give you a answer that you can take to the bank except for you and the service/warranty department. Plain and simple
Thanks for your feedback. However, if you developed an engine problem and simply changed back to the stock air intake would it be possible to diagnose that the engine problem was caused by a change in air flow? I suspect this would be something that GM would have to determine, not the dealer.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

And no one is going to spend the money, not even GM to prove that the intake you had on and then took off caused the problem.....
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by firstgear
And no one is going to spend the money, not even GM to prove that the intake you had on and then took off caused the problem.....
Just spoke to my dealer who indicated that an air intake system should not cause a warranty issue. So I am going for it. Does anyone know if the Halltech group buy is still available?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

It may not void your warranty but, reading the SCCA's Solo rules, it will move your car out of the "Street Stock" class. I was hoping that was not the case because I really want to buy the Halltech "Stinger" for the additional hp and cool looks.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
It may not void your warranty but, reading the SCCA's Solo rules, it will move your car out of the "Street Stock" class. I was hoping that was not the case because I really want to buy the Halltech "Stinger" for the additional hp and cool looks.
Understood. But one can easily go back to stock when necessary. . Then on the street you can enjoy the extra 50 HP.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
Go for it. You can uninstall the intake in 5 minutes when you go to a SCCA event.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phantasms
Go for it. You can uninstall the intake in 5 minutes when you go to a SCCA event.
Just placed my order for a Halltech unit. Can't wait to give it a try
Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Quick 2 hour decision, way faster than me!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 PM
cossan512
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talked to my dealer, not a problem. It really depends on your dealer.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Rear brakes may not be covered if premature wear was from increased power as the owner never turned off the stability control and wasn't constantly putting pedal to the medal early around every corner lol
Old 04-15-2015, 01:16 AM
nethomas
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it simple to replace the old with the new? Is it a simple take off old and put on the new, or does it require removing bolts etc?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:49 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cossan512
Got that in writing, did ja?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Well said! If people have warranty issues talk to the people at GM who make warranty decisions. Having someone on this forum back slap you and say it is OK, would give me no confidence what so ever.

Get notified of new replies

To Does an air intake mod void warranty?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 AM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Wow! I had no idea the system would change out (R&R) so easily. From the pictures, it looks as though the radiator/hood air duct needs to be removed as well as a hose or two. Great news, thanks Gene.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by cossan512

With small stuff yeah. But if you have a catastrophic failure, GM will be the one making the decision with no input from your dealer. I know that historically many mfg's have overlooked a CAI when it comes to warranty work, but up until now they really haven't been that effective(as a stand alone mod) of increasing horsepower. But adding 50 RWHP is something they are going to care about. There is no free lunch.

And for those saying just take it off before going to the dealer if you have a problem, not if, but when, GM sees that the air/fuel ratios were off (not to mention the extra pound or so of boost achieved), they'll be well within their rights to deny powertrain coverage.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by redzone
With small stuff yeah. But if you have a catastrophic failure, GM will be the one making the decision with no input from your dealer. I know that historically many mfg's have overlooked a CAI when it comes to warranty work, but up until now they really haven't been that effective(as a stand alone mod) of increasing horsepower. But adding 50 RWHP is something they are going to care about. There is no free lunch.

And for those saying just take it off before going to the dealer if you have a problem, not if, but when, GM sees that the air/fuel ratios were off (not to mention the extra pound or so of boost achieved), they'll be well within their rights to deny powertrain coverage.
Not only that but if they ask you if you had an after market intake and you say "no", now you have committed fraud.

Quick Reply: Does an air intake mod void warranty?