C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 - C7 - Z06 - A8 - PSS - Daytona-Rolex course !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Haratchi
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2015 - C7 - Z06 - A8 - PSS - Daytona-Rolex course !

Curve top speed 175 mph = 281 km/h on Daytona's "banking" with PSS tires....

That's insane !!!!

Please, watch this vidéo on YouTube :

Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very cool! I'm looking forward to doing the SCCA RunOffs there in September.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

That's probably Snorman ripping up that track.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, it was nice to meet you man (me with white Corvette)

I didnt push the banks and only topped at 160 and cruised.

I meant to ask you, where did you get your tow hooks?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
That's probably Snorman ripping up that track.
Yep - that's Snorman rockin'-n-rollin' around the track!!

I was there with my ZR1 - still waiting for a C7 Z06!

There will be a few HPDE type events here this fall - the best are the PDG event Oct 2-4, and and event Dec 4-6 organized by an Audi club from Ohio. Here are links to both of those events:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/events/

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...3#.VS_YMdFFDIU

Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Very enjoyable video to watch, but he didn't hit 175 MPH in the high banked curves. That speed was achieved long after he was out of turn #4, running down the front stretch past the S/F line.

I believe that BEZ06 has hit 175 on that same section of the track in his C6 Z06. Check his speed at the 2:05 minute mark on his video.

Still a good run for the driver of the C7 Z06.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-16-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
....Still a good run for the driver of the C7 Z06.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! Sean is running laps 4 seconds faster than my C6 Z06, and he's on street tires (Pilot Super Sports). I believe I was running Hoosiers in that video from Dec 2008.

Sean is just getting used to the car, and I bet he has sub 2 minute laps in the future.

I've gone faster top speed across the S/F line in my ZR1, but Sean and I have talked about running a stock Vette here at Daytona, and we agree that when you start going faster than 170 mph in a car with no cage/rollbar, no full containment race seat, no harness, etc., that you're really running out on the edge. These HPDE type events are great to drive much faster and harder than on the street, and to learn how to handle your car out toward its limits, but these events aren't racing and there's no prize for running every lap at 100%. I've gone to running these events on street tires - well, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which are a very good track tire. My cars have OE seats and seatbelts, so I'm out just to have a really fun time driving the car hard and fast - but not at 100% all the time.

Bottom line - I hope nobody goes to the track trying to beat somebody else's time or speed at track day HPDE type events. I hope to see some of you here in Oct and/or Dec!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-16-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
ABSOLUTELY!!!! Sean is running laps 4 seconds faster than my C6 Z06, and he's on street tires (Pilot Super Sports). I believe I was running Hoosiers in that video from Dec 2008.

Sean is just getting used to the car, and I bet he has sub 2 minute laps in the future.

I've gone faster top speed across the S/F line in my ZR1, but Sean and I have talked about running a stock Vette here at Daytona, and we agree that when you start going faster than 170 mph in a car with no cage/rollbar, no full containment race seat, no harness, etc., that you're really running out on the edge. These HPDE type events are great to drive much faster and harder than on the street, and to learn how to handle your car out toward its limits, but these events aren't racing and there's no prize for running every lap at 100%. I've gone to running these events on street tires - well, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which are a very good track tire. My cars have OE seats and seatbelts, so I'm out just to have a really fun time driving the car hard and fast - but not at 100% all the time.

Bottom line - I hope nobody goes to the track trying to beat somebody else's time or speed at track day HPDE type events. I hope to see some of you here in Oct and/or Dec!
I agree with what you said. I was at the even with the OP in the blue run group. (first HPDE in the C7, and only about 5th overall). I didnt care to max the car in the straights or banks. I worked on my braking and cornering lines etc entire event. My best actual time was a measly 2:11. my best theoretical time was a 2:06. I took two back to back laps where I was slowed by traffic before bus stop and after and took my better halfs.

After looking at my PDR data, I could have done alot better if I dared or had experience. But i don't care. I had fun and im learning!

Most likely going to do Roebling with Flatout Motorsports in August if anyone here is interested. Would be good to always meet folks.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

There is a limit to how fast I really want to go on that straight. I hit 175 long before the start/finish line...meaning I probably could have wound the car out several more mph. I actually hit 177+ in one session...but until I put harnesses, bar, etc. in the car and can wear my HANS it's fast enough.
I'll be there in December with Audi.
S.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Daisuke149
Hey, it was nice to meet you man (me with white Corvette)

I didnt push the banks and only topped at 160 and cruised.

I meant to ask you, where did you get your tow hooks?
Nice meeting you. Those are the GM tow hooks.
I'll be at Roebling with FOM in May, not sure if I can make August. But there is another Z06 owner here who will be there with a pro driver doing some coaching.
S.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snorman
Nice meeting you. Those are the GM tow hooks.
I'll be at Roebling with FOM in May, not sure if I can make August. But there is another Z06 owner here who will be there with a pro driver doing some coaching.
S.
dang I cant do may, I will be at Zdayz (tail of the dragon then).

Do you have a part number. My dealer ordered the only one he could find, same part number everyone on the forums has and they wouldnt fit.

Baffled me.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Gm pn 15234068
Old 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

hrmm thats the same one.. Ill have him order another set to see. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I've gone faster top speed across the S/F line in my ZR1, but Sean and I have talked about running a stock Vette here at Daytona, and we agree that when you start going faster than 170 mph in a car with no cage/rollbar, no full containment race seat, no harness, etc., that you're really running out on the edge. These HPDE type events are great to drive much faster and harder than on the street, and to learn how to handle your car out toward its limits, but these events aren't racing and there's no prize for running every lap at 100%. I've gone to running these events on street tires - well, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which are a very good track tire. My cars have OE seats and seatbelts, so I'm out just to have a really fun time driving the car hard and fast.

Comparing the two videos, I see where the C7's exit speed coming out of turn #4 is higher than yours, but you were accelerating quicker(harder) down the straight section in order to hit the same 175 MPH as he did. I also noted that you were short shifting at ~ 6000 and granny shifting into 5th long before you even started exiting turn #4 to get a run down the front straight. I stay in 4th through the turns(around 140-145 MPH) and going WOT in 4th gear before exiting the turn and shift at 6800 RPM into 5th at 158 MPH (and not granny shifting) on the straight section. I get a higher top speed on the straight stretch that way vs exiting the turns in 5th gear.

That's at Talladega where I have run and not Daytona but the track is similar. As with you, no roll cage, stock seat belts and with street RE050A Bridgestone run flats(not sticky cup tires). You hit the wall at 150, 160 or 170 and you're done in a stock Corvette. A C5 Z06 hit the wall at Texas Motor Speedway at 125 MPH and the passenger died, and the driver(not a novice) suffered serious injuries.

I'm still more impressed with your ability to accelerate quicker on the front straight in your C6 Z06, than the C7 Z06 that has 145 more horsepower, in order to achieve the same 175 MPH speed before braking for the infield entrance.

This is what you said in another post...

"Here's a video from the Dec 2008 HPDE. This is in my stock C6 Z06 (maybe a few extra hp from a Halltech Killerbee intake, and I think I was running Hoosiers at this event). The first lap is a 2:06.8, and the second in traffic is slower at 2:12.8. I put up the video back then just to just show what the Rolex 24 track looks like and wasn't pushing hard in the video - I can easily go 8 to 10 mph faster through the Bus Stop (the chicane on the back straight). I think I usually did 2:04 to 2:05 when pushing the C6 Z06 a little harder:"

If you were not "pushing hard" in the turns then the benefits from the Hoosiers were not a factor in your 175 MPH speed down the straight. Correct? If you had come out of turn #4 at 160MPH, like Snorman, what do you think your terminal speed would have been before "braking hard" to run through the "bus stop" at 10 MPH higher than in the video you posted and 10 MPH faster through the high banked turns?

What speed to do think you would hit if you were running 19/20's with the same fresh Michelin Super Spots that Snorman was running when he hit 175(and clearly was "pushing hard")?

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-17-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 - C7 - Z06 - A8 - PSS - Daytona-Rolex course !

Quick Reply: 2015 - C7 - Z06 - A8 - PSS - Daytona-Rolex course !