Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you track a convertible Z06?

 
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM
  #1  
crazystylin
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Can you track a convertible Z06?

Sorry if I missed this. I am considering buying a convertible Z but like I did with my 2014 Z51 coupe, I want to take it to the track 3-4 times a year. Is a Z06 convertible track ready/legal?
crazystylin is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM
  #2  
ImpatientlyWaiting
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 293
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by crazystylin View Post
Sorry if I missed this. I am considering buying a convertible Z but like I did with my 2014 Z51 coupe, I want to take it to the track 3-4 times a year. Is a Z06 convertible track ready/legal?
You need a 4 point roll cage installed at most tracks (6 point for the drag) but you can autocross. They Are selling them already.
ImpatientlyWaiting is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM
  #3  
jdmdohcpower
CF Senior Member
 
jdmdohcpower's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

That's the reason I switch my order to the coup I'm happy I did it so easy to take the top off
jdmdohcpower is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM
  #4  
*C7*
CF Senior Member
 
*C7*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,102
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default

Where are you located ???

There are tracks where you can attend HPDEs in a stock C7 Z06 convertible.
*C7* is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM
  #5  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,697
Thanked 274 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Able to and it being a good idea are two different things IMHO.
Greg00Coupe is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM
  #6  
RC000E
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: My interests are mobile
Posts: 6,941
Thanked 333 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Yes, many tracks allow convertibles to be driven top down, but some require they remain top up. Either way, for many HPDE's the car is fine.
RC000E is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM
  #7  
ImpatientlyWaiting
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 293
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Good to know! Anything near New England?
ImpatientlyWaiting is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 PM
  #8  
RC000E
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: My interests are mobile
Posts: 6,941
Thanked 333 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Pittrace/Beaverun in Pittsburgh, Pa allowed opened convertibles at HPDE's...is that considered New England...lol?
RC000E is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
  #9  
SBC_and_a_stick
CF Senior Member
 
SBC_and_a_stick's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: North California
Posts: 4,639
Thanked 495 Times in 280 Posts
Default

After seeing a few rollovers at the track I wouldn't do it even if the rules were lax enough to allow it. You may pay to get in only to get kicked out, no refunds for failing safety.
SBC_and_a_stick is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 PM
  #10  
*C7*
CF Senior Member
 
*C7*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,102
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default

Driving at a novice level in HPDE is possibly less dangerous than driving on the street with all the distracted drivers.
*C7* is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
  #11  
SBC_and_a_stick
CF Senior Member
 
SBC_and_a_stick's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: North California
Posts: 4,639
Thanked 495 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by *C7* View Post
Driving at a novice level in HPDE is possibly less dangerous than driving on the street with all the distracted drivers.
Maybe so. Just a month ago a guy in SOLO rolled over with the instructor in the car at Thunderhill. To me it's crazy there is no pop up rollover protection in a '15 luxury vehicle.
SBC_and_a_stick is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 PM
  #12  
crazystylin
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Again, sorry guys, what is HPDE? Sorry, got it. High Performance Driving Event, damn I'm a rookie.
crazystylin is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 PM
  #13  
BEZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
BEZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Daytona Beach FL
Posts: 10,915
Thanked 757 Times in 548 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazystylin View Post
....Is a Z06 convertible track ready/legal?
It might depend on where you live and the track day organizations that put on events in your area.

Butt....in spite of what a couple other posters have said, I think it's very, VERY, VERY unusual for verts to be able to run track events without a cage/rollbar.

A few cars that have pop-up rollover protection (some BMWs, Mercedes, etc.) are allowed at many events, but even then most all track day sponsoring organizations, or the track itself, will require a convertible to have arm restraints to keep limbs in the car in the event of a rollover.

If you're in the southeast, there's an event at Daytona on the Rolex 24 roadcourse every April for the past couple years. I just got notified that it is scheduled again for April 14-15,2016. The last couple of years that the event has been held they have allowed verts to run with no rollbar/cage required. I guess it will be the same next year.

So....IMHO you are not going find too many track events that will allow you to run a vert that does not have rollover protection.

.
BEZ06 is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 PM
  #14  
2vettes
CF Senior Member
 
2vettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: Boston's south shore MA
Posts: 6,259
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ImpatientlyWaiting View Post
You need a 4 point roll cage installed at most tracks (6 point for the drag) but you can autocross. They Are selling them already.
Who sells them?
2vettes is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
  #15  
*C7*
CF Senior Member
 
*C7*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,102
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default

Originally Posted by BEZ06 View Post
It might depend on where you live and the track day organizations that put on events in your area.

Butt....in spite of what a couple other posters have said, I think it's very, VERY, VERY unusual for verts to be able to run track events without a cage/rollbar.

A few cars that have pop-up rollover protection (some BMWs, Mercedes, etc.) are allowed at many events, but even then most all track day sponsoring organizations, or the track itself, will require a convertible to have arm restraints to keep limbs in the car in the event of a rollover.

If you're in the southeast, there's an event at Daytona on the Rolex 24 roadcourse every April for the past couple years. I just got notified that it is scheduled again for April 14-15,2016. The last couple of years that the event has been held they have allowed verts to run with no rollbar/cage required. I guess it will be the same next year.

So....IMHO you are not going find too many track events that will allow you to run a vert that does not have rollover protection.

.
Road Atlanta, Sebring, Barber Motorsports to name a few.
*C7* is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM
  #16  
BEZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
BEZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Daytona Beach FL
Posts: 10,915
Thanked 757 Times in 548 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by *C7* View Post
Road Atlanta, Sebring, Barber Motorsports to name a few.
Yes - you're correct. Butt....it depends on what group is running the event.

If you run with Chin they allow it. Here's a link to their tech form:

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/techSheet.pdf

On the tech form there is a waiver for a vert with no rollover protection:
CONVERTIBLE ROLL BAR WAIVER
I acknowledge that driving/riding in a convertible or soft-top vehicle without a roll bar (which is designed to bear the weight
of the vehicle keeping it off the head of the driver and passenger) could result in serious injury or death. The wearing of a
helmet or restraints may NOT mitigate injury. I accept the risk and release the organizers of this event, racetrack, owners,
participants, and Chin Motorsports from any liability resulting from my decision to drive/ride without a roll bar.
Driver _________________________________ Co-Driver _______________________________ Date _____________

However, that's very unusual. Take a look at the info for any event run by PCA, SCCA, NASA, Hooked-on-Driving, Nat'l Corvette Museum, etc., etc., etc., and you'll see something like this statement for a PCA event:
◦Convertibles must have a roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997), a factory hardtop obviates the need for a traditional roll bar
and this for an NCM event:
Convertibles MUST HAVE SCCA legal rollover protection to participate in HPDEs (not required for touring option). Before registering any convertible, please submit an email to [email protected]

So....you can drive convertibles at events organized by some track day groups, and Chin does a lot of track days. There are a few other groups as well, but if you want to run a vert at an event, check the group putting on the event before you register and go to the track.
.
BEZ06 is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 AM
  #17  
quick04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
quick04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,698
Thanked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Default

At a track day at Road Atlanta back when Panoz ran their own track days I saw a spec Miata with a cage roll several times. The driver had to be life flighted out. This was with a cage, race seat, harnesses, helmet, etc.

If you are touching 150 or 160 on track in a stock vert (and these cars are so fast), then I think you are taking quite a chance. If you feel you want to track a Z06 vert, then leave lots of margin for error. I would never push past about 6 or 7/10ths no matter how good I thought I was.
quick04Z06 is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 12:33 PM
  #18  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,697
Thanked 274 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by quick04Z06 View Post
At a track day at Road Atlanta back when Panoz ran their own track days I saw a spec Miata with a cage roll several times. The driver had to be life flighted out. This was with a cage, race seat, harnesses, helmet, etc.

If you are touching 150 or 160 on track in a stock vert (and these cars are so fast), then I think you are taking quite a chance. If you feel you want to track a Z06 vert, then leave lots of margin for error. I would never push past about 6 or 7/10ths no matter how good I thought I was.

Two things I've taken away from tracking my car the last few years is how quickly you can get comfortable running these cars at very high speeds....... going 80 or 90 is like 55 on a freeway.........and the second is how quickly bad things can happen and the ramifications of significant problems.

I knew a guy who had a custom cage in his C5 vert. He'd pull a trailer with race tires and the cage on it. Change out the tires drop the top and bolt the cage into the car. It was a fair amount of work but the cage did not fit under the top when up. From what I can remember it was a significant piece of metal and I think pretty substantial. May be an alternative.
Greg00Coupe is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM
  #19  
RC000E
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: My interests are mobile
Posts: 6,941
Thanked 333 Times in 202 Posts
Default

I think there is a glaring truth here, and it's that GM created the convertible Z06 for one type of buyer, and the chances that buyer ever made it to the track to drive the car in anger was near zero.

I equate tracking a vert to tracking a motorcycle. A guy HPDE'ing a vert is going to be at the same experience level as a guy who tracks a motorcycle and doesn't know how to come off the bike/lay the bike or minimize his own injuries. You're doing it but you're doing so at an increased risk.

I must say though, if you can manage to roll over a Z06...that's impressive.
RC000E is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM
  #20  
xwing
CF Senior Member
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs IL
Posts: 15,903
Thanked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Depends on the track and on the event. Some entry-level "track days" events will allow you to run with a stock convertible. If you have events in mind that you'd like to enter, I'd suggest talking with the organizers before buying the car.
xwing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you track a convertible Z06?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: