C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Spare trunk key

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Spare trunk key

Has anyone had an extra trunk made at Home Depot, etc.? If so, would you share what 'blank' you had them make the key from. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trunk key

I ordered one from Chev. It is available seperately from the fob.

Cost is $35.00 and is VIN specific. Not cheap but I couldn't find anyone who could duplicate the "grooved key"

charles
Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ODEN2
Not cheap but I couldn't find anyone who could duplicate the "grooved key"
I had a duplicate made for my C6 at a local locksmith for $10, IIRC, but when I approached him about a duplicate for the C7 he balked. He said he'd have to order a blank and the cost would be $80, so for the time being I decided to depend on the OnStar mobile app to allow entrance into the car should the fob be misplaced or locked in the car by accident.

My C6 was easy to lock the fob in the car, like by mindlessly throwing my workout bag in the rear part of the hatch and closing it. The car could not sense the fob in that location. On the C7 I tried different locations for the fob alone and it seemed foolproof, but rarely the car will not see the fob when in proximity of the cell phone, even when both are on the passenger seat, so it is in fact not foolproof. Being paranoid I would still like to have a spare in my wallet just in case I absent-mindedly throw the workout bag in the hatch with phone and fob, then find the car locked. Murphy is watching...waiting.

I'd like a solution, preferably for <$35, as I'm now more paranoid than I was when I started writing this reply.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with you iclick-----looking for a cheap solution. Think for the C6 Home depot was less than $5.00......................
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest solution is to go to a dealer that has the capability to cut the new keys.

Take your key code with you (it was on two black tags that you should have received with the car.

Then have them cut the key on a 2014 or newer silverado key blank.

That is, if you just want a spare key to hide or something and not one that fits in the fob.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cheap key

If you really want a cheap key, just take the key out of the second fob.
The #2 fob will still work without the trunk key.

I didn't do it that way, but it will work.

charles
Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

C6's used a Saturn B-106 key blank(no plastic handle). Why don't you compare your present C7 key to the B-106 blank and see if they are the same.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ODEN2
If you really want a cheap key, just take the key out of the second fob. The #2 fob will still work without the trunk key.
The problem with using the second key is that it is too bulky to fit in a wallet. I tried using a magnetic key holder like this one available at Walmart, but I couldn't find a place under the car made of ferrous metal to attach it, except the muffler which I though might melt the plastic part of the key. On the C6 there was a place between the tail pipes that was perfect, but not with the C7.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:17 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The problem with using the second key is that it is too bulky to fit in a wallet. I tried using a magnetic key holder like this one available at Walmart, but I couldn't find a place under the car made of ferrous metal to attach it, except the muffler which I though might melt the plastic part of the key. On the C6 there was a place between the tail pipes that was perfect, but not with the C7.
Try pinning it behind tag.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:46 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a hide a key that uses velcro instead of a magnet. There is a spot off to the side of the exhaust tips under the rear valance. Put your trunk key in there. Not the entire key fob. Put your extra key fob in your glove box.
if you loose your original key fob and are locked out...you can get your extra trunk key from hiding. Get in the car. Then will have your extra key fob in your glove box so you can start your engine.
The following users liked this post:
Rich Mickol (07-19-2016)
Old 05-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
C6's used a Saturn B-106 key blank(no plastic handle). Why don't you compare your present C7 key to the B-106 blank and see if they are the same.
Completely different key type.

The B-106 is the old style key profile.

The new key style is the same as what is used in 2010+ camaro, current cruze, malibu, impala, sonic, silverado, colorado, and tahoe.

You can use a blank from any of those vehicles for the vette.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is what I did. Got the key from Chevy, which is the whole top half of the FOB. Removed the key from the holder, had to drill out the pin. Then drill a small hole at the base of the key.In my wallet in a credit card holder I have the key and the drill bit. Insert the drill bit in the key and your good to go. I keep a FOB in the car with the battery out. I did this after hearing a horror story of lost FOB on a out of state road trip.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Crawler
Instructor

If someone just wants the metal piece to stick in their wallet and does not want it to have a head of any type on it, then use a sonic, cruze, malibu, impala, equinox, or camaro key blank. No need to do any additional work and you're not paying for a more expensive Corvette key base at the same time.

I will say that by using any of those keys that you will need a set of pliers or something to hold the key in order to actuate the trunk latch. This inclused if you use the Corvette key and remove the base.

The key blank for all of those vehicles with "switchblade" keys, is the same blank as the vette blank effectively.

If you want to be able to use the key without needing tools, then utilize a base 2015 tahoe/suburban/yukon, or any trim level Silverado/Sierra/Colorado/Canyon key.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

What I did was I went into settings and set mine to Anti-Lockout. This way you can only lock the vehicle with the fob and not from the drivers lock button. So if I leave the fob in the vehicle I cannot lock it !
Old 05-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oskee
What I did was I went into settings and set mine to Anti-Lockout. This way you can only lock the vehicle with the fob and not from the drivers lock button. So if I leave the fob in the vehicle I cannot lock it !
Keep in mind many a Corvette owner have messed up and placed a keyfob in the rear hatch where the sensor cannot see it and the car will be locked.

Also if you are traveling and lose your fob, you can purchase and program a new fob as long as you have a way to actuate the trunk lock mechanism.

Not all dealerships can cut keys. I would not want to do a full relearn on the cars fob detection system when away from home. Wouldn't want to risk "bricking" the BCM. I've watched it happen.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:31 AM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Crawler
Keep in mind many a Corvette owner have messed up and placed a keyfob in the rear hatch where the sensor cannot see it and the car will be locked.

Also if you are traveling and lose your fob, you can purchase and program a new fob as long as you have a way to actuate the trunk lock mechanism.

Not all dealerships can cut keys. I would not want to do a full relearn on the cars fob detection system when away from home. Wouldn't want to risk "bricking" the BCM. I've watched it happen.
As I posted before mine is in Anti-Lock Out where you can only lock the the car with the fob. My test then was I used the fob to lock the car opened the hatch placed the fob on the cargo matt closed the hatch car beeped twice to let me know the fob was in the car. Pressed the hatch release button above the license plate, hatch would not open but the drivers door did open pressed the hatch button on the dash and trunk opened. Try it ! just make sure when you do, you have it in Anti-Lock Mode and you have your spare fob with you !! (just in case )But then again if you lose your fob you place yourself in a bucket of worms !!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM
flatout vette
Racer

I had one made at a little key shop in a parking lot. It cast $20 and it works fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare trunk key

Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

This used to be a problem with my C6, as if the fob was anywhere rearward of about the first foot in the hatch the sensor could not see it. I tried it with my C7 and no matter where I placed the fob in the hatch area the sensor saw it, so I assumed from that test that I wouldn't have a problem like I did with the C6. I did lock myself out of the C6 twice but both times had a spare key in a key holder hidden outside the car.

I still don't want to depend on this, however, and see other problems. For example, I usually keep my wallet in the car when I'm at the gym, so having a key in the wallet won't help should I get locked out and the wallet and cell phone are in the car. I think it's a stretch that this would ever happen but Murphy is always waiting...watching. I think the only solution for me is to hide a spare key outside the car somewhere like I did with the C6. The keyholder attached with Velcro sounds like a winner.

Update: Found this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111677849713?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Completely different key type.

The B-106 is the old style key profile.

The new key style is the same as what is used in 2010+ camaro, current cruze, malibu, impala, sonic, silverado, colorado, and tahoe.

You can use a blank from any of those vehicles for the vette.
What is the key blank number that you recommend(that fits the cars you listed)?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:14 PM
CMEPCMEP
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z07 Ed
Here is what I did. Got the key from Chevy, which is the whole top half of the FOB. Removed the key from the holder, had to drill out the pin. Then drill a small hole at the base of the key.In my wallet in a credit card holder I have the key and the drill bit. Insert the drill bit in the key and your good to go. I keep a FOB in the car with the battery out. I did this after hearing a horror story of lost FOB on a out of state road trip.
I just got two spare keys from GM with the top half of the FOB attached. The parts guy said before I ordered them that that was the only way they came and the key just pops out via the pin so I can put it in my wallet. He wasn't there when I picked them up, but nothing is popping out! You say you had to drill out the pin?! Isn't that meant to pop out somehow? And was he right in saying that they only come with the top half of the FOB attached?

Quick Reply: Spare trunk key