C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Paint chip due to panel rub

Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint chip due to panel rub

Anyone else have this issue? My front bumper is pretty much touching the fenders. On the driver side at the very corner, this has cause the paint on the bumper to flake off.

I am having the dealer have the full front bumper removed and repainted and then adjusting the position to leave a small gap. My rear bumper is also touching but luckily no chips there, they will adjust that also.

Just thought i'd throw it out there incase anyone else notices it before a problem and can have it adjusted.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Bigeasy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Same problem here

Chip is so small I didn't want to take the chance on a dealer removal and repainted. But it is annoying.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 PM
SPEEDGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daisuke149
Anyone else have this issue? My front bumper is pretty much touching the fenders. On the driver side at the very corner, this has cause the paint on the bumper to flake off.

I am having the dealer have the full front bumper removed and repainted and then adjusting the position to leave a small gap. My rear bumper is also touching but luckily no chips there, they will adjust that also.

Just thought i'd throw it out there incase anyone else notices it before a problem and can have it adjusted.
others here had similar problems, try to find the thread
Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I watched this happen to my car on the assembly line during my buyer's tour. Front driver's fender chipped when placed against the front bumper. They assured me any chips on the car or scratches in the paint are caught during the final QC and the panels are replaced, not repaired.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I watched this happen to my car on the assembly line during my buyer's tour. Front driver's fender chipped when placed against the front bumper. They assured me any chips on the car or scratches in the paint are caught during the final QC and the panels are replaced, not repaired.
they wanted to keep it at the dealer body shop, if its not done right my next step was to have them replace the bumper but im taking it to a friends body shop.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM
floraneg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same issue. Had them removed for the Xpel install and they adjusted it on the reinsatall. Everything is fine now plus protected by Xpel.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Rob#2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this problem on my Z51, and I just noticed it today and was hoping others had a solution. I think I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Mine has a small rub on one side.... After looking at both sides, I am not sure how you would ever adjust the bumper and fenders where there is no rub at all...might be worse to have a gap because body panels would have more room to move around.

Since the chip is actually on the end of the bumper edge, I am going to leave mine alone.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Deimos
3rd Gear

2016 Torch Red 1LT 7 speed Manual - rear body panel misaligned and the front bumper is too close to the body, paint rubbing off and paint is chipping at the seams. Dealer has had the car since August 8th... today is September 9th and they say its finally ready ....32 days without the car... first time Corvette owner... not a good showing of customer service!! O and a Chevy Trax as a loaner!!

Hopefully the problem is fixed when I check it in the morning to pick it up

Last edited by Deimos; 09-09-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

^^^^ That's absolutely ridiculous! Is that real? I'd be furious.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
^^^^ That's absolutely ridiculous! Is that real? I'd be furious.
Why? It's probably only a $90,000 car. I toured the Bowling Green plant earlier this summer and one of the things that GM touts is quality control. It's almost laughable. They do a quality control check on each car in a brightly lighted area just before they do a diagnostic test. My car has two fish eyes in the paint on the front bumper near the crossed flags emblem that I saw on my first walk around of the car. I'm not sure how their quality control person missed it. I guess they figure the dealership is responsible for repairing such minor flaws. I guess they also think that if we, as customers, accept those flaws they'll continue to make them like that.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 09-09-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:03 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I toured the Bowling Green plant earlier this summer and one of the things that GM touts is quality control. It's almost laughable. They do a quality control check on each car in a brightly lighted area just before they do a diagnostic test.

I'm not sure how their quality control person missed it. I guess they figure the dealership is responsible for repairing such minor flaws. I guess they also think that if we, as customers, accept those flaws they'll continue to make them like that.
I, like you wonder about the QC... this is the finish on my special order JSB GS when delivered. I was in touch with the Customer Service Manager at Bowling Green, who elevated it to someone in GM's head office. They contacted me and made everything right. They painted a nose piece at Bowling Green, shipped it to dealer who delivered it to my friends paint/body shop to install. At first dealer wanted to paint existing nose but I wasn't having any of that so got on the phone and started things rolling.. happy with the final product but why/how could something like this get out of the factory..

Name:  DSC01096.jpg
Views: 3617
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  DSC01099.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 09-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Deimos
3rd Gear

Default C7 Corvette - bumper paint rubbing off at seams issue

You are a smarter man that I and I am too trusting.

I just got my car back this morning and they simply removed the front bumper put some touch up paint and placed it back on the car.

It took them 32 days to do this!!

I can see where the touch up portions happened - where the body meets the bumper... maybe they were hoping I would not see it. I will be in contact with GM about this.

Coggin Chevrolet at the Avenues - Jacksonville, Florida - I will not be buying anything from Coggin anymore and will not let them touch my car.

They told me to my face they repainted the whole bumper - simply can't be the case if you can see the old outline where the paint was coming off. They gave me the generic scripted lip service when someone isn't happy. "Sorry sir to lose your business... etc ... etc"

I am just a little Corvette buyer, they probably sell so many vehicles per day and service so many cars... I doubt they care if they mess up a few times and lose a customer

Will snap a picture and show you guys as well

Originally Posted by azcanuk
I, like you wonder about the QC... this is the finish on my special order JSB GS when delivered. I was in touch with the Customer Service Manager at Bowling Green, who elevated it to someone in GM's head office. They contacted me and made everything right. They painted a nose piece at Bowling Green, shipped it to dealer who delivered it to my friends paint/body shop to install. At first dealer wanted to paint existing nose but I wasn't having any of that so got on the phone and started things rolling.. happy with the final product but why/how could something like this get out of the factory..

Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Deimos
3rd Gear

Got the car back from the dealer today. They did not do a good job. They simply did a touch up job, Probably hoped I wouldn't be able to tell where they did the work. you can really tell looking at one of the corners. This is after they had my car our of service in their possession for 32 days!! Telling me they had their best corvette people working on it etc...

I will try to post a pic.

They even told me to my face they repainted the entire front bumper and to not wax it for 90 days.

Coggin Chevrolet at the Avenues - Jacksonville, Florida. I will not be buying anything from Coggin ever again... cars or service. after 20 days or so I had to file a complaint with the BBB Autoline, send a certified letter to GM that it's been out of service for over 15 days and open a "ticket" on their website for support. Finally this greased the wheels and I got the car back.

I called the service Manager, Body shop manager and finance manager to let them know of my displeasure with the service... they got no problem selling you a car but when a first time customer has an issue with the product .. support is just not there. They gave me the generic scripted verbatim ... "sorry sir that we didn't meet your expectations.. etc.."

I will be in contact with GM about this issue and what the dealer did to try and fix it unsuccessfully
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by azcanuk

That's terrible!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
MThomas (03-29-2017)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Unfortunately, there's been several threads posted with pics of horrible runs in the paint.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

If you guys let a dealer mess with the bumper for these flaws you deserve what you got.., I simply have no faith in them to even do a proper oil change muss less adjust a bumper fitment adjustment. My front bumper sorta touches the fender inbetween the headlight and the hood.

I may use that to get a free bottle of touch up paint but I'll not have a bumper resprayed or adjusted by a dealer. Please save your car from the dealer for these types of things. It's not worth the battle.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint chip due to panel rub

Old 03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Brand new '17 Z06. Passenger side. Not sure it was there at pick-up or since then. Uugghh. Doubt I'll take it to dealer. They'll just screw it or something else up. Driver's side is rubbing also but no chipping yet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SnowyATX; 03-16-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

Wow! If my car comes in with anything close to some of the issues that have been posted here I'm refusing delivery. That's completely unacceptable for a $90k car and since I deal directly with the owner of the dealership he already knows I won't stand for anything like that.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Wow! If my car comes in with anything close to some of the issues that have been posted here I'm refusing delivery. That's completely unacceptable for a $90k car and since I deal directly with the owner of the dealership he already knows I won't stand for anything like that.
I'm not 100% sure it was there at the dealership. I went over the car with a flashlight before I accepted it. That being said there is a LOT to look at and things are easily missed.

It sucks but as long as it doesn't grow I'll deal with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint chip due to panel rub