C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stealth mode exhaust sound in Sport/Track mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:35 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Stealth mode exhaust sound in Sport/Track mode?

I was wondering what would happen if one were to set the exhaust to Stealth mode and then switch to Sport or Track mode while driving. There are times I would like the power and suspension features of Sport or Track mode but not necessary hear the huge exhaust note. Is the Stealth exhaust mode compatible with either the Sport or Track driving modes?
Old 05-14-2015, 03:07 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I was wondering what would happen if one were to set the exhaust to Stealth mode and then switch to Sport or Track mode while driving. There are times I would like the power and suspension features of Sport or Track mode but not necessary hear the huge exhaust note. Is the Stealth exhaust mode compatible with either the Sport or Track driving modes?
Yes. The Auto setting for Engine Sound Management (ESM) sets NPP behavior based on driver mode dial. Setting ESM to anything other than Auto overrides the mode following and makes your setting the persistent NPP behavior. So Stealth will work fine with any driving mode setting, it will just stay quiet up until a much higher RPM trigger than any other mode. You can even play with the ESM settings while you're driving to hear the difference. Stealth to Track is always a hoot.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
Hell yes, just like track exhaust is available in Eco. This car is awesome!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I just read another post saying that someone did some damage to their exhaust by running in track mode with stealth exhaust. Apparently it didn't allow enough heat to escape.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Try it, put in stealth and as soon as rpm reaches 3500, exhaust opens and screams as it breathes.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have mine set to "Loud" baby "Loud".
Old 05-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
I just read another post saying that someone did some damage to their exhaust by running in track mode with stealth exhaust. Apparently it didn't allow enough heat to escape.
That was CeeSeven in his Z51 car. He ran "Stealth" exhaust setting on-track to hopefully get past the drive-by noise restrictions and damaged an actuator.
S.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Apogee2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

track mode exhaust all day every day!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

I keep the Ride on Sport (sometimes on tour) and and the Exhaust on Track around town and in Tour on the freeways.

My car has NEVER been in Eco mode.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Can a preset button be configured to toggle stealth mode on/off?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Krasch Design
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you set the car up for track exhaust all of the time?
Dealer set mine always loud at idle regardless of console selected mode. But I notice it cuts back to quiet at any cruising speed. WOT is always loud though. I would prefer it always loud.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Krasch Design
Dealer set mine always loud at idle regardless of console selected mode. But I notice it cuts back to quiet at any cruising speed. WOT is always loud though. I would prefer it always loud.

Look in the "My Link" Settings.... Vehicle>......set exhaust from "auto" to "Track".
Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by Krasch Design
As BOBSZ06 said, this mode is programmable in the vehicle settings. Unfortunately, even in the "always open" Track setting, the exhaust valves (NPP) will close occasionally -in ADDITION- to the AFM valves when in V4 mode.

The AFM V4 valves are most likely what you are noticing at cruise if you have an automatic when it falls ino V4 mode. It makes the exhaust quiet no matter what the NPP exhaust valves are doing.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 PM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

new guy question, is there a sound change going from Sport to Track? Did not seem louder to me....
Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TRT SR
new guy question, is there a sound change going from Sport to Track? Did not seem louder to me....
Believe it just has to do with when the bypass exhaust opens
Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's another question (related): When in stealth, it seems to me the power available when gettin' on it is less than when exhaust is set to sport vs.track mode exhaust. Is that real or my imagination? (Both settings when in sport driving mode.)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Krasch Design
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your imagination.
I know with my off road cars the in line 4 cyls. seem much faster than the V twin cars.
Even though they are very close in a drag race.
Both 1000cc, but the 4 cyl.(Sound) screams in comparison to the V twin. When in the seat the difference seems drastic.

Get notified of new replies

To Stealth mode exhaust sound in Sport/Track mode?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Boiler2
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't start throwing stones at me, but my desire is the opposite of the other posts. Most of the time I keep my Z06 in Stealth Mode. All is fine until I really want to get into it and hit that 3,500 rpm mark when hell is let loose. It draws unwanted of attention, but worse yet the exhaust let's everyone know that I am really pushing the car. I'd much rather pull away hard without all the fuss and make it look effortless. But that just can't be done. If I meet a challenge from a fellow driver I must make a big fuss to win the day. I'd rather the car be more of a "sleeper" in that respect. And then there is always the risk of waking up a hiding smoky. Any thoughts as to how I might be able to over ride the by-pass valves and keep them shut at all times in Stealth Mode? At times when the coast is clear and no challengers are in sight I do love to put the ESM in Sport Mode and let all hell break loose.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boiler2
Don't start throwing stones at me, but my desire is the opposite of the other posts. Most of the time I keep my Z06 in Stealth Mode. All is fine until I really want to get into it and hit that 3,500 rpm mark when hell is let loose. It draws unwanted of attention, but worse yet the exhaust let's everyone know that I am really pushing the car. I'd much rather pull away hard without all the fuss and make it look effortless. But that just can't be done. If I meet a challenge from a fellow driver I must make a big fuss to win the day. I'd rather the car be more of a "sleeper" in that respect. And then there is always the risk of waking up a hiding smoky. Any thoughts as to how I might be able to over ride the by-pass valves and keep them shut at all times in Stealth Mode? At times when the coast is clear and no challengers are in sight I do love to put the ESM in Sport Mode and let all hell break loose.
For true full manual control of the NPP valves, Theta's DIY solution is all there is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-retrofit.html
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Boiler2
Don't start throwing stones at me, but my desire is the opposite of the other posts. Most of the time I keep my Z06 in Stealth Mode. All is fine until I really want to get into it and hit that 3,500 rpm mark when hell is let loose.

I LOVE the Stealth Mode exhaust. I am long past loud exhaust on the street. It is awesome that you can put the Z06 in Stealth mode and cruise around in Touring drive mode in total quiet and comfort.
S.

Quick Reply: Stealth mode exhaust sound in Sport/Track mode?