C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Xpel or Suntech

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Xpel or Suntech

Looking to clear wrap my 2015 zo7. Trying to decide between XPEL AND SUNTECH. BOTH ABOUT THE SAME cost
Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by c7jim
Looking to clear wrap my 2015 zo7. Trying to decide between XPEL AND SUNTECH. BOTH ABOUT THE SAME cost
Thoughts?
Both are well known national brands. Each with loyal followers I'm sure.

Personally, I'd closely check out the installers and accept the film the best installer prefers to use.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, the expertise of the installer is critical to proper installation. Either film is great.

You may want to see the film on some cars the installer has worked on to see if you can discern a difference in appearance.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Suntek is 6 mil in thickness, hence might not protect as completely as Xpel Ultimate if a large stone hits the car; it is supposedly optically clearer, and is easier to work with, (meaning wrap around edges, etc), than the Xpel.

Xpel has a longer warranty; is 'self healing' and is 8 mil thick, hence might protect slightly more.

As above, the installer is the main thing to chose before the film used.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I went with Xpel.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I went with xpel but the most important part is the installer.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:49 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts
Default XpeL on today!

Picked up today after full wrap except roof. Double layers on high impact areas. Cant even really tell its installed. If you look for it in very good lighting it can be seen. Have used this installer before. Might be best to go with an staller who also wraps race cars, decals etc. As always, the installer is the weakest link. P.S. i wouldnt consider Suntek if you plan on tracking the car.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 AM
geopunkys
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im considering doing a full xpel wrap on my z07 to but what are you guys paying for this i got quoted $5k for full car
Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 AM
DLC7
Drifting

So you would figure that with the same coverage, using the exact same product, that the prices would be within the same ballpark.

I check 8 different local installers and received a high bid of 8k......funny right? When I heard that number I literally did an about face, as the owner asked, ummmmm you don't want to talk about it? Actually no!

Ended up paying 2k OTD,......Don't let em shiester ya.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:39 AM
geopunkys
Intermediate

Wow very nice 2k out the door for full car minus just the targa panel?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:32 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Default Yep

Originally Posted by geopunkys
Wow very nice 2k out the door for full car minus just the targa panel?
Had P.M.'s with Q's about this....so here is the scoop.

I thought it was a great price as well. Additionally the installer sat me down and listened to what i had in mind with regard to functionality. I did receive quotes as high as 6 to 7.5K

He also showed me a CAD program which he used to custom make the front fang pieces, and displayed each product lined up against one another.

A quick suggestion on arrival after the car is wrapped; a nice bubbly 2 bucket wash, ( I had 2 since it rained in Cali today for the first time in months) then inspect the wrap job.

Even with the best installers, it would be best to hit certain rolled areas with a heat gun very lightly, and work the area a bit.
For example, the very bottom of the door panel as the wrap makes its way into the inside of the car.....

It also helps if she a virgin when you drop her off( see Pic)

Trac wrapped my Z06 for delivery home. Buddy with a new car went to the same installer, upon closer inspection of his paint after 1000 miles, he is bummed.

Last edited by DLC7; 05-15-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM
geopunkys
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DLC7
Had P.M.'s with Q's about this....so here is the scoop.

I thought it was a great price as well. Additionally the installer sat me down and listened to what i had in mind with regard to functionality. I did receive quotes as high as 6 to 7.5K

He also showed me a CAD program which he used to custom make the front fang pieces, and displayed each product lined up against one another.

A quick suggestion on arrival after the car is wrapped; a nice bubbly 2 bucket wash, ( I had 2 since it rained in Cali today for the first time in months) then inspect the wrap job.

Even with the best installers, it would be best to hit certain rolled areas with a heat gun very lightly, and work the area a bit.
For example, the very bottom of the door panel as the wrap makes its way into the inside of the car.....

It also helps if she a virgin when you drop her off( see Pic)

Trac wrapped my Z06 for delivery home. Buddy with a new car went to the same installer, upon closer inspection of his paint after 1000 miles, he is bummed.
Wow great what part of cali im in la i would love to see how it looks on your car also i plan on getting my car wet sanded before clear bra to make the paint look awsome 😉

Sending you a pm
Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with a product called "PPF". According to my detailer he says its the best. Personally I think they are all pretty similar and I do believe like the other posters that the installer and his expertise is whats really important. Not sure if I think the thickness is all that crucial because if your traveling 75mph and a rock hits you from the truck in front of you Iam not convinced that a millimeter of thickness "difference" is going to matter.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
I went with a product called "PPF". According to my detailer he says its the best. Personally I think they are all pretty similar and I do believe like the other posters that the installer and his expertise is whats really important. Not sure if I think the thickness is all that crucial because if your traveling 75mph and a rock hits you from the truck in front of you Iam not convinced that a millimeter of thickness "difference" is going to matter.
PPF is the generic name for all 'Paint Protection Films'.

Bish
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
bryanh99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My installer (who I think did an amazing job) suggested Suntec on the nose because it looks better on lighter cars and but XPEL on the high impact areas (rockers, behind the front and rear wheels) and used Suntec for the window Tint as well.

He first washed waxed (And I think buffed) the car, then applied the wrap - you cannot see it anywhere.

Full Coverage Package $1300 installed including sales tax
- Full Wrapped Hood
- Full Wrapped Fenders
- Mirrors and Door Cups
- Front Bumper kit
- Headlight kit
- A-Pillar kit
+ Rocker Panel kit $400
+ $300 for full tint

So essentially $2000 out the door for the front clip and rockers.

Name:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  361.9 KB
Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Replied to P.M. geopunkys...........

Sometimes ya just, "gotta get errr done"......
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Default ^^^^^^^Soooo nice^^^^^^

Wow. Every time i see that color.....Hmmmm.

Well obviously your installer did a good job. Looks great. Your color selection was my second choice. It was a toss -up. Awesome picture. These cars really POP in the right light.

Also really digging how the SGM changes color when its cloudy outside.
Of course that's only going to happen in California about twice a year.

So it seems two thousand dollars is about what it costs. Have to wonder why some installers turn away business by initially quoting such a high price~ 7.5K?

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel or Suntech

Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I had mine done in Xpel a few days ago. I had the entire front (from the start of the doors forward), the full rockers, mirrors, door handle pockets, pillars and roof done for 2k. Mine only had 125 miles on it and I could already see small pits in the vents in front of the rear tires.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:18 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I went with Xpel.
But my main reason was due to my using the same installer for my 2015, 2011, and 2006. He is surgical in his level of perfection. The installation expertise is by far the most important consideration as long as you get one of the more popular brands.

FYI, my installer used 3M on the prior 2 and Xpel on my 2015. He stated he switched after seeing how scratches fade in sunlight on the Xpel product.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:54 PM
danny1305
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Suntek is 6 mil in thickness, hence might not protect as completely as Xpel Ultimate if a large stone hits the car; it is supposedly optically clearer, and is easier to work with, (meaning wrap around edges, etc), than the Xpel.

Xpel has a longer warranty; is 'self healing' and is 8 mil thick, hence might protect slightly more.

As above, the installer is the main thing to chose before the film used.
Great answer here. Also would add that Xpel in most cases will cost slightly more than Suntek. Both great products

Quick Reply: Xpel or Suntech