C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'Ring time incoming!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Crabbers
There is obviously no time coming any time soon. I think this should be closed because it's just devolved into the usual pissing contest.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:35 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by krosnjar
Porsche quality is delusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eXUnZrykDY

Not to mention recent gt3 911 fire problems.

I am not saying corvette is better quality but most manufactures have their own problems.
That is brutal. Then there is the 10 years of failed engines that Porsche tried to ignore.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

For those of you that don't want to read through 600 posts, let me summarize it for you.

"Z06 is way better than Porsche. Porsche sucks"

"Z06 sucks, Porsche is better"

*lots of butthurt and fighting*

*Still no ring time*
Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

For those of you that don't want to read through 600 posts, let me summarize it for you.

*Still no ring time*

Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 AM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

*Still no ring time*
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GraphicDisorder

Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
That's where we disagree then, poor quality control, overweight, low tech slushbox, dipping into the usual bag of old hot rod tricks and marketing, it's the same old GM.
The off-topic distraction and comments directed at me about the Porsche, well you might as well reload and **** the hammer because I drive a ZR1 not a Porsche. Paulchristian's remark (And I like him a lot as a good CF poster) simply reflects a disagreement we have about the success of the C7 Z06.

To re-clarify my post, no I do not agree with him that it is good enough to benchmark an old in-house design from 2005 and supposed halo car that is indisputably a solid performer but dated, brush off the blueprints, do practically nothing to it fundamentally different, give it some faster tires and offer self congratulatory plaudits for what is not yet proved on the track (as the current thread topic demonstrates.)

To the contrary, there's mounting evidence it's unsuitable for track duty. I've believed it all along before Jeremy Clarkson said it, over hyped and not reliable. It's not going to be a success in Europe, which was one of the C7 missions. The Europeans are far more circumspect. The C7 is a domestic triumph of style and marketing in the current economy but an engineering disaster. The C7 Stingray project started with what appeared to be well balanced, modern and updated goals, and they were testing it all over the country in varied (often winter time) conditions. But for the Z06 they jay walked over to the GM performance parts bin. And now there is a cooling problem(s). They thought they could drop in more horsepower and some winglets and flares, but all that airflow that went to making down force somehow forgot that it needs to draw heat away through the exchangers. Acceleration and cornering are good, maybe better but speed on top has been significantly reduced.

All in all, how do you call that a success when the criteria for performance changed but not the amounts, when creatures comforts were enhanced but so was the weight, when reliability has exposed critical vulnerabilities? Meanwhile, the supercar competitors from Nissan, Porsche, Lamborghini, Viper ACR have all advanced their track prowess, and that's why the C7 Z06 is not dominant, and to even have a Ring time would be a whitewashing.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
yes for 3 laps then…..

I kid, I kid
If you look at the positive, it doesn't need a warm-up lap.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:21 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

The off-topic distraction and comments directed at me about the Porsche, well you might as well reload and **** the hammer because I drive a ZR1 not a Porsche. Paulchristian's remark (And I like him a lot as a good CF poster) simply reflects a disagreement we have about the success of the C7 Z06.

To re-clarify my post, no I do not agree with him that it is good enough to benchmark an old in-house design from 2005 and supposed halo car that is indisputably a solid performer but dated, brush off the blueprints, do practically nothing to it fundamentally different, give it some faster tires and offer self congratulatory plaudits for what is not yet proved on the track (as the current thread topic demonstrates.)

To the contrary, there's mounting evidence it's unsuitable for track duty. I've believed it all along before Jeremy Clarkson said it, over hyped and not reliable. It's not going to be a success in Europe, which was one of the C7 missions. The Europeans are far more circumspect. The C7 is a domestic triumph of style and marketing in the current economy but an engineering disaster. The C7 Stingray project started with what appeared to be well balanced, modern and updated goals, and they were testing it all over the country in varied (often winter time) conditions. But for the Z06 they jay walked over to the GM performance parts bin. And now there is a cooling problem(s). They thought they could drop in more horsepower and some winglets and flares, but all that airflow that went to making down force somehow forgot that it needs to draw heat away through the exchangers. Acceleration and cornering are good, maybe better but speed on top has been significantly reduced.

All in all, how do you call that a success when the criteria for performance changed but not the amounts, when creatures comforts were enhanced but so was the weight, when reliability has exposed critical vulnerabilities? Meanwhile, the supercar competitors from Nissan, Porsche, Lamborghini, Viper ACR have all advanced their track prowess, and that's why the C7 Z06 is not dominant, and to even have a Ring time would be a whitewashing.
Sounds like sour grapes...
Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Sounds like sour grapes...
Actually, .....: I think he has valid points.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
That is brutal. Then there is the 10 years of failed engines that Porsche tried to ignore.
In the end he traded his new M3 for another Porsche 991 but don't take my word for it you can read it here.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/841279-after-4-months-in-the-m4-i-have-decided-to-return-to-the-991-911-a.html

Last edited by TARANTULA; 07-01-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

*Still no ring time*
Appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

If you look at the positive, it doesn't need a warm-up lap.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
In the end he traded his new M3 for another Porsche 991 but don't take my word for it you can read it here.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/841279-after-4-months-in-the-m4-i-have-decided-to-return-to-the-991-911-a.html
Well I would prefer the 911 over the M as well... But that doesnt mean he didnt have a ton of issues with his first 911. Maybe he hoped it wouldnt happen again.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Actually, .....: I think he has valid points.
Using extreme terms; "engineering disaster", is an instant turn off and lacks rationality and credibility. It smacks of, please don't trump my ZR1.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Using extreme terms; "engineering disaster", is an instant turn off and lacks rationality and credibility. It smacks of, please don't trump my ZR1.
Yea, it does but the Corvette is designed and meant as a high performance car. It's designed around track use even though only a small percentage use it that way. Not to have seen this over heating issue kind of implies what he said, that they took the base model and souped it up in the standard way and didn't really engineer and test their changes. Maybe it was pushed out too soon, manufacturers some times push the schedule for profit motives.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

And your responses scream "I will not tolerate any ill words towards my car".

Lock lock lock lock. This thread is pointless.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Ring time incoming!!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Yea, it does but the Corvette is designed and meant as a high performance car. It's designed around track use even though only a small percentage use it that way. Not to have seen this over heating issue kind of implies what he said, that they took the base model and souped it up in the standard way and didn't really engineer and test their changes. Maybe it was pushed out too soon, manufacturers some times push the schedule for profit motives.
Considering, that pretty much every corvette has had cooling issues, this isn't anything new.
Honestly, I kind of expect it along with a chintzy interior.

Though the C7, doesn't have a chintzy interior by any stretch.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Fair enough. I think your comments center on track performance and are therefore valid. However, EVERY single C7 (Stingray or ZO6) driver I see on the street has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peal...Every single one (even here in Bahrain). I would be shocked if more than 5% of owners put these cars on a track. For this reason, I am not sure if the overheating issue will ever be addressed...may have to wait for the C8 for GM to address this...
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI guys!

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/7/2...Happy-7727859/

Quick Reply: 'Ring time incoming!!