C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'Ring time incoming!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Whether I or anyone else cares the Nurburgring is a benchmark. And it is one of the most significant benchmarks in the automotive industry. The C5 and C6 Z06 wore 'Ring times as a badge of honor.

The C7 Z06 was introduced at NAIS on stage there was a Nurburgring map in the background and a "we validate performance at the Ring" statement from the Chief engineer.

The fact that there is not only no Z06 time but also no Stingray time going into year 4 of production is highly suspect. No two ways about it. It's one thing if they never went to the 'Ring it but to have now run it possibly three times, with their same record setting driver, and no times released is ridiculous.

Talk is cheap - "Do the Math" and "We are very Happy" is not enough.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:42 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Well said Game.......
Thanks Keith, what up brother
Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Oh absolutely, a favorable time would be very nice to see indeed but would not be a make or break factor for myself. I bought the car without knowing what it can do at the "ring" as tens of thousands of others have done also. I think some get a little carried away with a 5 or 10 second delta between various cars when a lap takes 7 or 8 minutes. Number one you are not really going to feel that difference and number two being that of test variability(track conditions, environmental factors, driver variability, etc.)
Folks buy cars like the C7Z for different reasons with varying degrees of importance placed on looks, comfort, and performance. I am a devout 50-year Corvette enthusiast and owner, but the Ring time (or lack thereof) was definitely a factor in my purchase of a new ACR instead of a C7Z (I did keep my C6Z). The Ring time is an indication of performance potential, and GMs waffling on a time after obviously having been at the track indicated that there was some sort of capability issue. A time near that of the ZR1 would not have bothered me at all - that is a good time for a street car on factory tires. However, GM not being up-front on why they did not at least discuss the performance of the C7 left me cold and did contribute to my decision. The ACR doesn't have a Ring time either (although documented performance at other tracks has been good), but SRT doesn't appear to be hiding something by talking around the issue. Just my $.02 worth.

Pappy
The following 2 users liked this post by mfain:
Rodbuster56 (05-01-2016), sam90lx (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Thanks Keith, what up brother

Same old Chris weather has been bad so no seat time yet but soon I hope....How's the mods going?...all the best of luck with that hope all works out great.....

Last edited by svtkeith; 05-01-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:34 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
We all chip in. Hire pro driver to run the ring
It's not that easy. I've got friends that were at the Ring when the 2010 Viper SRT set the record. You've got to pretty much rent the damn place because having to pass one or two slower cars can totally screw up the run. Then there is the weather, which can often times suck. If the weather conditions aren't perfect, it can mean many seconds difference in track times...and I'm not talking about rain. Just the differences in track and ambient temps, humidity, etc will cause a time difference when the track is 12 miles long.

Track support is key,....The 2010 effort had two 2010 Viper ACR's there trying to set the record. They failed during their allotted track time. The weather wasn't great and one of the Vipers actually broke down and was parked on the side of the track (you can see it in the actual Ring record run video). Luckily for SRT Ron Howard was filming the F1 movie "Rush" and had the Ring reserved the next day. They didn't have a shoot in the morning and graciously offered the track time to the crew at SRT and that is when they set the record. It was an awesome run and an awesome time but there was a lot of luck involved it getting that 7:12 time.

GM has the money and support to run the car.....they just don't want to or don't want to release the time.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
So

Look at your admission above. You are a typical new owner that knows this, and your conflicted!
Not to mention your obvious relavent Wing envy. I didn't invent psychology!

The cooling issue and/or its track stability prove out here too! "We would know!!!":
https://youtu.be/L02cJmp7zFs
This is Corvette number 8 for me and am a proud new owner of a C7 Z06. I have no "conflicts" what so ever regarding my Z06. I love this car and could honestly care less what kind of a "ring time" it may do.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by drmustang
This is Corvette number 8 for me and am a proud new owner of a C7 Z06. I have no "conflicts" what so ever regarding my Z06. I love this car and could honestly care less what kind of a "ring time" it may do.
All that and the fact that you don't live in a dingy little apartment and drive a clapped out old C5. I would guess if you wanted a Viper you would have bought a Viper.
S.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBird440
someone has stock in the ring... lol and "under-monetized" is that a word?
It is now. Kindly send me a nickel each time you use it. I will save the royalties up until I have enough to send a driver to the 'Ring to get a proper time.

In any event, the REAL question now is: What's the Ring time for the 2017 NSX? ;-)

Last edited by ChrisN123; 05-01-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:30 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Same old Chris weather has been bad so no seat time yet but soon I hope....How's the mods going?...all the best of luck with that hope all works out great.....
Yea weather here has been spotty as well. It's going fine, car is actually at ECS now getting the work done. Nothing crazy probably a 600-625rwhp street car. Should be fun and pretty reliable with Doug tuning it
svtkeith (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

They got and own you! Your married!
NOW you know my secret....
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Whether I or anyone else cares the Nurburgring is a benchmark. And it is one of the most significant benchmarks in the automotive industry. The C5 and C6 Z06 wore 'Ring times as a badge of honor.

The C7 Z06 was introduced at NAIS on stage there was a Nurburgring map in the background and a "we validate performance at the Ring" statement from the Chief engineer.

The fact that there is not only no Z06 time but also no Stingray time going into year 4 of production is highly suspect. No two ways about it. It's one thing if they never went to the 'Ring it but to have now run it possibly three times, with their same record setting driver, and no times released is ridiculous.

Talk is cheap - "Do the Math" and "We are very Happy" is not enough.
Love to see who's decision it was to plaster "ring stickers and signs" everywhere at the reveal? Probably the same person that came up with the brilliant "jeep flares" on the front fenders.
Hirohawa (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

He was a car Guy!
What is your first language?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:57 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

I don't spend all my waking moments involved with racing, but, I have had track tires on my old toy in the dryer months since 2005. I care how they are working in totality, and bang for the buck!
Your definitely fine with your cars normal so The Ring time and all is more superficial in your eyes. Am I wrong?
Thanks for expressing your opinion without being an a.....e!
Yeah, I respect and sincerely envy the guys who have the ability to participate meaningfully in events at Sebring, Mid Ohio, etc. I am not capable of doing that but certainly tip my hat to the guys here who have invested the time and money to aquire these skills.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Your right and fixed those new spelling errors in my title (Which you couldn't reference !)
I was being serious not insulting you.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:49 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

And the best ones aren't on here wasting their time brow beat anyone.
I like going to the drag strip. Can't wait to get some more break in miles on this Z06. I'd probably be in the grass more than on the pavement if I attempted a road course, LOL.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

A "Ring Time" is not going to be a make or break component for 95-99% of C7Z buyers/owners. It is however a well deserved "Badge of Honor" as said by a member in a previous post above and an influential marketing tool for the brand. I think most are disappointed that GM did not announce a time after they implied it set a new benchmark...at least for GM. If it meant nothing to everyone this post would not exist.

I have given up on a Ring Time for the current C7Z but certainly take note of any future C7, C8, Porsche, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, Mercedes, etc Ring Times. It's a noteworthy benchmark just as any new technology coming into the automotive world is an interesting read.

Have A Great Monday.
Hirohawa (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
A "Ring Time" is not going to be a make or break component for 95-99% of C7Z buyers/owners. It is however a well deserved "Badge of Honor" as said by a member in a previous post above and an influential marketing tool for the brand. I think most are disappointed that GM did not announce a time after they implied it set a new benchmark...at least for GM. If it meant nothing to everyone this post would not exist.

I have given up on a Ring Time for the current C7Z but certainly take note of any future C7, C8, Porsche, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, Mercedes, etc Ring Times. It's a noteworthy benchmark just as any new technology coming into the automotive world is an interesting read.

Have A Great Monday.
Well said.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Ring time incoming!!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM
KKreme15
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine actually thinking Chevy will release a ring time for the c7 z06
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by KKreme15
Imagine actually thinking Chevy will release a ring time for the c7 z06
I can guarantee you that 99% of the people who are interested in cars and performance will not lose a minute of sleep over a Z06 "ring time". Non issue for all but a handful.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Milner and the C7R team doesn't!

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...-road-atlanta/

Mero used PTM at The Ring in the ZR1 too!
Stop quoting yourself

Quick Reply: 'Ring time incoming!!